John Cena is Vince's Sting

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
When WCW was still in its pre-NWO, "we're just happy to be #2" stages, some strong future stars were up and down their roster, some strong wrestling occured, and the booking team was able to draw the loyalist old school wrestling fan to the table with promises of classic matches and championships that observed and respected those who came first.

And eventually, people got bored with that. So who did the WCW turn to for an answer whenever that happened? Sting.

Sting was WCW's "stop gap measure." He was a loyal superstar, the "franchise" of WCW. He had a serious connection with the fans, and whenever WCW needed a shot in the arm, they were able to turn to the Stinger to hoist the company on his back and carry them a ways.

This is eerily similar to the man Jim Ross once compared to Sting when he was in OVW - John Cena.

prototype.jpg

43da_1.JPG

1. John Cena is 100% loyal to the WWE product, much as Sting was to WCW, and eventually to TNA. He basically followed where the NWA went.

2. Loads of power, amazing athleticism, a few major high-impact moves, a pinfall finisher and a submission finisher.

3. When things start to flag, Sting was the man WCW threw the belt on. Same with Cena now.

So I ask you - is John Cena actually Vince McMahon's answer to the one superstar he could never have???

The one problem here is that Cena is not a stop gap for WWE. He's not the fall back guy. He's not the man that they trust when things start going wrong. He is the man. Vince doesn't trust Cena to carry the company when its flagging, he trusts him to carry the company full stop.

As for wrestling styles, well, I suppose there are some similarities. Gotta say that I've been infinitely more impressed by what I've seen from Cena than I have from Sting.

You could say cena is vince's sting but at one point in time, you could argue that the rock was in the same position. In one corner, WCW had sting, in the other corner, WWF/E had the rock. But at any point during the purchase of WCW, neither one of them got to meet one another in the ring, which was a real shame.

I think HHH would be the better comparison. How many times was Sting booed? As much as Cena is a marketing God for the WWE, anyone over 15 is sick of him. No one got sick of Sting. Or the Rock. People are sick of HHH's politics, but when the matches come, he rarely gets booed (in a match with Cena at Wrestlemania, HHH as the heel got cheered). HHH is pretty loyal to WWE by marriage, and has the couple power moves. He's had the belt thrown on him what, 14 times? Ric Flair got 16 in 30 years, HHH will get it in a little over 10.

You can say the same thing about Undertaker now, except that he doesn't get infinite title reigns. He's not going anywhere, and more people would rather see him, heel or face, than Cena.

I think HHH would be the better comparison. How many times was Sting booed? As much as Cena is a marketing God for the WWE, anyone over 15 is sick of him. No one got sick of Sting. Or the Rock. People are sick of HHH's politics, but when the matches come, he rarely gets booed (in a match with Cena at Wrestlemania, HHH as the heel got cheered). HHH is pretty loyal to WWE by marriage, and has the couple power moves. He's had the belt thrown on him what, 14 times? Ric Flair got 16 in 30 years, HHH will get it in a little over 10.

You can say the same thing about Undertaker now, except that he doesn't get infinite title reigns. He's not going anywhere, and more people would rather see him, heel or face, than Cena.

You make me laugh you have no clue about wrestling.

Anyways i do agree with uncle sam and i do feel cena is the main guy with vince he knows what hes doing and how to make money.

My question is would people boo hogan if the internet was around back then.i kinda see cena/hogan kinda the same than sting.but time will tell if cena as loyal as sting as there no big company out there yet that can pull superstars away.

Care to elaborate?

Sting wasn't popular because 9 year olds loved him. Hogan to Cena is the better comparison. If your idea of "wrestling" is making money, than I guess I don't know anything about wrestling, but Sting wasn't popular because he sold merchandise and made money for WCW. The comparison with Sting are guys that are in the company not for selling merchandise, but for the company itself and the product, guys like HHH and Undertaker. Cena has a marketable personality in a mainstream kind of way regardless of his in ring ability, while Sting is a true great in the business who put in the years and has the ability.

