Jeff Hardy's Drug Problems: Should They Be Featured As A Storyline On Television?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
A little while ago, I came across an article on the net. I don't know if any of this is true so just bear with me.

Former TNA production manager Randy Ricci alleges that Jeff Hardy is going to enter a rehab facility to deal with his substance abuse issues. Upon completion of his treatment, Ricci says that TNA plans to bring him back to tv as a babyface recovering from an addiction to drugs.

Personally, I don't think this is such a hot idea. In the past, the WWE has been criticized for using real life issues and situations with wrestlers to further storylines or as the centerpiece of storylines. For instance, the WWE used Hawk's alcoholism as part of a story and Eddie Guerrero's death was used as a means of providing an emotional backstory to Rey Mysterio winning the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania.

Jeff Hardy's issues with drugs have been constant fodder for wrestling journalists and fans that post in forums ever since his home was invaded and he was charged with multiple drug felonies back in September 2009. Since that time, we've watched Jeff Hardy kind of deteriorate in front of us from being a charismatic young wrestling role model to a bloated, drugged out shadow of his former self. There are at least two incidents in which Jeff Hardy has, reportedly, been under the influence of something at TNA ppvs. The most recent, of course, was at Victory Road in which it was pretty obvious to anyone that Jeff Hardy was on something. It was a huge embarassment to TNA, an insult to the fans and many saw it as an example of TNA simply not giving a damn what it's talent does as long as they're able to do their thing.

Even if Jeff Hardy is on board with TNA doing it, I don't see how TNA could avoid at least the appearance of exploiting Hardy's very serious, real life issues as a means of generating ratings.

No they shouldn't use Jeff Hardy's problems for a storyline. It would be a rip-off of the way they used Scott Hall's problems in WCW.

Disclaimer (for the crybabies): This is a dirt sheet report, I have no clue if there is any truth behind it, so everything I'm about to say falls into the realm of speculation.

Using drug-related issues to bring Jeff Hardy back is beyond fucking ridiculous. It's not like they would be digging deep into Jeff's past, it's all recent.

To be honest, I'm not sure why this guy is coming back at all. He is under indictment, he ruined an entire PPV, and he isn't a huge draw anymore. I'm sure someone will throw out some figures in regards to the Jeff Hardy action figure selling like hot cakes, and I say big fucking deal. What has he done to increase viewership? Nothing. If anything, showing his ass at Victory Road hurt the company.

He obviously has problems. How deep those problems go, I don't know, and neither does anyone else posting in this thread. But being on trial for drug use/distribution and showing up high to work shows me he has problems. Telling him, before he even goes to rehab, that this will be turned into a storyline, and he will go back to being a babyface because of it, is possibly the most idiotic way to go about handling this situation.

None of this has happened yet, so it's hard to pick at anyone, or place blame. However, if things go down this way, it will be an absolute disaster.

Maybe TNA feels they owe their fans an explanation as to why Jeffy Hardy took a huge crap on their PPV main event?

If they bring him in as a legit babyface, clean from drugs and showing he beat his addiction then by all means go for it!!! What I don't want to see on my TV is him relapsing, making a total clown of himself and putting the final nails into his legacy.

Simple answer HELL NO, It would be in plain bad taste to do that.

Obviously I don't know how much truth is behind all of this but if it is true then Jeff Hardy shouldn't be used at all. It sounds to me like they are going to use his issues as a catalyst to push him as a face again and that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. By doing that you are basically rewarding Jeff for his actions, he gets a paid vacation AND a push when he gets back? That is just a slap in the face of EVERY wrestler in the TNA locker room.

So not only is it in bad taste to do it, it also helps push a guy who quite frankly doesn't give a shit anymore and IMO has used up all of his worth.

Here are the facts: Jeff has multiple drug charges, Jeff showed up to a PPV in no shape to perform and ruined a PPV because of it, he's done this more then once and he hasn't drawn anything for TNA since he has been there.

