• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It Has Started! - CM Punk/Jericho

klipz.nbd

Occasional Pre-Show
I was jumping up out of my seat and yelling with joy tonight when Chris Jericho ran interference in the CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan match! It is great Jericho has dealt the first blow confirming he will be the heel, and I very much look forward to next week as we may get our first Punk/Jericho mic battle!!

No doubt they will keep things simple and quiet until Elimination Chamber when something big happens to solidify their WrestleMania match, I hope Jericho wins the title at EC, for Punk to regain at WM. Although that seems like a pointless title reign for Jericho, I just think the crowd reaction will be better when Punk wins at Mania if he has been screwed by Jericho and just won the title back.

Your thoughts on how this feud will play out?

Well for me, it'd only be logical if Jericho somehow wins it at EC by screwing Punk over.

Otherwise, given they are both in the chamber, the match at mania is weakened by the fact Jericho would have lost at the previous PPV.

I'd go some type of screwjob, with the rematch at WM28.

I'm still not hyped for this match. Tonight just proved to me that CM Punk vs Dan Bryan for the title should have happened at Mania.

I agree Jericho needs to win the title at the Elimination Chamber. Punk gets his one on one rematch at Wrestlemania.

I might be in the minority here but I wouldn't mind seeing Jericho leave WM as the champ. It will probably be his last run as champ, I hope he gets a long reign.

Hardout, Jericho has to end up with the title after EC otherwise I don't see how the feud would play out. I see a Punk v Jericho final 2 situation, with Lauranitis or a heel (if he does turn) Triple H then coming to Jericho's aid and screwing Punk. Set's up a great grudge match at WM and also it can be where the whole Punk/Big Johnny thing hits its greatest peak.

Yeah Punk v Bryan was a great match. I really think a Ziggler title match at WM would be amazing too. I think he could be a show stealer similar to HBK (obviously I'm not saying he is on Shawn's level yet im not that stupid).

yes! jericho vs punk at mania looks like a go.

i totally see jericho winning the title at EC and defending in a title rematch for punk at mania. i can't wait to see these two trade verbal blows at each other on the mic as we go down this road. its gonna be awesome.

as far as the winner at WM? i'd like to see PUNK winning his title back at WM. but also wouldnt mind seeing jericho winning it either. i'm a huge fan of both and i'm pissing my pants right now just thinking bout it.

should be match of the year.

Triple H will NOT get involved in this storyline.

Here's roughly what I believe will happen;

HHH focuses on Undertaker leaving JL as GM.
JL sucks up to Punk and gives Punk what he wants.
At EC Punk gets screwed by JL giving Y2J the title.
Punk gets his rematch at WM and wins the title back.

Specifics I have no idea about, but that's just how I see it panning out over the next 2 months.

this is my first comment on a thread so please go easy on me this time

i think punk somehow retains at ec jericho beats the out of him after the match.....setting up a grudge match between them next week on raw or the week after for the title again which doesnt give us a clear winner further intensing the rivalry and the commentary team claiming how evenly matched theese guys are and then come wm a submission match conseidering bot the guys have big submission maneuvours....where i really dont even want to think who emerges as the winner i just wish somehow they surprise us big time....

I am slightly disappointed, because this whole time i wanted Jericho vs. Undertaker. But it looks as if we will get a Taker/HHH match. They could do Jericho/Punk anytime.

BUT, i do love this. The storyline will be great and the Match will steal the show, wrestling wise.

Jericho doesn't NEED to win the title at EC nor should he. Jericho doesn't NEED to do anything or get anything anymore...he's done it all.

Punk = Best in the world
Jericho = Best at what he does

Punk and Jericho have gone back and forth on twitter, Jericho has called out Punk in some interviews, and Punk has run his mouth about being the best (all kayfabe). This feud is about one thing and one thing only...who is the "best wrestler in the world". Jericho SHOULD NOT win the title at EC and then drop it back to Punk at Mania.

NO MORE HOT POTATO WITH THE TITLE!!!!

Punk is going to hold onto the title through WM, beating Jericho and proving that he really is the best wrestler in the world.

Jericho doesn't need the rub from beating Punk and capturing the title. With that said, Punk doesn't ned it either. BUT...Punk is the future. Jericho doesn't have much ring time left so why give it to him. That'd be like if Ziggler had the title and dropped it to Foley, it just doesn't make sense.

After the feud is all said and done, I can see MAYBE, by some interference, Punk drops it to Ziggler.

Interesting development. My guess is that Jericho will probably jump Punk before the elimination chamber begins (ala Edge with Kofi Kingston). It's supposed to be Punk vs Jericho starting out the Chamber and Jericho just comes out and jumps Punk, taking him out of the chamber. This way have Jericho win the chamber then Punk comes out the next night and invokes his rematch clause at Mania.

