Johnny Cash - Classic or Crappy?

Johnny Cash - Classic or Crappy?

• Classic!

• Crappy!

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
The Man in Black himself, Johnny Cash. We all got a peek into his life with the recent and critically acclaimed film "Walk the Line," but musically the question must be asked - is Johnny Cash a major player in great classic rock? Or is he complete and utter crap?

Johnny Cash is the man. He completely revolutionised country music with the outlaw era, all the while breaking into the mainstream of rock music. Ive been listening to him as far back as I can remember. His tunes never get old, and when he sings you feel what he is saying. Johnny Cash is an icon, and rightfully so. I will go as far as to say that Johnny Cash is to country music as Elvis is to rock.

Johnny Cash is not just a classic, a legend, or an icon. He is Immortal.

He's the fucking man in my book. But you don't have to take my word for it. Just look at the recognition he has received from his peers or all the thousands of artists that he has influenced or inspired, and they are not just in music either. IMO he also was one of the founding fathers of the punk attitude, rebel spirit, and outlaw(see real) country. It's just not American to not like Johnny Cash!

My name is Samuel, Samuel.
My name is Samuel, Samuel.
My name is Samuel, an' I'll see you all in hell.
An' I'll see you all in hell,
Damn your eyes.

As an actual musician, songwriter, and guitarist, it's really hard to not see Cash as an inspiration. In fact, recent viewings of "Walk The Line" finally have me deciding to take my songwriting to a different level. The way he writes songs and the meanings behind them has inspired me to have each song I write come from the heart. Some of these crappy bands who think they're playing good, wholesome music need to really listen to Cash and find out the true meaning of songwriting.

I think every aspiring musician needs to look at Cash's career as a sign of hope. If he could go from nothing to anything, we need to think we can too. Also, if you look at how he plays the guitar, all he's playing are chords. Sure, his guitar licks got a bit more intricate as his career went on, but it shows that your song doesn't need an impressive riff or face-melting solo. If you can tell a story with the song, then who cares what the hell your playing?

...I'm sorry IC25, but what in God's name is the point of this thread? This is like asking if Bob Dylan or the Beatles were talented musicians. OF-FUCKING-COURSE!

Johnny Cash is one of the all time greatest songwriters of the 20th century, hands down. He laid down the foundation for popular country music, and his records not only still stand the test of time, but are still better then 99% of all modern music.

I'm disappointed in this thread IC25. Johnny Cash will be seeing you in Hell.

Classic without question. Just look at some of the songs he has performed. From most notable ones such as "I Walk the Line", "Folsom Prison Blues", and "Ring of Fire". To some of his more sillier songs like "A Boy Named Sue" and "One Piece At a Time". Good cover of "Hurt" (almost brought me to tears). And don't even tell me you don't like "I've Been Everywhere".

I'm disappointed in this thread IC25. Johnny Cash will be seeing you in Hell.

xfearbefore, how dare you say Johnny Cash be in Hell, for shame. You should be disappointed in yourself.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back