Is WWE thriving or dying?

JohnJohnson

aka JuanJuanson
This is an interesting question that I began to ask myself last week. None of my coworkers still watch wrestling and a lot of them like to make fun of me for still being a wrestling fan. That's fine, I usually egg it on especially because they immediately point out that it's fake. in return I point out that so are their favorite movies and TV shows. Anyways that's not the point. The point is, while at lunch, I mentioned attending a wrestling event and one of my colleagues said something to the effect of, "What? Is wrestling still around, it hasn't died off yet? What are they hanging in there just grasping for life?" I told them no it's around and doing very well and is pretty widely accepted around the world. I told them that they are really big with social media, anti bullying, are making movies, have several celebrity appearances on the show and even musical performances. He and another coworker both agreed that that souonded more like grasping for life.

They said wrestling was biggest in the 80s and I said well it had even higher viewership and mainstream attention in the late 90s. I said the quality of wrestling has gone down but they are still thriving, which got me thinking. Is it really doing well or is it everything else keeping them afloat. It's kind of like McDonalds. They have crappy food and rather than fixing it, they spend millions on adding extra drive thrus, remodeling playgrounds, adding a cafe, replacing the menu with flat screen tvs and making the lobby look nicer. They redo designs and logs and dress everything up all the while leaving the quality of the food unchanged. This goit me thinking about WWE. WWE has the high production value, the brand recognition, the movies, the celebrities, the social media, the app, the anti bullying campaigns, the make a wish foundation and all the jazz. But what happens when you take all of those things away? You're pretty much left with TNA. TNA doesn't have the same brand recognition, because they haven't been around as long and aren't as main stream. They don't have the high production quality, the strong social media presence, the fan interactvity, the budget, charitable campaigns or the big celebrity appearances. They have to rely solely on wrestlers wehter it be matches or promos or storlines etc much like WWF back in its greatest days whether it be 80s or 90s.

Let's take for example the late 90s and early 2000s. This is not an era versus era thread. i pick this soley because this is the period with the highest ratings and mainstream attention. You can argue the WWF was more mainstream with the Hulkamania days, but they weresn't running a regular weekly show back then, and Hogan was arguably more mainstream than WWF. So we will use late 90s and early 2000s for this. Many loved this time already whether they like the Attitude Era or the Ruthless Agression Era. They had the big stars and were in mainstream media. The business was thriving and viewership was great. Many can argue that the product was far greater then than it is now. So hypothetically speaking, what if this era of wrestling had the same production value as today. The same big names and feuds but with the current arena set up and lighting, the quality of audio and visual effects, high definition and the whole Jazz. What if Wrestlemania was as big as it is now as far as the whole production, setup up, fireworks, celebrities, grandeur but with the talent of the era. Then on top of that WWE/F was also producing movies and featuring celebrities regularly on their programming, while also having their performers appear more regular on other media outlets. Add the ability to interact more with the Superstar, whether it be fan Touts shown on Raw, interactive polls, tweeting and facebooking their favorite stars etc.

Do you think that Vince would be a Billionaire or even multi Billionaire?

Would it have the same effect as taking McDonalds with all its jazz and dressing up but at the same time offering restaurant quality burgers for essentially the same price?

Is today's WWE only doing well just because all the extra stuff surrounding the wrestling product whereas ,if applying the same extra jazz, it would pale in comparrison to it's past and thus actually be dying out?

Do you think that the opposite is occuring, and all the extra stuff(except maybe for production value) is actually holding it back and smothering the product? This meaning that rather than WWE grasping for life through all the extra outlets, it's actually burrying the wrestling product in all of the extra outlets, and the company would be more prosperous and more widely know without the jazz?

I personally am starting to think that WWE isn't thriving as much as I thought they were. I do believe the company is doing very well and that is evident with the stock value, and the companies income. Business is great sure, but I am starting to think that it has become too dependent on outside celebrity appearances, social media, charity recognitions, and merchandising. The company was once able to stand on it's own too feat and prosper as a wrestling organization and now it has to lean on these crutches so to speak. I do believe that without the movies, social media, celebrites and charity the company really would be dying or at least falling. It would essentially be another TNA. i believe that if the same crutchs were applied to the past that thse eras would have significantly out done today's era. \

Opinions?

