• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kevin Steen signs with WWE

If true, I'm happy for him and his family. Kevin has been one of the best things in wrestling for me for the past five years. Since the first time I saw him I appreciated his uniqueness and undoubtable talent. Here's a guy who can do pretty much everything. Whether it transitions to WWE as it comes across in ROH or PWG, time will tell, but I hope he can make a good go of it. He just comes across as a great guy who loves wrestling.

Going to miss this.

Awesome. Steen deserves the opportunity and has the skills to compete, plus WWE has a lot of guys he has worked with in ROH, PWG and the like. Really, really great guy who busts his ass. I'm looking forward to seeing him on WWE programming.

I've heard a lot of great things about him, so I'm excited to see what his WWE run will be like.

Meltzer said this during his morning podcast, verbatim taken from another forum.

"A website out there I don't care to mention by name has said that Kevin Steen has signed a contract with WWE. They reported this as an "exclusive" too, but the reality is they've falsified details because Kevin has not signed a deal with WWE, yet. He took a jab at them on his Twitter account almost immediately probably because so many people were linking him the story. I contacted someone in ROH today and asked them if Kevin had asked for his early release and they told me he hasn't. He's contracted to ROH until the end of this month and it's highly unlikely he'd ask for an early release with such little time left on his contract or with him having independent bookings until late July."

The tweets Meltzer is referencing are these...

https://twitter.com/FightSteenFight/status/476121546063638529

https://twitter.com/FightSteenFight/status/476122230808924161

WZ has once again proved to be full of bullshit. I've no doubt Kevin will sign with them in the coming months, but right now he hasn't, because he can't, because he's contracted by another company. All he can do is hold talks and come to terms verbally.

I think Meltzer should of added in one more word, "...reality is they've received falsified details...". This sounds more plausible than just plain making shit up

I think Meltzer should of added in one more word, "...reality is they've received falsified details...". This sounds more plausible than just plain making shit up

Read WZ's story, they don't even source it. Not to mention this is the website who said Alex Shelley signed with WWE when Shelley himself said all he did was meet a WWE employee he's friends with for a drink where they didn't even talk wrestling (supposed to have been Xavier Woods) and that AJ Styles had re-signed with TNA, four weeks before it was revealed Styles had actually left TNA and returned to ROH. If WZ has incorrectly sourced this story, then they need to get new sources or just stop trying to source news, because it always seems like any "exclusive" they run turns out to be false.

Ill give wz the benefit of doubt. Meltzer himself has said steen had tryouts at wwe and looked great

You just want the interaction with Sami Zayn

Sami will sadly be long gone by the time Steen gets there, particularly as Steen hasn't even signed.

What's more, I'm not the sort who gets goosebumps over repeats of indie programs just because - e.g. I liked Summer of Punk because it was awesome, not because it'd been done before; I liked Zayn/Cesaro because it was awesome, not because there'd been a Generico/Castagnoli.

Wasn't Metlzer the one that pretty guaranteed Punk was going to return at the Chicago RAW a few months ago, because a solid source high up within WWE told him this & it was picked up by every major wrestling news site, & then he didn't return, & then Meltzer was like "Well obviously my source fed me some bad information". Yeah I think Meltzer is about as reliable news source as any other dirt sheet at this point.

Wasn't Metlzer the one that pretty guaranteed Punk was going to return at the Chicago RAW a few months ago, because a solid source high up within WWE told him this & it was picked up by every major wrestling news site, & then he didn't return, & then Meltzer was like "Well obviously my source fed me some bad information". Yeah I think Meltzer is about as reliable news source as any other dirt sheet at this point.

You're actually wrong about that. While Meltzer does get stuff wrong (as do journalists in every single field going, you name one journalist who hasn't reported something that didn't wind up happening and I'll actually punish myself by watching TNA's PPV this weekend) the context people took the Punk story in was all wrong.

Meltzer reported that a source he had told him CM Punk was almost certain to return in Chicago. He never reported it himself, whenever he says he did something the fact is he usually does it, so all he does is relay the information he gets, whether it turns to be reality or not is another realm in journalism altogether. People who don't subscribe to the Observer read the wrestling newz sites versions as though Meltzer categorically said that Punk was returning and that no natural disaster imaginable could stop him. He never said that and after Punk didn't return he replayed what he said just to clarify that he never reported Punk was returning, he said somebody else was telling him it was believed Punk would return.

The amount of times hes been right about big things are as about on par with the amount of things hes been wrong with - or do people forget that everyone knew the nights Brock Lesnar and The Rock returned to WWE that Meltzer was the one who broke those reports well before they happened? Or how about Punk walking from the WWE? Or how about even as recently as this week him reporting hours before Raw began that Bryan would be stripped of the WWE title, which happened.

