Looking Back: WrestleMania XI

The Brain

King Of The Ring
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve done an old ppv review. They don’t get a lot of replies, but I enjoy them anyway. This time I’m going to discuss WrestleMania XI. From what I’ve read a lot of people consider this to be one of the worst WrestleManias. I would have to agree that it is near the bottom. Let’s take a look at this match by match and see how good or bad it was and if we can come up with ideas that could have made it better. Remember if you have a suggestion to make it better you need to keep it real like it’s 1995. Hulk Hogan wasn’t going to show up and wrestle Bret Hart. I’d love to hear suggestions, but you have to work with what WWF had at the time. Let’s get started.

Lex Luger and Davey Boy Smith vs. Jacob and Eli Blu: This match was pretty much pointless. I think the idea here was to introduce the new team of Luger and Bulldog. The problem was no one cared about Jacob and Eli Blu. Beating them didn’t really mean anything. Also Luger would be back in WCW in five months so the new team never meant much either. My suggestion to make this better: Lex Luger vs. Davey Boy Smith one on one. They could have had a confrontation at the Rumble. They could have been working together during the Rumble and one could have eliminated the other from behind causing friction between the two. Neither would turn heel, but they would decide to settle their differences at Mania. After a hard fought match they would discover mutual respect for each other. They would shake hands after the match and then form their team. I think this is better than a tag match no one cared about.

Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett: No problem here. A good match and a good feud over the IC title. I would have left this as is. This also set up a tag feud between Razor and Kid vs. Jarrett and Roadie. Kid ended up getting hurt again spoiling those plans, but this was good for Mania.

Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy: This is a good feud on paper. The match was not good. Honestly at the time I would not have changed anything. Bundy seemed like a worthy opponent for Taker at Mania. It’s just one of those cases where the match didn’t live up to the feud. Sometimes it happens.

The Smoking Gunns vs. Owen Hart and Yokozuna: This was all about the return of Yokozuna and Owen getting his first title and didn’t really have much to do about the Gunns. This was done well for Owen’s character. He was desperate to surpass Bret’s legacy and getting the tag titles was the first step. He needed a partner and got the biggest guy he could find. I like how he pointed out that his partner also beat Bret for the world title. This wasn’t anything great for Mania standards, but it got Owen his title and brought Yoko back.

Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund: This was a rare Bret Hart miss. Not a very good match at all. I’ve been back and forth on if I would have done this differently. I think I might have booked Bret vs. Hakushi instead. Most of you are probably thinking I’m crazy. No way was Hakushi a big enough name to wrestle Bret at Mania. That may be true, but hear me out. Bret and Hakushi had begun a feud just prior to Mania. Hakushi was new to the WWF and had a high flying style that hadn’t really been seen in WWF yet. Obviously Mania draws more viewers than any other show. This year in particular drew some new viewers thanks to Lawrence Taylor’s involvement. I think Bret and Hakushi could have put on a show that would have made the new viewers take notice and maybe gotten them to tune in the next night. This could have been a major push for Hakushi and gotten him over as a top heel. Hakushi’s one year run in the WWF was nothing special, but maybe he could have done better if he had gotten the opportunity to work with Bret at Mania. My idea has nothing to do with the Backlund match not delivering. I think this Mania drew more new viewers than usual. Because of this I think Hakushi’s style should have been showcased over Backlund’s style.

Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels: This was a very good match. I would have preferred if this was the main event. The problem is Shawn Michaels wasn’t really a main event name yet and Diesel suddenly became a main eventer only a few months earlier. After years of Hulk Hogan main eventing Mania Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels didn’t have that main event sex appeal. LT was brought in because of this. LT’s appearance helped spike ppv buys, but the title match should have gone last. If Diesel and Michaels were going to lead the new generation they should have at least seemed more important that the LT special attraction. At the time I thought maybe Bret Hart vs. Diesel would have been a better main event. I was thinking it should have been Shawn vs. Diesel at the Rumble and Bret should have been held off until Mania. Looking back I’m glad that didn’t happen. Winning the Rumble from the #1 position is what pushed Shawn to the next level. His match with Diesel at Mania was another step forward.

Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow: I know a lot of people don’t like this, but the angle was really well done. The start of this angle at the Rumble looked like it could have actually been real. It was reasonable to think egos could clash and Bigelow wouldn’t like LT on his turf. The fact that he just shoved LT and walked away instead of throwing a punch or starting a brawl made it seem more legit. LT reacted perfectly too. He seemed legitimately upset and wanted to jump the rail. His managers restrained him and he quickly calmed down but was still visibly upset. Also Vince, who on tv was still just an announcer even though we all knew he was the boss, went off headset when this went down. This really added to the angle. If Vince tried to sell this we would have known it was a work. By going off headset and not selling it at all is how he really sold it. I hope that makes sense. As soon as the “lawyers” appeared on WWF television it was obvious it was a work and it would go to Mania, but it still got a great start at the Rumble. The match itself was better than expected. I don’t think this ruined Bigelow’s career. Just like I don’t think Mayweather ruined Big Show’s career. I think this was good as a special attraction during a time when WWF was hurting for main event star power. I think people wouldn’t look at this as negatively if it didn’t close the show.

Overall this was one of the worst WrestleManias. That doesn’t mean it was a bad show. WrestleMania is held to a high standard. Just because it’s bad for WrestleMania doesn’t make it bad.

I have to agree about the Bret vs. Hakushi. I liked their match at In Your House and would have great chemistry in the ring. Shame they didn't a lengthy feud though, as that would have made for a great series of matches. :worship:

One "possiblitity" with the Hart & Backlund match could have Backlund passing the torch to Bret. A mutual respect match with the old school vs new school. Bret could win by submission and the two shake hands afterwards and in turn Bret raises Backlunds hand. Could have been something if built up a bit differently.

This is weird. I was just watching this PPV an hour ago. I gotta agree with what you say. I'd heard terrible things about LT vs Bam Bam but I think it was a far better match considering LT Barely had any training. Good review.

This is like the most forgotten Wrestlemania, outside of Mania IX. I think a lot of people got annoyed with the fact that the original "LT" was fighting Bam Bam Bigelow, while the Heavyweight title match got an "undercard" slot.

Truth is, I loved this Mania for a few reasons.

1. Razor Ramon/Jeff Jarrett: I don't care what anyone says, this feud was amazing. The Roadie was truly on top of his game back then, and the only person who fucked this feud up was unfortunately Sean (1-2-3 Kid) Waltman who couldn't stay healthy long enough for anything other than to bust Jarrett open the hard way.

All in all, Ramon and Jarrett have always put on stellar matches in my opinion, and this was a great match. The ending was kinda stupid for a Mania match, but the focus was on building even more heat for Jarrett and the Roadie and it worked perfectly. I was furious back then at them both, because I was a Ramon fan. (ironic now that I'm a Jarrett supporter)

2. Yokozuna's Return: Say what you will, but even as a younger kid, tween, I marked out like crazy when he returned. I wasn't huge on Yokozuna then like I am now, but even back then I was amazed by him. And I've always been a decent Owen Hart supporter. They destroyed the Gunns in a match that could've easily been considered a modern day "JeriShow/Cryme Tyme" outing.

Owen Hart & Yokozuna were arguably the greatest Tag team of this era. Its a shame they didn't go longer, as they could've truly been one of the very best.

3. Shawn Michaels Shines: Once again, even though a year later he captures his 'dream', I loved every moment of this match and its still to this day one of my all-time favorite HBK moments. He proved to the world that regardless what spot of the card he's put at, in the Heavyweight title picture - he could go with anyone.

