Jerry Lawler..... At WrestleMania??

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
There are rumours that Jerry 'the king' Lawler will wrestle for the first time in his career at WrestleMania this year.

It's hard to believe that someone who has been an active wrester for so long, and has been with WWE for almost as long, has never wrestled at the biggest event in the wrestling calender.

This thread is simple, tell me who you would pick (past or present) for Lawler to wrestle at Mania (doesn't have to be for this year's Mania btw, could be any opponent, at any Mania in history)

The only kind of match I'd like to see Lawler in is one with other legends. Yeah, he can move and keep up with the game, but it's not that interesting to see him in the ring with the likes of Miz and Orton again. I'm all for Lawler wrestling at Wrestlemania if that's what WWE want, but lets keep it realistic instead of putting him in the ring with main eventers all the time.

Well maybe if he trained alot he could take on michael cole! that would be hilarious! loser gets drafted to SD! and winner is the voice of the GM if it hasnt been revealed. Get both of them in shape have it be like the 1st or 2nd match on the card. It would make sense from all the tension between them but make it like a 6 to 7 minute match. otherwise it would suck. Plus you could have the Miz "train" cole and give both of them more heat. hell this would be a chance to change cole into the miz's manager and have Riley launch his own career.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lawler involved with Cole in some type of match. Perhaps Lawler vs a representative of Cole's choosing (not sure who, the obvious choice is Miz, but I'm hoping he'll be in a title match)? It would be great if there was some kind of stipulation, like a hair vs hair match, because there are a lot of fans out there who would love to see Cole humiliated.

Lawler is an old ass annoyance now. He was big time back in the day in Memphis, I am from the south so I know this. He has been nothing but a sad joke of himself since he became a commentator and only gets worse and outdated as time goes on past him. I do not want to see him in a match taking up time from some other wrestler at WM27. I will be there live and Lawler is not going to provide any entertainment value to me what so ever unless it is in a gimmick battle royal against other Legends.

Lawler is an old ass annoyance now. He was big time back in the day in Memphis, I am from the south so I know this. He has been nothing but a sad joke of himself since he became a commentator and only gets worse and outdated as time goes on past him. I do not want to see him in a match taking up time from some other wrestler at WM27. I will be there live and Lawler is not going to provide any entertainment value to me what so ever unless it is in a gimmick battle royal against other Legends.

Thank you, I was hoping someone would say this before me. Ill be honest, yes, Lawler was big in the 80s in the south, but to be real, WITHOUT that legacy, he would NOT be a legend. And I will say, that Lawler will take the place of being the ''Piss break'' of Wrestlemania, and the Divas the chips and dip break.

I have NO interest in Lawler wrestling at WM, But if he does, I want it to be against a wrestler like....Um....You know what, Im not going to sit here and lie, I dont want to see him wrestle anyone, I wouldnt even mind him NOT commentating anymore. I listen to raw and if I closed my eyes, it sounds like 94 still. Jeez commentary needs some new blood.

Not really any match I want so see Lawler in, I suppose they could do something inter-promotional, and have Color commentator vs. Color Commentator, Lawler vs. Striker, other than that nothing else sounds like it would be entertaining or worth taking up time on the "grandest stage of all"

Thank you, I was hoping someone would say this before me. Ill be honest, yes, Lawler was big in the 80s in the south, but to be real, WITHOUT that legacy, he would NOT be a legend

WTF? That's the most ridiculously redundant "point" I think I've ever read on this or any other forum. You basically just said, "sure, Lawler achieved legendary status in Memphis, but if he DIDNT, then he wouldnt have!"

You might as well have said that if Flair wasnt a 16 time world champion and hadnt drawn money all over the country, then he wouldnt be a legend. It's true, I guess, but it's silly to even point out.

