Is the evil CEO/general manager gimmick overplayed at this point?

Kool Aid Man

Dark Match Winner
The Mr. McMahon character worked well to build Austin and a few others after the heat he received from the Montreal Screw job match. Having GMs for Raw and Smackdown as separate brands were decent ideas.

However, now I think wrestling can exist without all these constant rehashes of authority figures getting involved. I think they can do without corporations, firms, and administration stables or whatever they are going to call it. They can also do without some sort of vintage face wrestler coming to counter the dastardly administrator's authority as co-GM, Sheriff, Assistant Manager, or even the Assistant to the regional Manager.

Unfortunately HHH probably won't get off TV long enough to let this happen. However, I think the WWE would do better to go back to having announcements just made by the announce team for matches, and not bogging up quality air time with the same story lines of some manager screwing over talent.

I've been over the on air GM/Authority position for about a decade. The story lines are always the same and they eat up entierly too much air time. I'd like to see a real board where individuals show up at special or random times.

I totally agree with you. The evil authority idea was great at first, but now its overplayed. The story lines keep burying people (like Daniel Bryan). In my opinion the only idea that involves general managers, that would be a good storyline, would be the battle between the brands (which has been done before). Maybe a feud between 2 general manages trying to make their brand the best. If that could happen i would highly enjoy it.

Yes, the evil CEO/GM gimmick is severely overplayed, it has for years. It's ridiculous when the first 20 minutes of EVERY show starts with HHH + his wife in the ring, blabbing on about something. Bring back a Jack Tunney-like figure who is only shown (live and/or "via satellite") once in a while, and have the commentators (actually) do their job, and stick with the action/story in the ring.

This is a lesser of two evils situation. Here is why:

The evil authority figure is done a lot. Done to death. But its easy.

People love having someone to hate. Its a part of wrestling ethos. The whole idea of having someone bad in charge is that someone good will prevail. Sometimes the storylines are done brilliantly. But most of the time, they're ham and egged, and made out to be better than they are.

I'd welcome a heel authority figure if;

They waited a few years before doing another after this and if the authority figure was actually...evil. Like. If they stacked the odds against every face. Gave the heels what they wanted. Generally made asses of themselves. Instead they sit on the fence every time.

The closest they got was laurinitis in recent history. He worked because of how...bad he was. He didn't want any faces to win or any faces to get what they want. A bad guy should not sit on the fence and thats why all authority figures right now fail. They sit on the fence. They're not really...overdone. They're just not done. Properly.

Yes, the evil CEO/GM gimmick is severely overplayed, it has for years. It's ridiculous when the first 20 minutes of EVERY show starts with HHH + his wife in the ring, blabbing on about something. Bring back a Jack Tunney-like figure who is only shown (live and/or "via satellite") once in a while, and have the commentators (actually) do their job, and stick with the action/story in the ring.

I agree with you, Raw always starts with HHH and Stephanie talking about the WWE World Heavyweight championship or the next Pay-per view. Even the PPVS start off like that, and it just doesn't get you pumped up for raw, as compared to the previous years of raw.

Haha, I almost mentioned Jack Tunney. WCW had several good examples of figureheads who rarely got involved with storylines. Hell, even JJ Dillion type figure who just went around make one or two minute announcements would work.

I get that you have to have some sort of someone on TV making decisions official.

HHH and Stephanie are boring, and rob valuable air time to superstars trying to cut their teeth on the show. Unfortunately, it nearly seems like these figures have been a stable in storylines since the Attitude era.

Agree 100%. Tired of heel authority figures being the only storyline going. Dump them and bring back a straight man figurehead like Jack Tunney, and let the wrestlers develop some real feuds amongst themselves. As an added bonus we won't have to waste 20 minutes of every show on HHH and Steph stroking their own egos, which is a big reason for these angles I'm sure. At least Vince was entertaining and let guys get over on him when he did it.

Like was said above. It's too easy to make an authority figure a heel. It's cheap and easy heat but also uncreative and played out.

Does Orton go over as a heel by himself? Yes somewhat, but he has had this exhausting storyline with the administration helping him get over.

