Kurt Angle: "I'm not going anywhere. I will retire in TNA."

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
In an interview with the UK Sun, Angle had the following to say:

He talks about his future in TNA: "My contract comes up in August/September. I'm going to re-evaluate. But I am NOT going anywhere else. I will stay in TNA, I just need to see how much I'm going to be wresting for them, whether part time or whatever amount of time, but I'm very happy in TNA. A lot of my fans have been asking 'When are you going back to WWE?' but I will retire here. I'm very excited about the product, the company keeps growing and I like to think I've been a small part of it. I'm going to stick around and hopefully I'll do something part time when my contract is up. I think Dixie Carter and myself need to sit down and work it out. I'm not against even working every PPV. I just know that I can't continuously go on the road and wrestle hundreds of days a year. I'm not able to any more. Not if I'm to be able to perform the way they want me to."

Thoughts? Irrelevant and baseless whining about how he'll "retire in front of 50 people instead of 50,000"?

Disappointing stuff from my perspective. Kurt is one of my favourite wrestlers(pointing out the obvious!) so for him to retire in a promotion I don't have any passion or interest in is pretty disheartening.

But, doesn't confirm anything for me. People say they'll do this or that in the wrestling industry, and most of the time go back on their word. I'll believe it when I see it.

For now, reports are still that his contract expires in August, so we'll see come then where Kurt Angle's allegiance lies when his actions speak louder than his words.

Keeping his performances rare after this Angle/Jarret fued wraps up is a good idea. His bouts will have a "special attraction" feel to it if we don't see him in the ring for ages. I hope when he does retire, he maintains a presence backstage to give a few tips to some of the up and comers.

I just hope they stop doing these retirement angles with him.

Thoughts? Irrelevant and baseless whining about how he'll "retire in front of 50 people instead of 50,000"?

That's right on the money. I feel the same about Angle as I do of Sting; they've deprived themselves and their fans of the excitement of seeing them on the grandest scale of their profession. Yes, they have the right to work wherever they want to, but there are only a few performers who reach the pinnacle of their professions.....and these two guys qualify. What a waste to keep themselves in the minor leagues.

I suppose this will sound like sour grapes, but in Kurt Angle's case......fine. A few years ago, his announcement would have disappointed me, but I was watching him a few nights ago for the first time in a while. He looked heavier, older and slower, which is natural at his age. Let him retire in Dixie-land; it doesn't really matter anymore.

I think he will retire in TNA, just like Ric Flair retired in WWE.

If Angle wants to retire in TNA I respect him for that. I consider Angle a TNA original, I know by most people's standards he's not, but in my book he is.

Angle helped put TNA on the map, and I don't blame him for wanting to retire their, but in my unprofessional opinion, I think he will be in WWE again one day. Even if its just to enter the Hall, he'll return.

Wow, posted in the TNA thread, and the only two replies are from TNA haters...

The way I see it, that would be about the smartest move Kurt can make. Yeah, he might get to dance one last time on The Grandest Stage of Them All, but then again, look at what happens to wrestlers who leave and come back. Booker T? Announcer. Kevin Nash? IF he's used again, it'll be as a prop, a backdrop, NOT as the lead. Has anyone even SEEN Nash on TV since his "surprise" entry in the Rumble?

No, Kurt can spend his twilight years in TNA, where he will make damn good money for the amount of work expected of him, he can stay relevant in storylines every time he DOES appear in the ring or on TV, and he can prolong his career as long as he wants, thanks to the lighter workload.

It's a no-brainer, as I see it.

I think that Sting and Angle have both already performed on the biggest stage of them all. Sting at Starcadde numerous time and Angle at mania numerous times. I think the thing people forget is that Sting Main Evented Starcadde against Hogan when WCW was the biggest wrestling company. So I don't see what Sting has left to accomplish. Same with Angle been in the ring with Rock, Hogan, Cena, Taker, HHH, Mick Foley, and Sting what else is left for him to accomplish.

Kurt Angle certainly wouldn't be against wrestling a "McMahon" schedule in WWE, as he has alluded to here. What about for one night though, at the tail-end of his career coupled with an HOF induction? I'm sure Angle wouldn't rule that one out. It all goes back to the old pro-wrestling stand-by... Never say Never.

