• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just watched...

Pera

Fist Pumping Like Robbie
The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior.

Some of the stories in this were just amazing, they really were. But as someone who has never watched the WWE (always been a WCW/TNA fan), I now have a heap of respect for Vince McMahon. I'm not a forgiving person, so I don't have time to give people second and third chances, but for Vince to rehire him for the fans, after he put a gun to his head at Summerslam 91, was just awesome.

Call him stupid, call him crazy, he had no one but the fans in mind when he made the decision. Even though I don't like his product, due to never really having a connection to it, I respect Mr McMahon.

<Insert all Vince love here>

Not only that, the idea that Vince hired him "for the fans" is simply laughable. Vince hired him back because he thought it would make Vince money. That's it.

My favorite part was when Jerry Lawler rips into Warrior for wearing a hat during a promo. Because everyone knows that the reason Ultimate Warrior vs. Jerry Lawler didn't draw well in 1996 was because of A HAT.

I'm tempted to put the Extras disc in but afraid I might die of boredom.

This DVD sucked.

My favorite part was when Jerry Lawler rips into Warrior for wearing a hat during a promo. Because everyone knows that the reason Ultimate Warrior vs. Jerry Lawler didn't draw well in 1996 was because of A HAT.

I also lol'd when Hogan was supposedly angry at the confrontation with Warrior on Nitro. What did he want Warrior to do, come out and say how much he respected Hogan and not bring up their history? Like no one didn't even know in the first place?

The whole build should have been around Hogan never beating Warrior, yet he never even wanted it to be mentioned. Such an ego maniac that Hogan.

Wasn't sure if people picked up my sarcasm so had to edit the opening post a little.

I failed.

I also lol'd when Hogan was supposedly angry at the confrontation with Warrior on Nitro. What did he want Warrior to do, come out and say how much he respected Hogan and not bring up their history? Like no one didn't even know in the first place?

The whole build should have been around Hogan never beating Warrior, yet he never even wanted it to be mentioned. Such an ego maniac that Hogan.

Yeah I never got that. It was the same mentality that WCW had with the Outsiders: are we really supposed to pretend we've never seen these guys? They both worked for this company less than five years ago.

The reason why Vince put that DVD out was to make money and try to bury the Warrior. When Warrior did the shoot video on Hogan last year, Warrior said that he took McMahon to court for the DVD and slandering him. When the part of the DVD when Hogan and Slaughter said after Summerslam '91 (When Warrior supposedly held McMahon up), they were going to rough him up backstage and teach him a lesson. Warrior clammed, that in the court room after they watched that clip, Warrior's attorney asked Hogan, "Was that you saying those thing's?" Hogan answered, "I don't remember saying that." The shit was funny. I also loved when Lawler said about the Hat and it was the reason why it didn't worked.

Rumor was Warrior wanted no part of the DVD, and it turned into a bash fest against him. It was mostly comical, particularly in regards to Flair, Hogan, and Trips. But in a way I can understand Vince in his firings.

Hogan's right about that, it's a very basic concept when creating mega matches. You want to sell the idea both men are equal, that both men are great, and the only way to decide who is greater is by having a match...on PPV, with hundreds of thousands of people paying to watch.

When you come out and say, "I've already beaten you" AND you're the good guy (which Warrior was in his WCW promo), what incentive do fans have to pay for your next match? It's one thing if Hogan had won, and he was the bad guy saying it, but when it's the good guy saying it, what's the point? Either Warrior wins again (ho-hum) or the bad guy wins, and who wants to pay to see the bad guy win?

I defend Warrior quite a bit regarding that DVD, but Hogan is absolutely correct when he criticized Warrior saying that.

How would you then have booked Warrior when he confronted Hogan on Nitro? Sure, he went a little overboard with that promo (was far too long and he talked so much shit) but you can't just TOTALLY dismiss their history. Well, you can, but you'd need some good planning and build to go with it.

I dunno, I agree with you in a sense but Ali and Frazier II wasn't any less special despite the two having fought before. If people wanted to see Hogan/Warrior one more time, they would have paid regardless. And I'm sure most would have known about Warrior beating Hogan before.

There's no need to mention the match. HHH and Undertaker did a full build to Mania last year without it. However, blaming Warrior saying that they had already had a match for the way the match went and was received is a joke at best.

How would you then have booked Warrior when he confronted Hogan on Nitro?
They didn't book Warrior to say that. You watched the video, they clearly said Warrior went into business for himself in that promo.

There wasn't anything wrong with the booking, merely what Warrior ad-libbed.

but you can't just TOTALLY dismiss their history. Well, you can, but you'd need some good planning and build to go with it.
You don't dismiss their history, but you don't tell everyone that the good guy has already cleanly defeated the bad guy, when the bad guy was on the top of the world.

I dunno, I agree with you in a sense but Ali and Frazier II wasn't any less special despite the two having fought before.
Boxing and pro wrestling are nothing alike, and comparing them is simply a waste of time. Boxing is a legitimate sport (well, theoretically it is) and pro wrestling is scripted entertainment. Boxing is about competition, pro wrestling is about storytelling.

If people wanted to see Hogan/Warrior one more time, they would have paid regardless. And I'm sure most would have known about Warrior beating Hogan before.
Perhaps they would, but you don't shove it in their face the very first night of the debut. The idea is to build interest in the story of Hogan vs. Warrior, getting people to be intrigued on who was going to win. If you're told Warrior has already won, there's much less incentive to watch, for the same reason that if I spoil the ending to a highly anticipated movie, you're less likely to want to pay money to watch it in the theater.
There's no need to mention the match. HHH and Undertaker did a full build to Mania last year without it. However, blaming Warrior saying that they had already had a match for the way the match went and was received is a joke at best.

They didn't say that Warrior's promo is the reason the match was so bad. In fact, Hogan very clearly took the blame for that match upon himself, particularly for his idea of the flash powder, and Gene Okurlund said there's no way two men could ever have worse timing than those two did that night.

Yeah, Hogan looked like a total douche during his portion of the DVD.

Hogan's right about that, it's a very basic concept when creating mega matches. You want to sell the idea both men are equal, that both men are great, and the only way to decide who is greater is by having a match...on PPV, with hundreds of thousands of people paying to watch.

When you come out and say, "I've already beaten you" AND you're the good guy (which Warrior was in his WCW promo), what incentive do fans have to pay for your next match? It's one thing if Hogan had won, and he was the bad guy saying it, but when it's the good guy saying it, what's the point? Either Warrior wins again (ho-hum) or the bad guy wins, and who wants to pay to see the bad guy win?

I defend Warrior quite a bit regarding that DVD, but Hogan is absolutely correct when he criticized Warrior saying that.

I'm disagreeing with this.

On one side, you have the Champion Hogan, who the fans absolutely hate. The champ comes out and talks about how he's the best, no one can beat him, blah, blah, blah.

Queue up the guy that has beat him before for the belt. Warrior comes out, says he's done it before, and he'll do it again, and challenges him for the next big PPV.

The fans, who want to see Hogan lose the title, eat it up and get behind Warrior because they know he can beat the champ, because he's already done it.

That's just one way to do tell that story by acknowledging their past history. Of course, the only reason Warrior was even brought in was because Hogan wanted to get his win back over him, so that story was never meant to be told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back