• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena needs to focus on the WWE title, not the WHC title.

I own a set of balls

Occasional Pre-Show
Here we have John Cena, presumbly the current face of the company, holding the World Heavy Weight Championship. Now despite what many says, this does NOT makes sense.

Even though Cena's already an established main eventer, and the WHC title has the same rank as the WWE title, HOWEVER, it's still second rate compared to the WWE title.

Having John Cena holding the second rate world-title-figure-head-championship and not holding the world title whose appearances has not changed ever since John Cena laid the designs on it just doesn't make sense.

Plus, the WWE title symbolizes the industry WWE, I think having the company's face holding the symbol of the company gives much more impression than having him hold a title that only had 7 years of debut.

How is it second rate? Guys like Undertaker, Batista, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Edge, and Kurt Angle have held the belt. Also, the World Heavyweight Championship was defended in the final match of Wrestlemania on 3 ocassions (20, 21, 24), as well as the main event of the last 3 Survivor Series, as well as the Survivor Series in 2003, not to mention it had been defended/competed for in numerous memorable matches. How does that not make any sense?

And what does holding a title that is 7 years old have anything to do with giving less of an impression than holding the WWE Title? The fact that main eventers has competed for that belt (and depending on what brand Jim Ross is he'd consider it the "most coveted prize in the WWE") makes it as meaningful as the original world title of the WWE.

The World Heavyweight Championship, if you haven't noticed, also has a WWE logo on it, and it has been there since 2003. The look of that particular World Title itself is symbolic amongst all of the wrestling industry.

The WHC is symbolic of the wrestling industry, but it will never be viewed as being bigger than the WWE championship. The WHC reminds you of Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Goldberg, Hogan (WCW), etc. The WWE championship represents the WWE. Hogan and Steve Austin will always be rembered as legendary WWE champs.WWE is trying to make Cena a legend. Think about it, he's been WWE champ, US Champ, tag team champ, and now WHC. He will beWWE champ again somewhere down the line, but for now the WHC is going to be another trophy for him.

How is it second rate? Guys like Undertaker, Batista, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Edge, and Kurt Angle have held the belt. Also, the World Heavyweight Championship was defended in the final match of Wrestlemania on 3 ocassions (20, 21, 24), as well as the main event of the last 3 Survivor Series, as well as the Survivor Series in 2003, not to mention it had been defended/competed for in numerous memorable matches. How does that not make any sense?

And what does holding a title that is 7 years old have anything to do with giving less of an impression than holding the WWE Title? The fact that main eventers has competed for that belt (and depending on what brand Jim Ross is he'd consider it the "most coveted prize in the WWE") makes it as meaningful as the original world title of the WWE.

The World Heavyweight Championship, if you haven't noticed, also has a WWE logo on it, and it has been there since 2003. The look of that particular World Title itself is symbolic amongst all of the wrestling industry.

It's funny how in your opinion, that the whc isn't a second rate title, at pay per views, always falls short of the main event match spot. Only in special occasions, is it defended and treated as a World title.

The WHC had 7 years, the WWE title had more than 50 years I believe, and most of the important guys in the WWE has held it.

Secondly, the WWE logo on it is so small compared to the rest of the design that it almost seems insignificant.

Now the world heavy weight championship is good looking, and would make a good world title, however this is the WWE we're talking about, it's not the ONLY promotion in the world, therefore having this title is nearly useless.

Over the past few years, the WWE title became more of an important title and is often defended against highlight wrestlers.

Why else would all the customizations on belts made to the WWE title and not the WHC title?

It's just the fact that WWE wants to emphasize their existence and one of the reasons the WWE title has that big hideous looking "W" on it as well as maintaining the look for now is because WWE wants to promote themselves with that title. And having the face of the company not holding that title simply does not make sense.

The one thing I've never understood: why is the WHC not worth more than the WWE title? "World Heavyweight Champion" means you are the best in the heavyweight in the world. "WWE Champion" means that you are the best in the WWE. To me, the World Heavyweight Title means more, but whatever. Back to Cena.

Honestly, I never thought of it like that, but you may be right. He should hold the belt that symbolizes WWE. He should wear the belt that he changed! The awesome WWE Title that he made into a douchey spinner belt. Although I'd rather he not have a belt at all (which would prove that Vince isn't a total punk bitch), if he must, you're right. He should have the WWE Title.