I am not a fan of the hot potato with titles, but let's be honest guys, championship titles in sports entertainment are just props. Really it's just a way to make a wrestler look established. I do not see a scenario with Punk defending against Jericho at Mania. Maybe if Jericho wasn't in the elimination chamber I could see it. Still quite a couple weeks left before the chamber. Might as well just wait to see what pans out

let the epic mic battles commence!
i agree that jericho wins at EC cuz punk fighting to get the title back at WM is way more exciting than fighting to retain.

let the epic mic battles commence!
i agree that jericho wins at EC cuz punk fighting to get the title back at WM is way more exciting than fighting to retain.

And it makes it much more interesting if Jericho wins in some controversial manner at the EC. Either with Laurinitis's interference or something OR somehow his chamber door stays locked until all the other stars are elminated and it's down to a wounded Punk then the door mysteriously opens.

That builds up the hype for Wrestlemania moreso than Punk retaining and Jericho challenging him at Wrestlemania.

2 things I got from last nite are

1st: we finally get 2 see Jericho do something besides run around like an idiot. We get 2 see hopefully 2 of the greatest matches of all time. I always wondered if they would give Punk his own defining moment and if he beats Y2J then that puts him in line with Cena, HHH, Orton, and Jericho as the biggest stars of 2day.

2nd: am I the only 1 who noticed that WWE basically put itself in a hole by having Jericho attack Punk last nite. Now its painfully obvious that Sheamus is gnna pick D Bryan. There's no way Sheamus can pick Punk now becuz there's no way Punk vs Jericho doesn't go down at WrestleMania. They kinda told us the ending of that story already.

I don't know...

Vince wants everyone to think this is the match at Mania, but I'm not exactly convinced as of yet.

I'm sure they will fight, but I don't necessarily see it being as simple as we are trying to make it out to be here. Actually I'd be shocked if it were that simple of EC Jericho win and magical rematch at Mania for Punk... There HAS TO be another factor in this... Sheamus maybe? Who knows...

Either way, yes the Mic battles should be great!

@VinnieSunshine

I do agree Jericho doesn't NEED the title however look at the way it will play out.

EC will probably be the last opportunity for them to get the title off Punk and build another WWE Title feud before WM. That being said look at the EC participants and answer the following:

Who else could handle the title come WM? The Miz is the only person besides Jericho or Punk that they know can handle and pull off a WM Main Event.

So say they remove the title from the picture, who does The Miz face at WM? Besides Sheamus no-one else really would work. All the top Raw faces are in feuds, The Miz couldn't turn face that quick plus the only sensible choice would be R-Truth. Yes Truth and Miz did main event Survivor Series but I don't think The E has enough faith to have them feud for the title and battle it out at WM.

That means Jericho or Punk HAVE to hold the title come WM. So what's going to happen?

Punk retains at EC against 5 other guys, one of which is Jericho. Come WM Jericho takes on Punk one on one for the title he COULDN'T win even with odds against Punk?

The ONLY logical choice is put the belt on Jericho at EC with a "cheat to win" type finish and have Punk win it back.

Yes I can understand the frustration of playing hot potato with the title BUT both men are credible as champion and the unfair win doesn't discredit Punk or Jericho but it helps BOTH guys.

Jericho gets more heat having to "cheat to win" against Punk BUT can brag he's the champion and the best because he has the title and Punk doesn't. Punk can argue Jericho couldn't do it one on one or fairly but Punk has proved himself time and time again. People are then firmly behind Punk to win at WM and Jericho is doing what he did at the Rumble, putting a younger guy over.

I said yesterday i think Sheamus will battle Barrett for the WHC at mania. Meaning Barrett wins the WHC at Elimination Chamber.

I now see Bryan seeking revenge on Jericho and maybe costing Punk the title at EC because of Jealousy, bear in mind he is also claiming to be the best wrestler in the world.

Jericho v Bryan v Punk in a submission match for WWE Title???

Barrett v Sheamus for WHC ??

i would like punk to retain the title after EC time!! I really dont know which way i feel about this true Jericho has done it all in the business he is the best at what he does! Jericho i feel needs one more run at the title. If that does happen it will be his last run and i want it to be a good run.. I am going to enjoy this feud alot! I want jericho to win at EC retain at WM and then hold the title till summerslam!! These two starts should put on quite a show for us fans

I think they've introduced the feud in a very limp fashion. Now in order for Punk/Jericho to make any kind of sense they have to have Jericho win the title from Punk or have a controversial finish at Elimination Chamber and in my opinion both of those are the wrong way to take this.