This was what I'd consider to be the build-up feud of the year, albeit stopped before it ever got a true chance to go. I think 94 was the real build-up to this feud, and Mania was the ending point. But to have Diesel just befriend HBK when Sid turned on him was kinda shitty to a degree. Regardless of that, this will forever be a great match by Shawn Michaels.

Overall: While I didn't mind LT being in the Main Event, as a tween I didn't fully get the appeal to someone from the "outside" being brought in. To me, it was just some guy who was badly trained who made the actual "wrestler" look like shit. Ironically enough, this was probably Bigelow's greatest career moment. Not because he lost to a Football player, but instead because he Headlined f'n Wrestlemania!

Also, one final note to add. I loved the Lex Luger/British Bulldog tag team - but felt they failed at pushing them against Hart & Yokozuna. That could've truly been a great, GREAT match-up. And they missed everything with it.

This is by far the Worst Mania of All-Time.

Their is only one great moment, Owen and Yoko winning gold. All the other matches were terrible. This is one of HBK's worst matches of All-Time. When LT vs. Bam Bam is a better match than your world title match, you know you had a bad night.

Lex Luger and Davey Boy Smith vs. Jacob and Eli Blu: This match was pretty much pointless. I think the idea here was to introduce the new team of Luger and Bulldog. The problem was no one cared about Jacob and Eli Blu. Beating them didn’t really mean anything. Also Luger would be back in WCW in five months so the new team never meant much either. My suggestion to make this better: Lex Luger vs. Davey Boy Smith one on one. They could have had a confrontation at the Rumble. They could have been working together during the Rumble and one could have eliminated the other from behind causing friction between the two. Neither would turn heel, but they would decide to settle their differences at Mania. After a hard fought match they would discover mutual respect for each other. They would shake hands after the match and then form their team. I think this is better than a tag match no one cared about.

The tag division wasn't exactly setting the world on fire anymore, so I can see why WWF at least tried to go this route. I actually liked The Allied Powers tag team with Bulldog & Luger, sure we laugh about it now, but I enjoyed watching the two tag up, there was some good chemsitry there.

Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett: No problem here. A good match and a good feud over the IC title. I would have left this as is. This also set up a tag feud between Razor and Kid vs. Jarrett and Roadie. Kid ended up getting hurt again spoiling those plans, but this was good for Mania.

Merely a storyline advancement, and would've been more suited for an episode of "Raw" if you ask me! They should've done the angle on "Raw", and set up the tag match for 'Mania.

Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy: This is a good feud on paper. The match was not good. Honestly at the time I would not have changed anything. Bundy seemed like a worthy opponent for Taker at Mania. It’s just one of those cases where the match didn’t live up to the feud. Sometimes it happens.

Well Bundy was well past his prime, and 'Taker still hadn't had the right opponent to prove he could work! It just goes down as a notch in 'Taker's streak.

The Smoking Gunns vs. Owen Hart and Yokozuna: This was all about the return of Yokozuna and Owen getting his first title and didn’t really have much to do about the Gunns. This was done well for Owen’s character. He was desperate to surpass Bret’s legacy and getting the tag titles was the first step. He needed a partner and got the biggest guy he could find. I like how he pointed out that his partner also beat Bret for the world title. This wasn’t anything great for Mania standards, but it got Owen his title and brought Yoko back.

I was legit shocked here, for weeks, because what TV had us believe, we were thinking the mystery guy would be Mabel. But I had almost forgotten all about Yoko since his sabbatical after Survivor Series. And I agree with your standpoint on this match.

Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund: This was a rare Bret Hart miss. Not a very good match at all. I’ve been back and forth on if I would have done this differently. I think I might have booked Bret vs. Hakushi instead. Most of you are probably thinking I’m crazy. No way was Hakushi a big enough name to wrestle Bret at Mania. That may be true, but hear me out. Bret and Hakushi had begun a feud just prior to Mania. Hakushi was new to the WWF and had a high flying style that hadn’t really been seen in WWF yet. Obviously Mania draws more viewers than any other show. This year in particular drew some new viewers thanks to Lawrence Taylor’s involvement. I think Bret and Hakushi could have put on a show that would have made the new viewers take notice and maybe gotten them to tune in the next night. This could have been a major push for Hakushi and gotten him over as a top heel. Hakushi’s one year run in the WWF was nothing special, but maybe he could have done better if he had gotten the opportunity to work with Bret at Mania. My idea has nothing to do with the Backlund match not delivering. I think this Mania drew more new viewers than usual. Because of this I think Hakushi’s style should have been showcased over Backlund’s style.

This is just another one of those cases, where it would've worked better on "Raw". And Bret agrees, he hated this match! And so did I. Hakushi would've been the perfect guy for 'Mania. It wouldnt've made much of a difference, I still say he would've been buried soon after.

Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels: This was a very good match. I would have preferred if this was the main event. The problem is Shawn Michaels wasn’t really a main event name yet and Diesel suddenly became a main eventer only a few months earlier. After years of Hulk Hogan main eventing Mania Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels didn’t have that main event sex appeal. LT was brought in because of this. LT’s appearance helped spike ppv buys, but the title match should have gone last. If Diesel and Michaels were going to lead the new generation they should have at least seemed more important that the LT special attraction. At the time I thought maybe Bret Hart vs. Diesel would have been a better main event. I was thinking it should have been Shawn vs. Diesel at the Rumble and Bret should have been held off until Mania. Looking back I’m glad that didn’t happen. Winning the Rumble from the #1 position is what pushed Shawn to the next level. His match with Diesel at Mania was another step forward.

Agreed!.

Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigelow: I know a lot of people don’t like this, but the angle was really well done. The start of this angle at the Rumble looked like it could have actually been real. It was reasonable to think egos could clash and Bigelow wouldn’t like LT on his turf. The fact that he just shoved LT and walked away instead of throwing a punch or starting a brawl made it seem more legit. LT reacted perfectly too. He seemed legitimately upset and wanted to jump the rail. His managers restrained him and he quickly calmed down but was still visibly upset. Also Vince, who on tv was still just an announcer even though we all knew he was the boss, went off headset when this went down. This really added to the angle. If Vince tried to sell this we would have known it was a work. By going off headset and not selling it at all is how he really sold it. I hope that makes sense. As soon as the “lawyers” appeared on WWF television it was obvious it was a work and it would go to Mania, but it still got a great start at the Rumble. The match itself was better than expected. I don’t think this ruined Bigelow’s career. Just like I don’t think Mayweather ruined Big Show’s career. I think this was good as a special attraction during a time when WWF was hurting for main event star power. I think people wouldn’t look at this as negatively if it didn’t close the show.

I didn't see anything technically wrong with this! I actually liked it quite a big! I'd give it ***. Bam Bam did everything he could, and did a great job, making LT look good, and I think this match if anything, etched Bigelow's legacy as a very good, yet sometimes underrated performer. This match was ALL him in my opinion! Sure LT won, but legacy shows, it was the Bammers big moment.

WM 11 the worst one? Nope! Wrestlemania IX, is, was, and always will be the WORST!

WM 11 the worst one? Nope! Wrestlemania IX, is, was, and always will be the WORST!

At least 9 had 2 good matches. Headshrinkers and the Steiners....HBK and Tatanka. Plus it was JR's first Wrestlemania and he was alongside The Brain for some great commentary.

11 only had 1 IMO. Owen & Yoko vs. The Smoking Gunns

At least 9 had 2 good matches. Headshrinkers and the Steiners....HBK and Tatanka. Plus it was JR's first Wrestlemania and he was alongside The Brain for some great commentary.

11 only had 1 IMO. Owen & Yoko vs. The Smoking Gunns

I'll agree with you on the Tag Match, but Tatanka/Michaels was decent at best!

And Owen/Yoko vs. The Gunns?? Hardly a good match, again, half decent, MAYBE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back