Reactions: Lee
Genuinely I wish there was a way to see the number of people that stream wrestling. Think of all the global fans that can't watch/want to watch live/etc. and all we get in the number of viewers in America on a given night. I reckon wrestling viewership is up off a few years ago but I'd be hard pressed to prove it.

Well yes, i agree that business is doing well. Yes the Wrestlemania buys are at their highest. The WWE is making a lot of money I agree with all that. I'm not saying they are hurting financially. What I'm getting at is, are they grasping at every other media outlet available as an only means of thriving? Can they do well as solely a wrestling product anymore? I pointed out in my post that they are in fact doing well, but would they be doing so well without their movies, celebrity appearances, soocial media influence and charity campaigns, reality TV shows, Youtube shows? Are they clinging on to everything not wrestling to keep the company afloat? Do you think that WWE can no longer survive on it's wrestling programming alone? That's what I'm asking. The fact that WWE is do great financially is a fact that can't be argued. I'm looking for the opinion on whether or not they are doing well just by clinging onto anything they can. I kind of see it as a person in a shipwreck clinging on to every piece of debris floating by to stay above the water because they can no longer swim on their own. And to be clear this is not a criticism on WWE, just wondering if there is anyone out there who might see it this way.:shrug:

Hard to say with great authority. WWE tried to do the guest hosting shtick a few years ago and we've reverted back from then I don't think the company has suffered for it. If the WWE is declining, and financially I'm not sure that they are, then they are doing so very gradually and slowly as TV ratings would probably suggest. Otherwise I think it's more just... floatng around getting on with it.

Your McDonald's analogy is awful. They changed the oil that the fries and nuggets are cooked in to a healthy alternative, happy meals now include the option for milk instead of soda, smaller portions of fries and automatically come with apple slices, chicken nuggets switch from random chicken meat to being all breast meat, it stopped using ammonia treated beef which as a result provides a healthier beef supply, they started offering salads and wraps as an alternative to the sandwiches on the menu.
So to say they have done nothing to fix it shows ignorance on your part. Yeah the food may not be the best but they have taken action over the years to improve on it.

As far as your co-workers go they sound ignorant to the history of the WWE.
Celebrity appearances has always been part of Vince McMahon's WWF/E. If wrestling was just hanging on then celebrities wouldn't want to appear because they wouldn't want to be associated with something that's failing.

Social media. Why wouldn't wrestling adapt to the times and take every option to increase awareness of the product? They would be stupid not to. I would argue that every industry uses social media. How is that a sign of barely holding on?

WWE Films. If a wrestling company has the money to have it's own film studio shouldn't that be an indicator that they are bringing in some money? Someone (I think it was MAC/iOS) started a thread not long ago that said WWE Films is the second highest earner for WWE. So for all the hate that WWE Films gets somebody must be watching the movies they put out.

Be A Star. This campaign teamed up with WWE because obviously they felt kids would probably know who some of the wrestlers are and would listen to what they had to say. They obviously feel the WWE has a strong enough presence in current culture that they would be a good partner.

Even if you look outside the WWE. TNA is one of the highest rated shows on Spike t.v.. Yeah Spike doesn't draw a huge number on their network but for wrestling to be one of the top shows says something for wrestling.

The wrestling industry may not be in a boom period but I also don't think it's just clinging to life.

Your McDonald's analogy is awful. They changed the oil that the fries and nuggets are cooked in to a healthy alternative, happy meals now include the option for milk instead of soda, smaller portions of fries and automatically come with apple slices, chicken nuggets switch from random chicken meat to being all breast meat, it stopped using ammonia treated beef which as a result provides a healthier beef supply, they started offering salads and wraps as an alternative to the sandwiches on the menu.
So to say they have done nothing to fix it shows ignorance on your part. Yeah the food may not be the best but they have taken action over the years to improve on it.

I'm aware of them cleaning up some of their product and making it healthier. That's fine. WWE did the same. I wasn't clear, but I wasreferring to the taste of the food. It's pretty bad compared to most other burger chains.

