Is there honestly anyone who was headliner material, but never got the opportunity?

In wwe/wwf? I think Chris masters, carlito, Shelton benjiman, ken shamrock, Owen hart, boogeyman deserved main event status. DDP when he was in www was fed to taker which was really sad. I think test was great. Scott Steiner was mis used.
Jake the snake. Ted dibiase. Cody Rhodes. Cesaro. Wade Barrett. Jack swagger.

In wcw the 2000 main event roster should have been.

Sting
Goldberg
Bret hart
Hogan
Mucho man
Scott Steiner
Curt hennig
Raven
Scott hall
Eddie Guerrero
Chris Benoit
Sean ohaire
Berlyn

I agree with those that named guys like Benjamin, Morrison, and Ziggler (not too late). But I have a name or two that imo the WWE dropped the ball on.

1. MVP- he debuted in 2006 with the cocky, arrogant, overpaid athlete gimmick. He worked the character to perfection. He was charismatic both in and out the ring, he could talk on the mic and he had the wrestling skills. He steadily moved up the card feuding with Kane, Benoit, and especially his excellent feud with Matt Hardy. He looked like he would eventually get to the main event level, but the E didn't view MVP as headline/main event material. So he kind of stalled and was stuck doing the same thing until he asked for his release in late 2010.

2. Val Venus- he had the look, the talent, mic skills, and charisma but he never got a chance to main event/headline.

He's been overshadowed by his gimmick, but at 20+ years in the business, I think it's very easy to forget how good Goldust is. In his mid 40s now and at 6'6, most that size would be in the twilight of their career, if not retired. He's in the best shape of his life and probably wrestling better than ever now. But wrestling wise, charisma wise, and longevity wise, I'm surprised he's never held the big title in either organization.

This is definitely an overlooked name. I think Goldust is a character they really dropped the ball on. He had a great thing going in late 1995 into 1996 and for whatever reason, they cooled his jets. I think had Goldust made his debut one year later and kept everything the same, he would've been a main eventer. Keep in mind the WWF wasn't so edgy in late 1995/early 1996 when Goldust really was at his peak as a character.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but I have to co-sign. The WWF REALLY dropped the ball with Rick Rude. I thought he was headed to a world championship eventually and they really could've solidified him as a main event player by having him instead of Sgt. Slaughter defeat the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania 7. I don't fault McMahon for running the anti-American/pro-Iraqi gimmick. I just don't think they should've made him champion. Rick Rude would've been a much better opponent for Hulk Hogan at Wrestle Mania 7 and I could see Rude having some epic feuds with Hulk, Bret Hart in particular, Mr. Perfect, the British Bulldog, Macho Man (if you thought the Rude/Jake/Cheryl Roberts thing was good, can you imagine Rude putting the moves on Miss Elizabeth?), etc. I really think he could've been an all-timer had the WWF treated him right and paid him fairly. If I remember correctly, Rude left because he didn't like his payout for Summer Slam 1990.

As for guys who didn't really sniff the main event, in the last decade my vote goes to MVP (messed up by turning him face) and Shelton Benjamin. I just don't understand the WWF's logic with those too.

Paul Orndorff. His feud with Hogan broke all sorts of attendance records and held the outdoor attendance record for years. In a land before ppv, Orndorff was the greatest challenger to Hogans WWF Title and had classic matches with Hogan.
Orndorff arguably should have won the belt at the Big Event in Toronto in 1986 then dropped the belt back to Hogan at the famous SNME cage match in Jan 1987. Following that feud, Orndorff was injured and not used really well on his return in a losing feud with the Heenan Fmaily. Jake Roberst headline many WCW ppvs in 1992

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back