Lacking Mic Skills Is Not So Bad

The Brain

King Of The Ring
When discussing the attributes that make a good wrestler mic skills is always at the top of the list. Some people will tell you it is the single most important thing, even above performance during a match. Oftentimes wrestlers will sell a show on the microphone rather than in the ring. The guys known as the best mic men, such as The Rock and Mick Foley, usually connect with the fans through humor and emotions. Tonight Ryback showed me a different kind of mic skill by not being so good on the mic.

How can I consider not being good at something a skill? Maybe skill isn’t quite the right word but despite Ryback not being great on the mic I think he is still effective. To me Ryback seemed real on the mic. He wasn’t all that smooth in his delivery. He didn’t appear to be too comfortable and was not very articulate. That was ok though because in reality some people just aren’t very good public speakers. Ryback is a jacked up muscle head. Pardon my stereotypical thinking but I don’t expect him to be a wordsmith. He’s a big guy that barked his threats and stumbled over his words a bit. He’s clearly more comfortable letting his actions speak for him and that’s ok. I don’t want all of the wrestlers to come off as trained actors. If wrestling was real one would not have to perform auditions with a microphone to get in WWE. Speaking in front of an audience would be a complete afterthought and performance in the ring would be the primary focus. It would be realistic to think that not every wrestler would be comfortable on the mic. So while I don’t know that it’s appropriate to call Ryback’s lack of mic skills a skill I think it does lend some reality to the product which is always a good thing.

I agree, but you need charisma and presence even if you lack in speaking ability which Lesnar had, and like him or not, Ryback has it too.

Charisma and presence are huge...but I think mic skills are no different than ring skills in a very important sense.

I know we're not supposed to talk about him, but Chris Benoit was a revelation in ECW because Heyman was brilliant at finding positives and highlighting them. So when Benoit did a promo, it was shot upwards slightly in order to highlight his hands, making them appear bigger while he rubbed them menacingly together and he spoke with largely monosyllabic words. Heyman knew Benoit wasn't eloquent...so he didn't ask him to be.

Promos and wrestling are the same. Figure out what you're good at and even if it's not what other "top" guys are doing, keep doing it and perfect it. If you can't throw a kick to the head without falling off balance and looking awkward, then don't do it. Instead work on throwing a Terry Funk-esque punch or suplex like Kurt Angle. More guys need to learn to work within their abilities and stop trying to be the athletes they clearly aren't.

And if a guy can't cut a 5 minute promo, but he's got charisma, presence, or can work his ass off...then send him out for a 1 minute promo and have him work with guys who can carry the talking part of the angle. WWE and TNA need to stop trying to crowbar guys into what they think they should be and start highlighting the attributes they do have and hide the rest.

Well I think talking on the mic is a huge huge part of ones character. Do you need to be believable on the mic while talking? Absolutely you do. DO you need to be the best? No you do not just believable enough to get your point across. Ryback while not the best on the mic by a long shot definitely got his point across rather smoothly if you ask me.

Ya dude is yoked as all hell can be. Do i expect him to talk articulate no i dont. But he lets his talking happen while he destroys people and i like that. Lesnar is the same way (Even though Lesnar did drop a classic line last night "Thats My Manager).. So you need mic skill just enough to get your point across and be believable IMO

You need to have some "It factor" or should I say charisma. Good mic skill helps in that but its not everything in that skill. Otunga for example has good mic skills but little to none charisma for people to care about him. You can have ability to talk, but why should people care to listen? So its important, but not crucial skill in making someone a star. :)

When discussing the attributes that make a good wrestler mic skills is always at the top of the list. Some people will tell you it is the single most important thing, even above performance during a match. Oftentimes wrestlers will sell a show on the microphone rather than in the ring. The guys known as the best mic men, such as The Rock and Mick Foley, usually connect with the fans through humor and emotions. Tonight Ryback showed me a different kind of mic skill by not being so good on the mic.

Ryback at his current level is a dead bore on the mic. Its cringe-worthy. His delivery is that of a board, and no by no means is it acceptable.