Lawler can still work and is very over, truthfully I'd like to see him take on The Miz at Mania in a falls count anywhere match, Lawler excelled in those types of matches.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a match at Mania, but I'm afraid with all of the interference in Miz's matches that they may try to book the two of them against each other. Miz has improved and has shown he can carry Lawler in a match...but I don't think they can be good enough together to put on a Wrestlemania-quality match.

just because lawler never wrestle at the biggest stage of them all, wrestlemania, doesnt necessary mean the wwe is obligated as a sign of respect to insert him into the card. I do not see any value of a match involving lawler as he is simply not that mobile in the ring and draw little attention from the wwe universe. If lawler has the ability to wrestle as good as steamboat was at mania 25, then it is considerable to have lawler against an opponent of a micheal cole representative, which is the only storyline reasonable enough for lawler to be in. Lawler's performance on raw in the past copule of week against the likes of Miz and Riley in tag team and single matches certainly was acceptable, from a typical raw mainevent quality perspective. However, for wrestlemania, this is a whole new level and i just do not see lawler has capability to perform in a whole new level. Overall, No.

Lawler may be getting up there in age, but he can still work.
ill give you that there are worse wrestlers on the roster than him, but thats not really saying much. Any time spent with lawyer would be better off spent on someone who has potential going forward.

Personally, it looks more and more like they are setting something up with Lawler, with him still interfering with The Miz. Honestly, I can't stand it. Announcers are not supposed to get involved. I remember when Macho Man Randy Savage got involved with fighting Crush, and got into all kinds of storyline trouble, because he was an announcer, and was not supposed to interfere. A million years ago, I know, and the rules have changed (and/or are selectively enforced, like count outs), but it's just annoying. All of the problems between the two, even if there is some kind of match at a PPV or something, it doesn't feel like it's leading anywhere. I mean, say there is a match, and Jerry wins. Then what?

Personally I absolutely hated this idea from the get go, if they want him to wrestle at WM they can do it, but just think of this WWE, when you put in a "legend" to wrestle to get his "Mania Moment" your giving up a perfectly good mid-carder match Ex. Evan Bourne Vs. Rey Mysterio in a Ladder Match for the "vacant" cruiserweight title, now that sounds like Mania Moments to me, it just doesnt make any sense that they are doing this...WHO IS WITH ME?!?

I wouldn't mind seeing Lawler vs Cole in a Hair vs Hair match. They said they wanted Cole to start taking bumps and train. Plus, they have been "fueding" for quite some time now. How many wrestling fans do you think would pay to see Cole get his head shaved? I know I would. This could even be turned into a retirement angle for Lawler. It could be his one last match, on the grandest stage of them all.

How about put Jerry in the MITB Ladder Match? He put on a good show against Miz a few weeks back in a similar match. He will also have 7 other Wrestlers to carry him through it.

I think storyline wise it would be very interesting to see him win the match. On commentary every week for the matches involing the Champion. He would probably be the first to cash in and lose.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lawler vs Cole in a Hair vs Hair match. They said they wanted Cole to start taking bumps and train. Plus, they have been "fueding" for quite some time now. How many wrestling fans do you think would pay to see Cole get his head shaved? I know I would. This could even be turned into a retirement angle for Lawler. It could be his one last match, on the grandest stage of them all.

That's a pretty good idea. It would keep the interest for the match since people would love to watch Cole get pummeled unmercifully, and the hair thing would get that nice, big, end pop.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Lawler in a WM match. He's been faithful, he's been good at the sporadic moments they've taken him away from the commentary table, and I think it would be worth it to even just see the look on his face after the match was over. The genuine emotion the guy would show would be a great "feel good" moment for Mania.

I think there's a guy besides Cole for a match, though, and am surprised nobody has mentioned it in detail yet, that guy being Alex Riley.

Riley would be a perfect 2nd candidate (behind Cole) for Lawler's WM match. The stage is pretty much set already with his involvement with Miz, and it would work even from the standpoint of Cole with Cole's involvement in the whole thing as well.

