• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jerry Lawlers problems with David Otunga & Joe Hennig

We shy worth hair
I'll preface this by saying that I love Jerry Lawler, I thought his feud against the Miz and the matches that accompany it were really emotional and great television.

Since they started appearing on RAW regularly as tag champs, Jerry Lawler has been putting down Hennig & Otunga on RAW saying things about them even at one stage calling them "the most boring tag team in the history of the WWE". He disparaged them with having no personality(Despite at the time they were facing Kofi & Evan) & being bland.

I have been a fan of both men. Otunga has improved sevenfold since NXT and he has a lot of charisma. He may still lack in the in-ring department but that's why Hennig worked as the perfect yin-yang to him where Hennig would do all the ring work while developing charisma for himself. The team began to develop some good chemistry and were on a roll for the last 40 days of their reign. When I began to hear Lawler verbally berate these guys I thought it was just WWE not giving a shit about these guys and exposing their weaknesses(Which you should never do to any superstar especially if they're a champ) because they didn't want to say anything positive about them while Michael Cole of all people defended them. Lawler is ripping them for having no charisma and not being exciting. Hard to do when you get zero mic time, and after spending months as Punk's punching bags, get no real conclusion to that angle and just kind of carry on. Also I head him make fun of their long tag title run by saying they never defended the titles. Well, who the hell were they supposed to defend against? The defended them against the Uso's, and as far as tag teams go, that's about the extent of the roster of duos.

Lawler's commentary has been as dull as it gets the past couple of years and there was a lot of satisfaction watching tonight's show. In some ironic twist Lawler's unabashed verbal burying of guys like Otunga & Hennig has actually gotten me on their side. They seemed to have benefited from not being attached to the dying albatross that was the Nexus.

I got a lot of satisfaction in tonight's seemingly concentrated effort to make Lawler look like an asshole. Michael Cole was giving him shit for his fat jokes, his berating of McGillitunga, then they stared him down, slapped him around and he just stood there humbled. This angle needs to lead to some kind of spark being lit in Lawler's character or it needs to lead to his getting shipped out because he's either bored playing the face or simply doesn't have it anymore. This could also benefit the former tag team champions greatly, this feud should end with the Duo destroying Lawler, giving the Duo actual heat.

What are your thoughts on this developing angle?
Could this lead to another team debuting to save Lawler from the team of Joe Hennig & David Otunga?

FUCK LAWLER!! he's a cena kiss ass!! every episode he gloats about how much better cena is then punk! i hope otunga kills him!! S.O.B

You DO realize its scripted right? He is told to say that stuff so saying you want him dead is extremely childish and stupid...well actually its worse then that but you get the idea (or maybe you dont...)

But regardless I like when he disses them, its entertaining and hopefully leads to something cool

You DO realize its scripted right? He is told to say that stuff so saying you want him dead is extremely childish and stupid...well actually its worse then that but you get the idea (or maybe you dont...)

But regardless I like when he disses them, its entertaining and hopefully leads to something cool

What he said was childish and immature but scripted or not, Lawler actually in real life does think that Cena's one of the greatest of all time which is kinda sad when you realise his territory has seen some of the true greats over the last 40 years pass through now and then.

On the other hand, I agree with Lawler too as much as I've never enjoyed him as an announcer at all, heel or face. Otunga and Hennig are as bland, boring and pointless as 90% of the rest of the current WWE roster (notable exceptions of course being Danielson, Del Rio, Punk, Sheamus, Nash, Christian, Orton, Sin Cara, Beth and Nattie)

One thing I'd love to hear in this little feud is Lawler do is compare Migilicutty to his father at some point, I feel like that is something that hasnt been used much in his character and is too bad because his dad is a legend and it would help him to be associated with him (just like it did Legacy). I have gotten tired of lawler for years now but I think it'll be a good feud for otunga and mcgillicutty

One thing that stood out to me was when Lawler said he doesn't make his comments to put down Otunga and McGillicutty, but to help motivate them. Imagine if it lead to King making a heel turn and joining them as a manager.
- WWE is trying to make tag teams interesting again.
- King was always great as a heel.
- Him as their manager would compensate for the flaws that the team currently have.
- With King they might actually start drawing heat for the first time since they were in the Nexus.

King sounds like he's trying to light a fire under these guys, get them pumped up, get them to do something that really gets them noticed. A King heel turn would be unexpected, as someone in the thread already pointed out that King kisses Cena's ass on screen.