It's a cop out for the WWE to be able to produce instant heel heat by aligning them with whatever title they want to call the figurehead.

Really, nothing is going to live up to Austin\Vince anytime soon. This type of storyline happened before that & will continue in the future. It is a go-to type of filler feud. It is easy to do given every promotion has an owner\authority figure & the fans always want to see the underdog prevail against those types. Nothing revolutionary will come of 99% of them & writers should become more creative with the talent they have to come up with new ideas. In a way most storylines have been done before, it is just up to creative to put a different enough spin on them & the talent's job to make us care enough to watch.

It will never get played out.

As long as society looks like it does, the reflection of it will be in the ring.

You say that but this angle has not always been played out in the ring. Wrestling did quite well and thrived without repetitive storylines of the same CEO figurehead for years before the McMahahon Austin feud.

I hate this type of angle, Vince McMahon did it and when he did it had a novelty to it. For a time Eric Bischoff did it just as well if not better at times with the nWo. I long for the days of a Jack Tunney or Gorilla Monsoon running things again in the story lines. Your managers served the best purpose for screwing over the good guys, and that should come back at some point. But the product is changed, I don't think there really is going back.

But I hate it so much, I MEAN I TRULY HATE IT. That's just my two cents though.

It's definitely played out, and has been for years. It hasn't really been interesting to me since the first few years of Vince being the evil boss.

The ONLY exception is Stephanie. She brings a different dynamic to it, and last summer and fall she was outstanding. They kind've dialed it down since then and don't use her as much for whatever reason. But she's the only one I'd want to see as an evil heel boss these days.....I guess, because it's somewhat believable. She IS the boss, or one of them. And she's able to be extremely evil without being over the top and cartoonish about it. She's more subtle, which works better in my opinion.

Trying to recreate the magic of Vince in the late 90's-early 00's, will never work. Stephanie is the only one I've seen pull something off with a different dynamic that is also effective in drawing heat.

Stephanie is the only one I've seen pull something off with a different dynamic that is also effective in drawing heat.

I agree. I laugh my ass off when she pulls out the corporate jargon. ("Kane has a written reprimand in his performance appraisal file"). Sugarcoating stuff or making things sound more important w/ that verbiage goes on in the media, politics, and in corporate America and its funny hearing it used on a wrestling program.

I'm not in the "no more evil authority figures" camp. I just don't want anymore fake GM's/Commissioners. Whether they are "evil" like Vickie Guerrero or "nice" like Teddy Long is irrelevant to me. Their real-life power is what i care about.

I will say that at some point, the Authority will need to phase out of being on the show every week. How long can this micro-managing of who is going to be the "face of the WWE" really go on for?

Definitely ready for this concept to be retired for a while.

On top of it being overdone, they never know how to do it right.

Punk/HHH, when it first happened in 2011, should have been Austin/McMahon of the modern era and who knows how popular that angle would have been, considering how over Punk was in that time period.

Then in 2013 (and admittedly I wasn't really watching again until the RAW before the Christmas episode) they had guys like Cena and Big Show fighting "The Authority", which obviously should have been Daniel Bryan's spot.

And then, with Bryan not getting into the Rumble in favor of Batista's friend, and then Punk leaving, they had the closest thing to Montreal they're ever going to get, as far as using real life situations and heat to propel a gimmick.

It seems like to me HHH and Steph are getting all the screen time and attention a heel authority figure gets without actually being heels.

Maybe we're all speaking prematurely and they are going to do a new twist on The Authority storyline once Bryan wins the title. I could see HHH (kayfabe) seeing Bryan's rising popularity and choosing him as the "face" of the WWE and helping him win matches, doing heel shit to help Bryan and Bryan not wanting HHH's help, wanting to do things the honest way. I could even see a reformation of Evolution, minus Orton, or an nWo/Millionaire's Club type stable with HHH, Batista, and a heel Cena down the line going up against Bryan, Ziggler, Ryback, etc.; older guys vs. the new guard, closer to next years Wrestlemania, culminating in Reigns vs. a heel Cena at WM31.