If the facts show anything its that Hardy has become a liability and even if he goes to rehab AND gets clean you still reward him with a face turn and a main event push. If Jeff does come back (which he shouldn't) then he should have to start from the bottom to teach him a lesson, not give him a main program.

I hope this is all a hoax but considering who is writing TNA and the people running it I have a gut feeling that this is all true and WILL happen. I'm just glad I stopped watching TNA so I don't have to put up with this god awful storyline.

Why the hell not? It's such a good concept and it sends a great message out there. So many people can relate. The guy had a problem, he's trying to deal with it, trying to get clean. What's wrong with that? If Hardy is okay with it, then I say do it, screw the IWC. Screw us. We never knew shit. Both supporters and haters. Do it, don't even think about it.

Personally, call me crazy, but I knew TNA would do such a thing eventually and I'm looking forward to it as a fan, because I can relate to such a concept. Not me, I've never tried drugs, but my father had problems when I was about 10 years old and he went through that transition. I can remember how changed he was afterwards and how hard he was trying to get better, and he eventually did. Hasn't done anything since then, it's been 10 years, and is a changed man now.

I hope TNA does this. Fuck all the people who cry and moan that this is a personal matter or whatever. If the people involved are okay, then why are you bothered by it? Just watch the fucking show and shut up. It's a good message to spread out there after the bad one. Plus it will help Hardy go over as a major babyface and that means good business for TNA.

Bitch about it all you want, there's something about storylines based on a real problems/issues that makes them good. Perhaps it's just me. Pretty sure it is. AS LONG AS the people invovled are completely okay with it and are willing to do it, I see no reason to be mad about anything. Now if TNA forced him to do this and he's insecure about it - then it's fucking wrong and shouldn't be done. Still a good concept, but if Hardy's not okay with it then it's plain cruel.

Remember when WWE took advantage of Hardy's house burning down? They made Matt Hardy say he caused it, then there was some car crash and whatever. Did it kill the product? Hell no. It was wrong to force Matt Hardy to claim he burned Jeff's house down or whatever it was. But the idea was executed, it put Matt over as a big heel and that was about it. We all forgot about it a week later. Don't take this so seriously. You're not saints yourselves.

I won't like it if Hardy's still on drugs and this is just a storyline played off of the real thing. The only way I'll truly buy into it and get behind the guy is if he's REALLY trying to get better, in character and off character. Otherwise it's just useless and kind of fucked up. I'm having a hard time really getting fired up for storylines I've seen over and over again. I need a little realism, something to relate to, and that's what this is.

Unpopular decision - yes - but I stick with it and I hope TNA does this. I can't wait.

I honestly don't see much problems with the storyline. Is it immoral? Sure I guess depending who's looking at it. Is it unethical? I guess why not? Will it bring in ratings for the company? Very doubtful, if anything very small increase. Will it be entertaining? That people is the actual question that should be your top concerns.

Look if he does this, then that would more then likely be his choice. And if TNA is willing to do it, I say we watch the Train wreck/Entertainment unfold. If its good, then great, if it sucks, well I'm sure that everyone on the forum will go out saying, how they knew that would happen. Look I'm never one to hate a storyline because from the outside it looks stupid. I didn't hate the Katy Vick storyline straight away or anything. I first let them unfold the story and present it how they wanted, and then I could say if the storyline sucked or not. And while we are on subject of storyline, It could work, itll definitely have people feel sorry for him, but in the end, in the back of there minds, they could just easily say hes a grown man, and he did it to himself. Which is why my storyline, would involve him coming back, talk about his problems, and say how Immortal pressured him into doing it all. It would be entertaining to watch him go on about, how Hogan, or Flair told him to use drugs. Pure entertainment in my book.

Look people, whether or not its immoral, or not, whether the storyline will be a bust or not. If Jeff hardy is in his right state of mind (Which I'm sure he will be come storyline time), And he's getting payed to do this job, then I have absolutely no problem with them exploiting drug use.