Anyways i do agree with uncle sam and i do feel cena is the main guy with vince he knows what hes doing and how to make money.

My question is would people boo hogan if the internet was around back then.i kinda see cena/hogan kinda the same than sting.but time will tell if cena as loyal as sting as there no big company out there yet that can pull superstars away.

Hey there I'm new and I just saw this and it made me laugh, mainly cause the last sentence makes no sense!

Well of course people would boo Hogan if the internet was around back then, I'm sure people even did boo him without the need of the internet, I actually preferred him when he was in the N.W.O, cause no one ever thought Hogan would do something like that! I never liked Hogan as a big babyface, just the same way I don't like cena as the big babyface, he would be better as a heel, and Vince really isn't making money, if he was making money he wouldn't have had cut the majority of 'superstars' that he had cut in the last few years, if anything they would have been a great help to Ecw, to possibly make it a 2 hour show even, and then if possible bring in more extreme, then ecw would start being a really good company, Vince would make more money cause everybody loves the good old Ecw, and if he made it like the good old Ecw then more and more people would start watching it, but now it's just terrible, thank god for a few 'superstars' on the show! And it would also be a great stepping stone for young Wwe talent!

If anything they should have stayed with the attitude era instead of a more kid friendly program, I watched it when I was a kid and back then I watched the attitude era and it was amazing! back then they even managed to make storylines for nearly any title, now they can hardly make one for the intercontinental championship!

I'm actually starting to like Tna more, cause it reminds me of the attitude era, plus it has an amazing roster of wrestlers,

I have to disagree with you on this one. Cena isn't comparable to Sting in any other light other than the fact that they wear the belt when they're told to. With that out of the way, compare Cena's number of reigns and the length of them to Sting's. I'm sure you'll notice a difference. Plainly put Sting didn't require a title to be over with the fans. Cena on the other hand, he gets audible boos in his pops no matter if he's champ, challenger, face, or heel. While I am a huge fan of Sting, I have to point something else out. Sting has been with a company that went under and got bought out by WWE, and he chose to stay away and ended up in TNA as opposed to staying put and making some more cash. The reason why is speculative, but more often than not it occurs to me that Sting knew that Vince was gonna use him as a workhorse and nothing more. Love the Stinger to death, but he wouldn't have lasted long with Vince before he got hurt. Cena on the other hand, I hate him with a passion, but he's Vince's fetish and perfect business tool all rolled into one. Young, ripped, strong, good mic skills, acting, etc. etc. The difference between these two, is you have one performer who works for the business and one who works because the business tells him to. Cena is good for one thing only, and that's ensuring that WWE has it's hand in multiple forms of revenue (i.e. movies, music, tv) and hope that Vince can find a way to promote him to get people to buy his products. The end.

Hey there I'm new and I just saw this and it made me laugh, mainly cause the last sentence makes no sense!

Yer you should watch da last 3 tna ppv's that will put you back on the right track to wwe.

What i was trying to say there no other company that has money to temp other wrestlers to jump ship.Sting,hbk,undertaker all stay with there own company but others went to the other for more money.wwe to wcw or wcw to wwe.

that was my reason hope that makes things more clear.

Oh yer to that loki your first post on here was bad with the rant about titles ect it seem you was just a moaner but ur a big sting fan i got nothing against that.Just remeber everything is about money and tv rantings.so u got a lil credit back lol

If this is based on loyalty, then it would have to be between Shawn Michaels and Triple H(Maybe Michaels, he was never in WCW). They both have been there a very long time and climbed the ranks (one way or another) while there. They have Storied Careers now cause of WWF/E and they both did it rivaling Sting while never in the same company.

:wcw:

Yer you should watch da last 3 tna ppv's that will put you back on the right track to wwe.

What i was trying to say there no other company that has money to temp other wrestlers to jump ship.Sting,hbk,undertaker all stay with there own company but others went to the other for more money.wwe to wcw or wcw to wwe.

that was my reason hope that makes things more clear.

