• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

King of the Mountain Gone?

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Unless I missed it, there was no mention of King of the Mountain at this year's Slammiversary. RVD vs. Sting is the main event and unless they do a #1 contenders thing, there isn't going to be one at the PPV. Obviously this could change next week, but as of now to the best of my knowledge there is no KOTM this year.

What do you think of this? It's certainly a unique match and one of TNA's signature deals, but are you glad it's gone? Do you want it back? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Note: I am NOT asking who would you want to see in it, but if you want to throw that in IN ADDITION TO answering what I posed here go right ahead.

Oh they'll have King of the Mountain. They just haven't booked it yet, KB. You can't just get rid of the SIGNATURE match of one of the Wrestlemania of TNA. It's like not having Money in the Bank at Wrestlemania these days or not having a Skywalkers match during the Starcades of the late 80's.

Then again, we're talking about TNA here and they may want to 'SHAKE THINGS UP A BIT'. And if they do that, they will more than likely alienate any TNA orignial fan that may be left. I say they'll still do King of the Mountain. And they should, because the match is unique to their brand and is an original way to settle title shots.

Yeah there is no way they won't do it so IMO it is coming. The X Division one last year was a highlight and even the Joe swerve in the main event was a nice surprise, no matter what it led to.

I'm disappointed in the RVD / Sting match but AJ is almost certainly going to be in KOTM (should it happen) and he will always make this match worth watching. At least the ranking system may mean a few new faces are in the match.

Yeh, i remember bringing this up in the RVD vs Sting thread yesterday..It was the exact same thing I was thinking..TBH if they are to have a no.1 conteners match, i would rather they have the KOTM for the tna world champion...it's just tradition...they even did it with the x division last year, if my memory serves me correct...It wouldn't be the same..it's quite an entertaining match although it can get confusing at times...but i wouldn't want it to go..

I've watched a couple of these online, and I have to say, I hope it is gone. It is ridiculously complex and hard to follow. That said, I doubt they get rid of it, they didn't get rid of the Ultimate X match, and that match is dumb as well. They'll probably do it with like the next 5 after Sting in the rankings as a chance to change up the rankings.

Anyway, like I said, I hope it's gone, I wouldn't want it back, and it's a good thing if it is gone...but I doubt it's gone. For me, it's just too over the top, too complex, something that TNA has too much of as it is.

I highly doubt that there won't be a King of the Mountain match. It is one of their signature matches and I would be very disappointed if they didn't have it. I think that there will probably be a number one contenders KOTM match, and if there is one it will definitely be a hell of a match. You'll more than likely have AJ Styles and Jeff Hardy in that match and that is more than enough to make it an exciting match.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hogan-Bischoff regime considered killing it.

No, rephrase that--I wouldn't be surprised if the Hogan-Bischoff regime had never heard of it. Why would KOTM be more important than the Knockouts, or the X-division?

I predict that there will be a KOTM match, as the day of the PPV approaches and the clowns in charge realize how many stars they have with nothing to do at the PPV and how few matches they have set up.

Assuming WC RVD vs Sting, Band vs, oh let's say Beer Money for the tag titles, a X-division title match of some kind, an Anderson-Jeff HArdy rematch, and a Knockouts title match.

That leaves AJ, Joe, Pope, Abyss, Jeff Jarrett, Desmond Wolfe and Matt Morgan off the top of my head. Angle should be back by then, plus they're always willing to throw Hogan and Flair in.

There will be a KOTM, put together with about as much thought as I put into this post. OK, Jarrett will probably make sure they put the right number of people in the match. But that's about it.

EDIT: By the way, for the record, it is a very, very stupid gimmick match, and it should die.

hey bro , they just book one match of a big ppv ..
they'll gonna have KOTM ..
i personally want to This year's KOTM just 4 X divison ..
a one on one match for main event is better .

slamiversary wouldn't be the same without it, but the way I see it....if the title isn't involved with with the match then there's no real point to the match, it's just a backwards money in the bank I mean the inly two differences being that one you hang something and two, whoever is pinned goes to a box

as a huge TNA fan for many years if this is true it will make me hate hoagan and bischoff a little more i love this match and would hate to see it end and as mentioned above slammivesary would not be the same without it

I don't really see it gone. Only one match has been announced. I can expect another match from Desmond/Abyss and O.J./Terry. That leaves AJ, Joe, Angle, Pope, Kaz, Jeff Hardy and Anderson doing nothing. You can easily have 5 of them fight for the #1 Contender spot and the rest split into other feuds. I wouldn't call the fat lady, this match has always provided good quality and if Lethal Lockdown survived, then so should King Of The Mountain.

