• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jeff Hardy's Issues Being Part Of The Story

Aberle4Life

Pre-Show Stalwart
I haven't been watching TNA regularly as of late so I could be a little off-base, but I did tune in for a bit tonight and I had previously seen it a few times since Jeff Hardy has been back...

I think it's rather foolish that TNA is using Jeff's real-life drug issues in the storylines with him. Granted, it's hard to avoid not mentioning it because of his display at the PPV before he left...but let him explain it once (which he did) and be done with it. Move on and leave it behind you if you want Jeff in your company, and just let him wrestle.

If I was TNA, I wouldn't trust Jeff to the point of talking him up as overcoming his demons. He's proven a few times in the past that he really doesn't deserve that level of trust. I sincerely hope the issues are behind him now, but if they're not...well, since TNA keeps mentioning it on television it could come back to hurt them way more than it otherwise would.

Is anyone else bothered by this? I just feel that TNA is playing with fire on this one, and it's really an unnecessary risk.

I'm a little bothered. They aren't coing out each show and saying "Jeff Hardy is a drug addict" but they keep mentioning his road to recovery. It isn't as bad as WCW making Scott Hall play an alcoholic but is isn't in the best taste

I'm of two minds.

Alot of people who watch TNA probably know about Jeff Hardy's drug problems. So, ignoring them is like ignoring, as they say, the elephant in the room.

At the same time, Jeff Hardy has not overcome his demons. It takes years to "overcome demons," and even then, an addict can still fall back to his old ways rather easily. I don't mean that as an attack on Hardy, just a fact. Addicts never lose the urge to do drugs, they just find the strength to stop.

But really what else can they do. Jeff Hardy is a huge star, and gave a piss poor performance on a PPV people paid good money to see. As you said, the current booking is better than presenting him as a habitual drug user, who will likely embarrass himself and the promotion again in the near future.

If Hardy is actually clean, and trying to move on with his life, than I have no problem with TNA giving him a push. If not, than they should just fire him. That's how I feel about it.

TNA is putting a lot of trust into Jeff Hardy. his story as he is recovering as long as he remains this way IMO is a great idea! people love it when someone is sorry and asks for another chance. people are forgiving. it works great with Hardy returning as a face.
TNA should also be doing whatever they can to be right there beside him as he continues to recover. it is worth the time as Jeff Hardy can still be the biggest star in TNA. you know he is going to get the heavyweight title back eventually, it's just a matter of time. he is maybe the biggest name in TNA. the only other wrestler who can match name value is maybe Kurt Angle. (I also think Kurt Angle should be face, and not heel).

As I mentioned in the "Can TNA Learn From WCW's Mistakes/History?" thread, we live in a new age — the digital age — of professional wrestling. That means the internet plays a much larger part than what it used to back in the 90's with internet access now being far less of a luxury and much more of a basic home accessory. Because of this, the information surrounding wrestling (and wrestlers) is no longer as interesting to fans merely from the perspective of what's in front of the curtain as much as it is behind it too (you can thank the emergence of "reality TV" for that, too).

15 years ago this would have been unheard of, tasteless and likely a violation of the unwritten laws of pro wrestling, but in the modern age where everyone already knows, it's a fantastic way for a company to take something that could potentially haunt a star and turn it into a positive spin/story that helps them to regain some of, if not all of the power they had previously lost.

So the short and sweet of it is, I'm fine with Hardy's "issues" airing as part of the storyline. It just plain works.

I can't stand Jeff Hardy. He is the ultimate spot monkey in my opinion and if he wins the TNA title at Genesis I will completely stop watching TNA.

He cannot be trusted and the fact that TNA is constantly pushing his "road to recovery" makes me feel that they are going to give him the title sooner rather than later.

I really like TNA's use of Jeff Hardy's issues into a story line. I think it's a good way to reintroduce Hardy as a face, as well as keep him in check. I think this is the best way to punish Hardy for his actions without releasing him.

My only real problem with this story is how quickly he got thrown into the world title picture. His feud with Jarrett was awesome. I kinda wish that feud could have dragged a little longer. IMO he should have started feuding with other Immortal members because he jeopardized everything they worked for.

So we're supposed to turn the other way and pretend he wasn't drugged last year? The world saw it and they know that's why he left afterwords. It would be stupid to pretend otherwise and a slap to the face of TNA's fanbase if he just came back like nothing ever happened. When Hardy came back, the fan's had all sorts of signs referencing his drug issues so basically ignoring them would be well, a slap at them. You can't ignore something like that. Especially in this day and age.

