WWE Is Missing The Value of Established Managers - Who Should They Be?

Who would make the best full time managers? (Pick 3, if you'd like)

• Michael Cole

• Matt Striker

• William Regal

• Santino Marella

• Jim Ross

• Colt Cabana

• CM Punk

• Booker T

Results are only viewable after voting.

ProPainScott

Dark Match Jobber
I grew up watching WWF in the late 80's and early 90's. The huge difference between the product then, compared to now, is that many wrestlers success was a direct result of the "rub" they got from their managers. In many instances, the managers would draw more heat than the actual wrestler. Today, all you get for the most part is valets. They are good eye candy, but they don't seem to have the same impact as the managers of yesteryear. There aren't any valets that have the same influence on the product as the great Sherri Martel, either.

Also, most managers were heels. I think WWE's heels could benefit greatly from establishing managers that were just as important as the wrestlers themselves. The manager concept could also evolve, and there could be some babyface managers. I'm sure this has come up in the past on the board, but I pretty much joined this forum just so I could bring up this topic. My question is... who on the current WWE roster should become a manager? I think some in ring performers could benefit from becoming managers. I will list my candidates, along with my explanation for why they would make excellent modern day managers, and maybe even go as far to suggest who they should be managing.

Here it goes...

- Michael Cole
- Matt Striker
- William Regal
- Santino Marella
- Jim Ross

Those are the five that jump out at me as potential modern day managers.

1) Michael Cole draws more heat than just about anyone in WWE. While he is certainly a valuable asset at the announcer's booth, I think if he became the #1 heel manager in WWE, his value would be even greater. He played the role of Jack Swagger's manager relatively well for a short while, but imagine if you put him with the likes of Alex Riley or Mark Henry. Or BOTH. Riley is trash on the mic. Cole could become somewhat of an agent, but he would also have the qualities of an old school manager. Between Bobby Heenan and Jimmy Hart, they managed the majority of WWF's heels in the 80's. Many of the guys were only pushed because of the heat that Heenan and Hart were drawing for them. Cole could put together the "Cole Family" similar to the Heenan family, with the likes of Jack Swaggar, Mark Henry, Alex Riley, and maybe Justin Gabriel.

One thing i've observed is that a lot of these young guys seem to have the Nexus stigma, and they can't break free from it. A talent like Justin Gabriel could benefit greatly from being surrounded by some new faces, such as Alex Riley and Mark Henry. Just to show that he is an individual. These guys would not always be together (like a stable). But they would share the connection of the "Cole Family". And just like old school WWF, when these guys need to turn face, all it takes is for them to beat the crap out of Cole. And then Cole can order another memeber of the Cole family to go after them, thus setting up a feud in a very natural way. I'd love to see Alex Riley put together a nice winning streak as a top heel, with Cole in his corner. then a year down the road, Cole does him wrong, he lays out Cole, and you have an instant Alex Riley vs Mark Henry feud that has meaning. It would give the fans a reason to cheer Riley.

2) Matt Striker. I think this guy is the most OBVIOUS choice to be a manager in WWE today. He is excellent on the mic, he has a good look, and people tend to hate him. I specifically think that Striker could manage McGillicutty and Otunga. I am glad WWE was trying to give these guys personality, but if they don't have it, they don't have it. Striker could do the talking for them initially. They would probably learn something from Striker's promos. It would also remove the Nexus stigma that I mentioned before. Striker is very underutilized in WWE. He is a good in ring talent too, so when he got involved, you wouldn't have to worry about him botching any spots. Striker would also be a good match to manage Brodus Clay in my opinion. He would build him as a monster, similar to how Paul Heyman helped build up Brock Lesnar.

3) William Regal. Regal fits as a snobby manager, who could also serve as a trainer for his talent. He came across as such on NXT, but like I said, they need to get the hell away from stigmatizing all these young wrestlers as Nexus & NXT talent. It's like an anchor tied to their ankles. Regal brings credibility to any man that he trains. Regal could be the manager for a monster like Ezekial Jackson, or he could be in the corner of a guy like Ted Dibiase. It could eventually lead to a split where he puts over Ted Dibiase. As if Ted couldn't learn enough from his dad, learning from a guy like Regal would be great too. Another obvious choice for Regal would be Drew McIntyre. I think Drew would benefit greatly from having Regal talk for him in some promos. Drew is a legitimate superstar in the making. He needs someone by his side who can talk, and that the fans will take seriously. The fans love/hate Regal. The guy draws heat, one way or the other. They need to utilize him better.

