• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jack Swagger the best underrated star

jared96

since swagger debuted he made a huge impact.
winning such as ecw champ, whc, money in the bank, & us title.
but still wwe dont want to push him.
last year swagger shouldve turned face after the michael cole feud.
so i think swagger could be main eventing on smackdown right now.
others feel swagger should not even be shown on tv.
what do you feel swagger should be in.:confused:

I mean , hes alright.
Don't get me wrong, swag's got talent and is former champion etc, he should remain heel in my opinion, his Mic skills are below par imo, due to his lisp(no offence) but he can cut a decent promo, I remember some were comparing him to Kurt Angle. Today that comparison seems laughable..

He's not being used correctly, but then again we are the IWC we always think that.

You say he's underrated.. well sure , he is technical, is tall and still has potential, give him some wins ,and another feud to make him relevant again.maybe zigglers breakup is what Swagger and ZigZag need. Elevate both of them, though ZigZag would benefit more(I'm happy that he's got a title shot at now way out)

Swagger needs a new theme song, and come back refreshed heel after a ziggler feud...or someone else idk

I agree he's underutilized but he doesn't connect with the fans sad to say, and it's not like he hasn't been given a chance to, as you posted about his credentials. If they do ever want to push him again I'd agree with the above poster about changing his theme song and for F*ck sake stop wearing a singlet your not Angle 2.0! or at least change the color I mean the "shark" color has got to be the ugliest attire I've ever seen since...No nothings on par with it.

If I can bring up something that might be holding him back is him talking on the mic. Not so much his actual skill , as I think he can hold his own but more of his lisp How are you suppose to take this guy seriously when he sounds like Slvester from the Looney Toon's?

WWE should sign Charlie Hass and Shelton Benjamin and make them team up with Jack Swagger and call it Team Swagger. Then they can fued with Team Lesnar which should consist of Brock Lesnar, Tensai and Antonio Cesarro.

Swagger should certainly be a bigger star than he is and he's wasted in his current role. Why they didn't have him turn on Michael Cole last year and push him hard as a babyface I do not know.

As it stands I'd say Swagger is doomed to spend the rest of his WWE carrer in and around the same spot he is now. Which is a damn shame.

Swag is actually one of my Faveorite WHCs in a Long time.

I Loved the "Attitude Change" the second he won the title, Who else has done that? Dunno what I mean? Check It!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN6kNZMlHPI

He came out as Classic Swagger, Hyped up, intense, chomping at the bit. The Second the ref counted 3, He whole...image changed. He had that Emotionless face, that slow stance and hand raise as if to say "Yes, Im better than All of you."

I LOVED That about him after he won. That Lisp is what is, and is what will Always hold him back, though He may find success with it as a face in the mid card.

Swag's got talent. He has a good amount of technical skill and you see that everytime he wrestles. His lisp is what will hold him back probably for the rest of his career. His championship run was mediocre at best though. He's not good enough in my opinion, to main event. Idk I'm just not a huge fan of his character and how they try to portray him as another Kurt Angle. If he had a character change then I might like him more. But he just doesn't matter to me at all. If I never saw Swagger on my TV screen for the rest of my life I'd have absolutely no problem with it. And I think that's how a majority of fans feel and that's not good if you're trying to get this guy to connect. Make him more interesting and maybe we'll care for him.:shrug:

Here's my random as hell idea for Jack Swagger. Have him wear a mask and adopt a a cheesy All American Super Hero gimmick and become a babyface. Midcard babyfaces are needed as there are a lot of strong midcard heels (Ziggler, Rhodes, Barrett). I don't think Swagger could ever really be a top main eventer, so this character could be perfect, provided he could pull it off (which I honestly have no idea if he could, but with that voice and goofy smile of his, it's possible). Ultimately, it's way better than being yet another generic heel with no character at all. It's a gimmick that could be very entertaining and get Swagger over.