How can I consider not being good at something a skill? Maybe skill isn’t quite the right word but despite Ryback not being great on the mic I think he is still effective. To me Ryback seemed real on the mic. He wasn’t all that smooth in his delivery. He didn’t appear to be too comfortable and was not very articulate. That was ok though because in reality some people just aren’t very good public speakers. Ryback is a jacked up muscle head. Pardon my stereotypical thinking but I don’t expect him to be a wordsmith. He’s a big guy that barked his threats and stumbled over his words a bit. He’s clearly more comfortable letting his actions speak for him and that’s ok. I don’t want all of the wrestlers to come off as trained actors. If wrestling was real one would not have to perform auditions with a microphone to get in WWE. Speaking in front of an audience would be a complete afterthought and performance in the ring would be the primary focus. It would be realistic to think that not every wrestler would be comfortable on the mic. So while I don’t know that it’s appropriate to call Ryback’s lack of mic skills a skill I think it does lend some reality to the product which is always a good thing.

There are a few things that supersede mic skills which in turn, may take you over.

A) If you're jacked up monster like Batista or Warrior or Goldberg and are booked as such. Fans love rooting for a big boy. Old smarkies will tell you Vince pretty much forced this cool-aid of his onto us, but society as such likes an unstoppable big bad ass. The chiseled look and what not, is something that might take you over. But again it is, if the fans accept you.

B) How ladies, and I can't stress enough, (and am very close to making a thread about it), make you go over. This might seem rudimentary, a little pop here and shit. But observe the case of one Jeff Hardy, a horrid talker, forced facial expressions, and yet at one time, the 2nd dog in the WWE. Every time his music would hit, the girls would just scream and belch. Maybe not belch. Rewind to a Jeff Hardy match in 2009 and see how many chicks are there in attendance, you would be astonished.

But you know what mic-skills give you? Longevity. If you can talk, and convince people in whatever convulsed angle you are taking, it helps the business. This business is scripted, a lot of it is the talking and giving a somewhat convincing performance. People who are good on the mic, Piper, Flair, Savage (yes Savage), Shawn, Austin, Rock, Cena, Punk all have proven that vocalizing your gimmick and making people hate you/love you, gives you that ethereal 'IT factor' to connect to the fans. Thus, carrying on the theater aspect of pro-wrestling which is goddamn important.

Make no mistake, mic-skills are NOT overrated. Anyone who has them, and has good facial expressions to sell his emotions, is a valuable asset to this business.

Mic skills are very important, its rare you see someone really make it without them. All of the people who make it to the top are at least competent, Lesnar and Ryback are no CM Punk, but they are alright.

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. Being a good 'actor' IS what makes someone seem real, when they get you invested and when they get you to believe and follow everything they say. If one was terrible on the mic, if they stuttered, if they had no confidence, if they lost the idea of what they were meant to say or any of that, its a deal breaker. It would be excellent if they all came across as trained actors. Believe it or not, when you're playing a character (even yourself), it takes a lot of talent to seem 'real'/

CM punk aint even that good on the mic, his heel promos are absolutely terrible. I remember when people used to know what cheap pops or heat are, and all CM Punk does is work on that cheap shit. Insulting the crowd, just like Ryback tonight calling all the crowd lazy and fat. If thats all you can do, you are wack....

As for Mic Skills, really, it's all opinion. I think its incredibly stupid to say this talent or that talent isn't important and that's that because everyone likes different things. When I was younger I used to really think in ring skills and psychology were more important, but now that doesn't entertain me as much.

I have always placed a high importance on mic skills and now to be honest, I don't care what happens in the ring its fake. Who cares... I think creative are the ones messing up results and things because its so predictable, I hate to go on a tirade but wrestling fans and creative really need to break out of this thought process of this guy beat this guy so he needs to beat that guy and so and so needs to put this guy over. Screw that. Make it more unpredictable because in no real sport does it work like that so why should it in wrestling, that's the next evolution I think the industry needs to make.

But to say this skill is not important really is a complete matter of opinion. Promos entertain me the most now so Mic Skills are most important to me, and because you think otherwise is just an opinion nothing more. Not a fact as you would like to state it.

I thought that Ryback came across as much, much more comfortable on the mic last night than we've seen. He did stumble a little during the middle of the promo, but he's gotten a helluva lot better at pacing himself. He didn't grunt & snort & breathe heavy like he was on the verge of a climax last night, he kept his delivery in a more realistic tone of voice, he interacted with the crowd much better than usual, got a strong heel reaction from the crowd and the added visual of the ambulance helped to really get people's attention. Ryback really needed a strong follow up promo to Extreme Rules and he delivered. It was made all the more impactful as John Cena was kept completely off the show in order to sell how devastating Ryback's assault was.

I don't necessarily think that Ryback will be among the "all time greats" when it comes to promos, but he's vastly improved over the past several weeks. He has a fantastic look and physical presence, and that helps with the kind of heel promo he cut last night. If Ryback can get his delivery down a bit more and smooth things out, then he'll certainly have all that he needs for his current character.