The more I think about this idea, the more I'm not sure which side is right. Obviously Jeff Hardy's credibility took a massive hit after the Victory Road disaster. The big question is, could Jeff Hardy even sell pay-per-views anymore at this point?

People may love a feel-good, self-help, redemption story. However, is it fair to make a profit off of Jeff Hardy's issues. Now, I'm all for it if it truly can help Jeff stay on the path of sobriety after he completes rehab. However, does Jeff really need all the extra stress, the added pressure to keep himself sober? Jeff needs to do it for himself.

This doesn't really surprise me. Since the Hogan/Bischoff era began, they seem to believe that people want storylines that are as real as possible, that rely heavily on the dirtsheets and the interviews given by others to the IWC (see Jarrett/Angle or any of the multiple interviews done calling Hogan and Bischoff greedy bastards).

The more I think about this idea, the more I'm not sure which side is right. Obviously Jeff Hardy's credibility took a massive hit after the Victory Road disaster. The big question is, could Jeff Hardy even sell pay-per-views anymore at this point?

People may love a feel-good, self-help, redemption story. However, is it fair to make a profit off of Jeff Hardy's issues. Now, I'm all for it if it truly can help Jeff stay on the path of sobriety after he completes rehab. However, does Jeff really need all the extra stress, the added pressure to keep himself sober? Jeff needs to do it for himself.

This doesn't really surprise me. Since the Hogan/Bischoff era began, they seem to believe that people want storylines that are as real as possible, that rely heavily on the dirtsheets and the interviews given by others to the IWC (see Jarrett/Angle or any of the multiple interviews done calling Hogan and Bischoff greedy bastards).

I'd just like to chime in and say that pro wrestling companies are making a profit out of pitching two men against eachother, faking a fight and having them endure massive amounts of pain on a daily basis, take them away from their homes for a long period of time and in some cases - cripple them or be the reason for their early deaths.

If you're such goodie goodie (not speaking to you, but to the people who are so appalled about such a thing), then I really don't think you should be watching wrestling to begin with. If you are, and you're okay with people fucking themselves up, jumping off high places and bleeding from the forehead, I'm pretty sure that you have no place to call something immoral. Pro wrestling is immoral to begin with in a lot of people's eyes, the non-wrestling fans.

We live in a world where Charlie Sheen's drug problem has been put on such a high pedestal that his auto-tuned video garnered around 18 million hits.

When did WRESTLING fans grow a conscience to begin with? I just don't get it. You watch people fight through pain for money and you enjoy it, but at the same time you're appalled that a personal problem of his is used in a storyline, presuming he's okay with it.

What about movies that are based on a real person/problem? I see no one crying about that.

Because exploiting real life issues with Kurt Angle was great, why no try it again.:rolleyes:

Seriously its absurd. If Hardy manages to get clean in the first place, he'd be in such a frail state of mind having his personal problems aired on tv would most likely knock him off the wagon again.

If they want to have a storyline for Jeff Hardy just say how Immortal had no more use for him and he can help battle them. Simple, works in the same way and doesn't air his problems on national television.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this being used as a storyline for TNA as long as two major aspects actually happen:

1) Jeff Hardy has to actually get clean (and remain clean). What I mean is that Jeff has to really go to rehab (for at least 30 days), then be able to pass weekly random drug tests or something like that. I'm actually hoping that Jeff will be put on probation when he goes to court later this month, and I'm also hoping that he'll go to rehab (whether it's court-ordered or not). I would imagine that a condition of Jeff's probation will include random drug-testing (probably once a week, or something), and I think that's a good thing....since TNA doesn't seem to test their performers on any set schedule.

I guess the main reason why I brought this up is because I wouldn't want to see Jeff portraying a redeemed "sober" character on TV while he's boozing or doing drugs off-camera. This would only work if Jeff is really going through the treatment.

2) Like others have already said, Jeff (and his family, etc) would have to be okay with this storyline. If Jeff's okay with it, but his wife isn't (for example) -- I'd say don't do it.