It's funny how in your opinion, that the whc isn't a second rate title, at pay per views, always falls short of the main event match spot. Only in special occasions, is it defended and treated as a World title.

The WHC had 7 years, the WWE title had more than 50 years I believe, and most of the important guys in the WWE has held it.

Secondly, the WWE logo on it is so small compared to the rest of the design that it almost seems insignificant.

Now the world heavy weight championship is good looking, and would make a good world title, however this is the WWE we're talking about, it's not the ONLY promotion in the world, therefore having this title is nearly useless.

Over the past few years, the WWE title became more of an important title and is often defended against highlight wrestlers.

Why else would all the customizations on belts made to the WWE title and not the WHC title?

It's just the fact that WWE wants to emphasize their existence and one of the reasons the WWE title has that big hideous looking "W" on it as well as maintaining the look for now is because WWE wants to promote themselves with that title. And having the face of the company not holding that title simply does not make sense.

Where did i mention that WWE is the ONLY promotion out there? And what does customizations on belts have anything with prestige? Oh so the World Heavyweight Title is 2nd rate because it wasn't modified whenever Cena holds it?

The WWE Title has been around since 1963.

Most of the guys that has held the World Heavyweight Championship are important guys too.

Age of the title doesn't make it second rate.

Having this title around isn't useless... there's too many guys in the roster, which is why they had the brand split in the first place. Since there are 3 sets of rosters, it only makes sense for each brand to have their own world titles (WWE, World Heavyweight, and ECW Titles). Otherwise, a lot of the guys who worked so hard to get to the WWE would not have had an opportunity to become main event talents.

Undertaker, Edge, Batista, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Booker T, Goldberg... don't tell me those aren't highlight wrestlers.

Where did i mention that WWE is the ONLY promotion out there? And what does customizations on belts have anything with prestige? Oh so the World Heavyweight Title is 2nd rate because it wasn't modified whenever Cena holds it?

The WWE Title has been around since 1963.

Most of the guys that has held the World Heavyweight Championship are important guys too.

Age of the title doesn't make it second rate.

Having this title around isn't useless... there's too many guys in the roster, which is why they had the brand split in the first place. Since there are 3 sets of rosters, it only makes sense for each brand to have their own world titles (WWE, World Heavyweight, and ECW Titles). Otherwise, a lot of the guys who worked so hard to get to the WWE would not have had an opportunity to become main event talents.

Undertaker, Edge, Batista, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Booker T, Goldberg... don't tell me those aren't highlight wrestlers.

Having modifications DOES give a little prestige to the belt. So you're implying that here we have two titles, one title is modified many times and treated like god by highlight wrestlers while the other championship has been held by mid-carders (mysterio, recently Punk) doesn't signal a difference in them?

It does, quite frankly, you know you would want the WWE title if you're in the WWE in the first place.

And how does the "age" of the title not affect its status? That's like saying chavo guerrero left the same legacy as Hulk Hogan. Because the WWE title has been around for quite long, it leaves a history, as for the WHC, it doesn't. The world heavy weight championship might SOUND important, however it's not being focused because the WWE isn't the only promotion in the world, therefore, focusing on their brand of the world title that has the huge "WWE" logo in front of it makes sense.

And the last batch of guys you mentioned as people who held the whc title, those ARE highlight main eventers. But please don't tell me that "Undertaker, Edge, Batista, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Booker T, Goldberg" surpasses all of the important guys who held the WWE title as well as how those guys USED the WWE title when it was on their shoulders.

This thread is ridiculous ... while TECHNICALLY the World Heavyweight Championship is "only seven years old" everyone KNOWS that it is the for WCW world title as well and carries the history of that with it.
Both titles are fairly equal considering they go back and forth in who is main eventing PPVs. I see no difference in the belt right now.
You talk about "mid-carders" like Rey Rey and Punk holding the belt, but fail to mention the "mid-carders" like Sgt. Slaughter, RVD, Kane, Eddie Guerrero, JBL and Jeff Hardy who have held the WWE title. All of these guys are also only ONE time world champs like those mentioned by you for the WWE title. Fact is ... all titles have a handful of "great champs" and a handful of "mid-card" champs.
Both are fairly equal titles and as of the last few years ... the WHC has been the main event of WrestleMania 20, 21 and 24 ... not exactly treating it as a mid-carder are they?

