• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kevin Kelly's Recent Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin Kelly states the foreigners will never be household names...sorry but this is completely wrong, was he smoking some funny grass whilst writing it?

One example is The British Bulldog (Davey Boy Smith) he was a house hold name, not only in the UK but in the USA aswell...and as for any other sport...look at Lionel Messi who plays for barcelona, David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo...

The list goes on and on.

So my question to you all is

Do you think Kevin Kelly is right in what he is saying? if so Justify

Right, I'm sorry mate but you just proved yourself wrong. The only reason I know Ronaldo, for example, is because football is big in Britain, and I don't really follow it. Nate didn't know Ronaldo and that's probably because he's from North America, where football isn't as big as some sports like American football, baseball etc. Also, wrestling isn't as widely international as football, so while guys like Ronaldo are big in England, it's very different from asking how many people in Spain know who Wade Barrett is.

Almost everyone knows who Beckham is, I'll give you that one. You'd have to have lived under a rock for 10 years to not know him so fair enough. Lionel Messi I don't know at all. Never heard of him.

With regards to WWE, a much less popular field than all the aforementioned things in my post, this only applies to the very, very, VERY top guys, like Hogan/Austin/Rock/Cena-level. Possibly you could throw Orton, Taker or HBK in, but I don't know. And chances are to be honest, that very top once-a-generation spot is going to a home-grown American. Why wouldn't it? WWE's an American company (Rock's bizarre ethnicity doesn't count; he looks close enough to a WASP to me.)

That's not to say it won't happen; who knows what the future will bring? Now KK is right about some things and wrong about others; I'm very on the fence regarding most of his views. But insofar as history goes, he's right on this one. For the time being.

And the national pride thing is true of everyone, not just America. Even as disappointing as Mason Ryan and Rob Terry are, there's still a small, slightly disgusted part of me that MTFO when they win.

Personal example: My mum was surprised to learn of Edge's retirement. I was surprised to learn of my mum knowing who Edge was. She said, "Well my son's obsessed with wrestling, how can I not know who Edge is?" But the mums of my friends who aren't wrestleheads wouldn't have a clue about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back