• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ken Shamrock

jmt225

Global Moderator
So Ken's fighting days are pretty much over. He still might have one more drawing match against his brother Frank, where he will of coarse get destroyed if it happens, but after that is done, Ken Shamrock has nothing to do. Is there anyone else who would like to see him return to pro wrestling?

I remember really liking some of Shamrock's matches and feuds against Michaels, Owen Hart, Bret Hart, Pac, Vader, Rock, and a few others back in the day. He wasn't the best worker, but the guy's intensity and believably always made his matches and storylines interesting. He's no Kurt Angle, sure... but he was still fun to watch. Plus, in my opinion, WWE and TNA are really lacking star power at the moment. Shamrock is a big name and might cash in on some of the newer UFC fans who have been watching since their SpikeTV deal.

Moreover, there's just so much shit you could do with him. In TNA, there's no way in hell Shamrock vs. Angle wouldn't draw. It wouldn't bring TNA up to WWE's level or anything like that, but I still think it would still generate some good numbers. And then in WWE, they desperately need a heel that is believably dominant. I don't mean some chickenshit heel that will cheat his way to the belt and I don't mean another badass Austin wannabe or some fake ass monster; just someone that is so good in the ring that it's scary. They need a heel that has the demeanor of someone like Dean Malenko, but with also the presence of an Andre the Giant. You know, someone that doesn't talk trash and just goes out and decimates his opponents because he can. They could get Shamrock over as a heel simply by having him fail to relinquish submission holds right away and stuff like that. He can deliver some sort of post match assault every week, without having to resort to the cheap, cocky Orton type shit. Then, once he's in the ring with someone like Cena, it won't be a matter of whether or not Cena can beat him; it will be a matter of whether or not Cena can survive. And personally, if I were booking it, I'd have Shamrock absolutely destroy Cena in their first match. Then, I would have it where a week later, we see a video clip of Cena going to Tito Ortiz's school or Bret Hart's dungeon (both with the right amount of money, I’m sure would agree to it) and asking one of them to help him out, sort of like the same way Apollo Creed helped out Rocky Balboa after he got beat by Clubber Lang. And then for like a month, the only time we would see Cena are in training vignettes. And I say for the first two/three weeks, we see Cena totally struggling with the technical shit Ortiz or Hart is trying to teach him, just like we saw Rocky struggle with the athleticism Creed was trying to teach him. Then as time goes by, Shamrock is still killing babyfaces left and right, and Cena starts to pick up on the shit Ortiz or Hart is teaching him. Then Cena returns after a month or so and attacks Shamrock and boom... there's your Summerslam or Wrestlemania main event. That would be awesome shit, IMO.

Of coarse none of that would ever happen (the WWE suggesstion anyway), but it's just one idea out of so many you can have with a talent like Ken Shamrock in your company.

What do you all think? Would you like to see Shamrock in a WWE or TNA ring? And if so, how would you use him?

I think he would be better in TNA. And, like you said, an angle with him and Angle would be great. But, wouldn't it just add fuel to the fire with those folks who say that TNA and Russo are just rehashing old stuff from the WWE? There are other programs he could work, too (I'd like to see him tag with Steiner, that would be a great heel team). For some reason, I'd like to see him and Curry Man. Or, he could work with ALL of the old WWE guys, or guys, like Shark Boy, with old WWE gimmicks. Kind of a thumb in the eye from Russo to all of those detractors, and pretty funny IMO.

I cant see Hart working with the WWE in that capacity ever again. Maybe the odd snippet like the Vince McMahon memorial but nothing other than that, however i could be wrong.

As for Ortiz....it is a possiblity as he will be out of his contract after UFC 84. He has repeatedly said he feels he has a few years left so he may want to continue in mma. Also Ortiz and Shamrock do not like each other. It would be difficult to get them to work together. Look at the Ultimate Fighter 3. In saying that I think money talks with Ortiz so it wouldnt be hard to get him on board.

Personally id love to see Shamrock back in WWE in some capacity. He would be over with fans already as a face and could be over as a heel too. Plus the guy has some intensity, I agree with you there. Id love to see him come in and feud with some of the midcarders. Could be a great feud with Jericho and lets face it...WWE could do with some mid card talent.

No. Ken Shamrock is the most overated MMA "star of all time. Also, the man has slowed and as time progresses with the real beatings he has taken over the year he will not be the worker he once was. The idea of a big MMA star back in pro wrestling is a very good idea, but not Ken. Other believable options though would have to be either a Heavyweight or 205 lb. who is a former champion. Options include (in order of my opinion):
1 - Frank Mir - they have video of him actually breaking bones and the guy can throw a real punch and has some of the most lethal submissions in the world, just ask Brock Lesnar.
2 - Queintin Jackson - he is hillarious, can most likely play a heel, and will powerbomb people and knock them out, he could work as the muscle in a stable
3 - Tito Ortiz - I'm not a fan of his but i could clearly see him as a pro wrestler, he is cocky and brash but maybe too small to play the role of the heel

But to go back to original question I wouldnt bring him back

As much as I loved Ken Shamrock in WWE simply because of the intensity he brought to his time in wrestling, especially in WWE (Haven't seen his TNA work), I think it would be a mistake to bring him back. The fact is, he's not a big deal anymore. Back when he was one of the top dogs in UFC, he had a draw to his name, now no-one really knows who he is.

Add to that the landscape of wrestling has changed since his time in WWE, fans have moved on and the majority of new fans would have no idea about him, who he was, his feuds against the Rock and Vader (or even who Vader was). He wouldn't fit properly back into it.

Angle vs Shamrock would have worked years ago, when Angle was 'breaking ankles', and calling himself the most dangerous man in wrestling, when they could have had a feud over that. Now, it would be just a feud between two ageing athletes looking to out-do each other. To me, it wouldn't be as big a draw as it could have been, simply because Shamrock's not the man he was.

If anything, Shamrock should stick to training the future and pass on his name, rather than tarnish it by going back into a business he didn't enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back