• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jmt's Random Match of the Day

jmt225

Global Moderator
I figured it'd be fun to start a thread where everyday I post a somewhat obscure match for people to check out and hopefully enjoy. I hope all the matches I have in mind are all on Youtube, but if not then I'll go out of my way and upload them myself with a title that won't get it taken down.

So, with that said, today's random match of the day...

Hulk Hogan & The Great Muta vs. "Road Warrior" Hawk & Kensuke Sasaki (9/23/93)​

Why you should watch: Well, for one, you get to see the American GOAT tag up with the Japanese GOAT. But also, this is one of the very rare times that we ever got to see Hulk Hogan lock up with one of the Road Warriors (aka The Legion of Doom), a tag team many consider the "Hulk Hogan" of tag teams. Hawk was a monster at this time and the powerhouse stuff between he and the Hulkster in this match are very cool. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]OWjbq-1YBSI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gcz_8PSa12g[/YOUTUBE]​

2-out-of-3 Falls Match: Doink the Clown vs. Marty Jannetty (WWE Raw - 6/23/93)

Why you should watch: This match will surprise you. WWE catches a lot of shit during this time period for their "cartoon" characters, and the first person detractors always point to is Doink the Clown. However, I think those who do that didn't actually watch back then. Doink was a BRILLIANT character, when he was a heel anyway. WWE turned him face way too soon and it went all down hill from there, but his first few months in the company was awesome and this is perhaps his best match during that run against the also underrated and extremely talented Marty Jannetty, who most should remember as Shawn Michaels tag team partner from The Rockers. Check it out.

Fight Without Honor: Paul London vs. Michael Shane (ROH Unscripted - 9/21/02)​

Why you should watch: This is the very first "great" ROH match, and IMO is still a top 5 greatest match in the company's history. Paul London had a series of matches during his short stint in Ring of Honor that rivals almost any year a wrestler has ever had, match quality wise. His matches against AJ Styles, Bryan Danielson, etc. were all phenomenal, but it's the "Street Fight" against Michael Shane that really shines above all others. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]kbzNdNg180c[/YOUTUBE]​

Hulk Hogan & The Great Muta vs. "Road Warrior" Hawk & Kensuke Sasaki (9/23/93)​

[YOUTUBE]OWjbq-1YBSI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gcz_8PSa12g[/YOUTUBE]​

A unique viewing experience for me, a few notes and queries:

# Loved the matching LOD gear. What year was this btw? Hawk looks "big".

# Hogan's entrance music was boss. And god the crowd's into him.

# That staredown got a good pop from the crowd, so did that slap. Good stuff and props to Hawk. He would do little things to keep the flow going.

# Hawk's strength on that Military Press. Impressive.

# Equally impressive... Hawk no-sell on the apron off Muta's dropkick. Something I'm missing here?

# Ok there is seriously something going on, someone explain that cold shoulder at the end to me.

# Loved the matching LOD gear. What year was this btw? Hawk looks "big".

The date of each match is in the title. If you look again I'm sure you'll see that match was from September 1993.

# Equally impressive... Hawk no-sell on the apron off Muta's dropkick. Something I'm missing here?

In Japan if you only connect with minimum force, they will no sell it. That's a big no-no in the states, but in Japan it's normal.

# Ok there is seriously something going on, someone explain that cold shoulder at the end to me.

Hogan and Muta had a one-on-one match not too long before this and storyline wise they were forced into teaming with one another even though they didn't want to. Muta was still a heel around this time.

Just to back-up the London match, the fact he returned years later and had people chanting legend at him is a sign of how much ROH fans care for him. Too bad Davey stomped him in the head, he's back soon though so that's not too bad.

The Midnight Express vs. The Southern Boys (WCW Great American Bash - 7/7/90)​

Why you should watch: This is tag team wrestling at its finest. How none of these guys went on to become singles stars, I'll never know. Stan Lane of The Midnight Express specifically had everything it took to be a star, and you'll see that with this match. Also, this match is in 1990, yet the audience is very modern in the sense that they're split right down the middle on who to cheer for. Don't get me wrong, they're wildly into it, but they have no idea who to root for since while the Midnight Express ("Beautiful" Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane, with Jim Cornette in their corner) are heels, they're cool heels, and while the Southern Boys (Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong) are babyfaces... well, they're Southern and this match takes place in Baltimore. Regardless, the crowd only adds to it in what is truly a jovial match to sit through. Check it out.

