List it: Jim Carrey

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just like we did for Brad Pitt a few days ago, I am asking you to list your favourite Jim Carrey movies in whichever order you would like and based on whichever criteria you would like. Here's my list:

1. Ace Ventura – When Nature Calls
2. Bruce Almighty
3. I love you, Phillip Morris.

Just like it was with Brad Pitt, there are just too many movies that I have left out. The notable mentions are: Dumb and Dumber, Liar, Liar, The Cable Guy and Me, Myself and Irene. Honestly, I wrestled with the list for a few minutes before I finally settled on my top 3. In the end, I went for Ace Ventura simply because I believe it to be Carrey's finest comedy role. Thsi first movie is excellent, too. But the sequel is an improvement in every sense of the word. The lines in it are hilarious and ones that I still rhyme off at any occasion.

I think Bruce Almighty served as a comedy re-awakening for Carrey after doing The Majestic. And honestly, it was brilliant. Not only because it is a very funny movie. But also because it is one of the more poignant comedy movies that Carrey made.

Lastly, I went for I love you Phillip Morris over Me, Myself and Irene. As much as I adored the latter, I had to go with the more dramatic, yet brilliant movie from Carrey's later works. His relationship and chemistry with Ewan McGregor was a joy to be hold and I found myself getting emotionally invested in the storyline. Excellent movie, one of my favourites.

Ace Ventura
Man on the Moon
Liar Liar

Ace Ventura was probably my first Carrey film although I know The Mask and Dumb and Dumber also came out around that time too. The physical comedy of Carrey in AV was spot on; the opening scene with the fragile box and ensuing chase, "it's not Snowflake!!!", his performance to get into Shady Acres and finally, although it lasts only a couple of seconds, his use of a portable hand fan as a propellor for a dinghy to move maybe 2 feet closer to a ladder was inspired.

The Truman Show was Carreys first serious role and I almost included it but despite not knowing a lot about Andy Kaufman, his performance in Man on the Moon was incredible. He managed to balance out his usual goofball schtick with having a more introverted side too that it would be so easy to overdo. Watching him in the film, I saw him more as Kaufman than Carrey.

Liar Liar has such a simple premise that, if it had been a drama, would have been a bit of a slog to get through to be honest. It allowed Carrey to deliver lines like "The pen is blue" and "I've had better" and turn them into comedy gold.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Man on the Moon
The Truman Show

I either haven't watched everything else or didn't care for it. I've never been a fan of Carrey as a comedian but as a serious actor, I quite like him. These 3 films are all fantastic, Eternal Sunshine in particular is the work of a genius.

1. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
2. The Truman Show
3. Liar Liar

I'd elaborate as to why, but I'm mobile and have fat thumbs...

1. Dumb and Dumber
2. The Mask
3. Ace Ventura Pet Detective

HN: Ave Ventura: When Nature Calls, Liar Liar, The Cable Guy

1994 was a great year for Jim Carrey. His 3 best movies imo come out all in one year. All 3 are hilarious, all 3 are quotable, and he is just perfect for these 3 roles. Btw why has no one have Dumb and Dumber in a list yet? That's the best comedy of all time imo.

1. Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Damn, that's still a HILARIOUS film. I must have seen it 20+ times and I still laugh out loud at so many points. The scene when he realises Lt Einhorn is actually a man makes me howl every single time I see it, and the scene at the start when he is the "delivery man" with the fragile box, fantastic. Ace is the perfect character of Jim's zany personality, his facial expressions and way he walks/moves is great, there's no one else who could play the character like Carrey.

2. The Mask

I loved this movie when I was in primary school, and MY GOD how fit was Cameron Diaz is that? WOW! The Mask is another persona that Carrey is perfect for.

3. Bruce Almighty

This is probably the last Carrey film I've seen. It's a different kind of comedy to things like The Mask or AV- alot less "wacky", but it's definitely got it's funny moments.

1. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind- It's a prime example of Carrey proving he can deliver a superb performance without being too whacky or over the top. There's nothing wrong with over the top Jim Carrey. Hell, I still love the vast majority of his films, but ESOTSM is proof Carrey is capable of stepping outside of his comfort zone without being too serious or dramatic.

ESOTSM is a one of kind romantic comedy, Carrey is at his best, and he shares some excellent chemistry with Kate Winslet.

2. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective- It's one of the few comedies I can watch over and over again, and still laugh without getting tired of it. Ventura is definitely one of Carrey's more memorable characters, and Carrey's reaction to the Lois Einhorn/Ray Finkle reveal is priceless.