4) Santino Marella. He is meant to be a manager. It's tough to picture him as a heel as this point, but I think you could bend the rules with him and have him manage both faces and heels, and just kinda experiment with the idea of having a face manager for heel wrestlers. I could see Santino managing the likes of Brodus Clay, Tyler Reks, or even Zack Ryder or Kane. Brodus and Tyler Reks are no brainers, and they will certainly need someone to talk for them. But you could really go outsaide the box, and put Santino with Ryder or Kane. Imagine the pure hilarity that could come from Ryder hiring Santino as his manager. And Kane is kind of in no mans land as far as his charcater goes these days. Repackaging him as a comedy act with Santino would be a great way to wind down his career.

5) Finally, Good Ole JR. Jim Ross might be an odd choice for a manager at first thought, but I think JR has more credibility than any other option. He could have a huge influence on some young baby faces careers. JR could lead a movement against John Lauranitis. Everyone knows that JR was best friends with Stone Cold Steve Austin, so it's easy to believe that he could befriend some other young superstars. He could also take the role of the wrestling purist, who sticks up for these second generation superstars who are being held down. Bring back Harry Smith, and have him join up with Ted Dibiase and Joe Hennig (Michael McGillicutty) JR can talk about how he knew their fathers, and he is going to take it upon himself to represent these young stars and get them title shots and what not. It's a little far fetched, but think about it. If Ted Dibiase and Joe Hennig are being mentored and accompanied to the ring by JR, they would instantly get a bigger pop. And then when the heels get there hands on JR, Dibiase and Hennig would seek revenge for JR, and look like a hero. These guys need a personality, and they need a reason for people to care about them. All the fans care about JR.

Some other wrestlers who could use a manager are John Morrison and Cody Rhodes, but I can't decide where they fit into the equation right now. Any ideas?

A final thought... Alberto Del Rio/Ricardo Rodrigeuz are a perfect match, as well as Vickie/Ziggler. I think Ziggler is ready to move on without a manager soon though.

Another guy who should DEFINITELY be a WWE manager but is currently not under contract is COLT CABANA. He could work as a face or heel, but his mic work and presence and versatile talents translate perfectly into that of a wrestling manager. He could literally manage anyone. I picture him accompanying Air Boom to the ring. Their gimmick of happy go lucky babyfaces is really corny, but if you throw Colt Cabana with them... well they remain corny, but it would be A LOT more entertaining.
Some of you will think i'm crazy, some of you will have your own ideas and I can't wait to hear em.

If they made these 5 talents full time managers, I think it would have a huge impact on the product, and help create stars for many years to come.

You've got to much to read in that post my friend, but a few guys who'd be great managers would be Regal in a mentor style manager possibly manage Bryan, Cole would be a great manager for guys like Swagger who's not exactly the greatest mouth piece in wrestling but he's alinged himself with Vickie which is a great move, I'd like to see Jim C return he was always my favorite manager and maybe some of the Divas that lack wrestling skills would be better served in the managers role.

tbh with you mate the only man i would bring back as a manager isnt on that list..........armando estrada.

Drew heat by the bucketfull and could promo with the best of them.

Teddy Long or John Laurinaitis for me. One thing I've always enjoy in managers are managers with power. I.e. Vickie Guerrero with Edge, Stephanie McMahon with HHH. These are the kind of managers who really get into people's skin with their biased decisions. When it comes to power it doesn't get higher than these 2 with HHH and Vince McMahon both relieved of their duties. When it comes to drawing heat Laurinaitis is definitely on par with Michael Cole.

How, on earth, did the OP forget about Vickie Guerrero? The woman is a walking heat magnet. All she has to do is repeat a catch phrase and thousands of people scream for her throat. Posters here try to fluff up their own smarkdom by talking about how they love the character, but can't stand the actor.

Managers aren't around so much anymore because you need to pay for them- and so few of them were ever any good. "The Jackal", anyone? People talk about old managers, and they remember the good ones- Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart, Ted DiBiase. They don't remember the rash of ones there were simply there, like Mr. Fuji, collecting paychecks but never really offering much to the product. These days, new performers often get brought in as 'managers', or 'bodyguards', but are expected to primarily wrestle.

