Its official: Peyton to Denver

Something to think about:

Denver led the NFL in rushing yards last year, in spite of defenses knowing that they could pretty much put 8 defenders in the box on almost every single play because they knew that Tebow's throwing wasn't much of a threat. IE, The Broncos led the NFL in rushing with everyone they played knowing full well that they were going run, run, and run some more. Now, insert Peyton Manning for Tim Tebow, and suddenly you have a deadly passing threat to keep defenses from focusing on the rush...ie, while they could get away with it against Tebow, if they try to stack the box against Manning, they are going to get destroyed, playing against average WRs or not. Manning will find the open WRs that Tebow couldn't, Manning just being there makes their WR corps better in the same way Tom Brady made stars out of Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Troy Brown.

I think we are making too big a deal out of the Broncos deficiencies on offense. A superstar QB like Manning can be a fix for a lot of problems.

I agree here. If there's anybody that can make nobodies into somebodies, it's Peyton Manning. Guys like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark were GOLD with Manning throwing to them. He's gone for one year and you barely hear from any of them.

Manning can turn Decker and Thomas into the best receivers in the league because like you said, Manning will find these guys. He has the uncanny ability to throw people open so the ball lands right where it has to be. If you thought this team was just "good" under Tebow. Imagine the damage they can do with somebody like Peyton Manning under center.

True that. This was clearly about the money for Manning, if he was interested in winning another championship he would have signed on with the Niners.

It's pretty much always about the money these days. There's no such thing as loyalty any more, with either the players or then owners. If there was, Peyton would still be a Colt.

Unfortunately, championships and loyalty take a back seat to the Benjamins these days with pretty much everyone.

John Elway was a huge factor as well. He's QB royalty and obviously played a large role in the courting of Peyton Manning. Elway knows how Manning thinks, and was obviously on the same page as him during this whole process. I'm not so sure Denver's even seriously in the Manning hunt sans Elway.

Also, the Broncos were a solid team overall last year and have now upgraded at their weakest position. They do in fact have a good O-line, and a good run game, and a great defense. Their WR's are young, sure, but to say they are terrible is a little unfair. Who have these guys had throwing to them so far in their careers? Brady Quinn? Tim Tebow? Guys like a Peyton Manning and a Tom Brady turn average guys into top guys. Manning made guys like Austin Collie and Brady made guys like Deion Branch. Without their Hall of Fame QB's, Collie (last season) and Branch (when he was with the Seahawks) fell off the face of the Earth. Just imagine what Peyton Manning can and will do for guys like Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. Do you think they're that much worse than Austin Collie? I'd say they're better. You'll certainly see a rise in their production, as the team will shift more toward the passing game.

Something to think about:

Denver led the NFL in rushing yards last year, in spite of defenses knowing that they could pretty much put 8 defenders in the box on almost every single play because they knew that Tebow's throwing wasn't much of a threat. IE, The Broncos led the NFL in rushing with everyone they played knowing full well that they were going run, run, and run some more. Now, insert Peyton Manning for Tim Tebow, and suddenly you have a deadly passing threat to keep defenses from focusing on the rush...ie, while they could get away with it against Tebow, if they try to stack the box against Manning, they are going to get destroyed, playing against average WRs or not. Manning will find the open WRs that Tebow couldn't, Manning just being there makes their WR corps better in the same way Tom Brady made stars out of Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Troy Brown.

I think we are making too big a deal out of the Broncos deficiencies on offense. A superstar QB like Manning can be a fix for a lot of problems.
As Nev said, the Broncos ran well because they ran Read Options. Manning isn't doing that, because he can't.

And Mannings receivers got famous because they had something called talent. Not just because they had a QB.
The Colts with Peyton Manning are Superbowl Contenders every year. The Colts without Manning are 2-14 team. And that is with all those weapons he has.

Curtis Fucking Painter.
Kerry Fucking Collins.
Dan Fucking Orlovsky.

