Is Wreslemania season becoming a "down time" for WWE

roethlisberger78

Pre-Show Stalwart
With all this talk as of late with how bad the WWE product is becoming, and also dealing with all the part timers, I believe this also happened last year, and the year prior. The trend of how bad the product gets seems to now more than ever happen near WrestleMania season, so I post this questions to everyone to answer and give their opinion on this matter. Is WrestleMania season becoming a down time (or bad product) every year for the WWE, if so why do you feel that way, is it the part timers, just bad stories, or lack of what could be top talents. If you don't think its becoming a down time for the WWE let me know why.

No, it is not becoming a downtime for the WWE. The more star the power, the better in my estimation. Star power has been WWE's main issue for years now and hence why all these guys return e.g. The Rock, Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker, Jericho and now Batista. People like to complain about WWE bringing these guys back but I don't understand why, they are doing that for YOUR entertainment only. Without part timers, WrestleMania would not seel anywhere near as close to what it does WITH those part timers. The simple fact is, the part time returns are not a bad thing, they are a good thing.

Batista is actually working a full time deal with WWE so that cannot be complained about, Lesnar is very entertaining and fresh and The Undertaker is just awesome. Expect the same to happen AGAIN in 2015. The product right now is not where it should be because of bad booking reasons however, just because WWE aren't pushing Daniel Bryan as the main star and CM Punk is gone, does not mean it's a downtime. I don't know why fans STILL expected WWE were going to push Bryan as a main guy for WrestleMania, it was obvious that was NEVER going to happen. WWE fans are fucking stupid these days I swear...

No, it is not becoming a downtime for the WWE. The more star the power, the better in my estimation. Star power has been WWE's main issue for years now and hence why all these guys return e.g. The Rock, Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker, Jericho and now Batista. People like to complain about WWE bringing these guys back but I don't understand why, they are doing that for YOUR entertainment only. Without part timers, WrestleMania would not seel anywhere near as close to what it does WITH those part timers. The simple fact is, the part time returns are not a bad thing, they are a good thing.

Batista is actually working a full time deal with WWE so that cannot be complained about, Lesnar is very entertaining and fresh and The Undertaker is just awesome. Expect the same to happen AGAIN in 2015. The product right now is not where it should be because of bad booking reasons however, just because WWE aren't pushing Daniel Bryan as the main star and CM Punk is gone, does not mean it's a downtime. I don't know why fans STILL expected WWE were going to push Bryan as a main guy for WrestleMania, it was obvious that was NEVER going to happen. WWE fans are fucking stupid these days I swear...

I wish the majority of people would understand your view (and mine). Wrestlemania is for big names, not the time to put newer guys on the main event cards. I have zero interest in a majority of the full-time roster outside of maybe 5-6 guys. Punk dwindled that number.

Wrestling is a business first and foremost. And this is the time to bring in as much money as possible. Those guys bring in money. Hate on Batista as much as you want, but he'll draw more money than a Ryback or a Curtis Axel.

I don't want to see Ziggler. I don't want to see Del Rio. I want to see BIG names. I don't care if they are part-time guys.

For one night only, I will gladly take an argument between Hogan and Warrior backstage instead of Antonio Cesaro vs. Cody Rhodes "in the ring."

I wish the majority of people would understand your view (and mine). Wrestlemania is for big names, not the time to put newer guys on the main event cards. I have zero interest in a majority of the full-time roster outside of maybe 5-6 guys. Punk dwindled that number.

Wrestling is a business first and foremost. And this is the time to bring in as much money as possible. Those guys bring in money. Hate on Batista as much as you want, but he'll draw more money than a Ryback or a Curtis Axel.

I don't want to see Ziggler. I don't want to see Del Rio. I want to see BIG names. I don't care if they are part-time guys.

For one night only, I will gladly take an argument between Hogan and Warrior backstage instead of Antonio Cesaro vs. Cody Rhodes "in the ring."

You are completely right.
Wrestle Mania season is absolutely not the time to push pepole.The last time if I remember correctly that someone was pushed in the WM season and had his push successful was John Cena's and Batista's pushes in WM 21 - which was nine years ago {!} - and those were the only onces in my opinion that were successful and this is because they have charisma and a lot of talent.

Now I say with a complete think that Bryan will NOT main event in this years WM.Last year a lot of pepole said he will be in a World title match but he ended up in a Under card match {at least in my opinion} - this year he will be in a bigger match maybe against HHH or in a Six man tag match against the Wyatt's with Cena & Hogan/Warrior but he will not be in the main event of the show - which will be the time for the drawers like Cena & Lesnar & Taker & Batista to take over {as much as I hate Batista I must admit that he brings viewers}.

And that it - so don't have any giant expectations for Bryan have a major match in this years mania {as much as I would love him to have one} because he is not the right man for the job now - maybe next year he will headline but not now.

Since when does Dave Batista have the drawing power of Brock Lesnar? Let alone the Rock?

Lesnar was a smash hit for the Ultimate Fighting Championship as the popularity of the UFC soared. He was a physical freak, but a lack of technique and a very serious illness prevented him from being the king of the octagon for long.

The Rock's accomplishments are many and have been discussed at length.

Big Dave is not on the same planet as either one of these men, and the movie that is supposed to jump start his career is not even out yet. He was a decent draw as the WHC on Smackdown, and he was the WWE champion for a cup of coffee on RAW.

Daniel Bryan or no Daniel Bryan, there is very little to indicate that Batista can draw enough interest to merit the spot he has been given upon his return.

