Jenks' Thoughts on WZ Threads

The Dragon Saga posted about this in the TNA section, I'm just going to use the WZ article that he's talking about though.

At the PROMAX/BDA annual conference of marketing executives two weeks ago, Spike TV made it clear they intend on rebranding and trying to change its image from a station mainly targeting males 18-34 to both males and females 18-49.

The network is expecting to lose UFC programming and what this new direction change means for TNA and the weekly Impact Wrestling show is unknown. The show continues to draw well demographic wise and averages anywhere from 1.6-1.8 million viewers per week.

If Spike was to drop TNA, it would mean the end of the company unless they were able to secure another television deal. It doesn't appear likely given that it doubles the network's current average rating and is not expensive based on network standards for first-run programming.

So while it would feel like the show is safe, anything is possible with this new direction change by Spike. It should be noted that Spike made no mention at all about TNA at the conference and instead focused on other shows with a passing reference to UFC.

I see this only as a good thing for TNA. You would be stupid to lose your most viewed show in that you have no guarantee any other show could pull in the same ratings. Spike is going to appeal to males and females 18-49, but that doesn't mean all the shows have to fit that criteria. TNA brings in many male fans as it is, now Spike just needs to bring in some other shows that bring in the females and older males.

I just hope this doesn't stop TNA from being pg 14, which I don't think it will. Some of the most watched shows by adults are rated MA (Dexter, anything on HBO) Pg 14 might not be mature enough for most adult fans, not the opposite. Older fans like mature shows whether they are on cable or on the big networks. They don't like PG dialogue, they like Desperate Housewives.

Now the reason I think this is good for TNA, is because Spike is trying to become a more watched network and the more viewers they have in general, the more people will be aware of TNA. TNA is the only show on the channel that really carries it's own weight(w/ UFC gone) and it might be even more successful if on a channel that has other highly watched shows, like the USA network or TNT. I think that's why UFC is leaving Spike to begin with because the channel doesn't appeal to big enough audience.

Hopefully, Spike is successful in re-branding itself and it competes with the likes of USA, TNA and FX (a channel I think TNA would do well on.) I see it as beneficial to the growth of TNA.

And if Spike did decide to drop TNA, I don't think they would have that hard of a time finding another channel whether it's WGN, UPN, or a cable channel that's looking for a solid 1.6 - 2 million viewers a week with upside once they get going on the road.

Hell, Bischoff and Hogan are already working with TruTV so there's an option (though a horrible one.) But I think TNA is in a good position with Spike as it is and Spike probably wouldn't want to lose a media icon like Hogan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back