Least Favorite/Most Hated Video Game Boss Battle

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Bloodwing
borderlands2_wildlife_exploitation_preserve_-_environment_scenery_bloodwing_reveal_by_kevin_duc.jpg

This is also from Borderlands 2. It's not that hard by any means but knowing the history of this character makes this a difficult Boss fight on an emotional level.

All 4 playable characters in the 1st game are NPCs in the second which includes Mordecai and his bird Bloodwing. If you play as Mordecai in #1 you can have Bloodwing fight enemies which makes this twice as heart wrenchingly difficult.

In this game Bloodwing is birdnapped and experimented on by the main antagonist. Sadly he does something to her that causes her to attack you. I don't want to give to much away in case anyone wants to play. Just believe me when I say it will make you feel the feels.

Most hateful boss battle is fighting the incredibly dumb looking final boss in Pac Man form over and over and over again in Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. It's just groan worthy when you fight the same, crappy looking boss so many times. Runner up is in the same game, a fantastic ship level is ruined by a really dumb looking boss that looks like something out of The Simpson's. If that's not bad enough, have fun with the wonky camera angles (or lack thereof) while trying to deal with his/her/its tentacles then nothing but thrashing your arm off to finally kill it's head.

Miguel - Chrono Cross

miguelf.gif

This guy.... Few bosses in video games have caused as much frustration and intimidation as him. If we do not include any optional super-bosses then Miguel wins my vote for most hated boss in a video game. His backstory is that he is a close friend of the father of Serge. Miguel is also the father of one of his love interests. You meet him in one of the creepiest places in gaming history, The Dead Sea. It is basically a place frozen in time full of erased timelines that no longer exist and that is putting it in the simplest way possible. Miguel got placed there as its guardian before the game's main story takes place. It's bad enough having to defeat a friend of the family to get out of The Dead Sea. That's only the storyline reason. Now, let's get into the in-battle portion.

The battle goes on while a very sad tune plays that conveys not only how sad Serge must feel to battle a friend of his family, but also the importance of the battle. For most of the game Serge has an innate element of Holy, roughly 60% of the game. For the remaining portion of the game he has an innate element of Shadow for storyline reasons. Miguel is Holy. So guess which portion of the game you fight him in? The part when you're NOT Holy innate. To make matters worse, Holy is super effective against Shadow. Miguel uses extremely powerful Holy elemental attacks during the battle, one of which even resembles him weilding a lightsaber. Don't let his appearance fool you. This fight is as brutal as it gets when disregarding super-bosses. Unbelievably difficult for a little less than halfway into the game. No other boss in the game even touches his difficulty and few in other games do.

Mine has to be Riku from Kingdom Hearts 1. I haven't played the game since it came out around 15 years ago, but I remember how angry my young self would get about this fight and I think no kidding it took me about 10 tries to finally do it. Granted I may be able to have a much easier time with it if I were to play it again today, but back then it was ridiculous.

I'll throw another one in and add the Chernabog from the same Kingdom Hearts game. This is going off pure memory but I remember dying multiple times because of these fireballs he would shoot and they would follow me around and he basically did it the entire battle and they would deal a ton of damage and were almost impossible to maneuver around. At this point I had no idea that the secret was Aeroga (spelling?) where you have that tornado of wind around you. To get this I believe you had to find all the dalmations in the game and you would earn the spell.

I unfortunately decided to skip that side quest and it ended up costing me dearly to the point where I had to restart the game and obtain that spell so I could beat him. Sure there was more than likely a way to beat him without it, but again this was 15 years ago and I was young with nothing but a strategy guide basically telling me I was fucked if I didn't have that spell.

BNK3R (Bunker)
Borderlands-2-small-180.jpg

Another honorable mention again from Borderlands 2. This one may not be difficult in an emotional sense but difficult in every other sense of the word.

This twat seems to have hundreds of thousands of HP so it takes a while. He hovers every few minutes of flying around making it a rish difficult to hit him. He also has auto turrets that materializes on his hull as well as motors, homing rockets and a BFG (thanks Doom). All of which can kill you very quickly if you're not paying attention.

Like all robots he's weakest to corrosive damage so you'd better hope you have a corrosive weapon otherwise this will ta. And be prepared to die a few times which brings his health back to full, i died twice doing this last night and have almost rage quit in the past. The feeling when you do finally beat him though is awesome so don't give up

Magneto in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SNES) is a frustrating final boss, if you don't pick the right character.

It's kind of strange, because most of the bosses in the game (including Apocalypse) are not too bad, but Magneto is tricky. You have to wait for those brief open windows to attack, because you can't touch him, when his force field is up, and it takes good timing to dodge the hunks of metal. Beast is terrible, but Wolverine is the best choice (using his claws to climb the side of the wall really helps) to take on Magneto, and you can't go wrong with Gambit or Psylocke.