HOWEVER, what they did last year made perfect sense. Announce the Elimination Chamber participants after the rumble winner has chosen which title he is going for at Wrestlemania, say Sheamus decides to go for the WHC, then Bruan would have to defend his title in the Elimination Chamber, and Punk would have a separate title match and the Raw Elimination Chamber would decide the challenger for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. It's what they did with Miz and Edge set year and I thought it worked really well, that being said the
Raw brand is a little thin on the ground this year and since Cena and Kane are both already tied up, there aren't really 7 other people who could realistically challenge Punk. However you could have Punk vs Jericho and have Jericho win via count out and then injure the winner of the Elimination Chamber... Honestly? I am intrigued as to how WWE are going to book their way out of this.

I'm happy Sheamus won the rumble. He deserved it, but the Raw title picture was so clear from the second Y2J returned I don't know what they're going to do to make the rumored card happen. Unless they swerve us and have Punk v someone else at WM

EDIT: what if they have Jericho "injure" Punk at Raw? That could get round it all if the WWE titles skips a PPV or has Punk on commentary for that match instead of competing. I think people would pay for Punk at the announce table.

am I the only 1 who noticed that WWE basically put itself in a hole by having Jericho attack Punk last nite. Now its painfully obvious that Sheamus is gnna pick D Bryan. There's no way Sheamus can pick Punk now becuz there's no way Punk vs Jericho doesn't go down at WrestleMania. They kinda told us the ending of that story already.

If you were a kid - in their target demo - and you didn't read spoiler websites that told you for months that Jericho/Punk was penciled in for 'Mania ... or you didn't realize how unlikely it is for two faces to wrestle for the belt at WrestleMania ... then you'd still think there was a chance for Punk/Shaemus at WrestleMania. You'd just think Jericho attacked Punk because of their match at Elimination Chamber.

But since you're not a kid - and you have read the spoilers on this website that have told you for months about a Jericho/Punk match at Mania ... well, then the WWE was already in a hole when it came to you, buddy. You figured out the ending to that story weeks ago.

-----

In regards to a Punk/Jericho feud:

CM Punk is an anti-authoritarian figure. He needs to feud with either authority figures or the hired guns of authority figures. That said, Chris Jericho MUST align himself with authority for this feud to truly work.

While I still believe the authority figure will be Stephanie McMahon, I do see the possibility of it being John Laurinaitis. Some might argue that JL was "fired" last night, other's might argue that Triple H never actually got the words out because of The Undertaker. Regardless of his status as Raw GM, he is still the Exec. VP of Talent Relations. We learned through Triple H's status as COO that getting "fired" from Raw doesn't strip you of your corporate title.

That said, Chris Jericho MUST align himself with authority for this feud to truly work.

That's a valid thought.....but if there's anyone in WWE who could get away with going against the norm, it's Chris Jericho.

First, there's the reality of his situation with the company; he comes and goes as he pleases after his contract is up, making it clear to Vince McMahon & friends that they need him more than he needs them. Yes, I'm talking about real life here, but I think most wrestling fans know this to be the case, the knowledge of which probably integrates the image of his on-air and off-air characters.

To that end, Jericho the wrestler can move around the company, fighting whomever he wants, and everything he does seems to work. I point to his actions during the Nexus vs. Everybody feud: one minute he's hoping Wade & Co. will go easy on him when they catch him alone, the next he's joining Cena and the good guys to oppose Nexus......but only after first turning away from the faces and acting as if he's washing his hands of the whole thing. To my mind, no one but Jericho is a strong and versatile enough character to put that kind of thing over. You figured he might turn face at any moment.....but then, no, he doesn't. The guy makes and breaks alliances in any manner he chooses as he moves through WWE.

So, I think he can fight C.M. Punk without joining the authority figures.....and if he does, we'll see Jericho as independent-minded in kayfabe as he is in real life, feuding with anyone he wants and always making it a must-see.

First time poster, long time reader

Any possibility that a plot swerve can still be set?
So we saw Jericho hitting the code breaker on Punk..
Punk could confront HHH saying JL set this up
HHH says he will monitor/overshadow JL but Punks get mouthy saying that when he was in charge he was still getting screwed over, he hasn't fired Johnny Ace yet so they must be in cahoots
HHH calls Punk paranoid and eventually setting up a feud between them
Jericho meanwhile says that hitting the codebreaker on Punk was just a statement, hes already the best in the world at what he does and doesn't need to win championships to prove that- thus goes on to challenge UT to solidify that statement..
The end of the world as you know it could mean the end of the deadman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back