• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It's Over

Fuck Craig Ferguson. Circumventing Kilborn the way he did. Yes, I know Craig stepped down, but he had chosen Hal Sparks as his replacement, until CBS decided to give it to Mr. Wick.

*Gasp* How dare you insult the Ferg!!! He has the subtle asshole bit down like no other, plus he makes fun of people from the U.K. almost on a nightly basis.

As bad as I feel for Conan, him moving to FOX could be a blessing in disguise. People seem to hate on FOX for no reason; sure, they cancel shows prematurely, but Rupert Murdoch really doesn't a fuck what people on FOX's shows say, even if it's about the channel itself. How much more creative freedom could you ask for?

Yeah Conan will be great on FOX. They have a huge market anyway so the people will watch. It fits him better anyway.

I don't understand the appeal of Craig Ferguson whatsoever, and I was a big Drew Carey Show fan.

I thought Conan's previous late show had been airing at 11:35, straight after Leno's show, did his show get moved back even further? If so that's messed up.

I thought Conan's previous late show had been airing at 11:35, straight after Leno's show, did his show get moved back even further? If so that's messed up.

Yeah, here's a quick rundown:

Leno's 10 o'clock show had been failing. NBC Affliates were placing pressure on NBC because the show's low ratings also affected their news program. However, if NBC released Leno, they'd have to pay him a lot of money. They made the decision to put Leno on at 11:35, Conan would then host the Tonight Show at 12:05 (and Letterman pointed out that would make it the "Tomorrow Show"), and Fallon would get pushed to 1:05.

Conan didn't want to do that, because he wanted to be on at 11:35.

That's when things spiraled out of control, and now Leno gets rewarded for his mediocrity and going back on his word by getting the Tonight Show back.

I'm on Central Time, so I'm guessing I just add an extra hour to Conan's old time to see him now.

I agree, Leno should have just retired, I mean it's not like his show could last that much longer

Leno is garbage, and ALWAYS has been. Conan is so much better it's scary.

Shit, Leno's ratings for his Tonight show did AWFUL its first few years, it takes a few years on those kinds of shows to build up a big audience. It's not like Letterman and Leno got their whole audiences in less than the year that Conan has been given.

Such bullshit. Conan fans we should kidnap the head of NBC.

But that time slot is for 40 somethings about to sleep, not 20 somethings about to party. Jay makes more sense as far as advertisers are concerned, even if Conan is better.

Funny thing is, 17 years ago, Jay was so far behind Letterman it was funny. It took Hugh Grant and a prosty to get Jay over. Now, unfortunately, these energy drinking morons have made this such an instant gratification society that if you aren't number one immediately, you instantly suck. The lack of patience of grey area in today's world is nauseating.

Here's what I don't get now as far as Conan's fate:

Is Conan in breach of contract? Are they going to pay him what he's owed and let him go elsewhere?

I think he'll wind up on Fox by the Summer, going head to head with Leno and Letterman.

I think they gave him the option to either go on at 12:05 or leave the network. I also read that he doesn't have to go on at 12:05 and instead they'll pay him to just sit at home so that he doesn't join another network.

I'm pretty sure NBC are the ones who are in breach of contract. Although, people think Conan is in breach of contract because according to the contract, NBC can move the show back to 12:05 if they wanted. But that was just for something about sports pushing them back.

Turns out Jeff Zucker (the douchebag head of NBC) has always had problems with Conan, going back to their Harvard days. In fact, he had Conan arrested.

If it turns out that a lot of this stems from a personal grudge, Zucker should be fired as he clearly cannot run a corporation with an unbiased point of view.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/no-joke-jeff-zucker-had-conan-arrested/

It's just been brought to my attention that, while they were Harvard undergraduates, Jeff Zucker '86 called the cops on Conan O'Brien '85. (I never saw previous reports about this.) According to articles in both the Harvard Crimson and Yale Daily News, handcuffsZucker, then president of the university's Harvard Crimson daily newspaper, dispatched the police to the Harvard Lampoon office after O'Brien, who was president of the campus humor magazine, organized a prank on his college rival -- stealing an entire print run of the Crimson before it could be distributed. "He only forgave me when I gave him The Tonight Show," Zucker told a Yale gathering back in 2005. The Harvard Crimson described the incident this way in a 2004 article about Conan landing The Tonight Show courtesy of Zucker: "O’Brien cut his teeth in comedy as president of The Harvard Lampoon, a semi-secret Sorrento Square social organization that used to occasionally publish a so-called humor magazine. In fact, O’Brien first met Zucker, his current boss, one day when O’Brien and the Lampoon editors stole all the copies of that morning’s Crimson. Zucker, then Crimson President, called the police and met O’Brien face to face while he was being arrested." In 2001, Conan told The New Yorker this about the incident: "College pranks are supposed to be clever, but our rivalry with the Crimson had degenerated into us stealing something, Jeff calling the police, and the police making us haul it back," said O'Brien. (Other Lampoon pranks on Zucker included "a fake phone-sex ad with Zucker’s dorm-room phone number. Zucker did not find any of this particularly hilarious.") So what's to glean from this Harvard history lesson? Yes, Jeff Zucker was a thin-skinned prick who didn't understand comedy or know how to handle creatives even back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back