Miguel - Chrono Cross

miguelf.gif

This guy.... Few bosses in video games have caused as much frustration and intimidation as him. If we do not include any optional super-bosses then Miguel wins my vote for most hated boss in a video game. His backstory is that he is a close friend of the father of Serge. Miguel is also the father of one of his love interests. You meet him in one of the creepiest places in gaming history, The Dead Sea. It is basically a place frozen in time full of erased timelines that no longer exist and that is putting it in the simplest way possible. Miguel got placed there as its guardian before the game's main story takes place. It's bad enough having to defeat a friend of the family to get out of The Dead Sea. That's only the storyline reason. Now, let's get into the in-battle portion.

The battle goes on while a very sad tune plays that conveys not only how sad Serge must feel to battle a friend of his family, but also the importance of the battle. For most of the game Serge has an innate element of Holy, roughly 60% of the game. For the remaining portion of the game he has an innate element of Shadow for storyline reasons. Miguel is Holy. So guess which portion of the game you fight him in? The part when you're NOT Holy innate. To make matters worse, Holy is super effective against Shadow. Miguel uses extremely powerful Holy elemental attacks during the battle, one of which even resembles him weilding a lightsaber. Don't let his appearance fool you. This fight is as brutal as it gets when disregarding super-bosses. Unbelievably difficult for a little less than halfway into the game. No other boss in the game even touches his difficulty and few in other games do.

That battle sucked. Sucked even more since I liked Harle, so I had her n serge in my party the first time smh

That battle sucked. Sucked even more since I liked Harle, so I had her n serge in my party the first time smh

I had Harle the first go around too. Big mistake. It doesn't help that you lose your allies from Viper Manor and Guldove after Fort Dragonia until the end. The lack of having better characters made the fight even worse. Norris and Radius are pretty much the best options unless you want to risk Harle getting slaughtered by that lightsaber. She's effective against him if she lasts long enough to get one of her skills to hit at least.

With Secret Of Mana's remake coming (FINALLY) in a few months, I thought of a couple of really tough bosses to add from that game. Both are deserving, for lack of better words, of being in this discussion.

Spiky Tiger - Secret Of Mana

spikeytiger.gif

Probably the most famous boss from this game. He is a good example of something pretty rare in gaming. An extremely overpowered boss you encounter in the earlier parts of a game. You're in a witch's castle to help rescue Dyluck, the boyfriend of the game's leading lady Primm. You fail to save Dyluck and the witch instead says she will send her pet out to kill you. Oh, we get to battle her pet? We can do that. Let's fight him. Surely a witch's pet can't be too tough. Nope. You were unlikely to be expecting a huge fire-breathing tiger with spikes all over his back. Not a chance. This boss scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. Normal tigers are intimidating by themselves but this guy can engulf you in flames and paralyze you from rolling around with all his spikes. And he bites.

He had a notorious tactic during the battle. Periodically he would jump up on a platform you could not reach with your sword or spear. The Spiky Tiger taught many players a valuable lesson. Make certain to level up ALL of your weapon proficiencies. The only way to damage him when he retreats to the platform to breath fire on you is to shoot him with your bow! Leveling up, having extra candy to restore Health, making sure your bow AND sword/spear were proficient, and a little bit of luck were what it took to defeat him. For me the Spiky Tiger is a boss I loved to hate. I both anticipate and dread facing him in the remake. As tough as this boss is, he's actually the 2nd toughest in the game. The one harder boss is a little less talked about these days. He is....

Aegagropilon - Secret Of Mana

aegagropilon.gif

Try saying THAT name without slowing down. While you don't really hear about this boss much anymore, for those who got to the last portion of the game they will likely remember how frustrating he was. This is the true form of Sheex, one of the top generals of the Empire. This is a very tough boss and the only boss in the game that I truly despise. Unlike Spiky Tiger who I viewed more as a rival that inspired me to level up as opposed to a hatred, Aegagropilon made me throw controllers and strategy guides across the room in anger as a kid. Disregarding his odd name and how tough it is to say.... The battle is ridiculous. He can put you to sleep with Sleep Flower, he has a very deadly Burst spell, and the worst part of all.... He casts Wall on himself making the sprite unable to cast offensive spells on him. The Wall is my primary reason for hating the boss. The reason for this is that without Dispel Magic, you literally will not win this battle. He's impossible to defeat when his Wall is up. If your sprite's proficiency with Shade is low, then too bad. You're going to lose. The game doesn't offer much of a hint about this which makes it worse. Once that Wall is negated you can unleash your offensive spells such as Earthslide or Thunderbolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back