As far as your co-workers go they sound ignorant to the history of the WWE.
Celebrity appearances has always been part of Vince McMahon's WWF/E. If wrestling was just hanging on then celebrities wouldn't want to appear because they wouldn't want to be associated with something that's failing.

I agree my co workers are very ignorant in regards to wrestling. I do believe that celebrities would make an appearance on anything for the right price. On top of this, WWE wasn't ever failing. they have always been relatively strong. But, the debate is on what made them strong, the extra curriculars or the actual product. Yes, I know celebrities have appeared throughout history, but a few years ago we had a new one each night.

Social media. Why wouldn't wrestling adapt to the times and take every option to increase awareness of the product? They would be stupid not to. I would argue that every industry uses social media. How is that a sign of barely holding on?

I'm not disagreeing on whether or not they should. I for one think it's pretty neat. I like to use the WWE app during Raw. I like to vote in polls and watch the matches through commercial breaks. It's also great advertising. Using this doesn't mean they are barely holding on. But I sometimes wonder how much of their success they contribute to this. How well would they be thriving without it.

WWE Films. If a wrestling company has the money to have it's own film studio shouldn't that be an indicator that they are bringing in some money? Someone (I think it was MAC/iOS) started a thread not long ago that said WWE Films is the second highest earner for WWE. So for all the hate that WWE Films gets somebody must be watching the movies they put out.

Again, I'm fully aware of the fact they are bringing in a lot of money. I mentioned it many times. It's not a debate on whether or not people watch WWE films either. This is something that I think is a neat idea as well and I always point out to my friends when a movie is made by WWE. The fact that it's the second highest earner for WWE goes back to my original point. How would they be doing financially without it.

Be A Star. This campaign teamed up with WWE because obviously they felt kids would probably know who some of the wrestlers are and would listen to what they had to say. They obviously feel the WWE has a strong enough presence in current culture that they would be a good partner.

I completely agree. WWE does have a strong enough presence in pop culture that they would make a good partner. But do you think they are a strong presence in pop culture more so from airing their weekly shows, or more so from the fact that they get a lot of social media attention, feature many celebrities and produce movies. Or do you think about half and half?

Even if you look outside the WWE. TNA is one of the highest rated shows on Spike t.v.. Yeah Spike doesn't draw a huge number on their network but for wrestling to be one of the top shows says something for wrestling.

I can't say I know much about current TNA right now. I lost track of it while deployed, but I based my statements on them with the assumption that they are struggling since there appears to be lots of talk about budget cuts in the headlines here. i don't actually know how well they are doing.

The wrestling industry may not be in a boom period but I also don't think it's just clinging to life.

WWE may not be clinging to life. But could you agree that they rely on a large portion of their income from sources other than their wrestling shows?

I feel like you might have misunderstood me, which may be my fault. Sometimes my points don't come out as clear when I'm posting from work. So to be perfectly clear I'm not knocking WWE for any of those things they are doing. All of them are good ideas. I'm also not saying WWE is hurting for money either. All I'm saying is if you took all those things away, would they still be doing well?

I pointed out in my post that they are in fact doing well, but would they be doing so well without their movies, celebrity appearances, soocial media influence and charity campaigns, reality TV shows, Youtube shows?
Your understanding of the media, entertainment, business, and pop culture is seriously lacking.

It's neither. Wrestling isn't as popular as it once was, the personalities aren't as good as they once were and the story lines aren't as good as they once were so I can't say it's thriving.

With that said WWE still is the only game in town and makes a shit ton of money. Sure, they don't make as much as before but a $99 million in profit (or whatever it is) is still butt ton of money so they aren't hurting that's for sure.

I think the title of this thread is irrelevant to what the OP is trying to ask. But to be honest, I'm not quite sure what the OP is trying to ask so forgive me if this makes no sense:

WWE is fine, they we be fine if they didn't do the things mentioned. Some of those things are signs of their success, other are causes, and most are symptoms of both. Times change, WWE has done a good job changing with it. WWE would not be TNA without the bells and whistles mentioned and TNA would not be WWE if the bells and whistles were moved.

But mostly I don't understand what the OP is saying or asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back