• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Let's Do Two (NHL)

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
With New Year's Day approaching quickly (I realize it isn't even Christmas) but with New Year's approaching, for hockey fans it is that newly annual time of year for the Winter Classic. Yes the one day a year where two NHL teams are pitted outdoors on some awesome looking ice in historic stadiums and fields. Two years ago, it started in Buffalo (I think) and drew some good numbers, especially in a football stadium. The only gripe was the ice, which was put together too rushed, as it was short notice. Last year it became something magical at Wrigley Field, and the ice was much better, as there was ample time for the rink to be made, the ice could be skated on and worn on a little bit to help the players, and it was cold but not snowing horribly. This year figures to be another great year in Boston at Fenway. Those in Boston should definitely watch, it will be a fun game. Fun for that background right? My apologies for being lengthy, onto the real subject.

There have been rumors swirling about a possible two outdoor games in the future, one in the US, and one in Canada. Personally I think it would be a bad idea to make it two every year, maybe two games once every five or ten years, but not every year. The setting of the games give it a prestigeous setting. But if it were to be something where two games are played outdoors every year, it would sort of lose it's overall quality and what makes it special. Maybe an idea would be to pit a Canadian team against an American team, or just do one in Canada, but make it a huge game. I don't see the true quality of making it a two game thing on New Year's.

What are your thoughts? Could two outdoor games work every year, or would it lose what makes it a special occasion?

Doing two every year is a bad idea because it will lose it's attraction fast. The best bet is to just do one game outside per year, and preferably in an Original Six city, to give it a truly old school feel.

Imagine an outdoor games between the Rangers and Habs, or Blackhawks and Red Wings. That would instantly be better than putting one of those games indoors, or pitting teams like the Blue Jackets and Coyotes in a game outside.

It's a fun game to watch, but they really need to keep it special...

Doing two every year is a bad idea because it will lose it's attraction fast. The best bet is to just do one game outside per year, and preferably in an Original Six city, to give it a truly old school feel.

Imagine an outdoor games between the Rangers and Habs, or Blackhawks and Red Wings. That would instantly be better than putting one of those games indoors, or pitting teams like the Blue Jackets and Coyotes in a game outside.

It's a fun game to watch, but they really need to keep it special...

Oh definitely, which was the point of last year when the Blackhawks and Wings did play. Simply no other way to do it than a big game like that in Chicago. Imagine if they do Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs, and promote it like they did last year, and are doing this year. Canadiens and the Leafs are the biggest rivalry in hockey, that would draw huge numbers for hockey fanatics. But I totally agree that it should be an Original Six city, or a great rivalry, such as Ovechkin vs. Crosby, right now.

No. Not at all. One game a year. You start doing a second game and nobody watches. Let's not forget the game is going up against the Capital One Bowl (SEC vs Big Ten) and the beginning of the Rose Bowl and a 2nd game would go directly against the Rose Bowl and the beginning of the Sugar Bowl and would lose out immensely.

The Winter Classic should be between rivals or original six teams in cold cities every year. I actually would have much preferred Boston vs Montreal this year due to their massive rivalry than having Philadelphia play Boston. I also think they should do Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh in Beaver Stadium (Penn State) -- 110,000 people divided almost 50/50 Pens/Flyers fans who H-A-T-E eachother would be nuts! Too bad that game will never happen.

For next years I'd like to see Detroit vs Colorado at Coors Field. The animosity those teams harbor for eachother would melt the ice and the Rockies. Unfortunately we're probably going to get Rangers/Islanders at NEW Yankee Stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back