THAT was the reason the Colts were 2-14, and the reason the Polians got the axe. They got fired because they are fucking stupid and never had a backup QB, and never tried to get one. Receivers can only be weapons when you have a guy that can get the ball to them. The Colts didn't have one in 2011.
The Broncos are a playoff team with Tebow. Thinking about it now, it is a scary thought how much they can improve with Manning at the helm. Manning doesn't need a great cast around him in order to get the job done. Look at the Colts now, they were on life-support for the whole season.

The Broncos were an 8-8 Playoff team because of Tim Tebow running a vastly different offense, one that Manning CANNOT run. Manning comes in and now they run a 100% different system then they were running, one that they do not have the talent to run.

I agree here. If there's anybody that can make nobodies into somebodies, it's Peyton Manning. Guys like Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark were GOLD with Manning throwing to them. He's gone for one year and you barely hear from any of them.
Orlovsky
Painter
Collins.

THat's why you "didn't hear from them." And Garcon had nearly 1000 yards with that shit throwing to him. I'd say that's hearing from him, and that's why he got paid, and that's further proof he's a good receiver.
Manning can turn Decker and Thomas into the best receivers in the league because like you said, Manning will find these guys. He has the uncanny ability to throw people open so the ball lands right where it has to be. If you thought this team was just "good" under Tebow. Imagine the damage they can do with somebody like Peyton Manning under center.
This is pathetic. You can't turn shitty slot receivers/guys that can't hang onto the ball into the best in the league just because of the QB. You need something called talent. Neither have an abundance of that.

If I'm Denver I keep Tebow for at least another year. You have to see how Peyton does that first year before sending him off. The fans will not be happy if the Broncos get rid of Tebow and Peyton comes in and either doesn't perform well or gets seriously injured.

As for as the talent in Denver... very good defense, very good OLine, good running backs, perhaps the most underrated wide receiver in the game in Eric Decker, and that's it. They do need another couple of receivers and a tight end, but I'm sure they can find something that'll work in the draft (and I think they'll definitely swoop up Dallas Clark). Besides, it's not like Peyton had all these superstars in Indy to throw to. He'll make it work if he's healthy. There's no way he would have signed with Denver if he didn't like the talent pool... he sees something in those guys, and it's best to trust his judgment.

I'm watching PTI and they summarized it very well:

Tony: Are you surprised Denver have apparently dropped their charismatic young quarterback for a 35 year old with neck injuries?

Mike: No. Not this 35 year old with neck injuries.

At the end of the day, this is Peyton Manning, not some middle of the road guy. Manning is one of the best ever and could be great.

Should be good for Denver. I don't buy that the injury will have totally ruined Manning. Should have a few strong seasons left in him.

There's no way he would have signed with Denver if he didn't like the talent pool... he sees something in those guys, and it's best to trust his judgment.

Or maybe its more likely he saw something special in regards to Denver's tremendous cap space and the money they're willing to spend.

Just saying :shrug:

Or maybe you're right, he saw something truly amazing about the potential Willis McGahee and Eric Decker brings to the table compared to the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Chris Johnson, Davone Bess, and so on and so forth

True that. This was clearly about the money for Manning, if he was interested in winning another championship he would have signed on with the Niners.

Completely shallow argument. Possible reasons Manning signed with Denver instead of San Francisco:

1) Denver is in the AFC and San Fran is NFC

2) He likes the city of Denver better than the city known as the homosexual capital of the USA.

3) He is friends and golfing buddies with Elway, and has a common bond with Elway that most other GMs and coaches can't understand.

4) Harbaugh insists on calling plays in San Francisco, whereas Manning has always called his own offense.

5) The 49ers have Michael Crabtree and Randy Moss, two guys with questionable attitudes. Perhaps Manning doesn't want to play with guys like that.

6) Denver was still a playoff team even with little in the passing game.

The idea that the only reason Manning could possibly want to sign with Denver is because of money is ludicrous. He is going to an AFC playoff caliber team, with a young and great defense, who is run by a golfing buddy of his, and where he can run the offense like he has always wanted to, without worrying about if his wide receivers are going to pout if he doesn't throw them the ball. Perhaps Manning did only sign because of the money, but until he says specifically that is the reason, there are plenty of other reasons it could be.