Here's my random as hell idea for Jack Swagger. Have him wear a mask and adopt a a cheesy All American Super Hero gimmick and become a babyface. Midcard babyfaces are needed as there are a lot of strong midcard heels (Ziggler, Rhodes, Barrett). I don't think Swagger could ever really be a top main eventer, so this character could be perfect, provided he could pull it off (which I honestly have no idea if he could, but with that voice and goofy smile of his, it's possible). Ultimately, it's way better than being yet another generic heel with no character at all. It's a gimmick that could be very entertaining and get Swagger over.

May as well just bring back a newly immigrated Juan Cena. John, even though they dont bring it up much, Is that american Hero guy.

Swagger needs three things to get over -

Name Change

Attire Change

Theme Change

"Jack Swagger" just doesnt sound like someone you can take seriously.

His Attire seems to be Hiding his Intimidating Body. If he took some time off and toned up he would look like a Beast.

Check 1,2. Awww Yeaa....Eh, Its just not a good theme for a heel. Still isnt good for a face either unless they put some kind of Intro to it.

He's garbage...Boring performer, stupid costume, stupid haircut, no mic skills, no gimmick, no reason to care about him. Even when the tried to make him a big deal, it didnt work....#FutureEndeavored

WWE did everything to get this guy over and get him heat whether it was giving him a world title reign, winning MITB, "train" Michael Cole for Wrestlemania in doing so he would put J.R. in the ankle lock, and being managed by Vickie. With all that he still gets little to no heat. The guy is decent in the ring but doesn't have the it factor. I find him very boring and bland overall and I often find myself turning the channel when he is on TV.

Swagger and Vicki will cost Ziggler the title at NWO and go on to a small feud. In NY/NJ, the crowd is gonna love Dolph so Swagger will get major heat if this goes down. After that, I think he should move on to Smackdown for a little change of scenery and let Dolph do his thing on Raw. I'd like to see good things from him. They definitely missed a big opportunity last year with Cole, so hopefully the split with Dolph will be big for both sides.

Everything fell apart for Swagger before even winning the Money in the Bank. He wasn't built up to be a realistic threat for the World Heavyweight Championship at that point. He was where he is today. After he won the Money in the Bank and cashed in on Chris Jericho, he's what Daniel Bryan was -- still not believable. Sure, he defended his title successfully against Chris Jericho & Edge, and Randy Orton, but come on. His in-ring skills are certainly up to par with the main eventers, but he just doesn't have the charisma to pull off anything worth caring about. It might be due to the fact that his heel traits have worn off since ECW 'cause he's not as fresh as he used to be when he WAS on ECW. He used to be a tough opponent on that brand and went toe to toe with Christian. He had that cocky grin and the spiky hair. I hate his current 1930's old man haircut and partnership with Vickie Guerrero. Unless he does what Daniel Bryan did, I'm not gonna be surprised with him losing to random opponents on Superstars.

Yeah, Jack Swagger isn't very good. Don't get me wrong, he's serviceable, but he's not decidedly better than any of the WWE's other midcarders. Swagger has shown flashes of greatness, but he just doesn't have the consistency to perform at a high level like that. He's weak on the mic, he's good in the ring, but can bore, etc. There are a lot of issues that Swagger has to iron out before I can call him the best underrated talent that the WWE has, because as it stands right now, he's not actually very good. He needs to do something to make the fans care about him -- URGENTLY.

Had this thread been made when Swagger was making his way toward the World Heavyweight Championship, I totally would have agreed. He was flying under the radar, improving regularly, and looked like he could be a main event mainstay. Then he had a forgettable reign, the WWE didn't follow up on him, and the wheels fell off from there on. I mean, you don't often see someone who was so dominant early on in their WWE run, grabbing championships left and right, relegated to being the United States Champion... then not even really being able to make anything happen with his title, having an awful reign.

Swagger, as it stands right now, is nowhere near underrated. As a matter of fact, he may even be overrated.