Having modifications DOES give a little prestige to the belt. So you're implying that here we have two titles, one title is modified many times and treated like god by highlight wrestlers while the other championship has been held by mid-carders (mysterio, recently Punk) doesn't signal a difference in them?

It does, quite frankly, you know you would want the WWE title if you're in the WWE in the first place.

And how does the "age" of the title not affect its status? That's like saying chavo guerrero left the same legacy as Hulk Hogan. Because the WWE title has been around for quite long, it leaves a history, as for the WHC, it doesn't. The world heavy weight championship might SOUND important, however it's not being focused because the WWE isn't the only promotion in the world, therefore, focusing on their brand of the world title that has the huge "WWE" logo in front of it makes sense.

And the last batch of guys you mentioned as people who held the whc title, those ARE highlight main eventers. But please don't tell me that "Undertaker, Edge, Batista, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Booker T, Goldberg" surpasses all of the important guys who held the WWE title as well as how those guys USED the WWE title when it was on their shoulders.

You can treat the title like a god without modifying it... look at Triple H and Edge. So what was the difference?

Jeff Hardy, Big Show, JBL, RVD,... they're all upper midcarders when they first won the WWE Title. Did I mention that Bret Hart was an upper midcarder when he won his first WWE title? He didn't establish himself as a main eventer until like, what? 1994... 2 years after his first reign, and one full year after he lost it.

Big Show was a mid-carder during both of his reigns as WWE Champion. If you remember, Big Show was jobbing to everyone back and forth during in 2002, before he got traded to Smackdown and defeated Lesnar for the title.

Heck, Vince McMahon even held the WWE Title...

And how does the "age" of the title not affect its status? That's like saying chavo guerrero left the same legacy as Hulk Hogan. .

That's the funniest response you gave me. Age has (very) little to do with it so that is a dumb comparison. Prestige has a lot more to do with who holds the title and how it is defended, and the quality of the matches it was on. The WWE Title has had more "bad champions" than the World Heavyweight Title. See Bret Hart/Kane/Mick Foley's one day reigns, Chris Jericho's undisputed title run, Jeff Hardy, JBL, RVD, Vince, and all of Big Show's WWE Title reigns.

You're comparing age again... that's like having a 7 year old compete with a 46 year old in a game where the 46 year old would always win because he's been around longer.

When it comes to prestige, you weigh it on who held the belt, how it's defended, and the quality of the matches, not on how long the belt's been around. I mean, look at the NWA Heavyweight Title... it's been around since 1949... since the WWE has been the forerunner of the industry, and the WWE Title was commissioned in 1963... you're telling me people would rather compete in circuits they're probably not gonna get noticed in the eye of the public for and hold the NWA Title, a title that's been around way before the WWE, TNA, WCW, and AWA's world titles, than go to the WWE or TNA and hold any of the the WWE's 3 world titles, or TNA's World Title, where more people would actually see and know who you are?

You must be kidding me.

throw my opinion in here I guess, with the thread subject I do aggree cena needs to focus on the wwe title, his character did debut the new design it would only make sence his character felt that was his possesion or the only important title, much like HHH when he was given the world title.

On the status on the World Heavyweight title yes it is a younger incarnation but if you go to

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wcwchampionship/

they admit even though the world title got its start in 2002 it is an incarnation of the wcw title, and is of the nwa/wcw title lineage

So to the wrestling news scene, wrestling magazines/sites the world/wwe are equil, in the wwes view wwe is greater then world just cause it has wwe in it, but im sure to alot of longer time wrestling fans the world title is greater.

I think this is why the WWE should unify the belts. One all powerful championship that everyone should strive for and the only reason they want to be in the business. Make it important again. Remember when Stone Cold sold his soul and became friends with his greatest enemy just to get the championship. Right now, IMO, the two championships mean the same. You're a wrestling champion on the show that you're on. Actually, to me, the WWE title means less to me since it's that stupid looking spinner belt that doesn't even spin anymore. Plus, Cena sucks and any title he owns becomes a lesser title.

Cena shouldn't go after a major title for a while. He has been champion again and again and again and again since he became champ at WM21. I say lay him off the title for a while.

He will definately fued with the Big show for abit now and they should just keep giving him angles until atleast next year.

Orton is in there again and he deserves it. Edge is a good, hated superstar and WWE needs champions like him in there too.

Hope WWE gives some young kids a go. Would love to see Shelton Benjamin in the WWE/Heavyweight title picture.