Part of me thinks that those scenarios could happen. Then the logical part of me knows that the WWE's booking is just not that good.

I think the problem is that it isn't evil enough. I remember back in the days, when you had Vince holding back Austin, it wasn't just "You get the night off" or "You get no title shot". There also wasn't any signs of showing appreciation towards Austin, like the Authority did with Bryan. Vince would constantly have Austin assaulted, fired, have bounties on his head, etc. He showed a pure hatred towards Austin to the extent that he'd sell out his own family to punish Austin. Think about the whole Corporate ministry angle. The man allowed his own daughter to be abducted by an evil cult and have his wife worry and his family in jeopardy just to end up teaming with Taker to screw Austin. Or the constant affairs that he would have. I remember when his wife was paralyzed in a wheel chair and he would have her wheeled out only to prance around with Trish and make out with her. He would stop at nothing to get what he wanted. He was truly evil and it made for great TV.

Wrestling has been around for a long time now, so most of the cool ideas that come to mind must have been done at least once before... That should be okay, as long as the execution is done well. Heel general managers are one such gimmick which has been done hundreds of times, but if the performer can keep it fresh and interesting, it is always good to watch. For example, Brad Maddox's spineless suck-up heel character is entertaining because he executes it very well. On the other hand, Triple-H and Stephanie often come off as boring despite having much more TV time and experience. If we look at the other company for instance, the heel boss there is played by a terrible actress, and thus the whole thing totally falls apart. And when fans are not getting entertaining, their attention will get diverted elsewhere and they will start finding flaws. So even though the heel authority angles have always been around and always will be, its the job of the performers that play those roles, to make sure that they are bringing something new to the table, that will differentiate their character from the ones before them.

Yes, and it has been for a while. How many figureheads does WWE have now? Triple H/Stephanie? Vince (whenever he pops in)? Kane? Vickie? Brad Maddox?

Having Jack Tunney on TV once every four months to announce a major decision worked for years. Let's get the talent over, not the mouthpieces.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the time that we've seen figureheads that range from evil, good, good and competent, evil and STOOOPID, and insufferable tweener... have we seen a genuinely evil figurehead that was frighteningly GOOD at both his job and being evil?

Because you'd think THAT role was tailor made for HHH if he could just bite the freaking bullet and get off the fence. Shit, look at the storylines from Summerslam onwards- they are just SCREAMING for the type of Evil Genius that could've puppeteered his roster of wrestlers against each other while assembling his 'Face of the Brand'. Think Mr. McMahon with GREATER sense and a more dialed-down approach to his villainy.

All in all, the general manager concept as a whole has loooooooooooong since been played out. The corrupt, on-air authority figure has been around since the Monday Night Wars and has been seen in WCW, WWE, TNA, ROH and many others over the years. There's very, very, very little chance of being able to inject some fresh life into it because it's become the single most used character in pro wrestling in the past 15 years.

To me, the biggest problem with the corrupt authority figure character can come about when the character becomes such a centralized focus of what's going on and this isn't a wrestler, never was a wrestler or is too old and/or hurt to be a wrestler. Right now, for instance, in TNA, they're doing yet another corporate power struggle angle with MVP as an "investor" ultimately trying to take control of the company from Dixie Carter, with Dixie Carter as the heel. It's an angle that doesn't interest me in the least and is an example of why I haven't watched TNA in nearly 6 months. Last year, it was a biker gang trying to take over, it was a heel stable lead by Hulk Hogan & Eric Bischoff that tried to take over the year before that, now it's a 40 year old career mid-carder as the "good guy" trying to save the company from Dixie Carter. Not exactly riveting television, for me anyhow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the time that we've seen figureheads that range from evil, good, good and competent, evil and STOOOPID, and insufferable tweener... have we seen a genuinely evil figurehead that was frighteningly GOOD at both his job and being evil?

Because you'd think THAT role was tailor made for HHH if he could just bite the freaking bullet and get off the fence. Shit, look at the storylines from Summerslam onwards- they are just SCREAMING for the type of Evil Genius that could've puppeteered his roster of wrestlers against each other while assembling his 'Face of the Brand'. Think Mr. McMahon with GREATER sense and a more dialed-down approach to his villainy.