A good manager is a legendary interviewer. Jim Ross is a God on commentary, but you don't see him cutting many promos because that just isn't a great skill of his. Marella, Cabana, and Punk would be totally wasted as managers, although don't be shocked if Colt Cabana makes his debut as someone's manager, in a position built to move him into a wrestling role once fans are familiar with him. Booker T- hate to say it, because I hate the fact that this should matter, but he's black. Professional wrestling is still very much a race game, and while fans will accept a world champion who's black, if it's the right one, I think there would be enough resistance from the muppet contingent of wrestling fans to prevent a black manager from being in charge of a white wrestler. No one gives a shit about Matt Striker. Of all that list, the only person I could see being a successful manager in the WWE would be William Regal.

The WWE still uses managers; they've just stopped using completely ineffective ones. The good managers, like Vickie Guerrero, make you entirely forget that she's there as a manager, you're so busy wanting to choke her until the veins pop.

Matt Stryker had a good run as a manager when they brought ECW back. For that short while, he started out wrestling. But ended up being Big Daddy V Visera's manager.

I thought he was pretty good

tbh with you mate the only man i would bring back as a manager isnt on that list..........armando estrada.

Drew heat by the bucketfull and could promo with the best of them.

Agree 100% with this. Armando was GREAT at getting Umaga over. I was excited when I read that Tyson kidd came out with him as a manager at a house show. I was hoping they were going to bring him back, or bring mangers back period.

Matt Stryker had a good run as a manager when they brought ECW back. For that short while, he started out wrestling. But ended up being Big Daddy V Visera's manager./QUOTE]

Also agree with this. Striker knows how to work a mic and the crowd. Even though it started out annoying at first, his "teacher" segments grew on me based on him knowing his way around a mic. I think him previously being a teacher works well for his skills.

Although I threw my vote in for Striker...I think Regal should actually be a manger for a European stable. WWE'12 is going to have a storyline with one, so why not?

Drew and Regal aren't doing anything, Barrett isn't getting over as good as WWE hoped...so throw them together and let Regal be the mouthpiece. Make them a tag team and maybe add in 1 or 2 other guys. It would've been a perfect thing for DH Smith to be in after breaking off with Kidd.

Colt Cabana please no and you talk about kofi being corny and not enertaining but those words fit cabana like OJ to a bloody glove the Guy have not been entertaining since 05 but I digress anyways I was thinking. about turning kofi heel bring prince Nana restart a embassy type Faction easy money my friend

ok 1st here is a list of guys if placed with the right guys or stable can manage them give raings because there around.

jake the snake roberts
give him a faction of guys that just need a little push over the hump but need mic help like.
cody,drew,daneil bryan, jack swagger

he can make them darker like undertake did with big daddy v and the ron simmons and JBL. then you can have the return of the snake pit. but make sure you put in the contract if jake falls off the wagon again he has to be put in a cage and everyone in atendance gets to poke him with a cattle prod

mick can take the hardcore guys like morrison and even borne make them better maybe even help out koffi to remeber to speak with a accent blowing his own lines and making him look fake wwe hid that little gem with HHH asking where his jemacan accent go lol.

First, let me respond to some of the choices people have mentioned:

Jake Roberts. Great name, awful choice. He's not dependable, and his very public issues with drugs would do exactly what they don't want to do - overshadow the relevant talent.

Matt Striker. The guy has mic skills, no doubt. I wonder if he's too clean cut for a role as a heel manager, but this is far from the worst choice on the list.

Jim Ross. Not a good choice. He's too valuable on the mic, and for most fans, him as a manager would seem forced. They tried it with the fake Diesel / fake Razor / Steve Williams deal a long time ago and it was abysmal. Just let the man tell the story on the mic and stay out of his way.

Michael Cole. Solid choice. The guy clearly has the skills, and I think he could benefit from a break from commentary for a while since his heel persona has outlived its usefulness as a commentator. He isn't witty or tolerable enough to be a long term heel commentator like Heenan or Ventura were.

William Regal. Best choice on the list. The guy is gold. He managed the HHH / Austin 2-man power trip years back and was awesome. He's been the best GM as well. Put him with anyone and you're solid.

Santino Marella. No. Too funny and too momentary to be a long term manager at this point.