The reason the World Heavyweight title seems second rate (and I said this before) is because there is no way to tell it apart from the WWE title (aside from the look.) We know the WWE title is the number one belt in the company so the World title automatically becomes number 2, not to mention it's so generic. What sets it apart from the WWE title apart from the look? I mean, it's called a HEAVYWEIGHT belt, yet guys like Mysterio, Punk, Jericho and Michaels have held it but are not heavyweights. I'm not saying they should have never won it, I'm saying they should have won the WWE title instead, which I believe has no weight limits. If the Heavyweight title was designed for only heavyweights to compete for and the announcers put that over then it would seem more important. The WWE title would still be just as symbollic because as Jr. said this past Friday night, it's the McMahon seal; the first original belt of the company and there is so much history behind it. The World Heavyweight Championship could be for purely heavyweights (HHH, Undertaker, Big Show, Kozlov, Cena, MVP, Khali) and the WWE title for anyone that is over (Edge, Orton, Jericho, Punk, Mysterio, Christian, Hardys, Morrison) and the other guys from the heavyweight division who choose to go for the WWE title. Know what I mean? Only a seclect group of contenders competing for it (anyone at least over 250 lbs. let's say) can vie for it.

WWE Title and WHC are at the same level. The OP is overanalyzing things way too much. Some shows, the WWE Title goes on last...others...the WHC. They are booked to be of equal prestige, and that is evident by both being considered "World Title reigns" whenever someone wins one or the other.

The only reason Cena should focus on the WWE Title over the WHC is because he looks pretty ridiculous with the WHC around his waist, wearing jean shorts and some huge T-Shirt. All of Cena's titles should spin.

Depends on what kind of fan you are. And none of these types are better or worse than the others.

Fans/followers of the INDUSTRY will see WWE title as more significant due to the lineage et.al.

Fans/followers of the PRODUCT (run of the mill fans) will see WHC and WWE as equal, basically 'brand titles'.

Fans of WRESTLERS will think the belt that's on their guy is better and the one on the guy they hate is worse.

Vince has caught on that 90% of fans see the belts as equal, that's why he was screaming in JR's ear to put over the WWE title as 'THE' belt.

I kind of agree with the guy who posted this. Also one reason I think that John should go 4 the WWE is it is his title. His design, his attitude, and his personality. It is a gold pinner plate not some boring blank title.:suckit:

The World Title with the most prestige, plain and simple, is whatever Belt is currently being defended on RAW... Over the last couple years, a case can be made that the WHC is on the same level as the WWE Title.Over the last few years, challengers to the WHC include Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Kane, Rey Mysterio, The Undertaker, Batista, Big Show, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, and JBL, whereas the WWE Title has been defended against the likes of Randy Orton, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Jeff Hardy, The Undertaker, Big Show, Kozlov...

Even with Triple H as the WWE Champion, he seemed as the "2nd World Champion" compared to John Cena, the World Heavyweight Champion. The most prestigious World Champion is whoever the World Champion is on RAW, that being Randy Orton... So if John Cena's the "face" of the company, he simply needs to stay on Raw to challenge the Raw Champion.. That's why all the arguments about Cena goin to Smackdown were insane.. Smackdown will NEVER be considered the A show no matter what network they're on or what Superstars they possess.. The closest they came was when Triple H was drafted to Smackdown last year and with Triple H, Jeff Hardy, The Undertaker, and Edge, and JIM ROSS on commentary, they were still looked at as the B show to Raw. It's simple.. It may not be right, but it's a fact.. Whatever Title is on Raw is the Title Cena needs to go after if he's the face of the company.

This is kindly ludicrous of a thread. John Cena not going for the WWE champ makes no sense, because of the belts. The WWE title is formed (its looks) around John's gimmick. Now then, because the WHC is second rate? Is just silly to even think that. In the WWE's eyes, they both mean the exact samething. They both have the same credibility, and have the same exact meaning. The holder of this title, is head guy on this brand. The holder of this title is head guy on this brand.

The world heavyweight championship was awarded to HHH by Eric Bishoff, on Sept 22, 2002 after the brandsplit. HHH then went on to unify the Intercontinental championship into the World Title. It has been passed down superstar to superstar 29 times since then. Right now, its currently on head Smackdown superstar Edge. Cena was holding the title after his huge win at Wrestlemania. So how my friend is it any diffrent from the WWE title. Other than its looks, and name. To say otherwise is quite the silly.

