Lupe Fiasco

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
This kid has been around awhile, but he doesn't seem to get a ton of recognition. He has been getting more with his new release Lasers and his single The Show Goes On.

However, this guy is more than one album. With releases like Food and Liquor and The Cool, I think Lupe has established himself as a top lyricist in modern rap. No matter how many people know of him, if you listen to his music you cannot deny he has some sick rhymes. Some of the stuff he comes up with is great, and will leave you wondering how he does it. Coupled with a great rhythm and flow to his words, he is becoming one of the tope rappers in the game, in my opinion.

So, what do you guys think of Lupe? Have you heard him yet? If you have, do you like him? What do you think his future holds for him? Discuss away.

I love Lupe, but Lasers is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever heard. It's not even Lupe Fiasco, and that's probably why it was never supposed to be released in the first place, because it's nothing but guest stars, terrible hip-pop produced tracks, mediocre rhymes, and Lupe showing up every once and a while. I hate that album so very much, especially because his first two albums were very good. I loved Food & Liquor when it came out. Lupe is good, but man, Lasers is so fucking terrible that it's going to take a hell of an album to bounce back in my eyes.

Good lord was Lasers horrendously awful. It wasn't a Lupe Fiasco album. It should have been named "Random shit artists over techno beats with Lupe rhyming for 30 seconds one each track". The beats were not for Lupe, and from what I read he didn't use his usual producers for this album. Definitely a big let down after all the bullshit surrounding the album. I'm hoping Lupe goes back to what he's good at rather than letting these fools try talking him into following the shit that is on the Top 100. If he gets back to that Food & Liquor sound, it'll all be gravy. Whether it was Universal (known to utterly cut great albums into shit against the artist's wishes) or Lupe trying a new sound, he needs to regroup and plan out his next album better.

I haven't heard most of the album yet: I haven't gotten around to it. According to you guys I probably don't want to: I enjoyed The Show Goes On and Words I never Said wasn't bad in my opinion, but I guess two songs never will be able to make an album.

One of my favorite songs of Fiasco is "Kick, Push," and just the unique sound of it is enough. It tells a great story and has a good flow, and just has a unique sound of it's own. That is one thing about Lupe I love: the sound like you hear on his songs like that. It's a shame Lasers didn't live up to his last two, but it could be a thing like Eminem: where he sagged for a bit. I'm sure Lupe will catch back up to his regular self soon enough.

I think that Lupe's style makes him suffer. Today's music industry like's people who copy each other. It sucks but it's reality. They like band wagon jumpers because they are band wagon jumpers. A large group of people say someone or something is hot, than the majority will go with that idea. Like Lil Wayne, the autotune when it was hot, and other things like that. Lupe suffers because he isn't being like someone else. The album suffered because he is trying to do what others want him to do, but people who listen to Lupe expect him to be Lupe, and the were dissappointed by the Lasers album. I prefer him to be different because the rap/hip hop whatever you want to call it, scene is dead. It's so crowded with horrible spitters and copy cat artists that it's a huge trash dumpster now.

Reactions: TSG
Given that I haven't heard from Lupe Fiasco in around 4 or 5 years, I would say that my opinion here shouldn't be valued too highly. That being said, it is an opinion all the same.

For me, Lupe Fiasco is nothing too special. The only song I have heard from him that I even remotely liked is “Superstar” and Lord knows how long ago that was. For all of the time since that was released, I was just under the impression that he was a one-hit-wonder and had disappeared off of the face of the Earth. For that reason, it doesn't come as a surprise to me that no one is really going wild over his latest album. Now, obviously, I haven't heard the album in full but what I have looked up today seems to be pretty poor to be fair.

That being said, I wasn't exactly expecting miracles from Lupe Fiasco. Like I said, when one disappears from my radar for a long time, it is generally for a good reason. His reason just happened to be that he wasn't very good at performing music.

Too bad really.

I have been a Lupe fan for a long time now. He really caught my eye when he did Touch the Sky with Kanye. He literally blew me away in that song and I hadn't heard anything yet. Food and Liquor is an excellent album with amazing lyrics and beats. He was really talking from his heart in it. The came The Cool and once again I was blown away. He just knows how to reach into his soul and pour it into his music. And while others here didn't like Laser, I did. It wasn't as great as his first albums but I still enjoyed it. I hear Food and Liquor part II is what he is going to work on next and if that album is anything like part I then it will be very good.

Lupe I've known him for a while and heard some of his songs and he's really good. Talks about the real things going on in life, and can do Rock too. He's just waiting for the right time to strike.

For me, Lupe Fiasco is nothing too special. The only song I have heard from him that I even remotely liked is “Superstar” and Lord knows how long ago that was. For all of the time since that was released, I was just under the impression that he was a one-hit-wonder and had disappeared off of the face of the Earth.

Lupe's first two albums were both tremendous and filled with great songs. If "Superstar" is the only song of his that you like then I'm questioning whether you've really heard much of his music. Superstar was a song for the charts and while better then most singles that mainstream artists put out it is still far from his best work.

That being said, I wasn't exactly expecting miracles from Lupe Fiasco. Like I said, when one disappears from my radar for a long time, it is generally for a good reason. His reason just happened to be that he wasn't very good at performing music.

There were a number of reason as to why it took Lupe a while to put out another album and it sure as fuck wasn't "he wasn't very good at performing music." He had some label issues with a triple album he was going to put out and he also has a lot of ventures outside of music. Many rappers go on hiatuses for a multitude of reasons. Lasers was a shit album but most rappers have them. His next album, Food and Liquor II, I expect will bring him back to his original music roots and will be a great album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back