Jon Gruden Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
As of today, it's being reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have officially cut ties with Head Coach Jon Gruden & General Manager Bruce Allen.

After a disasterous season in which they seemed positioned at one part of the season to not only make the Playoffs but win the division, they simply fell apart at the end of the season, roughly around the same time Monty Kiffin announced he was leaving to go coach w/ his son, in the college ranks.

Tampa Bay ultimately had their final game of the season, at home against the Oakland Raiders. Win and they're in, Lose and they're a complete disaster. As you can tell, the latter ended up happening.

While it may come to a shock to some, personally I don't find this shocking at all. Tampa Bay hasn't had a truly good season since 2002, when Gruden first came to Tampa and won them a Superbowl.

Since then, they've been to two Playoff appearances, in 2005 & again in 2007, losing both times in the Wildcard.

The struggling seasons between them have been various end-results of 7-9, 4-12, 5-11 & 9-7. Ultimately, Gruden didn't help the Bucs as much as he's seemingly hurt them.

I think Jon Gruden would do great as a Defensive Coord. but as a Head Coach, his time has come to an end, in my opinion.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this situation? Where does this leave Tampa Bay?

This is a classic case of what have you done for me lately. Gruden won a title 5 years ago and since then he's done little more. In the NFL all that matters is winning a single game: the Super Bowl. Making the playoffs or having winning seasons just isn't enough anymore. Gruden had competitive teams and had a decent year this year. Will's right that his time as a head coach has come to an end thoguh, at least for the most part. He might get a look in Oakland again, but I can't imagine he'd go back there. He had some success and has the ring to prove it, but since then he's done very little that almost any other coach couldn't do. Good football mind, but not a master as he's built up as.

I truly believe that he could sign on as a Defensive Coord. with any other N.F.C. South team, and definately lead them or rather help lead them to a strong Playoff run next year. I would definately be willing to believe he'd help any team he signs with, to a strong victory over Tampa Bay next year.

But in the end, South teams neglected, I think almost every team is going to run over Tampa Bay next year. A Head Coaching change, and losing one of the best Defensive coord. in N.F.L. history.. oh yeah, glad I'm not a Tampa Bay fan right now. (albeit, being a Carolina fan isn't having any better luck it seems :()

As for the Oakland theory, I highly doubt it. Thus far, every Coach who's went through there has only ever wanted to go back.. just to beat the shit outta them. Gruden wouldn't likely return, especially when Al Davis is still always constantly going to be the true "Coach" of that team until he dies anyways.

I could, however, see Gruden end up in St. Louis, Detroit, or even New York (Jets) if he wants to return to the A.F.C. side.

Well, that didn't take long at all.

Raheem Morris seems to be the pinnacle in right place, right time individuals. Within roughly 4 monthes, if even, he's taken over the reigns of the Defensive Coord. position, replacing Monte Kiffin.. and now taken the reigns of the entire team, as the new Head Coach.

I have to question if this is truly what Tampa Bay wanted to do, or if it's trying to follow through with an attempt to get more Black Head Coaches into roles. I mean, with all the available, premium options.. why turn to a guy that less than half a year ago was nothing more than a line's coach?

They either have tremendous respect and belief in his work ethic and whatever he said during the interview.. they possibly went with him because he knew the system.. or as I stated, they just wanted some headlight exposure because he's Black and that's the current "in-thing" right now.

Not that I disagree, by any means.. I just feel if I were Tampa, I'd of checked out all my available options before instantly pulling the trigger on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back