What's with the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truk24

Getting Noticed By Management
One week Tom Brady's knee won't be ready for the start of next season. Then, it's he'll be ready week one for next season. One week the team wants to franchise Cassel, and then it's we want to keep him. Here is my take.

Even if the Pats don't franchise tag Cassel, which they still might not. He won't be there next year. He will be one of the hottest free agents in the NFL. Brady will be fine, and Cassel will hit the free agency. The highest bidder wins. I don't see teams looking to trade off their first round pick for an uproven QB, which he is. Either way he will make a ton of money next season.

Should he hit the free agency market I think it is a sure shot that he will go where the money is, and not so much the offensive scheme. With that being said I think the Pats may need to franchise tag him just based on the level of neccessity that he is to a ton of teams right now. I can see two teams whom could be interested in Cassel franchise tag.

First, the Chiefs. I say this mainly due to the fact that the GM is the old GM of the Pats. I'm not sure how much that may all mean, but I'm just going out on a limb that Pioli may have a slight edge over other teams just due to this fact. Anyhow, the Chiefs are interesting because they are probably going to trade off Larry Johnson to a team in need. With that being said that would more than likely leave them with two first round picks again as they had last year.

Next, would have to be Tampa. I'm not sure Tampa can wait for a franchise QB with their pick this year. It is possible that they could pull off a Raven's move, and end up with a Joe Flacco type player. I highly doubt lightning will strike twice. That is why I say they will go after the next best things, a young QB that wasn't drafted who can win games. Cassel isn't over the hill, and he can win games.

Tampa is also looking to have the most cap space of all teams in the NFL roughly 50 million. They can afford Cassel, and give up a first round pick if they have to land him. With that kind of money the Bucs won't need to look via the draft to build their team. You can expect players like Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, John Vilma, or even Marion Barber to possibly play their next year. All that cap space explains why Gruden & company isn't their next year.

Bill Belichek is behind this all. He hates the media knowing the truth. If i had to bet my money on this i say Brady will be ready to go for the season, Cassell will get traded and the Pats will benefit big time from it, and the Pats will win the Super Bowl next year and it will be an all out love fest for Tom Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back