Couple of different scenarios would work. Lawler could try to pick a fight with Miz again, and Miz could say he's proven himself against Lawler, he's the champ and doesn't have the time to waste on over the hill has-beens, etc. etc. and just feed him Riley in his place. Miz does that often enough so it would work fine and not need a lot of build.

Second scenario is that Lawler wants Cole in the ring, but the GM announces that it will not be Cole, but a representative of Cole's. Cole goes to Miz, who blows it off and says he can't be bothered with it. Riley pipes up and asks Miz to let him be the one to represent Cole, and you have Riley in the ring w/Cole in his corner. Boom, bam, done.

I think Riley is the better scenario for a couple of different reasons. First, I don't think Cole would be Mania ready by then, even if he worked on taking bumps, and Lawler could get his hands on Cole after the match to appease that part of audience satisfaction anyway. Kind of like when Heenan was pretty much the instigator and annoyance when he was a manager. The face would finally meet, and beat, the member of the Heenan family, and then get his hands on Bobby at the end and the crowd would go nuts. Similar situation here. Lawler gets his moment, Cole gets his comeuppance and takes a couple bumps, Lawler goes out respectfully with a nice retirement ceremony the next night on Raw, everything is covered. Hell, after Cole got his beating, it could even explain him being a genuine part of the ceremony. He could legitimately congratulate King without coming across as a dick, but as a humbled guy who gives Lawler his due.

Second reason would be that Riley needs some more in-ring time anyway. He's really not that bad from what I've seen, and him and Lawler could put on a decent match IMO. He needs the experience, it would give him a nice little boost, Lawler could go over him at Mania without people raising much of an eyebrow, plus I don't see it hurting Riley's position any either.

I find Lawler so boring in the ring and would have zero interest wrestling anyone on the roster - especially Miz as I believe the ladder match made Miz look weak. It's fair enough to make him look weak when he's against Cena or against Orton but to look weak against an OAP just devalues his title reign in my opinion.

However, the idea about him wrestle against Cole i wouldn't be entirely against, then again as others have said I think the space would be much better used for a mid card match. They claim they're building for the future so why put a match on with someone who's past it? I don't believe he could really give anyone a rub to gain any credibility. While it may be a bad example HBK - while retired - if he was to feud with del rio or someone (i know it won't happen just giving it as an example) that person would gain a lot more than Miz is gaining from his mini feud with Orton.

I've been wanting to bring this up. In fact I think it's already been brought up but no matter.I'm thinking more and more by the week this is going to become a reality, and whats more I'm in support of it happening.

Reports say that Michael Cole has been working as a referee in house shows and as part of that he has been learning to take bumps...... After Lawler lost his world title match against The Miz, the whole scenario didn't become dead and buried. In fact they bring it up often as their 2 hour programming allows, with Cole taunting Jerry saying you can't touch me or you'll be fired etc. etc. and other jabs like Lawler getting involved with the Miz feuds keeping tensions between the two broadcasting partners. And it's not hard to spot how often he has been wrestling either. He has had about as much time in matches these recent weeks as anyone on the roster, seems likely this could al be for a purpose, same purpose as to why Cole is having to take bumps now?? Very convenient if not true.

Now to factor in things like the Cole/Lawler debate has been stewing fro a couple of months now, nothing like blowing off a long feud at mania. Importantly, it is pretty unlikely that this whole thing wouldn't go somewhere. Cole cost Lawler the world title in WWE, something that has evaded him his entire career, I can't imagine that he would forget about it and subside so things were like they used to be between them, I mean would you? Lawler has gotten a big fan following these recent weeks, big big pops when he intervenes in something The Miz does or when he picks up a microphone for example. Big pops = bigger turnout, makes sense? And the two other possibly most important things.

1) Lawler is still a good worker. Compliments of being an active wrestler outside of the WWE unto this day and it has kept him in amazing condition for a guy the same age as the legendary Ric Flair who now looks god awful in the ring.