To be completely honest, I don't know if this angle would work 100%. I mean, you're basically talking about slapping CM Punk's straight-edge gimmick on Jeff freakin' Hardy. I know it's slightly different, since Punk was never an addict, but the principals of both characters would be exactly the same.

I don't think I could buy Jeff Hardy as a sober "friend of Bill W.". I think if Jeff really cleans up, it will only happen because he's trying to avoid jail-time. I think once his probation is over with the state of NC, he'll be using again immediately.

One thing I actually do like about this as a possibility for a storyline is that I don't see any other way to bring Jeff back. If this isn't addressed on television, then he's better off not returning at all. If TNA is planning on bringing him back by the end of the summer, this is the ONLY way to introduce him back to TV. If they waited until the end of the year (or until 2012) to bring him back, maybe they could count on the "real" story dying down enough to be (mostly) forgotten. I dunno, maybe it can't be forgotten at all.

The other thing I like about this storyline possibly being used is that it might actually help Jeff stay clean. Becoming responsible for his actions in such a public setting might actually help him realize that he had hit rock-bottom. Maybe the threat of being "caught" again (and having the story go public) will be enough to help him stay clean. The flip-side of that is the possibility that the pressure of being a "role-model" for recovering addicts might be too much to bear. That pressure alone might be enough to push him right back into drug/alcohol abuse. It's a double-edged sword.

Who really knows, but like I said - as long as Jeff can actually stay clean, and as long as everyone involved is okay with it, I think the pros outweigh the cons if this storyline is used.

My real opinion is that Jeff should take some MAJOR time off if he really wants to get clean. Having all of this play out on television (along with the real-life pressure of staying sober) would be a heavy burden for anyone to bear.

I don't think it's a good idea at all lets face it the chances of Hardy actually getting clean this time aren't very good. He's been struggling with drug addiction for quite some time now. He has lost his job with WWE in the past and then failed drug tests when he was brought back to WWE. He's obviously still battling drug problems to this day in TNA.

That report states that he will enter a facility to treat his drug problems. If he really wanted to be clean he would have entered rehab right after TNA sent him home. I really hope he gets clean I just don't see it happening with his track record. If by chance he does get clean the last thing he'll need is being constantly reminded of his drug use. Which doing an angle about it will remind him.

I'm not totally against him getting another chance I just think if he is brought back they shouldn't mention his past drug use. In a way I think it sends the wrong message to kids that idolized him. I've never been a fan of storylines that bring in real life issues. Whether it was WWE or TNA if I wanted to see someone struggle with addiction, love triangles or someone dealing with his ex wife being married to someone else. I'd watch reality shows, whats the point in having a creative team? If they have to pull from a wrestlers real life to get a storyline.

You know what if nothing else the embarrassment Hardy feels (assuming he cares that much anymore) would maybe be enough to get him to stay on the wagon. I love Jeff and as distasteful as this may be to to it would provide a nice way to turn Jeff face again and maybe help him with his problems. Also a face Jeff Hardy could be a good addition to the fight against Immortal. The biggest problem will be the locker room where I'm sure nobody will want to see him for the time being. Regardless of how good the return can be if the locker room is done with him he won't be around much longer and I'm sure Vince ain't interested anymore.

Been a follower on the boards for quite some time but finally decided to register since there have been a few topics that have caught my attention recently, with this being one of them.

As for this issue, at this point there does not seem to be any definite proof this is true or not but for sake of discussion let's say it is. Like some people have mentioned, I am kind of in the middle whether or not this should be turned into a storyline but I think my opinion would be based how it would be used since I think everyone can agree the most important issue here is Jeff Hardy the person, not Jeff Hardy the wrestler.

Now if they take him off television for an extended period of time until the court case is concluded, he goes to (and completes) rehab, and is clean for an extended period of time, I would see now problem in bringing him back and working him back into storylines and back into the main event. However, I would not want to see it played out in a storyline in the wrestling ring but I would rather see TNA and Hardy take a more serious approach to the issue since drug/alcohol addicition is something that has affected everyone at some point in our lives, whether it is you have battled the issues or have watched someone close to you deal with the struggles of addiction.