Okay I have returned... LOL! I really hate how much weight you guys give "GREAT ON THE STICK". I see that so much on this site and I hate it. First off Dean Ambrose SUX! Oh and I have always said that the MIZ SUX! Kamala could barely talk but honestly who would U rather FIGHT! See that is what U guys miss. In the age of prepackaged manufactured pretty boy wrestlers who all look and act the same... Really what is the difference in Jericho, the Miz and Alex Riley... U forget that there are some people U just know not to fight. I was a bouncer for 7 years did I fear the young college kids who talked about how tough they were or the quiet semi - retired marine who you could see had death and pain in his eyes. I actually am not a big RYBACK fan but I like how he has turned into a BULLY RAY leather vest tough guy type. HE LOOKS IT! If U owed this guy money and he said he wanted it or he was gonna beat your azz... U WOULD PAY HIM! I cant say the same for Dean or Seth Rollins or all your other Internet darlings. Sometimes its the ones who CANT talk who are the WORSE... I know a 6'8 500 pound guy who mumbles and stutters but would U WANT 2 FIGHT HIM.... The Ultimate Warrior never said anything of Substance but who cares? U guys say Batista and Brock suck too but who cares? I HAVE GONE ON RECORD OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND SAID MARK HENRY IF PACKAGED RIGHT AS A MONSTER WOULD BE AWESOME AND LOOK AT HIM NOW.... U guys kept saying yeah but he moves slow and he is garbage " on the stick"... LMAO! Mic skills are not the tell all.... Put it this way there are a group of 16 year old "tough guys" in front of a store and they get into a shouting match with RYBACK the Great Khali and the Big Bossman... All guys U say stink on the mic.... Now who would TALK the better fight.... NOW WHO DO U PUT MONEY ON TO WIN? LOL..

Its more about suiting your character and portraying it well , A ryback type is going to sound rough and short intense burst so thats what he does to be effective, Rocks a smart arse egomaniac so he comes up with a bunch of clever one liners to say how good he is and dis all his opponents ect ect You still have to be good on the mic at what your doing, a guy like punk articulates his words because its the words themselves that sell his promos for ryback its the way he says it. I think he does it well enough still not a huge fan their alot of better guys but hes not bad.

If you lack Mic Skills you can still get far...but you wont get to the Top Tier, at least you wont stay there long.

There have been guys through the years with middling mic skills that managed to get main event runs, usually short runs however, never consistent main event guys.

If you cant talk, you wont make big money

Ryback doesn't exactly lack mic skills, the dude looks and sounds and comes across as a legit killer, which is what he is supposed to be, that is mic skills right there. You don't need to drop smarky, CM Punk style pipe bombs or have a million catch-phrases like The Rock to be a good mic worker. Just play the character your supposed to play convincingly.

You know who looked like Ryback but sucked on the mic? Bobby Lashley.

I don't think anyone, well I, expect Ryback to cut any Rockyesque or Piper style promos. The fact is, he just looks uncomfortable. He is ok in the ring, and carries himself with a certain restless that probably adds to his character. But on the mic, he still sucks.

There is a certain ebb and flow to a promo. Ryback's can't be more than a few minutes at best. I will say, it looks like he is getting better, but I still have this twitch to change the channel so I don't see him embarrass himself by stumbling his lines.

I disagree. I think that technical wrestling skills aren't that important. If you are just ok or decent in the ring but you can talk, you can be a main eventer. BUT you can be the best technical guy out there and if you can't talk, you'll never be a main eventer.

WWE (I'm talking strictly WWE, not indy circuits or anything like that) is all about entertainment. Mic skills = entertainment. That's how you get over.

If Ryback could talk, he'd be THE man right now and probably would get a title run. As it stands though, because he can't talk, he's just jobbing to Cena until CM Punk gets back then he'll be relegated back to the midcard.

Lacking mic skills is a bad thing in a sense that if you're bad on the stick, you still have to find a way to connect with the audience. This is why it was a mistake to turn Ryback heel. Terrible mic skills... but he found a way to connect through his intensity and the way he carried himself as a dominant face. He didn't need to speak. All he had to do was pump his fist 3 times and he had the entire arena's attention.

I see where you're coming from.

I think fans have a really twisted sense of what mic skills is. Everyone is compared to The Rock when it comes to mic skills, and if half your promo isn't lame puns and witty retorts (plus a healthy dose of overacting) you don't have mic skills. Not quite.

