Legit, Most Popular Pro-Wrestling Theme of All Time

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
I was curious about this last night...

Out of all wrestling promotions of all time, who had the most legitimately popular theme of all time? I know many of you would say something like Steve Austin's theme or John Cena's but did they even conquer a legitimate chart in the music industry?

I'm thinking that it's either CM Punk's current theme song, "Cult of Personality" by Living Color. Here are its accolades:

Wikipedia said:
"Cult of Personality" reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #9 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart. It also won the Grammy award for "Best Hard Rock Performance" in 1989. Its music video earned two MTV Video Music Awards for Best Group Video and Best New Artist. The song was ranked #69 on VH1's 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs. The solo was ranked #87 in Guitar World's "100 Greatest Guitar Solos" list. It was also selected as one of many songs you must hear & download in the musical reference book, 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die: And 10,001 You Must Download. In 2007, the song was re-recorded and released for the video game Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock because the band no longer owns the rights to the original. It also appeared in the famous video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the radio station "Radio X".

That's quite the resume.

What was the second-most legit-popular theme of all time? Arguably this song:

So, if my estimations are correct, Victoria (Tara) had the 2nd most legit-popular entrance theme of all time and the most popular current entrance theme during her run back in 2002-2004.

Am I correct about this? Or are there others that I may be missing. I don't know, this just seems like a cool conversation-piece to me.

Yes, this is true. And if I recall, it peaked on the charts while he used it in the WWF. But technically, it sold less copies worldwide than Tatu's song and Living Color's. However, it was #1 in the US Billboard charts.

Cheap. Real American. Built for wrestling, used only in wrestling. Anyone can slap a commercial theme and call it popular. Just ask Sandman.

Definitely. And one can argue that while wrestlers make their entrance themes popular, this was the only entrance theme (I can remember) that made its wrestler more popular.

Cheap. Real American. Built for wrestling, used only in wrestling. Anyone can slap a commercial theme and call it popular. Just ask Sandman.

I'm talking "legit" popularity or popularity that was proven by its standing on musical charts. Real American didn't make it high on the pop charts.

Definitely. And one can argue that while wrestlers make their entrance themes popular, this was the only entrance theme (I can remember) that made its wrestler more popular.
My guilty pleasure. I sing it in the car when I get out of work.
I'm talking "legit" popularity or popularity that was proven by its standing on musical charts. Real American didn't make it high on the pop charts.
And thus my trust in the human race continues to falter.

If we are talking about all time what about Enter Sandman? That song was insanely popular, mind you I don't remember 1989 as I was only 3.

If we are talking about all time what about Enter Sandman? That song was insanely popular, mind you I don't remember 1989 as I was only 3.

VERY good call. However, even though "Enter Sandman" was a #1 hit that was used as the Sandman's theme in ECW, it was used years after its peak on the charts... similar to "Cult of Personality".

I don't think any have been used as WWE or WCW themes. Or any other promotion, for that matter. Unless I'm missing something...

VERY good call. However, even though "Enter Sandman" was a #1 hit that was used as the Sandman's theme in ECW, it was used years after its peak on the charts... similar to "Cult of Personality".
It did provide one of the most memorable entrances of all time.

Sometimes when the wife and kids are away I invite some slender, young, hairless Asian men over to my home. We oil up, strip down to speedos and hold our own little wrestling promotion. I come out to Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On.

Does that count?

Sometimes when the wife and kids are away I invite some slender, young, hairless Asian men over to my home. We oil up, strip down to speedos and hold our own little wrestling promotion. I come out to Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On.

Does that count?

Definitely. Videos or GTFO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back