If I was involved in TNA, my idea would have Jeff Hardy get back in the ring to compete and keep the issue out of in ring storylines but have a series of more serious interviews with him to discuss what he has been through and how it has changed his perspective on life. I think by doing that the issue is dealt with in an upfront way, he may (or may not) gain respect from coming clean and this could help him turn back into a face (if that's what TNA wants) and I think it would help address some of the issues with some of the wrestlers in the locker room. However, I think both parties would have to understand that Hardy would be on a very short string and if he begins going back down that road he is done with the company.

Just my two cents on the issue...

My personal take is that Jeff Hardy has f***ed his life up in such a public manner, it's impossible to bring him back and NOT address his drug problem. This is a genuine situation that has affected his performance infront of the entire world. If he's ever to appear on TNA programming again, he needs to be upfront and apologetic.

No because has there been a recent storyline of this nature to be good? 2 examples come to my head Scott Hall and L.O.D and both of them were terrible and were just a painful watch. When you make light of a wrestler's issues 95% of the time the storyline bombs.

It's not a terrible idea. People love a recovery story, and if done well it would get some legit rallying behind Jeff Hardy. As long as Jeff is committed to a real life rehabilitation, then the storyline doesn't hurt him or TNA.

But, allow me to play devils advocate for a moment. If they do a storyline about a wrestler recovering from chronic drug use with recovery being the catalyst to a face turn, where does that put a wrestler who uses his drug use as a face characteristic? Yes, I'm talking about Rob Van Dam.

If TNA goes in this direction, they will head into a sensitive area. Do they ignore RVD's drug use, despite having brought it up on television? Or do they portray Jeff's drug use as something worse then RVD's? Or does RVD turn into a heel drug pusher trying to get Jeff back on the fix, yo?

Yes, the last one is ridiculous. My thought is that they can't bring up Jeff's drug use without RVD's coming into question.

There is no reason at all for this to happen. Let's look at this for a minute.

1. How would the fans take this? "Hey guys, we know both Jeff Hardy and we fucked up the PPV with Jeff's drug use and you all blew $40 on seeing Jeff make a fool out of himself. Now come spend ANOTHER $40 to see Jeff redeem himself as we make you pay twice to see this guy that you're now supposed to cheer!" See what I'm saying here? Hardy screwed over the fans and now we're supposed to pay to see him? You mean like we already did?

2. How do you talk to Hardy if this doesn't work? "Well Jeff, we know you're really trying to overcome your issues in real life, but on camera do you think you could act like you care a little more? I don't think the fans really believe you want to fix yourself so could you sell your overcoming your real life demons a bit harder? That would be great." So in other words, let's take this drug addict and try to make a buck off him trying to get better and put more pressure on him to beat his problems. That COULDN'T cause him to think he's failing and that there's no point in him staying clean right? Nah.

3. How do you handle it if Jeff relapses? What if Victory Road happens all over again? How do you spin a face and allegedly sober Jeff botching a second PPV because he's too stoned to stand up straight? Do you have any idea how bad the backlash would be and how stupid TNA would look?

4. How slimy does TNA look already? They're trying to use a guy who messed up a PPV main event into a draw by playing off his real life attempts at recovery. I feel like I need a shower just thinking about that. Doesn't sound right at all and I can't imagine I'm the only person that thinks that.

Anyway, in short no this shouldn't happen. Hardy should be fired in the first place, but instead TNA wants to try to use his recovery (assuming he wants to get clean) to make a profit. Think about that for a minute. What sounds like a good idea there at all?

Maybe if they do this... people will stop watching TNA all together and then they'll go out of business.