What a load of crap i'm reading here by some posters, how are you ever going to build someone if they are constantly held down by guys who appear for a couple of weeks a year and go away again.

It's a spit in the face for guys who bust there asses off all year and no thanks at the end of it. Wrestlemania is an event that makes stars born but these days wwe are using a "stick to what you know" policy. It really is sickening to watch but hey i keep watching because wrestling is my heroin.

I just hope wwe will one day stop relying on part-timers and give there full-timers the chance they need to get upto the next level

To answer the original question, no it is not becoming downtime for WWE. Wrestlemania is the biggest show of the year, and this year will receive special hype because of the launch of the WWE Network.

I just really hope that Batista - Orton is not the main event. That would be very underwhelming to say the least.

I'm not saying it's a down time, but the product is definitely different in the weeks leading up to Mania, and for some, not necessarily in a good way.

The problem I see is that all these part time superstars are coming in and not having MATCHES or even showing up on some of the big time shows before the Showcase of the Immortals. If you look at the current projected main events for Wrestlemania, and I'm not going into them all as we are all IWC here and know the speculation, Lesnar, Taker, Batista, and Triple H will not have matches in the broadcasts leading up to WM. Sure we'll get contract signings, promos, personal attacks on friends/family, maybe even some arm wrestling, but the 3 hour Raw will consist of wrestling action that is filler until April 6.

It's hard to push new talent this time of year. Mid card stars will job to the main eventers in the weeks leading up to give added rubs and lose some steam until summertime when the E is more likely to make some creative direction change.

Looking forward to the actual Mania matches themselves. Once they are set in stone, then the product becomes a LONG commercial for Mania. So I see your point.

Its the down time. All the old faces show up and hog the spotlight mostly only in promos. Wrestling gets worse because most of the tv time is taken up by guys like Batista getting promo time. Then following WM they guys all leave and usually the better matches are booked. Not to mention how badly WWE shits on tag team wrestling during the WM build up, along with shitting on the mid card & IC belt.

WM should be a time for young talents? It is pretty much three months out of the year. They have nine months to prove the part timers are not needed. The roster is fairly green, WWE standrads, and it takes years to be WM Headline material. Right now the E needs that mega star power to sell the event. They need to reach as many fans, investors, sponsors and media outlets as they possible can.

A lot of people think... THINK... they know business. Let me break it down for on the simplest level I can. Let's say you run an Indy Promotion. You could spend $10,000 booking Chris Hero, Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards. You would get a damn nice turn out and a nice show. To really maximize your profits you could take that $10,000 and bring in Kevin Nash. With Nash your gate is going to go through the roof, local media will want to talk to him and promote your event and with the talent you already have you get a nice show. The big names equal big time bucks. Oh yeah, thanks to all that big name pub the Daniel Bryan types get a major rub making them the next marketing tool.

...With Nash your gate is going to go through the roof, local media will want to talk to him and promote your event and with the talent you already have you get a nice show.

I think you're greatly overestimating the drawing power and mainstream media exposure Kevin Nash generates, but I get your point.

Here's how I look at it; having big names at Mania is one thing, main eventing is another.

For advertising purposes, it's nice having those names involved to sell PPV and Network views. Ticket sales aren't a factor because they sell out months before the average fan has any idea what matches will be on the card. But let's keep in mind that Mania always draws a large interest because it's the Super Bowl of wrestling. The event sells itself, not the names involved.

However, there's no need for these returning stars to main event. And if they do, why wouldn't it be advantageous of the 'E to push talent like DB, Reigns, etc. in front of a new audience?

And to answer the question, no, this is not a down time for the company. This is about the only time of the year they devote time to building storylines.

It is Wrestlemania the biggest ppv on the WWE calendar. While we may not all agree on whether part timers deserve to have that top spot over superstars who have worked hard all year, it is definitely logical and understandable.

Wrestlemania wouldn't attract one million buys and feel so important if it wasn't for the WWE bringing back these names with great star power and drawing ability. Do you honestly think Wrestlemania will attract 1 million buys when you have a card filled with people like Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler etc. No doubt these men are talented but they are not going to draw casual viewers into seeing Wrestlemania as a must-buy. It is only logical to have your best and most known superstars appear on your best and most know pay-per-view.

It is completely foolish to consider Wrestlemania Season a down time for the WWE. When it is their most profitable period of the year.

awesome debates, and I posted this just prior to going into work so I didn't really get the chance to put down my comments on it. I don't totally feel its a down time, for the WWE but I do see where for some it can feel that way. The live crowds are going almost crazy waiting for DB to finally get his big moment, but then I also realize that DB isn't the right person to get those who only watch wrestling once a year to purchase WrestleMania names such as Lesner, Rock, Austin and so on are those names. Also I do realize that during WrestleMania season the stories are more in depth and in most cases better than the other nine months but at the same time we've seen these big names headline WrestleMania over 10 years ago, and now they come back for big checks and it hurts those who work year around. SO to finish I understand the need for big names, and I realize you also need to grow new big names but heck I guess I'm split. I love wrestling and I love WrestleMania season but I hurts seeing those lower (still big names) getting kicked to the side. Also why cant the E put this much attention into their product all 12 months instead of 3.

The fact is that names draw, and we all know that they haven't built a new star in a while, so why not take the opportunity at Mania to create that new star?

Doesn't it make sense to showcase your next big thing when you have the largest viewership and media attention of the year? My guess is that they just aren't comfortable enough with anyone, let alone DB, to pass the torch to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back