That said, I think Kurt Angle is sincere about finishing up his career in TNA. Depending on which side you believe, Kurt had some legitimate physical issues that WWE was simply not acknowledging by insisting that he maintain the same schedule he had been keeping. I believe this is the root of the matter in which he left and the fact the company essentially didn't care about his well-being didn't sit right with him. I'm sure there is still a LOT of anger and hurt feelings with Angle regarding WWE... wounds that I'm sure he's not too keen on re-opening.

I think Kurt Angle will be TNA's first legitimate "legend" that gave much to the company when he could still have made buckets of money working for WWE and gaining even more exposure. I believe Angle will have the last match of his active career in TNA, but I don't rule out his appearance in WWE sometime in the future... possibly in some sort of in-ring capacity.

Well I find that a little disappointing although his tone could change in the next year or so. Ive always liked Kurt Angle and his ability in the Ring,he had a great run in the WWE and was sorry to see him leave the way he did.

I think guys like Kurt and Sting are kidding themselves as someone said earlier about Retiring in the Minor Leagues rather than go out on top with WWE. I guess I can respect his decesion,I don't like it but I can respect it a little bit.

So... wait. Kurt Angle, an all-time great and sure fire Hall Of Famer anywhere, decides to step down from the pinnacle of WWE's main event scene and spend the last of his glory days helping TNA become a major promotion, and people whine about it?! As a major Kurt Angle fan, I personally find what he's doing as the ultimate thank you to pro wrestling. This man stepped down from his post to elevate another company. NOBODY ever did such a thing. NOBODY. If you ask me, wrestling fans should thank him and shut the hell up about him returning to WWE. If he wants to stay in TNA, then good on him. Thanks a million, Kurt. Because of you, I discovered TNA and realized that there was more to pro wrestling than WWE and that there's more to wrestling than selling merch. I don't care where you are. You are an all-time great and I'm glad you gave me an alternative in pro wrestling.

Alot of people don't view TNA as the minor leagues. There are numerous people who see TNA as basically in the same spot as WCW was. (or where WWE was when WCW was on top). Just because people may view TNA as minor league doesn't make it so. Personally, I see TNA as one of the two major wrestling companies in the United States. With ROH and NWA Hollywood fighting for the third place.

Great point, tbp82. People tend to forget that WCW was on top for a while. In my opinion, Sting was part of the reason they were. He didn't appear on Wrestlemania - he BEAT Wrestlemania.

By the way, Angle is NOT cheating his fans out of anything by being in TNA. Instead, he's giving them one heck of a treat!
He meets with fans before shows, gives autographs for free, lets them take their own pictures for free, and even poses with the fans INSIDE a TNA ring (for $20, which is pretty darned good for what you get) for professional pictures! How often does that happen in the WWE?

For fans of a big-name wrestler, the best thing that could happen for them would be for them to join TNA. They really go out of their way to make the fans happy. As a fan, I hope Kurt Angle does exactly what he says & stays with them for the rest of his career.

I dont view them as the minor leagues, i think people are just disappointed that when he does retire it wont have the same impact as Shawn Micheals or a Ric Flair did, and he deserves the same kind of accolades. The WWE would just be able to give him a bigger and grander sendoff then TNA will be able to. And thats not a knock on a TNA, its just fact.

Ask yourself this question even if you love TNA 100 times more than the WWE. Would you rather see Kurt vs Jeff Jarrett, with his kids involved in this silly angle theyre running ? Or would you rather see Kurt vs the Undertaker trying to break the streak at next years wrestlemania ? And it doesnt have to be vs the Undertaker but it would be more impactful if he was at wrestlemaina as opposed to bound for glory, it just would be.

So, according to the WWE fanboys, Kurt Angle should go to the WWE and go out with a bang. That's cute, but here's a question: WHY? So he could have great fireworks? So he'll end it where he started it? Who the fuck is he going to wrestle that deserves to be in the ring with him and get the rub? The Miz? John Morrisson? Ziggler? Angle could run circles around any of those guys.

Kurt Angle has proven time and time again that he's a wrestler who likes to wrestle. I'm sure he'd rather go out with an amazing match against an amazing wrestler with no restrictions and build his own feud. Who knows, maybe Vinnie will force retire him like he did Flair. He's not sports entertainer who likes to entertain. He'll retire in a wrestling company, probably against the likes of AJ Styles (and I've heard that one of the reasons Angle came to TNA was to wrestle AJ). He'll give the rub to a guy that deserves it and can use it, not some WWE experiment that could and probably will be forgotten a month later and end up jobbing to the jobbers (lobster head anyone? It's delicious!). He'll retire in a company that deserves to be the place where he has his last match, a company that's becoming big, not a company that used to be big, a place where stuff like that are forgotten the minute WWE pushes some mediocre greenhorn by giving him three World Title runs so the fans absolutely lose their shit over him, thinking he's a living, breathing God.

