Its official: Peyton to Denver

Nev

Pre-Show Stalwart
As confirmed on twitter by adam schefter

Denver had the most cap flexibility and money. Peyton couldn't refuse

From a talent perspective, I find Denver to be one of the more poorer choices. Teams like seattle, kansas city, miami, and tennessee all have much better talent and upside compared to the Broncos offensive roster. I don't like this move for Peyton.

This opens a whole realm of possibilties for Tebow. His days in Denver are numbered, in my view

Discuss

If the sources are correct, then the Broncos are willing to trade Tebow and keep Peyton for 4-5 years.

Peytons an amazing QB, but he is only a band-aid fix right now for Denver. Tebow could be a long-term fix to that problem. But if the Broncos are planning on making a Superbowl run in the next 2-3 years this is good for them.

As a strong Tebow supporter, this statement is just silly.

Peyton isn't going to be in the NFL forever. He is 14 year old veteran of the game. Unless Tebow gets traded for a draft pick that leads to a better QB I don't see this as a wise move.

Peyton isn't going to be in the NFL forever. He is 14 year old veteran of the game. Unless Tebow gets traded for a draft pick that leads to a better QB I don't see this as a wise move.
Because Manning is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game. If you get 5 years out of him, it's MORE than worth it. The Broncos weren't likely to be much more than they were this year, but with Manning, they become an instant threat to win the Super Bowl, especially if they can get someone decent to catch the ball.

Having a Hall of Fame QB for 5 years is ALWAYS better than having just a good QB for 10 years.

I'm flabbergasted by this frankly. After the whole Tebow ride last season, culminating in the playoffs; Tebow's age versus Manning's; the lack of consensus about Tebow which could reduce his value as trade bait. I was confident Manning was headed to the Titans. I didn't think either the Broncos or the 49ers would tinker with Tebow or Smith.

I'm flabbergasted by this frankly. After the whole Tebow ride last season, culminating in the playoffs; Tebow's age versus Manning's; the lack of consensus about Tebow which could reduce his value as trade bait. I was confident Manning was headed to the Titans. I didn't think either the Broncos or the 49ers would tinker with Tebow or Smith.
John Elway never wanted Tim Tebow. The only way the Broncos could get rid of Tebow is by signing someone like Manning, who is clearly better.

John Elway never wanted Tim Tebow. The only way the Broncos could get rid of Tebow is by signing someone like Manning, who is clearly better.

Agreed. The only way he could dump Tebow without royally pissing off the fans was to replace him with someone who could not be argued with. Manning is that guy. There are only a few teams in the NFL where Peyton Manning, even with questionable health, isn't still automatically better than their QB. Denver certainly wasn't one of those few teams. John Elway's job is to build a Super Bowl caliber team. Peyton Manning is a clear upgrade. Like Sly, I am generally a Tebow supporter, but this is a no-brainer if you are Denver. Their team just got a lot better, assuming the deal gets done.

Assuming this deal gets done, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there's probably a good chance Denver lands Dallas Clark soon as well. They also may want to go out a grab a decent WR or two if there are any still available.

I think this is a great move for Manning and totally disagree about the Broncos having the least talent. They have a great O-line, a very good defense, and a decent running game. Add on a potential signing of Jeff Saturday, and they are a very solid team even with their lack of recievers.

I think this is a great move for Manning and totally disagree about the Broncos having the least talent. They have a great O-line, a very good defense, and a decent running game. Add on a potential signing of Jeff Saturday, and they are a very solid team even with their lack of recievers.

That's literally the exact opposite of what that dipshit Skip Bayless said:lmao:

I guess Manning doesn't like to throw to Wide Receivers that are anywhere near decent, since the Broncos have none.

Nor does he care about winning championships, since SF offered the best for that.

And it's the best move for the Broncos, since they were completely intent on shitting on Tim Tebow. Manning is the only guy they could replace Tebow with.

If you never watched a Denver game and only listened to Bayless, you'd think Tebow plays like Joe fucking Montana, the guy is so biased.

Peyton needs his weapons, my man. Not to say Denver lacks offensive talent, but compared to the other teams I'd say they're pretty inferior

Comparing the RBs from other Peyton suitors, I don't think Willis McGahee is in the same class as Jammal Charles, Marshawn Lynch, Chris Johnson, or Reggie Bush. McGahee is a decent power back that does a good job running behind his pads but he just doesn't add the dimension to an offense all those other runners have done in their careers.

Demaryius thomas is an ascending talent, but lets not put him in the same sentence (yet) as a Brandon Marshall (before he was traded), Larry Fitzgerald, Sidney Rice, Dwayne Bowe, or maybe even Kenny Britt. He's still a young, raw talent.

Plus, a lot of those teams had great inside receivers. Doug Baldwin was tremendous in his rookie year, Steve Breaston was an elite slot receiver when warner was his qb, and Davone Bess is clearly one of the best in the game.

Some of those teams have advantages at TE as well. At the moment, Dallas Clark isn't a Bronco yet and they don't have a great one on their roster.

