• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jmt's Random Match of the Day

Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles (IWA Mid South - 9/18/04)​

Why you should watch: Dare I say this is better than the famous Joe/Styles/Daniels three way from TNA Unbreakable 2005? Well, I think that would be a minority opinion, but it's one I sincerely have. I love this match. You'll be hard pressed to find a match in such a shitty ring where guys could pull off the kind of stuff these three pull off. It's incredible. Also, AJ Styles shows as much heart and intestinal fortitude as I've ever seen from a pro wrestler at the end of this match. I would go into further detail but I don't want to spoil it. You'll see for yourself. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]E1RXe3Cy3Ak[/YOUTUBE]​

Shawn Michaels vs. Steve Austin (WWE King of the Ring - 6/8/97)​

Why you should watch: I believe this is the most underrated match of both of these guys incredible careers. When you see people talk about the best matches these two have had, this one never gets brought up for some reason. I just don't get it. It's terrific, and IMO even better than their Wrestlemania 14 match against one another. I mean, the ending isn't very satisfying, but it's a damn good little technical match. Also, keep an eye out for the fan who tries to interfere. He's a mentally challenged Shawn Michaels fan and HBK comes to his rescue before security could beat the shit out of him. See, Shawn wasn't a total dick during his 90's run, eh? Check it out.

I knew the Joe-Danielson-Styles IWA:MS match was coming as soon as you said you'd be posting your two favourite non-ROH indy matches. I feel like I've been watching you a little too closely over the years...

Great thread. Will visit again.

Kurt Angle vs. Roderick Strong (WWE Smackdown - 1/13/05)​

Why you should watch: This is a little match not many people realize ever took place. It's nothing too special, but it's worth watching for you ROH/Indy fans out there. Roderick right before this match begins is so hilariously cheesy trying to get the crowd behind him, but Kurt Angle is such a good heel, that the fans still root for Roderick like crazy at the one moment where they actually believe there's a real shot of him winning this thing. It's a very cool moment. Also, Kurt could not be more stiff with Roddy throughout this match. Maybe what Roderick does at the beginning legitimately pissed Kurt off, who knows, but man... this is one hell of a beatdown Kurt gives this kid. Check it out.

Roderick said in his shoot Angle was so impressed he took his number cause he wanted to train with Roddy sometime down the line. Pretty cool moment.

Raven vs. Terry Gordy (ECW Hardcore Heaven - 6/22/96)​

Why you should watch: This is prime Raven at his finest, and Terry Gordy's last hoorah. Terry Gordy is one of the greatest wrestlers ever and after suffering a stroke in 1993, he was never the same. Except for one match, and this is that match. Raven concocted a beautiful match here to make Gordy look like a million bucks, while still coming out on top over some cowardly bullshit in typical Raven fashion. Check it out.

Tajiri vs. Super Crazy (ECW on TNN - 9/17/99)​

Why you should watch: Tajiri and Super Crazy's feud IMO was the only really good thing about ECW besides Rob Van Dam once Taz and the Dudleys departed for WWE. Their series of matches agaisnt one another were simply incredible and do not get anywhere near the recognition they deserve. It was very tough to choose out of all the great matches they had, but I think you guys will really dig my selection. Check it out.

Ronnie Garvin vs. Greg Valentine (WWE Superstars - 10/21/89)​

Why you should watch: Ronnie Garvin's a forgotten gem in the pro wrestling industry. Most people remember him for the classic feud and matches he had against Ric Flair in the NWA, but he was great in WWE, too. I was a fan as a kid, and in reflection I'm very disappointed WWE never gave him a bigger push. Specifically, his feud with Greg "The Hammer" Valentine was absolutely terrific and for me it showed that he could have no doubt drew a good bit against the more popular heels in the company if given the opportunity. Anyway, this match here isn't one of the greatest you'll ever watch, but I think you all will see the potential Garvin had in WWE. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]tYW-i4xkBRE[/YOUTUBE]​

HHH vs. Jeff Hardy (WWE Smackdown - 4/10/01)​

Why you should watch: I believe this is the first televised match these two had against each other, and IMO it's still by far the best match these two ever had against one another. They feuded over the World Title in 2008/2009, and while they did some good stuff, none of it measures up to this match as far as I'm concerned. While Jeff Hardy was as good as he's ever been in 2009, HHH in 2000/2001 before his first major injury was at his absolute peak and had one of the greatest couple of years anyone has ever had in pro wrestling. This match is at pretty much towards the end of that run. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]7R6rLfYJHm4[/YOUTUBE]​

Fucking love the Hardy - HHH match. While I was a bigger fan of the two Chris' taking on the two man power trip and winning the tag belts, I have a much more vivid memory of when Jeff beat HHH for the IC title.

I first started watching WWE at Royal Rumble 2000 and all I saw from HHH was him being an unmerciful vicious bastard, so Jeff, albeit with an assist from Matt, defeating the cerebral assassin was the first time I was genuinely shocked by the WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back