3. Fun With Dick & Jane- An underrated film on Jim Carrey's resume in my eyes, and a good remake. Fun With Dick & Jane is another comedy with endless rewatch value for me, I can laugh over and over again, and Carrey shares some easy (and believable) husband and wife chemistry with Tea Leoni.

When Dick and Jane finally fall into a comfort zone with the robberies, there's a montage with all their recent crimes, and when they decide to rob a car dealership, Carrey and Leoni dress up as Sonny and Cher. But Leoni is dressed up as Sonny, and Carrey is dressed up as Cher, and they're standing together, sharing cocky body language and smirks. It's a hilarious visual to look at it, because you expect the complete opposite for the costumes.

Carrey delivers more than enough laughs as Dick Harper, and Leoni deserves her share of credit too. On top of that, the supporting cast is solid, with Richard Jenkins playing a comical version of an angry and disgruntled alcoholic, and Alec Baldwin playing this phony, two-faced and greedy CEO. And I'll give a few bonus points to Carlos Jacott and Stephanie Weir for Oz and Debbie (i.e. the botched bank robbery scene).

I'll give a few honorable mentions for The Majestic, Me, Myself, & Irene, Dumb & Dumber, and Liar Liar. Also, I've never understood all the hate for The Cable Guy. The Cable Guy has a reputation as one of Carrey's infamous stinkers, but I don't see it. I'm not saying it's a five star film, but it's nowhere near as bad as lot of people make it out to be.

And you're not supposed to take Carrey's Chip seriously. One of the main complaints for The Cable Guy is, Chip sends too many mixed signals, as a truly dark villain and a comedy guy. He's supposed to be a comical version of some creepy and lonely loser, with no life and no friends. It's that simple.

Btw why has no one have Dumb and Dumber in a list yet? That's the best comedy of all time imo.

Dumb and Dumber is still one of my favorites, but it's not an easy stand out pick, when you compare it to Carrey's other films in the 90's. The Mask, Ace Ventura, and Liar Liar are some of Carrey's popular comedy films from the 90's, and when you throw in his performances from his more recent comedy films (Bruce Almighty) and his more serious stuff (Man On The Moon, The Truman Show, The Majestic, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind), Dumb & Dumber taking a lost in the shuffle hit is a more than reasonable possibility.

Liar Liar

To me the most essential Jim Carrey comedy there is, and often overlooked. He made the simplest line of "The pen is blue" as one of the most hilarious quotes there ever was.

The Truman Show

My favorite film starring Jim Carrey. It has a great story throughout and kept me engaged. Deep meaning to this one if you're into that. Musical score was excellent as well.

Horton Hears A Who

Took a very short story and turned it into a pretty decent family flick. It's worth a watch if you're into animation and Seuss. Liked this more than Grinch

Honorable Mention goes out to Me, Myself, and Irene. Funny stuff.

Dumb & Dumber: This seriously is, for me, one of the funniest movies of all time. It's humor is dumb, but still funny even to this day. Too many movies nowadays try too hard and come off desperate and not really funny (D&D2 is close to this description, but better than I expected). I honestly can't even think of a scene for me in Dumb & Dumber that doesn't have a legitimate laugh out loud moment.

My number 2:

1. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind- It's a prime example of Carrey proving he can deliver a superb performance without being too whacky or over the top. There's nothing wrong with over the top Jim Carrey. Hell, I still love the vast majority of his films, but ESOTSM is proof Carrey is capable of stepping outside of his comfort zone without being too serious or dramatic.

Pretty much what Mitch said.

ESOTSM is a one of kind romantic comedy, Carrey is at his best, and he shares some excellent chemistry with Kate Winslet.

I would disagree with this only because I don't see a romantic comedy at all. Frankly, I can't even think of much humor in it period. I would call it a drama. Romantic drama? Is that a genre? :confused:

Carrey was very good at making you feel how sad and depressed he was throughout the movie. Phenomenal movie for that genre to me. Not typically a movie I would care to watch, but seeing Jim Carrey outside his box is always appealing to me, if not just to see how he does.

3. Ace Ventura - This was the toughest call for me, but he put himself on the map with this movie. It was the 1st of the three big ones of 1994 that really made him a star. He had other movies/projects before this (look at my name), but he exploded onto the scene with this movie.

His humor in this was his classic over the top style like when he solved the suicide of Roger Podacter :)lmao: I love the sliding door), but he was also subtle with his humor, yet still over the top like the fan in the dingy.

Many actors/actresses have that one role where they break out into the scene. This was Carrey's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back