As it stands right now, Denver just doesn't have the offensive talent those other teams do, not to be confused with saying that they have no strengths on their roster. However, perhaps a strong motivation with Peyton choosing Denver is because of their defense. With the exception of maybe Maimi, the Broncos definitely have the best defense out of all the teams that were in the Peyton chase.

I guess Manning doesn't like to throw to Wide Receivers that are anywhere near decent, since the Broncos have none.

Nor does he care about winning championships, since SF offered the best for that.

Agreed. Completely forgot about San Fran

The problem is that it's too late for Denver to get a #1 receiver. The only one that MAY be available is Mike Wallace, and he'll cost a #1 pick and franchise WR money, which Denver may not be able to do.

They should have been in on Vincent Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, and the rest of the elite WR Free Agents. They missed out, and now Manning is throwing to Eric Decker (a marginal player) and DeMarious Thomas (who very very occasionally shows flashes of brilliance, but can't hang on to a football).

Something to think about:

Denver led the NFL in rushing yards last year, in spite of defenses knowing that they could pretty much put 8 defenders in the box on almost every single play because they knew that Tebow's throwing wasn't much of a threat. IE, The Broncos led the NFL in rushing with everyone they played knowing full well that they were going run, run, and run some more. Now, insert Peyton Manning for Tim Tebow, and suddenly you have a deadly passing threat to keep defenses from focusing on the rush...ie, while they could get away with it against Tebow, if they try to stack the box against Manning, they are going to get destroyed, playing against average WRs or not. Manning will find the open WRs that Tebow couldn't, Manning just being there makes their WR corps better in the same way Tom Brady made stars out of Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Troy Brown.

I think we are making too big a deal out of the Broncos deficiencies on offense. A superstar QB like Manning can be a fix for a lot of problems.

Denver led the NFL in rushing yards last year, in spite of defenses knowing that they could pretty much put 8 defenders in the box on almost every single play because they knew that Tebow's throwing wasn't much of a threat. IE, The Broncos led the NFL in rushing with everyone they played knowing full well that they were going run, run, and run some more. Now, insert Peyton Manning for Tim Tebow, and suddenly you have a deadly passing threat to keep defenses from focusing on the rush...ie, while they could get away with it against Tebow, if they try to stack the box against Manning, they are going to get destroyed, playing against average WRs or not. Manning will find the open WRs that Tebow couldn't, Manning just being there makes their WR corps better in the same way Tom Brady made stars out of Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Troy Brown.

I think we are making too big a deal out of the Broncos deficiencies on offense. A superstar QB like Manning can be a fix for a lot of problems.

Nope. That's not possible. The receivers are average because they can't catch or they are just average. Peyton Manning can't fix average even though he is Peyton Manning.

You're right. I understand what you're saying, and nobody is doubting Peyton's abilities as a passer to elevate those around him, but that doesn't dispute that the other teams have better offensive talent, at the moment.

I also believe a large part about Denver's rushing success was due to Tebow averaging 72 rushing yards per game. Broncos also did a great job using those all those option type runs, taking advantange of undisciplined defenses. With Peyton at the helm, I think their offensive philosophy drastically changes and a result, so will their rushing numbers

Take this for what it's worth but I have a half-baked theory that that Peyton doesn't like to play against his brother (Skins, 49ers both play the Giants in 2012) and doesn't want to play against the Colts (play a ton of teams in 2012 with QB issues - Cheifs, Titans and Jets to name a few).

The only question I have in all of this pertains to Peyton's health. On one hand, they had a young healthy quarterback who excelled last year once given the opportunity. Sure he has his skeptics (including some Big Sexy ones) but I think he proved his worth and earned the opportunity to try to prove it was no fluke.

On the other hand, we have a 35 year old guy coming off major neck surgery who hasn't played in over a year. What happens as the season drags on? Or as he starts receiving significant and accumulating contact? As the weather gets colder? Will his neck hold up? Will he sustain his ever improving arm strength? And how long will he hold up? One season? Two? Or more?

Seems like a fairly risky move for a playoff caliber team. Peyton Manning is a sure fire Hall of Fame quarterback. He was clearly one of the best quarterbacks of the last decade (not named Brady). The question is, is he still? Or are his better days behind him? And what's better, a Manning potentially in decline? Or a Tebow on the way up? Time will tell I guess.

Take this for what it's worth but I have a half-baked theory that that Peyton doesn't like to play against his brother (Skins, 49ers both play the Giants in 2012) and doesn't want to play against the Colts (play a ton of teams in 2012 with QB issues - Cheifs, Titans and Jets to name a few).

You're not alone in that theory. I have read multiple reports from NFL experts that sid that his dad doesn't want him in the NFC either. He doesn't want the Manning brothers to have to go through each other to make the Super Bowl.

The Colts with Peyton Manning are Superbowl Contenders every year. The Colts without Manning are 2-14 team. And that is with all those weapons he has.

The Broncos are a playoff team with Tebow. Thinking about it now, it is a scary thought how much they can improve with Manning at the helm. Manning doesn't need a great cast around him in order to get the job done. Look at the Colts now, they were on life-support for the whole season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back