I'm a huge fan of Swagger. He has a good look and can hold his own in the ring as shown by his matches with Cena and Orton. I didn't like how he fell off the face of the earth after his championship reign was over because he was somebody that could have been one of the top guys of Smackdown today. They missed the boat by not turning him face at Wrestlemania 27 and I hope that he can be a serious player in the next few years because they will need it.

Agree hes talented but i do not think he shud turn face. Why? because he talks funny and looks douchey, my point is hes VERY easy to dislike. His mic skills are also easily ridiculed so he would need a new/better manager who would talk for him. In the ring tho hes always clean but he might want to add some new high impact moves i mean the swagger-bomb is like a fat person move.I just thought of an idea lol what if they give JR his job back and instead Michael Cole can manage swagger?? that would be instant heat imagine them parading around the ring like last year?? wud be funny id watch that

No, he did not make any impact. Thats his problem- he was given three titles in three different years, but he could not strike to the viewer even on one occasion. Even if he turned face, what would he be today? Without Vickie doing the talking for him, A bigger version of Yoshi at the most. I believe Swagger needs a complete reshuffle- from gimmick to attire to entrance theme, change everything. If even that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

They rushed giving him the title. Plus, he he had some odd booking when he was champ. Orton put him over and he won clean, but then I think a week or two later Swagger jobbed to John freakin Morrison on Smackdown.

They missed the boat to try a face turn at WM with Cole. Since then he has not really done anything significant.

He needs a good manager. Vickie draws a lot of heat, but she doesn't really cut promos to help advance storylines. He needs a mouthpiece like a Heyman/Regal/Cole etc and they could just turn him into a "wrestling machine" type.

He has talent in the ring no doubt about that. His problem is he has no character or personality. He never gets any mic time on top of that. He needs to desperately change his character and his lame ass theme song. Give his character more personality and more intensity. Ever sense he won the WHC he has done nothing but go backwards. He could and should be better than he is right now. I hate to say kurt angle in the same convo as him cause i think it was those comparisons that killed him, but if he could turn up the intensity and be the guy who is suplexing guys all over the ring(kinda like angle) i think he would be a lot more entertaining.

The problem is he just doesn't have any kind of personality about him. It's like watching paint dry when he stops into the ring. Everything about him is just robotic. Sure he can do the moves but he just can't get you to care.

^ that's why the above idea of giving Swagger a mouth piece is a good idea.

**hopefully the future of Swagger will start to turn for the better when Dolph and him split up. From their, a couple of more losses and Vickie should leave him as well

which will give someone like Michael Cole the opportunity to come in and say he can turn Swagger around. Jack will be a bit reluctant at first to team with Cole, but when he starts winning

that'll seal the deal. **over the top post match celebrations by Cole & Swagger could create great heat from the crowd

I've actually got a fairly healthy amount of posts on Jack Swagger. Him and Rey Mysterio. Why, I must have made, ooh, about six posts on those two combined. I'm basically obsessed. Let's step back in time - into the recent past. There's an idea waiting to be on TV!

To go off on something of a tangent, I dislike how Swagger is the poster child for how being "hotshotted" to the title can go wrong.

First thing's first, guys like Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar won their first world championships in less time. There is nothing inherently bad about a sudden push. Quality writing and quality talent can make it work, and have made it work.

Second thing's second, Swagger's reign was actually rather good. It was a little bit chaotic and lacking direction but there are some hidden gems in there and Swagger upheld his end of the bargain admirably. Some solid little feuds - and matches - with Big Show, Morrison, Orton, Jericho, Edge, and Mysterio. Some of the state of the championship addresses drew major heat. It even featured, and this will be about the fiftieth time I've brought it up, what was one of the best promos of the year - the trophy promo. The myth that Swagger 'wasn't ready' for the title seems to stem from him being given no material to work with after his reign was over. He was allowed to fade into obscurity; he was encouraged to fade into obscurity. The reign itself was good, if a little rough around the edges, and Swagger did great with what he what he was given.