Or maybe its more likely he saw something special in regards to Denver's tremendous cap space and the money they're willing to spend.

Just saying :shrug:

I'm sure Tennessee could have gave him a great offer money wise, same as many other teams. This goes past money.

Or maybe you're right, he saw something truly amazing about the potential Willis McGahee and Eric Decker brings to the table compared to the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Chris Johnson, Davone Bess, and so on and so forth

Manning wanted Decker badly out of college. This has been reported. So, he sees something in him.

Plus, you forget Denver's amazing defense, and very respectable coaching staff, plus John Elway. This was definitely more than just about money.

Other half-baked theories:

- Manning didn't want to play in a division with another standout team so he went to a division that looked horrible at times last season and have not really done much upgrading in the offseason.

- Manning wanted to play in the high altitude of Denver since opposing defenses have a reputation for not being at their best in that atmosphere

- Manning likes orange and hates Jesus

Other half-baked theories:

- Manning didn't want to play in a division with another standout team so he went to a division that looked horrible at times last season and have not really done much upgrading in the offseason.

I think if that was his thought process, he'd be a San Francisco 49er as we speak.

I'm sure Tennessee could have gave him a great offer money wise, same as many other teams. This goes past money.

Manning wanted Decker badly out of college. This has been reported. So, he sees something in him.

Plus, you forget Denver's amazing defense, and very respectable coaching staff, plus John Elway. This was definitely more than just about money.

I think he's talking about cap space, not money. Or at least not the money going in to Peyton's pocket. I don't have the facts, but I think Nev is saying that he thinks Denver is more likely to spend more money to get and keep guys Manning wants to play with.

The "His daddy doesn't want him playing against his lil' brother" half-baked theory supercedes the crappy division theory.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous professional sports theories that I have ever heard in my life. We are talking about grown men here, are we not?

I would also argue that over the next three years the NFC West will be better than the clusterfuck that is the AFC West.

My apologies, I did not realize that the NFL had realignment plans over the next three years. I thought the NFC West still had and would continue to have the Rams, Seahawks, and the Cardinals in there, along with the 49ers.

Great pick up for Denver as they are now a SB contender. In terms of Peyton's decision, I thought San Fran was the best fit but I think he really wanted to stay in the AFC.

Because Manning is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game. If you get 5 years out of him, it's MORE than worth it. The Broncos weren't likely to be much more than they were this year, but with Manning, they become an instant threat to win the Super Bowl, especially if they can get someone decent to catch the ball.

Having a Hall of Fame QB for 5 years is ALWAYS better than having just a good QB for 10 years.
Arguably? Is it Brady, Manning or Montana? I said Montana and Brady fans accused me of hating Brady and lost their minds. Is it somebody not mentioned?

Manning to Denver is not a great move to me, I thought either SF or Tennessee were better options. The Titans offered him an office job after he retired. But it's his choice to make.

Actually I'd love him in Detroit as an H back. Tebow will likely end up in Miami as they are in desperate need of a qb.

Actually I'd love him in Detroit as an H back. Tebow will likely end up in Miami as they are in desperate need of a qb.
Tebow will land somewhere, he may not be a good QB but he has a lot of talent in other areas that make him a threat. I heard he might go to NE.

Tebow will land somewhere, he may not be a good QB but he has a lot of talent in other areas that make him a threat. I heard he might go to NE.

If he wants to be a starting qb then Miami is easily the best option. If he goes to New England then that is a guaranteed position change. Of course as an H back all 32 teams would be stupid to not pursue him.

Arguably? Is it Brady, Manning or Montana? I said Montana and Brady fans accused me of hating Brady and lost their minds. Is it somebody not mentioned?

Manning to Denver is not a great move to me, I thought either SF or Tennessee were better options. The Titans offered him an office job after he retired. But it's his choice to make.

Why would he want an office job with the Tennesse Titans? After he retires, he'll either eventually become a coach or get an office position with the Colts, his true NFL home, as Irsay would undoubtedly give him that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back