• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Make Your Case For the Video Game Hall of Fame

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now, this was inspired by a thread Tenta mentioned, which involved people making their cases for wrestling hall of fame inductees. I want to take this idea, and adapt it.
Basically, if there was a video games hall of fame, what game should go in it? One rule, though: You can't pick overly obvious games like the first Mario or Zelda. I want to get people to really think, so I'm promoting all sorts of debates. In fact, I WANT people to debate!

Anyway, I will be making the case for several games. First off, I would like to present...

PaRappa The Rapper
parappa.jpg

What it Was:
PaRappa the Rapper was an odd little Japanese game for the PS1, that was brought to America where it became a hit. The paper character designs and unique art style, along with the catchy tunes and innovative-for-its-time control scheme made it immensely poular, enough to spawn two sequels and tons of merchandise.

Why is it HoF Worthy?
PaRappa was pretty much the first music game...ever. Without it, we wouldn't have any Guitar Heroes or Rock Bands or Frequency or any of that. PaRappa proved that widget series' from Japan could work in America, and work well, and it blazed the trail for an all new genre: The rhythm game.

In my continuing act of "fanboyism", I am now going to attempt to convince you about one of the greatest games I have ever played. I will attempt to tell you why it should be inducted into the Hall Of Fame and why I love it so much. The game I will be promoting is:

cover.jpg

CRASH BANDICOOT

For over a decade, Crash Bandicoot has been giving me ours of endless fun as his series of games continues to grow. Now, I may not be as big a fan of the latest games as I was of the older ones and the original in particular but I am still a fan of the series. You see, Crash Bandicoot was the first game that I ever played on my PlayStation over 13 years ago. I remember playing it for the first time and having my mind blown by how fun and arrogantly cocky the game seemed to be. Of course, at that time, games like this were just coming into fashion. Spyro and Ray-Man had captured people imaginations and Crash Bandicoot could have been another name added to the long list of people who were trying to cash in on all of the new found buzz.

However, the game was just exceptional. From the first level, I knew thatb this game was going to be something special. At this time, there was no reviews of games for me and I was far too young to understand what I do now about the video games industry. No! At this time, there was a naive sense of worth about the game that had no real fantastic features. It was such a simplistic game that really spoke to me in a huge way. I mean, all it did was break boxes, spin and jump on the heads of other creatures. It is not a game that was wrapped up in graphics or intelligent gameplay. It was just a fun game that you could sit down and play at any time. You could escape the real world into the life of a comedic Bandicoot that would travel from world to world and there was something very innocent and worthwhile about that.

To this day, it still remains one of my favourite games and series of games. The world of gaming has progressed at a rapid rate but it is the memories and great times that you have playing a game that really makes it stand out in your mind. There is no other game for me, than Crash Bandicoot.

So, you're saying it deserves its spot because it was fun? Seriously, Dave?
I'll grant you that Crash was fun. Hell, I absolutely adored the game. But just because it's enjoyable doesn't mean it's good enough to be in a hall of fame.

What did it innovate? There were loads of platformers already out by the time it was released. If we were to induct every good platformer, we'd have to induct Spyro, Conker's Bad Fur Day (Though, that one would be a good game to argue. Another time, I suppose), and COUNTLESS others.

Crash Bandicoot isn't an international symbol. Hell, he was barely a symbol at all. He was just another anthropomorphic wannabe mascot.

When you said that you were going to try and debate me on this topic, I thought you actually had something substantial to debate with. Nevertheless, I am here to kick your ass with my Bandicoot pal for back-up so here goes.

So, you're saying it deserves its spot because it was fun? Seriously, Dave?
I'll grant you that Crash was fun. Hell, I absolutely adored the game. But just because it's enjoyable doesn't mean it's good enough to be in a hall of fame.

Are you serious!? You are telling me that a game that was immensely fun and entertaining to play should not be inducted to a Hall of Fame because of that exact same reason? If this indeed that case, Doc, what is the exact criteria for being inducted into this Hall Of Fame? Should it be based on the character themselves? Should it be based on the graphics? Or should it be based on the amount of sales it has garnered since it was released? No! Of course it isn't. As is the case for any Hall of Fame, it is the overall impact that the game has had and how much enjoyability people have had out of it. I see that no one has been in here to argue for Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 yet, although that is smashing sales records left and right. People may have bought it but do they enjoy it? I doubt it. I have heard people bitch constantly about it since it was released and although it has sold millions of copies thus far, people will not remember it for being a great gaming experience. However, Crash is just that and that counts for everything.

What did it innovate? There were loads of platformers already out by the time it was released. If we were to induct every good platformer, we'd have to induct Spyro, Conker's Bad Fur Day (Though, that one would be a good game to argue. Another time, I suppose), and COUNTLESS others.

Crash Bandicoot has always been viewed as a pretty inventive game. Whether it is being riding a hog through a maze of pointy things or whether it is trying to dodge boxes of unstable nuclear material. The point of the game was to be something different from the games that existed at that time. We have all heard the stories that Crash Bandicot was supposed to be alternative to Mario and Sonic and I think that Sony accomplished this. Crash was much edgier and this series was far ahead of this time. The classic characters of games are always seen as being the Nintendo and Sega alternatives but I seriously think that Crash was a better character. There was much more to him and he was a genuinely interesting and humerous character. Around this time, all of the developers to having the next Mario or Sonic and I think that Crash got the closest to it through inventive and varied gameplay.