Like you said, it's about being effective. You gave Ryback as an example and I agree. Dude can't cut the promo of the century, but he gets the job done on the mic. He conveys the right thing.

Here's my example to further that. Mr.Anderson. Now, Anderson is someone who DOES have mic skills. He's witty, he's good at improvising, he knows what to say, he's loud, he's charismatic but when I listen to his promos I want to cunt punt someone. It's HORRIBLE. He has ALL the tools and doesn't know how to use them. He overacts, he stutters for no reason which is usually alright but in his case it boils my blood, and he stinks up the joint.

So when I compare Ryback's mic skills to Anderson's, guess what, I'll say Ryback's better DESPITE Anderson being more equipped for mic work. Why? Anderson doesn't convey the proper message, Ryback does. Anderson is following the supposed template of what make a good mic worker and he fails at it because there ISN'T one way to do it.

Savage sounded like a moron, all he did was grunt but it worked. Flair screamed his ass off and it worked, you're not supposed to do that. Rocky did his thing and hell, even Austin had great mic skills and he's one monotonous motherfucker.

So in regards to mic skills not being important, they are. As much as anything. It's just that people need to realize that there is not one single type of mic skills. From my experience, anything flies as long as you make it work. That's a lesson a lot of new guys need to learn.

There's never been a good way to do it. You usually know as soon as you hear a guy. You feel it, it clicks for you. I listen to Paul Heyman and it's nice and it works. I listen to Cena and it works. I listen to McMahon and it works. Triple H, Shawn, Jericho, you name it. Then I listen to Swagger or Sheamus, or Kofi or whoever and it just doesn't. It has nothing to it.

All those people I mentioned that "do it" for me? They all add their personalities to their mic skills which makes them unique in their own way and it works. Why? Because we, as fans, have a feeling for the authentic. Problem is, these days WWE is trying to run away from that. They don't want authentic, they want characters, they're one foot back in the 80's and the other one somewhere in the late 90's. Once authenticity becomes a factor again, we'll see more guys "click" for us. Until then we can just hope we get some good actors and even then that's not a guarantee.

Don't believe me? Compare an early WWE Punk promo to what he does now. Punk's allowed to be authentic now, thus he is good. He channels what HE thinks HE would say and it's easy flowing because it's HIM. When a ******* writer tells you WHAT to say and HOW to say it, of course you'll sound forced and not connect. The writer doesn't know you better than you know yourself. He knows what type of character he wants. Problem is, wrestlers aren't actors. They never were. They're glorified versions of themselves.

That's why everytime you juxtapose a wrestler's early work with his later work, the later is better because he is then allowed to be authentic. If Triple H was Hunter Hearst Helmsley all his career he wouldn't have improved at all on the mic.

Triple H, The Rock, Michaels, Cena, Punk all started out with gimmicks and evolved into a glorified version of themselves, and with that their mic work hit its peak. If this is done from the beginning these days, these boys would have more time to FIND themselves, thus find their sound and their style. It takes practice.

They need to look at the crowd, see what works, see what people connect with, see what works for them, what they're comfortable with. It's like being a singer, really. You have to put your own emotions into the song, otherwise you sound fake. If the producer tells a rock singer to do opera because that's what he wants, yeah, he'll sing it but it'll suck. That's what WWE does.

Mic skills are based on creativity, emotion and passion. You can't bind those things in strict rules. They HAVE to be unpredictable and completely free in order to allow a flow of creativity. Why they're not is beyond me.

Mic skills are not essential to main event or be legendary. Andre The Giant could never be accused of being an awesome talker. He had enough to get by if he needed to but once he was with Bobby Heenan the package was complete.

Some like Kamala didn't talk as he was playing a character, that he had a "handler" who also didn't talk and a manager who did didn't diminish him, it made him stand out.

Where mic skills come into play for a worker is for those who are either still learning their ring craft or who don't have the size to compete with the monsters. Look back at the greatest talkers, most were smaller workers who needed something else to stand out from the pack.

But you have to define mic skills to me its:-

1) The ability to talk on camera or to a live crowd to the same standard
2) To keep on point and build the feud, opponent or worker or event by the end of the promo
3) To do so with minimal scripting or to deliver the promo without it seeming scripted
4) To be able to adapt to mistakes, crowd reaction or timing changes "on the fly"
5) To be able to do all the above either recorded or live.

There are some differences between the past and now that also need to be taken into account.