And you know that this isn't going to happen, how? I think HHH is basically the perfect Authority figure. He still likes the pops, he still likes the fans to mark out, but in the end, he likes to have to make "the hard decisions." He's basically like EVERYONE's REAL boss. Sorta likeable, but constantly screwing people over.

And you know that this isn't going to happen, how? I think HHH is basically the perfect Authority figure. He still likes the pops, he still likes the fans to mark out, but in the end, he likes to have to make "the hard decisions." He's basically like EVERYONE's REAL boss. Sorta likeable, but constantly screwing people over.

That's easy. I don't. I don't KNOW what's going to happen in the future.

However, I THINK HHH isn't going to grow into that role and this is why I think that;

-I'm very sure that the 'ongoing' story with DB is the ONLY Heel-ish part of HHH that still exists to some degree or another in the span of these eight months. You had the repeated humiliation of Big Show(which ran into a brick wall leading up to Survivor Series), and the brief feud with the Rhodes family (which seemed to peter out once Cody/Golddust took the Tag Belts from the Shield), not to mention a developing potential feud with CM Punk(which took a total nose dive after Punk walked out). After those faded away, what were they replaced with? Largely nothing. That just leaves the DB saga in the midst of largely neutral actions. The Midcard Riot was washed away like it was nothing, there was nothing at all being done with the Midcard titles other than just plain matches, and even the likes of John Cena were largely ignored even though you'd think the Ultimate Babyface would actually step up and do SOMETHING about this regime, especially if he was in direct contention to it in the Unification Bout and the Royal Rumble.
-On a further note, the relationship with Randy Orton is relatively far from stable, and that's not actually a good thing as far as drama is concerned. On the one hand, this is largely what we got past Summerslam- an endorsed Face of the Franchise who got in by his relations and not his talent and who is proving over and over again that he can't score the kind of clean win that cements his reign. And in doing so causes chafing between the Champion and his endorser, which in turn allows HHH to have a sort of Face outlook on Orton's future at the top. Unfortunately, this demeans the overall emotion of the plot because you can almost SEE the HHH jettison coming at some point, which weakens the impact when Orton finally loses.
-The notion of Faces and Heels no longer existing because of HHH has been discussed already on this board, but here's the problem with that approach in a nutshell; it's not going to produce Bad-Ass Heroes or Monstrous Villains who stomp their opponents instead of running away. It's just going to muddle the emotional impact. People think Steve Austin and The Rock were great as babyfaces because they got to be BAD ASS Babyfaces. They were great from an emotional standpoint because they had such a Heat-Catching Hive of Dastardly Deceitfulness standing opposite them. Take THAT away, put them in a largely neutral playing field dependant on one's own actions, and you get a lot of confusion and misdirection and you can't make any really investing plots because of it. And HHH is currently demonstrating why this is a misguided idea, because his Face actions are starting to cut the knees out from the Heel Role he started out with at SummerSlam, which is in turn killing off some of the inevitable payoff.
-In order for the Evil Mastermind plan to work, you do need a coherent and precise plotline laid down in advance, akin to career suicide in the world of Wrestling. A lot of things have to be changed on the fly, and when the plans are stretched out beyond a month or so, they really start to suffer (Rock/Cena anyone?). In this case, hindsight allows one to see incidents in the last several months were a smarter HHH that better embraced the evil could have manipulated and quelled rebellions and undesireables while still looking like a Face... but try making THAT happen on the fly.

No it's not, it just shows how society todays is working. The rich people rule this world, rich people get richer, poor people get more poor.

It just a reflection of society today.

It's overplayed when Triple H is the heel. He doesn't like being unpopular and putting the face over fully. He's never fully commits to being heel because he always has to pull some babyface move at the last minute so he keeps "cool". For example he comes out in a suit mostly now but he'll come out with his leather jacket every once in a while. All his stuff (entrance / attire) is designed to keep him cool while he is a heel.

Vince/JBL/Laurenitis were all good because they don't care about being cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back