One more great wrestler chooses TNA over WWE. Oh minor leagues, you so stoopid.

Did you really expect him to say "Nah, when my contracts up here I'm going to jump ship back to the other show, and retire there"? seriously? of course he gonna say that he plans on sticking with TNA, and retire there, he's still under contract to them, honestly I could care less, I would like to see him back in WWE for one more run, just like I wouldn't mind seeing Sting at WM once before he hangs it up for good, but if it doesn't happen then so be it

EDIT: It never ceases to amaze me how hostile the TNA fan boys can get over anything

I dont view them as the minor leagues, i think people are just disappointed that when he does retire it wont have the same impact as Shawn Micheals or a Ric Flair did, and he deserves the same kind of accolades. The WWE would just be able to give him a bigger and grander sendoff then TNA will be able to. And thats not a knock on a TNA, its just fact.

Ask yourself this question even if you love TNA 100 times more than the WWE. Would you rather see Kurt vs Jeff Jarrett, with his kids involved in this silly angle theyre running ? Or would you rather see Kurt vs the Undertaker trying to break the streak at next years wrestlemania ? And it doesnt have to be vs the Undertaker but it would be more impactful if he was at wrestlemaina as opposed to bound for glory, it just would be.

No I wouldnt want to see Kurt return so he could go into a pointless feud where I already know he is going to lose to the Undertaker.

Its not a silly angle at all if they played this angle in WWE people would go ape shit saying how attitude is back and how real WWE is making the feud look, they just would.

Kurt Angle has done it all Kurt has feuded with anyone worth mentioning Cena, HHH, taker, Austin, Rock, Lesnar, HBK, the list goes on he has stole the show with lesnar and with HBK he has made his impact and mark on mania

I am happy for Kurt as well as Sting and they are not taking anything away from the fans if you are a fan of Kurt or Sting then watch TNA, to be very honest I don't think Kurt cares about sendoffs great stars dont need nor do they get sendoffs Macho Man, Hogan, Austin, The Rock, Andre, as well as many more didnt have send offs. They had HOF induction but thats not a sendoff

Ric Flair is arguably the greatest of all time

and to be VERY VERY honest HBK is the golden child and is a big reason the WWE still exist today, had he gone to WCW in 1996 their is a huge chance WWE wouldnt be here today. Also the fact that he came back to entertain for another 8 years and made a whole new generation of fans makes him very deserving of a sendoff.

Sendoffs are not for everyone and as great as Kurt Angle is his career does not warrant/nor does it need a send-off. Like a Flair or HBK, and as a fan I look forward to seeing Kurt continue to wrestler and hopefully make TNA into a bigger company

Great point, tbp82. People tend to forget that WCW was on top for a while. In my opinion, Sting was part of the reason they were. He didn't appear on Wrestlemania - he BEAT Wrestlemania.

By the way, Angle is NOT cheating his fans out of anything by being in TNA. Instead, he's giving them one heck of a treat!
He meets with fans before shows, gives autographs for free, lets them take their own pictures for free, and even poses with the fans INSIDE a TNA ring (for $20, which is pretty darned good for what you get) for professional pictures! How often does that happen in the WWE?

For fans of a big-name wrestler, the best thing that could happen for them would be for them to join TNA. They really go out of their way to make the fans happy. As a fan, I hope Kurt Angle does exactly what he says & stays with them for the rest of his career.

Except that wCw were in 6 while WWE was in the high 5 or 6 too. Not 3-4 vs 1 in the ratings.

I love TNA but TNA is minor league. I love TNA more than I love WWE but I would like to see him in WWE again, just like I would like Jeff Hardy in WWE (for the kids who are fans of him... this is not good bye... bla bla bla) and just like I would like to see Sting in WWE.

Stop being so defensive and how everyone hate one promotion and love the others or are out to get your little precious promotion. I love TNA more than I love WWE, I am not an hater of TNA but I would still love to see those guys finish on a grand stage, how is that so wrong or so dumb?