In the Hogan era, the only live camera work was on PPV or SNME, there was no Monday Night RAW or Smackdown. TV was recorded and interviews were generally pre-taped backstage before the match generally took place. Victory speeches may have been live but again, they were often pre-taped. In-Ring interviews took place under a "talk show" format, with a host who had the skills to lead the proceedings - be it Piper, Brutus, Brother Love or Paul Bearer.

It wasn't until around 1996 that the formats began to change - Brian Pillman and Steve Austin were amongst the first guys to go out and "zing it off their heads" during that KOTR show. From there the interviews could happen anywhere, and over time who conducted them would become less important to what I call the "Triple H Effect" where a wrestler could go out and talk without a structure or "show" and their opponent come out and respond.

Today's WWE requires different skills - there is 3 hours of live TV every week, that's 3 hours of unforgiving hard scrutiny on every syllable that you utter. Smackdown is taped but that is not much of a consolation as re-tapes affect the time, costs and the crowd. Even if you can re-shoot a segment, as far as the talent are concerned it's still live.

So let's compare two guys from each era who worked against each other. First off Jake Roberts.

Jake didn't have size, a muscular build or even a technical excellence to fall back on. In the ring he was a forerunner to the 5 moves of doom. Without being able to talk in the way he did, Jake would have struggled in the "land of the giants" and not even been near the top table. When Jake spoke, it wasn't shouting or the traditional "wrestler rant" it was a measured delivery that propelled his story but he rarely did so live, he was a master of the "backstage interview" with Mean Gene and later grew into a talk show format - but it's hard to tell if Jake was doing promos like his WM6 zinger on the first take or after 50 but that ability to talk with Damien added into the mix made him a top 5 WWE talent of the day in terms of popularity or merchandise.

Now look at one of his opponents of the time, Rick Martel. Martel had excellent technical ability and a look that screamed "superstar". He had had success throughout his career based on this in the WWWF as a tag team champ and the AWA World Champion. Had he gone to the NWA he would have probably fought Flair at least twice for the title.

Martel's weakness was when he talked, his French-Canadian accent didn't so much let him down but made it harder for him to articulate in the way someone like Jake did or to shout the way a Warrior type would. So for the first period of being back in the WWF he was a relatively bland tag team member with a revolving set of partners. His mic "deficiency" showed most on the night when his singles push began when he turned on Tito Santana - he didn't come over well in that post match interview...but it didn't kill him. He still had his foundation to begin with, and they worked the way round it with the "Model" persona and props. Once he had his "arrogance atomiser" he had something to talk about and focus his promos on, he could talk about being a model, his looks and "arrogance". His delivery then began to improve but he was never fantastic on the mic even towards the end of his run. Martel still managed to be a fixture in the midcard of the WWF for 10 years. They used gimmick to fill in the gaps that mic skills left and because the foundation in-ring was so good that was enough. He was a success in the WWF without what we today or then would have called mic skills.

Now compare two guys who worked last night "on the mic".

Triple H - Triple H didn't always have a "mic ability", indeed his "blueblood" incarnation never talked at all, just stuck his nose up in the air. Over time he began to build confidence but it was DX that allowed him to develop those skills. He could be the foil at first to Shawn, learning from him but also he was allowed to "goof off" and it's impossible not to build your skills when you are being stupid onscreen. Once Shawn was gone and Trips had to step up he was able to keep that "fun" part but develop the serious side but make no mistake - Triple H has had more "help" and "room to grow" on the mic than any other wrestler in WWF/E history so today when he talks people do listen but it took him a long time to get there and without that ability to learn and time to do so he would not have been the star he is.

Now look at Curtis Axel - last night was his big reveal, his big moment and once the cringing over the name went I noticed he almost "blew it" with his nervous giggle after "I have arrived". It looked bad and sounded terrible, like the moment had gotten to him. He did redeem it though when Triple H hit the ring and he got between he and Heyman.

This is someone who is with a manager as they "don't have mic skills" and he showed very much he is a work in progress on that score, but in the ring he has the tools and now the experience to make it work. He just went out on live TV with a new name that people were gonna fart on, which means something to him, disappointing a crowd who wanted Rob Van Dam, faced down one of those who do "have mic skills" and survived it. Not an A grade for sure, but a solid B.

Where people struggle is if they don't have that foundation OR mic skills to back it up, or they have an accent that is hard for the American audience to understand... Mason Ryan could be a monster and has improved immensely by all accounts, but if he can't improve the welsh accent at all, he's never gonna make it - not cos he can't talk, but cos he can't be understood by 90% of the audience.