I doubt it'll be left off the card this year. It's just too big a part of the Slammiversary ppv. It wouldn't necessarily hurt my feelings if it were left off the card, however. The match is basically one huge, overly booked clusterfuck year in and year out. There's so much to follow that I spend all my time trying to see who is doing what and to whom that I'm not able to just watch and enjoy the match.

I always through Bound For Glory was TNA's Wrestlemania...

Anyway, I agree that if theres no KOTM, Slammiversary will not be the same. I wouldn't mind seeing a Tag Team KOTM match though. That stuff would be amazing. Maybe they'll have KOTM at another PPV.

Yeah it's a dumb match, but it's TNA's dumb match. That's what this comes down to for me: King of the Mountain is an overbooked mess, but it's been a staple of TNA. RVD vs. Sting is fine, but you're taking away one of the truly original matches TNA has. Why would I want to spend my money on a regular main event headlined show when I could see a gimmick PPV in WWE? King of the Mountain sounds a lot better than Fatal Fourway, but Fatal Fourway sounds better than RVD vs. Sting. At least to me it does. KOTM is TNA's second signature match behind Ultimate X and it should stay, even for just a #1 contenders match.

I like KOTM. It's a cool idea to have a reverse ladder match where you hang the belt. I never found the rest of the rules to be hard to follow. If you find a pro wrestling match difficult to understand then you have bigger intellectual problems to worry about.

I'm disappointed that it won't be the main event this year. I hope they keep it for the X title or have a #1 contender KOTM match.

What is "complicated" to some wrestling fans always amazes me. Is it really that hard to remember a whopping two things have to happen to win opposed to the normal one? Pin/submit someone and then climb the ladder to hang the belt. Is it really that confusing that instead of taking something down they are hanging something? I do not know about your personal history with ladders but in my experience they are used for both hanging and taking stuff down everywhere in the world except most wrestling matches. Did none of you play king of the mountain as a kid? That is the whole fun of the game you get the object and fight your way to the top. But wait there is that penalty box, how can I possibly remember a third thing!? If you get pinned you have to go to the cage for 2 minutes. You lost me. I can never remember all three of these things. All I understand is power button make tv go on, bright colors make me happy, good guy punch bad guy , yay!

They will have at least one of these insanely complicated matches for either X-division, Global Championship or #1 contenders. If they kept all of lockdown in a cage it would seem really unlikely that they would get rid of KOTM match at slammiversary.

There better be a King of the Mountain match, or I say we riot and shove Bishoff up Hogna's ass! ..jk. Seriously though, KoTM is a trademarck in TNA, one which while it can be a confusing clusterfuck, is usually fairly entertaining. It's like WWE eliminating Survivor Series.... oh wait, bad example... A KoTM match could really elevate someone to the main event (thought the ranking process pretty much ruins that), so a #1 contenders KoTM wouldn't work. Perhaps an X Division exclusive one? I don't know.. TNA really fucked up if they dropped KoTM like that,

no king of the moutain i know people say its complex but not for me i liked it because wwe never has anything like it which is what make tna so cool

Well as a TNA fan since 05, I'd like to see it. BUT as someone that has been starting to hate,,sorry disapointed with it since Jan. I'm got gonna buy it unless it starts getting better.

I really hope TNA does have a KOTM match. I actually enjoy the KOTM matches, and this is one of TNA's signature matches, which alway take place at their signature ppv. So why would you want to get rid of it? I understand TNA is going in a new direction, but you just don't scrap one of your signature matches. I'm sure plenty TNA fans look forward to seeing this match each year, and not having at this year's Slammiversary would be a huge let down. I definitely want to see this match, and I hope TNA will at least keep it as a #1 contender's match. We're getting closer and closer to Slammiversary, and nothing has been announced yet, so that's not a good sing.

At this point, I'm thinking there isn't going to be one. What are we, under 2 weeks away here and no mention? There's no way they're having a proper KOTM match for the next #1 Contenders or something. Especially not with Anderson and Hardy recently put into a match. Maybe they could have a random X Division one, or something.

If they end up not having one, I think it'll be a really bad move. KOTM is one of TNA's gimmick that was crazy, but still worked. It was also something people could always get exited about. I'd care much more about a KOTM match than RVD/Sting, personally.

For me I could personally care less because the KOTM in my opinion was just a mess of a match to begin with. The same thing can be said about feast or fired. I wouldn't be shed a tear if that was scrapped too. I understand the KOTM is tradition and if it was scrapped it would be pretty awkward, especially to Jeff Jarrett since he is called the KOTM. Anyways, I'm sure a lot of people will be upset about it if it is scrapped.

It doesn't look like TNA will have it this late in the month before the PPV. They already have 8 matches on the card. TNA could always change their minds and add it at the last minute. I couldn't care less personally because the whole concept was asinine to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back