2) He is a WWE Hall of Famer, has worked for Vince a massive part of his career and yet has never had a match at mania. At this stage in his wrestling career if he gets an injury he would likely be gone for good so this is really last chance for saloon. And not to mention the fact that he clearly deserves it.

And I say if the people like him, if he can still work a match well which he has proven and if he deserves it which in my mind there is no question, then do it. Put the guy at mania in one of these grudge matches like Bret and McMahon last year and let off some steam. These matches are usually pretty poor but somehow entertaining so I'm not worried in the slightest about card space. I'd like to see it and I really think if you read all the signs, it IS a reality. (thanks CSR)

People have this silly misconception that every match at mania has to be good. BZZZZZZT WRONG! If it is entertaining and it draws enough, it's worth it's spot in the show. I second the idea of the guy somewhere above, HAIR VS HAIR MATCH...

Obviously as of late, Jerry Lawler has been mixing it up alot in the ring on Monday nights. And even when he's not, Michael Cole is constantly putting it out there how Lawler has been "thrusting himself into the spotlight as much as possible, making the show about him, making sure he gets his moment" and that sort of thing. Could this be leading into the crucial storyline that The King has always coveted that leads into a well deserved Wrestlemania match? I know some people will say this is absurd because Lawler is indeed past even being past his prime. But I had always heard about how he had at some point requested to Vince about getting the opportunity to wrestle at the Grand Daddy Of 'Em All, and kind of being led on and snubbed later regarding the subject.....if I remember correctly. I don't see how this would affect my enjoyment of the event in a negative way. Sure some people will say he's "taking somebody else's potential spot" but I really don't look at it that way. So what do you think? I am really curious......does anybody feel strongly about this subject? And if so, who could the King wrestle at Wrestlemania? His main fueds/verbal jousts seem to be against The Miz, so I'll go ahead and say Alex Riley??? I am really curious to see what people have to say.

I remember reading somewhere that Jerry Lawler wanted to have one match at WrestleMania before he retires. With all the involvement The King has been getting in the ring on Monday Nights, I wondered if this would allow him to shake the ring rust off before stepping in the ring on the grandest stage of them all.

As for who his opponent would most likely be, the most logical would be Michael Cole due to all of Cole's antics and negative talk about Lawler recently. There have also been reports of Cole learning to take bumps. Why would the WWE take time to teach him something in the ring if it wasn't going to eventually amount to anything in the future?

If I am correct, and The King faces Michael Cole at WrestleMania, I can't imaging Lawler losing, unless his career is on the line.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lawler have a match at Wrestlemania. But there isn't really anyone on the current active roster who I would like to see him face and I'm sadly not too familiar with much old school wrestling to give an opinion on any past wrestlers I'd like him to face. Of course, I think most of us can agree that we would like to see Michael Cole get what's coming to him and having the RAW GM lift the ban on physical contact between the two would be a good way (or the only way) to get them to fight each other at Wrestlemania. Sure the wrestling might be shit (mostly on Cole's part) but I would still like to see Lawler kick the tar out of Cole.

A match with Chris Jericho wouldn't be bad. At least Jericho won't put on a DUD, he has really good chemisty with legends (eg. Ricky Steamboat at Backlash 09)

Lawler is just a sad joke now has been ever since he hung his boots up,i for one have no interest in watching his match at WM,he just needs to let it go FFS!...and seriosuly a match with Micheal 'the quote' Cole,....snoozefest anyone? the man quite frankly pisses me off!!!

Every one here it's ok with Jerry Lawler being an active wrestler, having a match at Wrestlemania and FIGHTING for the World Title at the PPV before WRESTLEMANIA !

If this would happen in TNA, the eveniments in Egypt woulb be child's play comparing to the potential reaction for TNA on this forum. Lawler has 3 wins on Miz, with miz being champion, and everybody here said that's ok, good segment and things like this. The Miz has ONLY ONE clear victory in 3 months as the champion! That makes him look extremly weak and no one here wants to admit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back