This whole thread made me think of 1 thing: Wrestlers playing to their strengths. Some people just are not good on the mic, its a fact but there`s nothing wrong with that. There are a million ways to get around that fact. You can give them a manager, let them speak and keep it simple, pull a Goldberg, ect. Frankly, I wouldn`t expect someone like Ryback to be Mr. Eloquent on the mic, I expect him to do his talking in the ring. He`s a big hulking brute, why would he talk up a storm, he doesn`t have to.

With that being said Ryback isn`t Ric Flair or anything on the mic but he`s passable, he`s simple and gets the point across but like I initially said I don`t give a shit if he`s not good on the mic, he really doesn`t have to be. Some guys need to be good on the mic to get over (like Piper) but not everyone has to. Andre was one of wrestlings biggest draws ever, I don`t recall him giving memorable promos, mostly I didn`t understand what the hell he was saying but he was a giant, that was enough.

Great wrestlers can somewhat get by on in ring skills (Jeff Hardy) but to be a complete package, one that draws big business you need to be charismatic and cut a promo. Austin, Rock, Flair, and yes Punk can cut a promo. CM Punk is so good that he purposely over plays the heel role so Super Cena is the number 1 good guy. That's what a great heel does. Punk summer of 2011, best in the business and it made him on the Cena level of selling merchandise & tickets.

The best promo in the business ever, I think was Jake The Snake Roberts... Go watch some of his promos... Perfect and his promos alone sold tickets.

Not a bodybuilder, decent in the ring, but man that guy was right behind Hogan & Warrior.

That's what wrestling is selling tickets..you need to accentuate a performers skills and cover their flaws .... To quote Ryback "STUPID"!!!!!!!!!!

Mic skills are not essential to main event or be legendary. Andre The Giant could never be accused of being an awesome talker. He had enough to get by if he needed to but once he was with Bobby Heenan the package was complete.

Some like Kamala didn't talk as he was playing a character, that he had a "handler" who also didn't talk and a manager who did didn't diminish him, it made him stand out.

Where mic skills come into play for a worker is for those who are either still learning their ring craft or who don't have the size to compete with the monsters. Look back at the greatest talkers, most were smaller workers who needed something else to stand out from the pack.

But you have to define mic skills to me its:-

1) The ability to talk on camera or to a live crowd to the same standard
2) To keep on point and build the feud, opponent or worker or event by the end of the promo
3) To do so with minimal scripting or to deliver the promo without it seeming scripted
4) To be able to adapt to mistakes, crowd reaction or timing changes "on the fly"
5) To be able to do all the above either recorded or live.

There are some differences between the past and now that also need to be taken into account.

In the Hogan era, the only live camera work was on PPV or SNME, there was no Monday Night RAW or Smackdown. TV was recorded and interviews were generally pre-taped backstage before the match generally took place. Victory speeches may have been live but again, they were often pre-taped. In-Ring interviews took place under a "talk show" format, with a host who had the skills to lead the proceedings - be it Piper, Brutus, Brother Love or Paul Bearer.

It wasn't until around 1996 that the formats began to change - Brian Pillman and Steve Austin were amongst the first guys to go out and "zing it off their heads" during that KOTR show. From there the interviews could happen anywhere, and over time who conducted them would become less important to what I call the "Triple H Effect" where a wrestler could go out and talk without a structure or "show" and their opponent come out and respond.

Today's WWE requires different skills - there is 3 hours of live TV every week, that's 3 hours of unforgiving hard scrutiny on every syllable that you utter. Smackdown is taped but that is not much of a consolation as re-tapes affect the time, costs and the crowd. Even if you can re-shoot a segment, as far as the talent are concerned it's still live.

So let's compare two guys from each era who worked against each other. First off Jake Roberts.

Jake didn't have size, a muscular build or even a technical excellence to fall back on. In the ring he was a forerunner to the 5 moves of doom. Without being able to talk in the way he did, Jake would have struggled in the "land of the giants" and not even been near the top table. When Jake spoke, it wasn't shouting or the traditional "wrestler rant" it was a measured delivery that propelled his story but he rarely did so live, he was a master of the "backstage interview" with Mean Gene and later grew into a talk show format - but it's hard to tell if Jake was doing promos like his WM6 zinger on the first take or after 50 but that ability to talk with Damien added into the mix made him a top 5 WWE talent of the day in terms of popularity or merchandise.