So we're supposed to turn the other way and pretend he wasn't drugged last year? The world saw it and they know that's why he left afterwords. It would be stupid to pretend otherwise and a slap to the face of TNA's fanbase if he just came back like nothing ever happened. When Hardy came back, the fan's had all sorts of signs referencing his drug issues so basically ignoring them would be well, a slap at them. You can't ignore something like that. Especially in this day and age.

I think the bigger slap in the face is giving this guy the limelight again so quickly after he didn't have the decency to stay clean. That was a slap in the face to the company, Sting and the people who ordered the PPV. I am all for giving someone another chance but how many does a man get?

I have zero problems with them using something like this if the wrestler really deserves it. I don't think Hardy does. At least not until he can stay clean. But how confident are you with Hardy staying clean?

So far it has been gold and solid writing to work on Jeff Hardy's drug issues. They are not using Hardy as a negative image by making him some druggie who can't fight his demons. They are using his story in a more positive light by portraying him as the modest face who is willing to do whatever it takes to earn back the respect from not only the locker room, but the fans as well. Just everything they have been doing with Jeff Hardy has been working and is over with the crowd because of it. And not only that, this also shows Impact as a whole in a positive light because they can take a incident like Victory Road where normally a wrestler who did what Hardy did would never see he light of day again and turned it around.

Everyone has demons they fight everyday. And being a professional wrestler doesn't help them stay on the right path either. If you need a perfect example of a man's demons getting to him, take a look at Scott Hall. The man was one of the best wrestlers of his day. But that all went away because not only could he control himself, he couldn't control what the public thought of him. Now look at Scott, I bet you all the money in my pocket right now if he has been watching Impact he would be damn proud of someone like Hardy to be able to hit rock bottom, and manage to find a way to come back as diamond.

Jeff is not perfect, but then again, nobody is. When the Victory Road Incident happened, I can tell you as a long time Hardy fan, I was completely disappointed in him. But seeing as how he is doing everything he can to prove he deserves my respect I am not going let that one incident own him and I will cheer home like I always have.

I believe Jeff Hardy's drug story is tolerable, Jeff Hardy as a wrestler is tolerable aswell. Though I'm not a huge fan of TNA, I do see their point using the story though.

i dont think hyping his road to recovery is a horrible thing, probably shouldnt be main eventing until he's proven himself a little bit but it could be worse. i think it's good to show someone trying to overcome a very public rock bottom that was hit. much better than wcw did with hall, as mentioned earlier. and much much better than what wwf did with hawk.

It's hard for them to not mention it. The fans in this day and age no damn near everything that goes on in an athletes personal life. As long as Jeff is ok with it and their not making him play a drug addict on television it's tolerable.

Didn't WWE do this with Jeff Hardy twice, once with Matt the other with CM Punk. Matt was I'm always cleaning up Jeff's mess and dealing with the fallout. CM Punk was the WWE needs a champion they could look up to one who's Straight Edge. Hardy would come back and say that he's made mistakes but he's dealing with them. The commentary would echo this about Hardy having issues and dealing with them.

This is nothing new just rehashed and taken to another level.

I think it was the right move. Not only does it automatically have a "overcoming the odds and beating your demons" stigma attached to it, but it gives Jeff additional incentive to stay clean while being given this second chance in the title hunt. As it is, he's damn lucky to still have his job and it looks like he's been coming in on time and taking this run seriously. So as long as Jeff is cool with it being put out there and he's still putting food on the table, it's all good.

Now Matt on the other hand...

After reading the previous responses, I kind of understand both those that are cool with this and against it. That being said, maybe TNA really believes that Jeff is trying to turn his life around one day at a time. Granted he had issues with this in WWE, and they gave him a title reign. That's not the issue though. Some of you feel that he shouldn't be pushed due to indiscretions from Victory Road and prior to that. In terms of using his real issue to propel the feud with Roode, WWE did the same thing with Booker T when he was challenging for the heavyweight title against HHH at WM19. I'm unaware of how many fans were disturbed by this, but I believe they wouldn't have pushed it or OK'd the storyline without making sure Booker was cool with it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this; its only an assumption). Hardy's situation is a little more serious being that he brought in his addiction to the ring. Yes, he messed up, and yes he's had plenty of chances to clean himself up. I really don't think that he's at the same point as Scott Hall, and I think right now he's in a better frame of mind than his brother Matt. In any case, none of us here should really judge the man whether you love him or hate him. If he screws up again, fire him or suspend him indefinitely. The main thing is that he doesn't bring any harm to himself or any of his opponents. I'm on the fence about using the his demons as a redemption story, but I don't outright hate it. As a person I wish him well and trust and hope he gets better over time. That also includes Matt as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back