I think it should lead to Lawler telling Henning he's better than Otunga, he's the son of Mr. Perfect and that hanging out with Otunga who got his job because his wife is famous is putting him down. This eventually lead to a Otunga Henning feud and hopefully henning going farther down the road.

I like the poster above comments and if there is a way to ever get him over as Mr perfect's son this could be it , by turning him face and maybe have Lawler manage him for a little bit to get him built up . Or else as another poster eluded to lawler pull's a vintage cole and goes heel as he's been ripping on these guy's the same way Cole riped on Bryan Daniel which lead to his outburst . I see one of those happening

I think Jerry cutting them down will maybe lead Tungacutty into actually become good wrestlers. Otunga is the voice of the group and he needs the wrestling skills. Mike is the wrestler group and needs the mic skills. They are deff ying an yang as someone else saied. They are really bland and boring and need a good package or something to make them interesting. I think Jerry bashing them is to relate to them being former Nexus and not letting the past go. An maybe it is also a spark for them to step up there game and become better then what they are. I personally hope they improve and become a legit tag team. They just need a new package deal.

An for this I know it is irrelevant to the post but I have a question and it is bugging me.
If Mike went to his real name, and it started the whole refrence to his father being Mr. Perfect what would that do to Dolph Ziggler? Since he use's the perfection gimmick at the moment.

I like some of the suggestions made for Lawler, but I have to disagree.

~A heel turn would be great, but why? Cole is already the heel of the announcing booth.

~A manager role is NOT something I want to see him doing...at least not with these guys.

~Mouthpiece for Henning is good, but he needs that on his own. Why bring a legend into it? It only shows that he needs someone else to fight his battles.

The only real reason I can see Lawler getting in the middle of this is to bring in the Kings of Wrestling. King can show them that the KoW are what tyhe tag division is about, and how these guys could never be on their level THAT COULD start a feud between Otunga and Henning.

One thing that stood out to me was when Lawler said he doesn't make his comments to put down Otunga and McGillicutty, but to help motivate them. Imagine if it lead to King making a heel turn and joining them as a manager.

As much as i would like this,I dont see it happening because Lawler is old now and if anything was to go wrong or he had to give it up then you can't retire him as a heel.He needs to get that big standing ovation and he has to be a face.
I agree with everything Lawler is saying they are boring,bland,not intresting and have shown no charisma at all.

I like some of the suggestions made for Lawler, but I have to disagree.

~A heel turn would be great, but why? Cole is already the heel of the announcing booth.

~A manager role is NOT something I want to see him doing...at least not with these guys.

~Mouthpiece for Henning is good, but he needs that on his own. Why bring a legend into it? It only shows that he needs someone else to fight his battles.

The only real reason I can see Lawler getting in the middle of this is to bring in the Kings of Wrestling. King can show them that the KoW are what tyhe tag division is about, and how these guys could never be on their level THAT COULD start a feud between Otunga and Henning.

For the most part I agree with you, but the comment that Hennig needs mic skills on his own I feel is not supported. This is the exact role for a manager. Wrestlers with great in-ring skills who aren't quite as strong on the mic. Bobby Heenan helped out Mr. Perfect until he was able to carry his own messages. Some of Curt's really early mic work was horrible except for the one-liner "nobody beats Mr. Perfrect....Nobody", he gradually got better and no longer needed a manager. Joe could follow the same path his father did in this respect.

I think this all leads to Jerry THE KING Lawler to bring in the KINGS Of Wrestling to shut up Otunga and Mcnugget. I think thats what they are aiming to do, it just makes too much sense

Cole is barely a heel anymore. He doesn't argue with king and JR nearly as often as he used to, he barely puts over heels, I'm almost thinking they're going to turn Cole face and King Heel. I can't imagine King managing (then again I couldn't imagine him still wrestling). Either way they need something for Otunga & Hennig because they've haven't had enough mic time or in ring time to prove that they're not boring.

I love how all the marks are saying stuff like "fuck lawler, he kisses Cena's ass on tv and in real life". Cena actually IS one of the greatest of all time. Don't be a mark, think without bias for once. Also lol at the predictable HEEL TURNZ suggestions. Fuck, not everyone should be a heel.

As for this. I think it's great. Otunga fuckin blows. He has that "what am I supposed to do next?" face all the time. He lacks confidence in the ring and thus, no one in the crowd believes him. Hennig is pretty good and is getting better.

I hope this is a way for Lawler to teach the kids and for him to get them over. You have Mr. Hudson and Mr. Perfect's son. Just make them decent and they'll get over.

