Josh Mathews Spotted Outside of TNA Wrestling Headquarters in Nashville

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
The link is now broken, for some reason, but IMPACTWrestling.com has the following story up (or did) on their site:

Today, Josh Mathews was spotted outside of TNA Wrestling Headquarters in Nashville, TN. Matthews would later enter a closed door meeting with TNA executives. No details on what was said, however IMPACTWrestling.com will keep you current when additional details are available.

It's also available on TNAInsider.

Mathews was released from WWE back in June. No idea if he had a 90-day no-compete clause or not, but if so, he's well past the expiration date, so a path to TNA is clear.

I don't know nearly enough about him to have an opinion one way or another. I just remember the odd backstage interview or two with generic WWE guy in a suit, holding a mic. Maybe I'm wrong?

He got better though he's nothing exceptional. Matthews is a perfectly acceptable commentator and would be an upgrade over Taz and Tenay, assuming he actually calls the match instead of babbling on about whatever random, unrelated story that pops into his head. If nothing else he might be better at showing some emotion when something big happens.

He'd be a welcome change.

People have been tired of Taz and Tenay for a long time. And they had that third guy whose name I can't remember at this point but it would be nice to have someone else there. Someone who is passable at least.

That being said I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything.

Also on a side note he was funny at times on Are You Serious? with Road Dogg. They had good chemistry. I wish WWE had put them on commentary together.

I think Josh is great. I wanted him to win Tough Enough season 1 way back in 2001. Do I think he will really make any huge difference in TNA when they are already on life support? Not really. What I appreciate about him though is that while he may appear to be a generic guy in a suit like Tom Phillips or Rich Brennan, Josh is mark like the rest of us. He is a diehard fan with a very thorough knowledge of the business. I don't know that WWE ever gave him many opportunities to show it, but I think he could do Cole's job easily. In fact, when he and Cole were co-hosting NXT season 3 (the all diva session) I thought it was some of the funniest commentary I've ever heard in my life, definitely seek it out if you've never heard it. On a related note, I met him back when he very first started with the company and he couldn't have possibly been any nicer, so I really hope good things happen for him, he deserves an opportunity.

I'll be pleased for Josh if he ends up in TNA, I've always liked the guy. He was more than good enough at his job and would be a welcome change to TNA's commentary team. Tenay is fine by me, although I know alot of people are tired of him but Taz has been awful in TNA for a long time now (and this is coming from someone who enjoyed his commentary in WWE). I'd either want Josh to replace Taz or be the 3rd member of an announce team- preferably be Taz's replacement and allow Taz to work as a manager for someone.

Mathews has alot of wrestling knowledge, he loves the business and deserves an opportunity in TNA, I know he does well if he indeed signs with the company.

If TNA wants to start fresh, dump Tenay. He was good as the Mean Gene role in WCW, but there is something about him I don't like as a full-time announcer. And really, I don't know what it is. Just something about him doesn't appeal to me. Especially when something big happens in the ring.

They should bring in Matthews and Stryker. Both are above average announcers and Stryker has the wrestling knowledge to be the "wrestling" commentator of the duo.

Although, I'd miss Tenay's "someone is confronting me" face.

AngryTenay.jpg

I'm a fan of Josh Matthews. As far as WWE's play-by-play commentators went, he was better then Cole when he was on Smackdown, he and JBL made a very good team on the "B" show. I don't know why or how WWE didn't view him as the future, I find Todd Phillips unbearable as a commentator. Josh had positives, such as the fact he is a trained wrestler, he can talk about his experiences in the ring, he gives an in-ring perspective of things. They rarely let him do it but his match calling was always too wrestling orientated which is why I imagine WWE pulled him from the broadcasts.

I was hoping ROH would get him but on second thought, they don't need him. Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino and Nigel McGuinness already bring a full team to the announce table - they also have a young backstage interviewer too so Josh wouldn't fit in anywhere. If he signs for TNA it's probably the best non-wrestling signing they'll have made in fucking years. Drop Tenay, he's easily the worst play-by-play I know in wrestling anywhere, mainstream or indies. He makes Excalibur sound like Shakespeare.

I'm a fan of Josh Matthews. As far as WWE's play-by-play commentators went, he was better then Cole when he was on Smackdown, he and JBL made a very good team on the "B" show. I don't know why or how WWE didn't view him as the future, I find Todd Phillips unbearable as a commentator. Josh had positives, such as the fact he is a trained wrestler, he can talk about his experiences in the ring, he gives an in-ring perspective of things. They rarely let him do it but his match calling was always too wrestling orientated which is why I imagine WWE pulled him from the broadcasts.