Now look at one of his opponents of the time, Rick Martel. Martel had excellent technical ability and a look that screamed "superstar". He had had success throughout his career based on this in the WWWF as a tag team champ and the AWA World Champion. Had he gone to the NWA he would have probably fought Flair at least twice for the title.

Martel's weakness was when he talked, his French-Canadian accent didn't so much let him down but made it harder for him to articulate in the way someone like Jake did or to shout the way a Warrior type would. So for the first period of being back in the WWF he was a relatively bland tag team member with a revolving set of partners. His mic "deficiency" showed most on the night when his singles push began when he turned on Tito Santana - he didn't come over well in that post match interview...but it didn't kill him. He still had his foundation to begin with, and they worked the way round it with the "Model" persona and props. Once he had his "arrogance atomiser" he had something to talk about and focus his promos on, he could talk about being a model, his looks and "arrogance". His delivery then began to improve but he was never fantastic on the mic even towards the end of his run. Martel still managed to be a fixture in the midcard of the WWF for 10 years. They used gimmick to fill in the gaps that mic skills left and because the foundation in-ring was so good that was enough. He was a success in the WWF without what we today or then would have called mic skills.

Now compare two guys who worked last night "on the mic".

Triple H - Triple H didn't always have a "mic ability", indeed his "blueblood" incarnation never talked at all, just stuck his nose up in the air. Over time he began to build confidence but it was DX that allowed him to develop those skills. He could be the foil at first to Shawn, learning from him but also he was allowed to "goof off" and it's impossible not to build your skills when you are being stupid onscreen. Once Shawn was gone and Trips had to step up he was able to keep that "fun" part but develop the serious side but make no mistake - Triple H has had more "help" and "room to grow" on the mic than any other wrestler in WWF/E history so today when he talks people do listen but it took him a long time to get there and without that ability to learn and time to do so he would not have been the star he is.

Now look at Curtis Axel - last night was his big reveal, his big moment and once the cringing over the name went I noticed he almost "blew it" with his nervous giggle after "I have arrived". It looked bad and sounded terrible, like the moment had gotten to him. He did redeem it though when Triple H hit the ring and he got between he and Heyman.

This is someone who is with a manager as they "don't have mic skills" and he showed very much he is a work in progress on that score, but in the ring he has the tools and now the experience to make it work. He just went out on live TV with a new name that people were gonna fart on, which means something to him, disappointing a crowd who wanted Rob Van Dam, faced down one of those who do "have mic skills" and survived it. Not an A grade for sure, but a solid B.

Where people struggle is if they don't have that foundation OR mic skills to back it up, or they have an accent that is hard for the American audience to understand... Mason Ryan could be a monster and has improved immensely by all accounts, but if he can't improve the welsh accent at all, he's never gonna make it - not cos he can't talk, but cos he can't be understood by 90% of the audience.
Best Jake interview...go watch this Tuesday night in Texas..after he slapped Elizabeth ( talk about PG) he creeps Mean Gene out... When he says " oh when I touch Liz it felt so good, I'd pay for that" You can see Gene's face like "Jesus what's he saying". That was not the nice good guy Jake but the real Jake Roberts.

Kane is a good example of what's being discussed. When he first morphed from Dr. Isaac Yankem into the man in a mask, he wasn't just inarticulate ....he was mute, at least at first. But then, if you're a monster, you don't need to talk, right? (I still remember him as Unabomb in Smoky Mountain Wrestling; he didn't talk there, either)

Fact is, Glenn Jacobs has had a varied and effective career because he developed his speaking ability. Every character in WWE has to change eventually; even the Undertaker's dead man gimmick was abandoned for awhile, replaced by the biker schtick.

Kane has always been Kane, yet he's varied his act greatly as he went along. Yes, you can say getting rid of the mask was responsible for part of it, but I think bringing out his previously unknown ability on the mic is what led to his surprisingly effective title reign a few years ago. He brought new life to his monster persona by talking as well as fighting. Who knew he was capable?

Obviously, some wrestlers are stronger on vocals than others, but although it might seem that everyone has to have some skills with their voices, there are many guys who never get any mic time. Either they aren't being pushed, or they don't have the ability to talk a good game. But anyone who expects to advance has to be able to pick up a mic and tell us about it.

CM punk aint even that good on the mic, his heel promos are absolutely terrible. I remember when people used to know what cheap pops or heat are, and all CM Punk does is work on that cheap shit. Insulting the crowd, just like Ryback tonight calling all the crowd lazy and fat. If thats all you can do, you are wack....

