• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Korea's 2009 Oscar Entry Is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
According to Variety. The Korean Film Council has decided to submit Bong Joon-ho's Mother to AMPAS for consideration as one of the Oscar's five best foreign film nominees for 2009. Since countries may only submit one film, this precludes Chan-wook Park's Thirst from consideration.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007170.html?categoryid=19&cs=1

tdigle's Thoughts: Man! It looks like the battle of the Korean directors is on! Unfortunately, it seems as though Chan-wook Park has cooled off, as only a few years ago this man was being touted as the next big Asian director with his vengeance trilogy (Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance). Personally, I still think that Park is a phenomenal director, even if his two subsequent films (the aforementioned Thirst and, before that, I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK) were nowhere near as great as Oldboy and Lady Vengeance. But, Bong Joon-ho is the one Korean filmmaker that I would now look to to make waves around the world. Coming off of his 2006 eco-monster flick The Host, Bong Joon-ho followed it up this year with the even more impressive Mother. I have had the fortune to see both Thirst and Mother, and I would recommend that everyone venture out to see them when you get the chance. Currently, Thirst has a limited release in America in many Landmark Theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back