Plus, this isn't WWE he's contacting. It's ROH. It's not like ROH have much to hide or when/if he rang them they'd slam the phone down when he asks to clarify if one of their wrestlers asked for his release.

You're actually wrong about that. While Meltzer does get stuff wrong (as do journalists in every single field going, you name one journalist who hasn't reported something that didn't wind up happening and I'll actually punish myself by watching TNA's PPV this weekend) the context people took the Punk story in was all wrong.

Meltzer reported that a source he had told him CM Punk was almost certain to return in Chicago. He never reported it himself, whenever he says he did something the fact is he usually does it, so all he does is relay the information he gets, whether it turns to be reality or not is another realm in journalism altogether. People who don't subscribe to the Observer read the wrestling newz sites versions as though Meltzer categorically said that Punk was returning and that no natural disaster imaginable could stop him. He never said that and after Punk didn't return he replayed what he said just to clarify that he never reported Punk was returning, he said somebody else was telling him it was believed Punk would return.

The amount of times hes been right about big things are as about on par with the amount of things hes been wrong with - or do people forget that everyone knew the nights Brock Lesnar and The Rock returned to WWE that Meltzer was the one who broke those reports well before they happened? Or how about Punk walking from the WWE? Or how about even as recently as this week him reporting hours before Raw began that Bryan would be stripped of the WWE title, which happened.

Plus, this isn't WWE he's contacting. It's ROH. It's not like ROH have much to hide or when/if he rang them they'd slam the phone down when he asks to clarify if one of their wrestlers asked for his release.

And what's the difference between that and what WrestleZone does when they say "Sources have told us"? The correct answer; nothing.

When you guys praise ceasaro vs zayne are talking about the arrival match? I just want to make that clear

And what's the difference between that and what WrestleZone does when they say "Sources have told us"? The correct answer; nothing.

Meltzer sources a lot of news himself, is credible, well respected within the business, many wrestlers including the likes of Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Bret Hart and considering he was involved in the WWE NXT Takeover conference call, obviously someone within WWE value his role, while WZ posts "exclusives" which Meltzer then corrects because WZ is a tabloid wrestling newz site (most are) and Meltzer actually takes his job seriously, considering it's kind of how he makes a living.

So just to break this down for you as I did the Styles discussion the other day so you get it, WZ says THEY have an exclusive, Meltzer said SOMEBODY ELSE TOLD HIM BUT HE WASN'T REPORTING IT AS FACT. He REPEATED what SOMEBODY ELSE TOLD HIM, the brain boxes on the front page REPORTED FALSE DETAILS THEY SAY THEY SOURCED AS AN "EXCLUSIVE" FOR PAGE VIEWS SO THEY COULD BUMP THEIR ADVERTISING. Meltzer then corrected them.

See, I used caps so it was easy to follow along.

Admittedly I havent seen alot of Steen but his reputation certainly precedes himself around here. Seems like he could be a unique addition to the roster, hopefully with a proper build this guy could be a mainstay. I'm looking forward to him & Devitt, I could see both making serious impact on the mid card from the start. Lets hope they dont sit around developmental too long, they're already pretty established I just want em on Raw now!

Meltzer sources a lot of news himself, is credible, well respected within the business, many wrestlers including the likes of Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Bret Hart and considering he was involved in the WWE NXT Takeover conference call, obviously someone within WWE value his role, while WZ posts "exclusives" which Meltzer then corrects because WZ is a tabloid wrestling newz site (most are) and Meltzer actually takes his job seriously, considering it's kind of how he makes a living.

So just to break this down for you as I did the Styles discussion the other day so you get it, WZ says THEY have an exclusive, Meltzer said SOMEBODY ELSE TOLD HIM BUT HE WASN'T REPORTING IT AS FACT. He REPEATED what SOMEBODY ELSE TOLD HIM, the brain boxes on the front page REPORTED FALSE DETAILS THEY SAY THEY SOURCED AS AN "EXCLUSIVE" FOR PAGE VIEWS SO THEY COULD BUMP THEIR ADVERTISING. Meltzer then corrected them.

See, I used caps so it was easy to follow along.

And yet, for someone so respected he still gets shit wrong. Chris Cash has people within the industry that he does talk to as well. Justin Labar, if I'm not mistaken, helps run an indy company in the Northeast that books a lot of former top WWE talent who are still in the know with somethings in the WWE. Just because they get things wrong sometimes, doesn't make them any less or more credible. The only reason why Meltzer gets the props he does is because he's been doing it longer, or because he uses a bullshit opinion based 5 star system that everybody happens to push around as facts.

Use caps lock all you want, but in the end they just make you look stupid... and you do a good job of that yourself already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back