I was hoping ROH would get him but on second thought, they don't need him. Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino and Nigel McGuinness already bring a full team to the announce table - they also have a young backstage interviewer too so Josh wouldn't fit in anywhere. If he signs for TNA it's probably the best non-wrestling signing they'll have made in fucking years. Drop Tenay, he's easily the worst play-by-play I know in wrestling anywhere, mainstream or indies. He makes Excalibur sound like Shakespeare.

Tenay is the "voice" of TNA, whether you, or anyone else likes it or not. I'm not so sure they can just outright drop him without it coming through his own personal decision to want to step down unless it's a guy like Borash stepping in to become the new "voice" of TNA, having already spent nearly his entire career there, to the point of familiarity and acceptance of the fan base.

One of the biggest gripes you'll read about (mostly online) is TNA's reliance on WWE footprints to continue their own path, so why would they go down that road yet again with a guy who is going to be perceived as a retread?

There are two reasons.

The general wrestling audience that I know or read from are sick of Tenay and usually comment that he brings the product down. And he does. It's always the same recycled garbage. It doesn't help that him and Taz make an awful commentating team together. They're so bad they have their own segment on Botchamania, that's bad!

While Josh is a WWE guy we'll say, he's young and people want youth in the business. He also never got a full on shot to take the play-by-play reigns in WWE. Lets use Ethan Carter for example, he's one dude I liked before he joined TNA and that I will admit from what little I saw of him before I stopped watching, he was easily the best and most entertaining thing there. He immediately got over for two reasons, one is he's young and people like young guys. Two, he's not viewed as a WWE guy because he never got a fair whack in WWE. Exactly like Josh.

I get what you're saying, they won't drop Tenay, hes been there since the start, but then again that's the issue so many people point out, TNA put people over business and no matter what business your in loyalty can only go so far, especially when the guy you should consider dropping generally receives negative feedback from fans and is viewed as outdated. I love Jim Ross, but guess what? In JR's last WWE stint you could see he was officially past his date of top tier commentating. They replaced him with a younger guy, and while not better, he fits WWE's current day product better then JR would. TNA want to be the exciting, fresh alternative to WWE? While they've far gone past the point of doing that quickly a good start would be out with the old and in with the new.

AJ Styles was the face of TNA, if you can let the middleaged, in his prime, doing the best work of his career face go, you can let the old, outdated, often criticized play-by-play go for a younger, fresher replacement.

Seems like a money play by TNA management. Reminds me of the Louie episode where CBS brings him in with the sole intention of making Letterman think he can be replaced and settles for less money.

Tenay is Letterman, Matthews is Louie. Except Tenay sucks and I have no knowledge beyond my suspicion.

If it falls through and Tenay doesn't budge, Matthews is no more an upgrade or downgrade. Neither guy brings much to the table.

From the main page:

Former WWE announcer Josh Mathews has been rumored to be working for TNA Wrestling or to be in talks with them for a potential position.

Mathews looks to have confirmed he is in fact working with the company, by posting and retweeting several comments about the company. Mathews tweeted about the Gold Rush tournament advertised for Impact Wrestling on Spike, as well as other subtle hints:

@realjoshmathews: “@33jhenry: @realjoshmathews what's the weather like in Tennessee” gorgeous. With the chance of only getting better. #NYCGoldRush tomorrow.

Looks like they've brought him on board. No word yet on his actual role, of course.

Borash taking over for Tenay would make more sense & would be a better fit than Mathews, Mathews could than take over in Borash's old on screen roll, & Tenay could fuck off.

There seems to be a real lack of depth when it comes to good commentators for a while now, sure the likes of JR are few and far between, but Tenay & Tazz are going through the motions, Kennelly wasn't that bad but he wasn't going to get much in with the two mentioned.

Whoa! Why does everyone think he is going on commentary.
I prefer JBL or Don West but whatever.

Since Josh is big fan I thought they might make him the new face of the Insane Deals. First it was Don West then Jimmy Jay, and now him.

Whoa! Why does everyone think he is going on commentary.
I prefer JBL or Don West but whatever.

Since Josh is big fan I thought they might make him the new face of the Insane Deals. First it was Don West then Jimmy Jay, and now him.

Because there have been reports and rumors that indicate TNA may bring him in to do commentary once a new television deal is secured, heading into 2015.

When you couple this with the repot that Mike Tenay's contract is said to be expiring this year as well, it's reasonable conjecture to think the plan may be to transition from Tenay to Matthews for the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back