This could be good for McTungacutty. They can take their frustrations out on the announcers only for another team to make the save, probably Air Boom, leading to a tag team title feud that means something more than "random pair A wants random pair B's titles". McTungacutty can be great if they are given a chance to improve so wherever this Lawler angle goes, it could benefit them a lot because at the very least it will result in giving them something to do. I'm interested in seeing where this goes. If the reports of revamping the tag team division are true, then this would be a place to bring in a new team at. The new team could come to save Lawler next time he is attacked by McTungacutty.

Otunga and Henning need a new name if they are going to get anywhere, I like that they occassionally perform "team" moves but they need to develop a lot more of these. If not then King is spot on, they bring nothing to the table.

I don't have a problem with anything that Lawler said about those two because you know what..he's absolutely right about them. They have no charisma and together, they often looked lost like they were looking for something. In their 3 month title reign, they defended the belts twice with the second time being a loss. Basically hold the belts like some sort of jewelry piece that goes good with an outfit. It wasn't out of bounds for him to say nor does it implicate that he's turning "heel". King is at the point now where he tells it like it is. That's what he brings to the announce table. you got JR calling the action, Cole as the heel announcer and King calling it as he sees it. Some people like it others don't, but it's honesty and I can always respect that.

I look at this situation entirely different then other posters who have weighed in. From time to time, WWE feels like putting Lawler into a feud, culminating in him wrestling against some heel. Otunga and McGuillicutty clearly are now out of the tag title scene, and rightfully so. I can't disagree with Lawler's assessment of them in the ring, as he does have a point in his argument. This just seems like a segue for them into their next feud. Honestly, where else do they have to go right now?

By calling out Lawler for his comments, it gives them someone to focus their frustrations on. I fully expect this to lead to a match between Lawler and one or both of these men. Lawler gets to play wrestler again, similar to his feud with Miz earlier this year. This gives Otunga/McGuillicutty the chance to get heat by facing off against a popular figure within the WWE who won't lose any heat by losing to them. That being said, if they don't dismantle Lawler they are dead in the water. Let's face it, Lawler is in his sixties and has no business being in the ring. But that certainly hasn't stopped WWE from putting him in the ring before.

Otunga and McGuillicutty are two young wrestlers portrayed as guys with egos and are out of touch with where they actually rank in the WWE. Lawler, being more of a straight laced announcer now, is simply calling them out of that. That's wrestling 101, having arrogant heels take issue with statements made by a well meaning face. There has been nothing to suggest Lawler turning heel, or managing anyone, or stepping away from the announcer's booth. It's just a set-up for feud that few, if any, people are going to want to see.

I think Jerry cutting them down will maybe lead Tungacutty into actually become good wrestlers. Otunga is the voice of the group and he needs the wrestling skills. Mike is the wrestler group and needs the mic skills. They are deff ying an yang as someone else saied. They are really bland and boring and need a good package or something to make them interesting. I think Jerry bashing them is to relate to them being former Nexus and not letting the past go. An maybe it is also a spark for them to step up there game and become better then what they are. I personally hope they improve and become a legit tag team. They just need a new package deal.

An for this I know it is irrelevant to the post but I have a question and it is bugging me.
If Mike went to his real name, and it started the whole refrence to his father being Mr. Perfect what would that do to Dolph Ziggler? Since he use's the perfection gimmick at the moment.
Hopefully this angle between otunga lawler and henning lead to the kings of wrestling making their debut and feuding with otunga and henning

Not a bad idea, the KINGS of wrestling being managed by the KING but then people would complain that it wouldn't be right because Lawler is an annoucer and not a manager and start complaining after about 2 weeks that it's getting stale or summit

Would be sweet if Lawler or even Cole could end up managing them somehow.They, like a lot of the young talent could the help/mouthpiece that a true old school type manager gives. And it's the perfect time to do something else with that crowded announce table,especially when they argue among themselves instead of what's going on in the ring.I hear people bash Booker T's commentary all the time,but at least he is trying to get the in ring talent over and not putting the focus on himself .

I don't buy any of the crap lawler says. he is a dirty old man who needs to stop with commentating already. anyway he is right about otunga and mcgillicutty.

damn why don't they let michael mcgiljfnjefne use his own name for fuck sake. I don't care baout Otunga but I think Joe hennig could really work on his skills more. Have him do some more technical stuff instead of that wwe punch kick style.

LOL i remember wen david otunga was on that program tryna find love - I love new york it was called
and now hes married to jennifer hudson and a WWE 'Superstar' Hes come far but otunga an henning are one of the most boring teams of all time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back