Oh yer to that loki your first post on here was bad with the rant about titles ect it seem you was just a moaner but ur a big sting fan i got nothing against that.Just remeber everything is about money and tv rantings.so u got a lil credit back lol

Ha you make me laugh yet again, this time mainly because of your use of the English language.

I did watch the last 3 Tna ppv's and I found them to be quite entertaining, and actually I have to correct you on signings and such, what about the likes of Kurt Angle and Booker T, they jumped ship to Tna, not because of money but because they actually thought that tna was the better company, was using their wrestlers correctly and also allowed them to have more free time to spend with there families and other things.

But I understand where you are coming from, and I agree with you on most of it, just some people aren't in it for the money. but for an easier career path.

When ever people think of Sting in WCW, they think Shawn in WWE. That is the dream match because they are the only one's to be loyal to their respective companies and have long lasting careers in the business. Cena= Hogan,HBK = Sting

I could see Edge as a comparison to Sting in terms of being a "franchise player", the company trust him a lot just look at all the titles he's won, and in the near future he's goign to be one of the more senior guys who will probably gain more trust. If a champion gets injured tommorow, you'd have to say Edge is the guy they'd put the title on.

When ever people think of Sting in WCW, they think Shawn in WWE. That is the dream match because they are the only one's to be loyal to their respective companies and have long lasting careers in the business. Cena= Hogan,HBK = Sting

I don't agree with this at all. HHH is loyal to WWE right? So what if he spent a failed millisecond in WCW? Shawn Michaels wrestled for AWA before going to WWF, so isn't that the same boat that HHH would be in? The Undertaker also spent a failed millisecond in WCW, and anyone, until this thread, as always been saying that the WWE counterpart to Sting was the Undertaker, so I don't know where this Shawn Michaels stuff is coming from.

Lest we forget.... Goldberg was a result of Sting not quite being able to hold the company...
There was two wrestlers that held their companies.... Austin and Goldberg!

Sting was boo'd alot! he was boring and still is!
If you ask me John Cena is like alot of other wrestlers.... he is like goldberg... nearly unstopable... he's like Austin... Carrying wwe on his back. But mostly he is like Hogan...
Loved by all the little kids, high in charisma, high in strength(both were body builders)
Low in wrestling Ability.

Care to elaborate?

Sting wasn't popular because 9 year olds loved him. Hogan to Cena is the better comparison. If your idea of "wrestling" is making money, than I guess I don't know anything about wrestling, but Sting wasn't popular because he sold merchandise and made money for WCW. The comparison with Sting are guys that are in the company not for selling merchandise, but for the company itself and the product, guys like HHH and Undertaker. Cena has a marketable personality in a mainstream kind of way regardless of his in ring ability, while Sting is a true great in the business who put in the years and has the ability.
see you are wrong about sting not being popular because of 9 year old kids . cause sting was partly popular because of 9 year old kid. they were called stingers. sting was popular because he sold merchandise and made money for WCW. cena & sting were even trained by the same people .you guys have to realize that if sting or hogan debuted in this era they would get booed like cena. the fans of today hate old school wrestling like hogan,sting ,& Cena do. cena & sting ha ave the same ability.the only reason sting got better then the warrior was he wrestled ric flair while warrior had to wrestle hogan . sting & cena are the same & you all are too blind to see it . cena is this era's hogan or sting . because sting was nwa/wcw's answer for hogan & warrior & that is fact.

You could say cena is vince's sting but at one point in time, you could argue that the rock was in the same position. In one corner, WCW had sting, in the other corner, WWF/E had the rock. But at any point during the purchase of WCW, neither one of them got to meet one another in the ring, which was a real shame.

maybe it's better that The Rock and Sting didn't meet. The Rock would've definitely won since WWE was basically throwing WCW guys under the bus all the time during the "Invasion" angle.
Many Sting fans would've just been majorly pissed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back