As far as I'm concerned, Jack Swagger is a good wrestler, capable of good matches and good promos, with a good character, and still some potential to realise if he's nurtured properly. His reign with the world heavyweight championship is an argument for sudden elevation, not against it.

My point is that talented wrestlers and talented writers can make sudden pushes work. Your point is, "No, you need talented wrestlers to make sudden pushes work!"? I don't see how that's contradictory.

I picked Lesnar and Angle because they were the first that came into my head but, looking back, they're pretty good examples - and quite comparable to Swagger. Two physically gifted, hugely successful amateur wrestlers.

Swagger did well with the title. That, apparently, we agree on. Afterwards, he wasn't even afforded the opportunity to stay relevant. He didn't do poorly; he didn't do anything, because he wasn't allowed to. After his rematch with Mysterio, he didn't find himself on another pay-per-view for three months and the best material he was given to work with was a couple of half feuds with MVP and then Edge. Since, he's been used to make up the numbers in team matches. You need a platform to stay over. Talent isn't enough if nobody can see you. To this day, I'm confident he'd prove to be a valuable asset if they let him - but we won't know until they do.

So, to summarise:
  • Jack Swagger is a good wrestler.
  • Swagger's skill is not just limited into "in the ring" - this is a myth which follows around many wrestlers who have reputations of being good in between the ropes.
  • Swagger is actually accomplished in the promo-making department and has proved it by cutting several very good promos and developing an interesting character.
  • Swagger has essentially been sabotaged by booking which has varied from the lackluster to the non-existent. You'd have trouble 'connecting with the audience' if you didn't have an actual storyline between your title reign and managing Michael Cole at WrestleMania.

Here's a picture:

l1c3A.jpg

I was travelling from Mexico City almost a year ago, and happened to be in the same terminal gate with Swagger, the Miz, and one of the Bella Twins (can't say which one, but damn did she look fine!). They were obviously on separate flights, but it was really interesting observing them. The Miz was well-dressed and groomed, accompanied by a stunningly beautiful woman. He looked more like a Vegas high roller than a wrestler. They sat at the gate cafe over breakfast, appearing to be at ease over a breakfast and coffee. Their flight was announced for boarding and off they went. Security checked their passports and they were waved right through. Shortly afterward, Swagger came flying through the gate area, out of breath, looking completely like a beach bum. Hair was all messed up, wearing bermuda shorts that hung down to his ass, and carrying a gym bag instead of the standard walk-on suitcase. He appeared nervous, fishing through his pockets and pacing around. Once his flight was called, guess what? Security stopped him and went through everything in his gym bag. He had to empty out his pockets and go through special screening. I think this is pretty telling about where Swagger sits in the pecking order. He is probably viewed by his superiors and colleagues exactly the same way I saw him that day in the airport. At worst he looked like he could have been on something. At best, he looked like a complete bum. Compare that perspective of him to the Miz (granted he has been backburned as of late, but at that time he was a contender for the title), and you have your answer as to why he will probably not be considered for another title run anywhere in the near future.

Asking if Swagger is the best underrated star is a tough question to answer, seeing as how WWE does the same start-and-stop pushes to alot of their talents. I do believe that Swag is being wasted in the mid-card though. He's a big, legit wrestler who has everything needed to be a main eventer. His run as WHC was really good considering most first runs suck or lack that certain something. And with all of this talk of Flair going WWE and becoming Ziggler's manager is gettin' old. How about teaming Flair w/ Swagger? Because that'd be a much better fit with Flair as the mouthpiece for Swag than Ziggler, because honestly, Ziggler could turn face and speak for himself at any point WWE chooses to put faith in him. Or WWE could simply do what they did during Swag's run as WHC, keep him as a stoic silent badass beast. That works too.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back