I'll be the first to say it's in the poorest of tastes to make an angle about a life and death issue such as drug abuse. Jeff Hardy has an illness. A legit illness that can KILL HIM. What if Victory Road would have ended with Jeff having a seizure in the middle of the ring and the next TNA iMPACT ends up being a tribute show to Jeff Hardy after his death? That's the kind of stupid risk TNA's taking with him.

And now, from what's being doled around the rumor mill, they want to make his struggle a story on TV. There's no way this should be done, because it makes light of a situation that's very real and very serious. TNA's one bad incident away from being shut down. And they're playing with fire in this Jeff Hardy situation and the burn they could receive from it could be irreplaceable.

It's a bad idea and in poor taste. Which means TNA will probably do this.

There is one glaring issue I have with the whole thing; what the hell would lead TNA management to believe that Jeff Hardy can get clean? We have no reason to believe he has have ever really gotten sober over the past decade, and if he has, he sure the fuck has fallen of the bandwagon a few fucking times. If he couldn't remain clean for a stay in the big leagues where he was literally on top of the world, why the hell would you do it for TNA?

TNA already crosses the line of decency all of the time, so I wouldn't really put it past them to do some shit like this as well. I don't care if they do it at this point as most of their guys are shells of their former selves so a little stab at the personal lives will likely just be numb to them. If it works, kudos to them.

No because has there been a recent storyline of this nature to be good? 2 examples come to my head Scott Hall and L.O.D and both of them were terrible and were just a painful watch. When you make light of a wrestler's issues 95% of the time the storyline bombs.

Exactly what i said earlier. If this story is true, it will be the same thing that WCW did with Scott Hall and WWE did with L.O.D so people would be bashing TNA and call it a rip-off.

No, Jeff Hardy's issues should be kept private and away from any on screen matters in TNA. His spot should be taken away and he can just be moved to somewhere else in the card doing something else, perhaps a match with someone from Immortal kicking him out but they shouldn't use any reference to his drugs on TV.

It could give the wrong impression to some wrestlers that it's possible to use drugs and still get decent storylines on TV. It would be wrong to send that message, cut him down the TNA ladder and make no mention of it.

Honestly I think if TNA is going for realism, they should make a story line out of it. Drug abuse is a real life issue and alot of people have drug problems. I think alot of people would be able to relate to the storyline because most, if not all people have been either directly or indirectly been effected by either their own drug use or the drug use of ones close to them. i think if done right, it can be one of the few storylines that has an a real emotional impact on the viewer.

I personally don't like the idea of having this real life issue come into a storyline at all. I also understand that we as fans of anyone as a celebrity (no matter how big or small) all like the come back stories and how they overcame them. If they used it in a manner that Jeff came back and apologized to everyone about his past and most recently the Victory Road PPV stating that he had gotten into some things that could have killed him and hurt someone else and said that he was on a mission to make everyone believe in him again and tried the pure route along with the random weekly drug testing done on him by TNA and if he gets on probation. As long as he puts on good shows and does nothing stupid they can use him to help with some story lines but not use his problem as the story line.

What an asinine concept! There is no way in hell that TNA should pursue such a ridiculous and exploitive storyline, and there is no way that they will. I think this would be an all-time low, even by TNA standards, which are typically pretty low.

Storylines of this nature never work, never have, never will. There is no way that Jeff Hardy should be rewarded and portrayed as a face for overcoming his personal demons. This does not belong in kayfabe wrestling story lines when it is all too true for Hardy. Personally, I think Hardy is facing jail time, and rightfully so. Even if he does not, you cannot bring his ongoing issues into a storyline. It is all bad enough to see current husbands and ex husbands having wrestling matches with custody issues at stake, but to use some sort of drug rehab as a storyline would be reprehensible.

Hardy should be considered lucky to still be employed. He has no business anywhere near the main event. He has shown that he lacks the discipline and inner strength to handle it. He should have to earn his way back into significance, and I for one don't think he will be able to do it.

TNA creative has a long history of horrible decision making. If they proceed with this storyline it will be the worst yet. And it will make my decision to stop watching TNA once and for all that much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back