• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Malcolm X

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
Malcolm X was a civil rights activist. Overshadowed by the more famous and peaceful Martin Luther King Jr, he was a member of the Nation of Islam. Uneducated until he taught himself in prison, he joined the Nation after leaving prison. He rose to the top of the Nation and preached to his audience that blacks were the original race, were superior to whites, and deserved their own separate country apart from whites. he also helped establish "by any means necessary" to establish freedom and safety for blacks. He was revered by many blacks and to many explained their problems better than the civil rights movement.

He eventually left the nation, converted to Sunni Islam, and made his hajj to Mecca. His teachings still influenced a wide range of people, and he was a much sought-after speaker, especially for colleges across the nation. he received many death threats after leaving the Nation and was eventually assassinated in the Audubon Ballroom in Manhattan on February 21, 1965. All three men convicted of his murder have been paroled.

So, what is your opinion on Malcolm X. I think he was a great man, who fought for what he believed in. Any means necessary may seem to vrutal, but it sometimes is what it took. He fought for the rights of blacks, and although a little extreme, his influence cannot be denied.

I loved talking about the civil rights movement. Huge history fan here.

Many people misunderstand Malcolm X at times. Malcolm X wanted to keep the society segregated, but did not want the whites controlling anything the blacks did. Malcolm wanted a seperate society for both blacks and whites. With this separation, the whites and blacks would never have disputes with each other again, and racial inequality wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, there would be no communication between the two groups, which would cause two separate nations. This is very extreme. And many people, I believe, realize this and frown up on his beliefs.

But if you look deeper, his approach to this 'dream' was very solid. Malcolm X wanted NO violence. Yes it's true. However, violence was allowed if they were first attacked. This would seem logical, why should they put up with violence against them with no ramifications? The goal would be peace, but peace could be tossed out if violent acts were committed against them. It wasn't until his later days where he became less extreme and more humble with everything.

Overall, Malcolm X could be looked at as a masive dick during his Nation of Islam days. However, people should look at the bigger picture. He fought for what he believed in no matter the consequence, and that's something we should all do. He stood up for what he believed in when that wasn't the norm during those days. Malcolm X should be severly respected. He's a hero to every minority in the United States and should be treated as such.

Reactions: TSG
As an African-American, Malcolm X is a black idol of mines along with Huey Newton and Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X although seen as a troublemaker was very outspoken and had a no-nonsense attitude, He really helped blacks and put himself in their shoes like MLK but his views were more logical and more persuadable to the average black man on the street, I don't think there's any explanation needed. This man helped us blacks.

I'm of African American decent and I have to tell you; I can't stand the teachings and ideals of Malcolm X.

Don't get me wrong. I admire the person Malcolm X. He had his beliefs and he fought for them. Anyone that is brave enough to do that deserves admiration. He was one hell of a speaker and he was also very intelligent. The man Malcolm X remains one of the most interesting and influential leaders of the Civil Rights Movement.

Having said that; what he taught is what I have issues with. The man wanted to keep the races segregated. While this may have solved the problem of violence against the races, this would not have solved the problem of racism and this was not what America was supposed to be about. America was supposed to be a place where any and every one could live together. No matter race, religion, or creed. Malcolm X believed that Blacks were superior to Whites. So, in essence, his teachings were also racist.

The man was amazing; however, his message was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back