So, according to the WWE fanboys, Kurt Angle should go to the WWE and go out with a bang. That's cute, but here's a question: WHY? So he could have great fireworks? So he'll end it where he started it? Who the fuck is he going to wrestle that deserves to be in the ring with him and get the rub? The Miz? John Morrisson? Ziggler? Angle could run circles around any of those guys.

Kurt Angle has proven time and time again that he's a wrestler who likes to wrestle. I'm sure he'd rather go out with an amazing match against an amazing wrestler with no restrictions and build his own feud. Who knows, maybe Vinnie will force retire him like he did Flair. He's not sports entertainer who likes to entertain. He'll retire in a wrestling company, probably against the likes of AJ Styles (and I've heard that one of the reasons Angle came to TNA was to wrestle AJ). He'll give the rub to a guy that deserves it and can use it, not some WWE experiment that could and probably will be forgotten a month later and end up jobbing to the jobbers (lobster head anyone? It's delicious!). He'll retire in a company that deserves to be the place where he has his last match, a company that's becoming big, not a company that used to be big, a place where stuff like that are forgotten the minute WWE pushes some mediocre greenhorn by giving him three World Title runs so the fans absolutely lose their shit over him, thinking he's a living, breathing God.

One more great wrestler chooses TNA over WWE. Oh minor leagues, you so stoopid.

Did you just act like TNA is a wrestling company?? :lol::lmao: Do you want me to run down the list of stupid things that TNA have done just like the WWE? Do you really want to go there?

Kurt Angle is not a real wrestler and has not been for a LONG time. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch Dixie Dolts.

Time and time again pro wrestlers have proven that it's not what you say but what you do. Kurt is a major politician. He knows the game and wouldn't hesitate to leave TNA for WWE when the time is right.

I will guarantee that Kurt Angle returns to WWE in some fashion in the future. That's what happens in wrestling. Bret Hart vowed to never work for Vinny Mac again. How'd that go? Ric Flair swore he was retired from in-ring action and would 'never' work for TNA. Uh, huh. Hogan would never go back to WWE after he left the first time. Not true.

When the time is right, Kurt Angle will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame and I would not be surprised to see him back in some other capacity including backstage, trainer and/or in-ring wrestler.

Never read too far into what any professional wrestling says.

Obviously this is great news. There are probably some wrestling fans out there, ignorant enough to believe that the WWE is the be all and end all for a professional wrestler. Kurt Angle is proving that is clearly not the case. I know as one poster mentioned 'Kurt has to say this' but I actually believe Angle. There's soo much more for Angle to do in TNA, as lready mentioned. He's got guys like AJ Styles, Matt Morgan, Mr Anderson, Beer Money, MCMG, Kaz etc to work with and help progress to the next level. And if he fancies wrestling a legend for a night he's got RVD, Sting, Flair possibly Hogan to choose from. Despite the superior talent to work with, he's also got the chance to keep building TNA. I think everyone knows how much Angle has helped TNA grow and attract fans. TNA are on the verge of possibly something big and Angle knows this IMO.

He made a good decision. He wouldnt fit in to the PG thing, he looks looks and wrestles like a machine in TNA compared to the guys in WWE. It would be too unrealistic.

Well this news doesn't surprise me at all, I never thought he would do one last run in the E cause besides for a match w/Taker at Mania he doesn't have anything left to accomplish. He has already been in great feuds w/Taker so having another just for the sake of Mania isn't that big a deal to him I would guess.

Now I do believe he will be back to the E to get put in the Hall of Fame, but I never thought I would see him wrestle there again. In the end it doesn't make me a difference cause he has given out some great matches in TNA so over all I'm glad he went there & I wish him the best whatever he decide to do cause his mind could always change.

We have seen Bret Hart hug Shawn Michaels, so anything is possible. I was never a big Kurt Angle fan because as he was getting into the main event scene is when my interest in wrestling started to wain. Not because of him, but because I went off to boot camp and didn't get to watch any tv. A wrestler retiring is always taken with a grain of salt. Didn't Kurt lose a retirement match not too long ago? And, look at Flair. He bashed TNA and Hogan, so you can't be sure what will happen.

Side note: It is odd that most of the people calling TNA "minor league" are their fans. Don't worry what other people think of your company. The more defensive you are, the worse you look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back