Crash Bandicoot isn't an international symbol. Hell, he was barely a symbol at all. He was just another anthropomorphic wannabe mascot.

I can;t believe you said that. Honestly. Crash Bandicoot has been as successful as any character outside of Mario and Sonic. Crash was the idol of my gaming life for over 5 years and I still occasionally play the earlier games. Sure, he has faded away in recent years but this should not detract from the earlier series of games which were impeccable. It's quite funny that you should say something about the character I have chosen, when the character you have chosen has had less of an impact and I would hazard a guess that a lot of people would recognise Crash Bandicoot before they recognised Parappa. Truth!

When you said that you were going to try and debate me on this topic, I thought you actually had something substantial to debate with.
Hey, I had to start somewhere. Gotta get you so pissed you type out a long post for me to dissect. :)

Nevertheless, I am here to kick your ass with my Bandicoot pal for back-up so here goes.
OH SHIT. DAVE 5 MONSTA IS GONNA PWN MY ASS.

Are you serious!? You are telling me that a game that was immensely fun and entertaining to play should not be inducted to a Hall of Fame because of that exact same reason?
Pretty much. It's pretty much agreed on in these forums that Koko B. Ware shouldn't be in the hall of fame, and all he was was fun and entertaining.

If this indeed that case, Doc, what is the exact criteria for being inducted into this Hall Of Fame?
Personally, I think it should be on innovation, how many imitators it had, lasting cultural appeal, whether it stands the test of time, what it inspired, and how many systems it shifted. Though, the last one isn't as important as the others and can even be ignored.

As is the case for any Hall of Fame, it is the overall impact that the game has had and how much enjoyability people have had out of it.
See, I bolded "overall impact" for a reason. What is the OVERALL IMPACT of Crash Bandicoot? Hmm, a recognizable character that helped Sony win the console war- Oh, wait. Um...A long-running series that has dropped off in quality and become a laughingstock- Oh, nope, that's not it either. No one cares about the Crash series anymore. You see Mario and Sonic cameos everywhere. Hell, you see Kirby cameos everywhere. But no one talks about Crash Bandicoot anymore.

However, Crash is just that and that counts for everything.

Not really. Plenty of games are fun. Plenty of games are enjoyable. They don't all deserve to be in the HoF. Graffiti Kingdom, Death and Return of Superman, Smackdown vs. RAW 2010, Dr. Mario 64 - All fun. But they are not Hall-worthy.

Crash Bandicoot has always been viewed as a pretty inventive game.
[citation needed]

Whether it is being riding a hog through a maze of pointy things or whether it is trying to dodge boxes of unstable nuclear material.
Oh gee, vehicle levels and dodging while platforming. THAT hadn't been done a zillion times before. :rolleyes:

The point of the game was to be something different from the games that existed at that time. We have all heard the stories that Crash Bandicot was supposed to be alternative to Mario and Sonic and I think that Sony accomplished this.
Different, yes. Unique? ...No.

Crash was much edgier and this series was far ahead of this time.
Yeah, collecting apples and stomping boxes. Reeeeeal edgy. As for "Far ahead of this time"...I'm not seeing it. Come on, Dave, don't resort to trite phrases! Sell me!

The classic characters of games are always seen as being the Nintendo and Sega alternatives but I seriously think that Crash was a better character.
...What?

There was much more to him and he was a genuinely interesting and humorous character.
He was a bandicoot that stretched out when he fell through holes. He also had a sister and a jetski. How deep!

Around this time, all of the developers to having the next Mario or Sonic and I think that Crash got the closest to it through inventive and varied gameplay.
I'll give you this.

I can't believe you said that. Honestly. Crash Bandicoot has been as successful as any character outside of Mario and Sonic. Crash was the idol of my gaming life for over 5 years and I still occasionally play the earlier games.
So, because YOU love him and he's a major part of YOUR life he should be honored like this? If Cool Spot the 7 Up Mascot was a major part of your life, would you be gunning for him?

Sure, he has faded away in recent years
Faded away? That's an understatement. His games have sucked royally. Crash/Spyro Crossover? Sucked. Crash Boom Bang? Terrible. Outside of those, has he HAD any games really recently? If he did, they were probably awful.

but this should not detract from the earlier series of games which were impeccable.
Impeccable is a bit much. Good, absolutely, but...impeccable?
I agree with judging by the early days. It's the reason Michael Jackson is being honored as the king of pop rather than the guy who was acquitted of child molestation.

It's quite funny that you should say something about the character I have chosen, when the character you have chosen has had less of an impact and I would hazard a guess that a lot of people would recognise Crash Bandicoot before they recognised Parappa.
Maybe they'd recognize Crash, but PaRappa had more impact. It was the FIRST PROPER RHYTHM GAME EVER. Think about that. It created a whole genre, one that is massive these days. Maybe the CHARACTER isn't as well known, but it influenced massively. Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Guitar Freaks, Frequency, Dance Dance Revolution, need I go on?
All Crash was was a good platformer.

What's Up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back