I agree with Kyphael, having only heavyweights fight for the World Heavyweight Championship would give the title a much more meaningful prestige than just being "the belt on SmackDown or Raw at the time"... that consistency would certainly be able to give continuous credibility whilst the location of the belt changes with brand switches et cetera, the foundation of the belt itself would not. It'd also make for great giant killer storylines... the belts and feuds seem so meaningless compared to in the 90's.

However the one drawback from this is that it'd solidify the WWE title as either lesser or higher depending on your opinion. For instance you could argue that heavyweights who go for the WWE title aren't good enough to be WHC, or that by having more people eligible to become WWE champion hypothetically it has more meaning to be that champion as there are more challengers hungry for your gold to defend against.

The reason the World Heavyweight title seems second rate (and I said this before) is because there is no way to tell it apart from the WWE title (aside from the look.) We know the WWE title is the number one belt in the company so the World title automatically becomes number 2, not to mention it's so generic. What sets it apart from the WWE title apart from the look? I mean, it's called a HEAVYWEIGHT belt, yet guys like Mysterio, Punk, Jericho and Michaels have held it but are not heavyweights. I'm not saying they should have never won it, I'm saying they should have won the WWE title instead, which I believe has no weight limits..

A heavyweight title, regardless of the weight of a wrestler, can be competed for even by light heavyweights or cruiserweights. It is considered the top title of a company.

If the Heavyweight title was designed for only heavyweights to compete for and the announcers put that over then it would seem more important. The WWE title would still be just as symbollic because as Jr. said this past Friday night, it's the McMahon seal; the first original belt of the company and there is so much history behind it..

The WWE Title, during the days of Hulk Hogan, and even the majority of the 90's, was called the WWF World Heavyweight Championship until 1997, when it was shortened to the WWF Championship. So Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, and Ric Flair should not have won it?

The World Heavyweight Championship could be for purely heavyweights (HHH, Undertaker, Big Show, Kozlov, Cena, MVP, Khali) and the WWE title for anyone that is over (Edge, Orton, Jericho, Punk, Mysterio, Christian, Hardys, Morrison) and the other guys from the heavyweight division who choose to go for the WWE title. Know what I mean? Only a seclect group of contenders competing for it (anyone at least over 250 lbs. let's say) can vie for it.

That's a dumb suggestion.

I agree with Kyphael, having only heavyweights fight for the World Heavyweight Championship would give the title a much more meaningful prestige than just being "the belt on SmackDown or Raw at the time"... that consistency would certainly be able to give continuous credibility whilst the location of the belt changes with brand switches et cetera, the foundation of the belt itself would not. It'd also make for great giant killer storylines... the belts and feuds seem so meaningless compared to in the 90's.

However the one drawback from this is that it'd solidify the WWE title as either lesser or higher depending on your opinion. For instance you could argue that heavyweights who go for the WWE title aren't good enough to be WHC, or that by having more people eligible to become WWE champion hypothetically it has more meaning to be that champion as there are more challengers hungry for your gold to defend against.

The WWE Title, as well as the ECW Title, are both Heavyweight Titles too. So this one won't work.

WWE title is known as WWE Championship not WWE World Heavyweight Championship which is the belt Edge won last night at Backlash.

The ECW championship is currently known as the ECW Championship, although at one point it was known as the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.

So only one belt currently is known as a World Heavyweight Championship, although all belts are regarded as world championships in their own right (although the value of the ECW title tends to fluctuate).

WWE title is known as WWE Championship not WWE World Heavyweight Championship which is the belt Edge won last night at Backlash.

The ECW championship is currently known as the ECW Championship, although at one point it was known as the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.

So only one belt currently is known as a World Heavyweight Championship, although all belts are regarded as world championships in their own right (although the value of the ECW title tends to fluctuate).

I never said that the WWE Championship is also the same as the World Heavyweight Championship... What I said was that it is a heavyweight title too.

If you don't remember, the WWE Championship was also known as the WWF World Heavyweight Championship and WWF Heavyweight Championship during the 1980's and majority of the 1990's (up until 1998), although at times it was shortened to the WWF Championship.

If you read the Wrestlemania III poster, Hulk Hogan was billed as the WWF World Heavyweight Champion against Andre The Giant.

And no matter what people think or say, the ECW Title is a world title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back