CM Punk is not terrible. CM Punk is the best mic man in Wrestling today. What wrestling show have you been watching? Punk does more then insults the fans! When he feuded with 'Taker, he was taking every shoot at 'Taker and Bearer by dropping the urn and mocking Bearers voice, that's a good heel. When he was a "heel" in 2011, he had the best promo's ever. He took every shoot at the wrestlers, "Kevin Nash, WTF! I thought he was dead!" He played a perfect heel, he not only attacks the fan's, he attacks the wrestlers too!

CM Punk is not terrible. CM Punk is the best mic man in Wrestling today. What wrestling show have you been watching? Punk does more then insults the fans! When he feuded with 'Taker, he was taking every shoot at 'Taker and Bearer by dropping the urn and mocking Bearers voice, that's a good heel. When he was a "heel" in 2011, he had the best promo's ever. He took every shoot at the wrestlers, "Kevin Nash, WTF! I thought he was dead!" He played a perfect heel, he not only attacks the fan's, he attacks the wrestlers too!

I don't ride cm punks dick like you guys. I know you guys love him, I think he is unbearable on the mic. It's all cheap heat.... like I said before, if thats how you get over.... insulting the crowd, you don't have mic skills. And that's all his promos were.... Jericho back in the day, now that was a heel with some mic skills... and its the way punk does it, it's not even creative he comes out there with the same shit every time saying your all failures, lazy, fat all this stuff, you could never beat me. That's not good mic skills but I'm noticing a departure from people calling wrestlers on that.

I don't ride cm punks dick like you guys. I know you guys love him, I think he is unbearable on the mic. It's all cheap heat.... like I said before, if thats how you get over.... insulting the crowd, you don't have mic skills. And that's all his promos were.... Jericho back in the day, now that was a heel with some mic skills... and its the way punk does it, it's not even creative he comes out there with the same shit every time saying your all failures, lazy, fat all this stuff, you could never beat me. That's not good mic skills but I'm noticing a departure from people calling wrestlers on that.

I think CM Punk is good on the mic from the standpoint of his delivery, facial expressions/emotions but he's not that great in terms of overall content. He's had a couple really good, "unique" promos but over the couple months of his long title reign, he pretty much said the same thing over and over again, AND he said the same thing every heel before him has (as you pointed out). I don't get why all these Punk marks hang on every word he says like it's revolutionary. It's not, it's been done before.

Charisma and presence are huge...but I think mic skills are no different than ring skills in a very important sense.

I know we're not supposed to talk about him, but Chris Benoit was a revelation in ECW because Heyman was brilliant at finding positives and highlighting them. So when Benoit did a promo, it was shot upwards slightly in order to highlight his hands, making them appear bigger while he rubbed them menacingly together and he spoke with largely monosyllabic words. Heyman knew Benoit wasn't eloquent...so he didn't ask him to be.

Promos and wrestling are the same. Figure out what you're good at and even if it's not what other "top" guys are doing, keep doing it and perfect it. If you can't throw a kick to the head without falling off balance and looking awkward, then don't do it. Instead work on throwing a Terry Funk-esque punch or suplex like Kurt Angle. More guys need to learn to work within their abilities and stop trying to be the athletes they clearly aren't.

And if a guy can't cut a 5 minute promo, but he's got charisma, presence, or can work his ass off...then send him out for a 1 minute promo and have him work with guys who can carry the talking part of the angle. WWE and TNA need to stop trying to crowbar guys into what they think they should be and start highlighting the attributes they do have and hide the rest.

I agree. In fact, I think all of the successful stars, including Benoit, partly got where they were, because they played on their positives, and played down their negatives. This is both up to how the performer himself carries himself, and how the company emphasize him. Heyman made Benoit look special, so he was accepted as "special".

Take Benoit. He was no wordsmith, but he would be one of the best three in-ring performers I have ever seen. I think you succeed if you offer truckloads of something. Benoit wasn't a wordsmith, but more than made up with it with his wrestling prowess. I don't it matters if you are a better wrestler, or better on the mike. But you have to be better on at least one. Those who excel at both do the best, but if you lack in one, you better bring it in the other.

Besides, Dolph Ziggler, who is much loved on the internet, isn't that great on the mike. Name me one memorable promo that he has cut. Also, he has had mouthpieces his entire career (Vickie, AJ etc). So, would some of you now retract your belief that Ziggler will be a huge star, if you need stickwork to be a star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back