Owen Hart vs. The 123 Kid (WWE King of the Ring - 6/19/94)​

Why you should watch: Bret Hart has called this the greatest match ever that's under 5 minutes long, and I'm inclined to agree, as I think you all will be once you watch it. That's really all that needs to be said. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]8LqVSPWsO48[/YOUTUBE]​

Taz vs. Brakkus (ECW Cyberslam - 2/21/98)​

Why you should watch: People forget just what a bad ass motherfucker Taz was. Unfortunately he's ruined his image today by being a chubby, mediocre commentator, but during his run in ECW... he really made you believe he was the baddest man on the planet. This match here is nothing special, far from it, but it's the perfect match to show people how unbelievably merciless Taz truly was. Brakkus was supposed to be the next big thing in WWE, and they thought it'd be a good idea to send him down to ECW since it did wonders for Al Snow. Paul Heyman had something else in mind, and this is how he decided to use him: Feed him to Taz. This is Taz at his most brutal and awesome, and Brakkus was never able to recover from this beatdown. Check it out.

Good god that TV belt looks a LOT like the old WWF championship

Line of the match, Styles speaking about Taz: A world-class miserable human being :lmao:

I also heard that around this time there were rumours of Warrior coming to ECW...and being fed to Taz. Say what you want about Heyman, but he knew how to build a guy.

Tazz was well-built but too long was taken to pull the trigger.

Been a long time since I have seen that Owen/123 Kid match. Great stuff. The counter of the spinning heel kick into the German suplex is something that even Kurt Angle or ECW Tazz would have been proud of.

Alundra Blayze vs. Bull Nakano (WWE Summerslam - 10/18/94)​

Why you should watch: Forget about Lita vs. Trish or Trish vs. Mickie James... Alundra Blayze vs. Bull Nakano is by far the greatest women's feud in the history of WWE. There wasn't a great story behind it, mostly heel vs. babyface generic stuff, but their matches against one another were INCREDIBLE. I could have picked any one of them and it would have been thoroughly enjoyed by you all. The version I choose is from one of WWE's former Coliseum Video special releases. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]VwJL9e0CY9I[/YOUTUBE]​

Sting vs. Meng (WCW Great American Bash - 6/18/95)​

Why you should watch: This was one of my favorite match's as a kid. I've made it no secrete on these forums that Sting is my favorite wrestler of all time and has been basically forever, but what made this match special was the mystique of Meng's (formerly Haku in WWE) character at this time. I think many people have forgotten about the beginning of Meng's run in WCW. The guy was a fucking MONSTER. WCW pushed him Goldberg levels of unstoppable, except he was a heel. Sting was the first person to really challenge him, and man... what a great superhero vs. villain couple of matches these two put on. This is their first encounter and it's for the vacant WCW United States Championship. Check it out.

Meng's son is in New Japan as Tama Tonga and is so much better than Camacho! Hes athletic, has a good look, can actually go in the ring and hes not a bad speaker, hes a part of a heel group called BulletClub which is the top angle in NJPW right now, so at least Haku has something to be proud of.

Meng's son is in New Japan as Tama Tonga and is so much better than Camacho! Hes athletic, has a good look, can actually go in the ring and hes not a bad speaker, hes a part of a heel group called BulletClub which is the top angle in NJPW right now, so at least Haku has something to be proud of.

I had no idea! I'll be looking him up right after this post. Thanks for the info.

Also, this weekend I will be posting my favorite two non-ROH indy matches ever for you guys. Neither are available anywhere on the internet except for MV tributes to them, so I'll have to rip them off my DVDs and upload them myself. I hope you all give them a shot and enjoy 'em as much as I do.

Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher (IWA Mid South - 6/11/05)​

Why you should watch: Brutality. And no, not that "Deathmatch" horseshit; just two men beating the hell out of each other. In fact, I would go as far as to say Necro takes more of a beating in this match than any other person I've ever seen take a beating in a pro wrestling match (along the lines of it all being a work... shit like what New Jack pulls doesn't count), and that includes Mankind vs. The Undertaker in HITC. If Necro was a lesser man then I wouldn't be able to like this anywhere near to the extent that I do, but since I know he can take it, it makes the match simply epic for me. It's set in the old ECW Arena, the crowd couldn't be more into it, and CM Punk provides some absolute gems on commentary. It's a true blast to sit through. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]KIy819hzNUA[/YOUTUBE]​

That last slam onto the outside towards me end made me feel a bit sick the first time I watched it. Joe beats the absolute shit out of another guy, which really laid the groundwork for Joe in the future.

Maybe if Necro knew how to take a fucking bump (i.e. don't land on your head after every move) he wouldn't take so much punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back