So here are some of my additions:

Vader. I'm a Vader fan boy - anyone who's read my work on this forum since 2006 knows that. But Vader was, in his prime in WCW, managed by the great Harley Race. Vader has stuff to pass on, and with his size and experience, placing him with a Mike McGillicutty or Brodus Clay may very well work out.

JBL. He's rumored to be returning, so why not as a manager? And why not as the next logical evolution in Alberto del Rio's career, since del Rio is oft compared to JBL? The two would be magnificent together, and JBL drew heat like a true pro.

Michael Hayes. I don't like him as a person, but he's too valuable and too skilled on the mic to not appear on TV anymore. He was the original manager of the Hardy Boyz, remember, and that was a cool way to debut them. Place any heel tag team with PS and watch the Freebird experience fly.

Al Snow. Quite possibly one of the smartest guys I've ever seen in wrestling. I've met the man and he's so insightful and intelligent. His work on the original Tough Enough with guys like JoMo, Maven, and Matt Cappotelli is well documented. He's a great combination of on-air personality with off-air mentorship.

Hardcore Holly. A real prick and far too stiff of a worker for a guy who accomplished fuck-all in the big leagues, but also a great seller and someone who understands the values of loyalty, selling for your opponent, and being a company guy.

Ron Simmons. For all of you who say "Teddy Long," let me stop you. Simmons was initially managed by Teddy Long in "Doom." Same thought process as having Vader who was once managed by Harley Race. The NFL is filled with "coaching trees" starting with guys like Parsells and Bellicheck. Wrestling can do the same thing.

Tully Blanchard. I know he's not thrilled with WWE all the time, but why not have this guy, whose initial WWE run was ruined due to a sudden drug test, take a shot as a manager. You can't go wrong with an original Horseman. Which brings me to...

Arn Anderson. Like Michael Hayes, this guy is too good on the mic and too smart to just keep in the back. He could manage a guy like DiBiase or Barrett to new heights.

Definitely Michael Cole needs to be a manager and off announcing. And hopefully he wouldn't put all the emphasis on himself if he was a manager. But I would think that this needs to happen soon because people are very much done with Cole as an announcer.

Michael Cole. Definitely at his best around Wrestlemania this year. He'd be good at helping a young talent fry over. Definitely love the idea of Regal as a manager and part-time wrestling role.

Michael Cole needs to stick to commentating. it doesnt matter how much you hate the guy hes good at his job and hes a great heel commentator who knows how to get under peoples skin.
I could definitely see Matt Striker being a manager now he doesn't really commentate much anymore so going back to the heel teacher gimmick could definitely work.

William Regal is coming to the end of his wrestling career but i definitely see the guy hanging around WWE as a trainer or agent. but he would make an incredible manager. recently in his match against Daniel Bryan on superstars there was mention of teacher vs student if Daniel Bryan ever wants to be taken serious going into his title match at mania it would be great to see Regal as the on screen tutor to Bryan.

Santino is destined to always be a comedy jobber i can never see him in any shape or form in a managerial role.

J.R needs to be the voice of Raw with king and Cole needs to go on Smackdown. i wouldn't like to see J.R as a manager i just dont think think that work.

Colt Cabana is a talented wrestler he needs to be on the roster if ever signed by WWE again as an active superstar from what ive seen of the guy in ROH and the indies hes an entertaining guy.

CM Punk is in the prime of his career and is one of the top guys being a manager would only work for him if he ever retired or got injured just to keep him on TV because hes not just a top wrestler he can cut a mean ass promo

i could see Booker managing an african american superstar like Kofi or if he was still in WWE Shelton Benjamin. theres been a lot of talk in WWE over the past few years how they want to get a top african american superstar i definitely see Booker being a mastermind character to it.

Just a couple names. Tony Atlas in a manger role again. Also always loved the thought of Tajiri as the next Mr. Fuiji - that green mist sure could put up some wins for a wrestler.

WWE definitely could use more managers because they have plenty of guys who are decent in the ring but just cannot seem to get the necessary fan reactions in order to get more over. Managers can help them get support if they are faces or heat if they are heels. The options in the poll are interesting for the most part, so let's take a look at each.

Cole
This would be much better for Cole. His level of annoyance is only matched by Vickie at this point and he would be a perfect candidate for a heel manager. Back when Swagger was involved with Cole during the Lawler angle, it helped Swagger get some heel heat. WWE had something there and they should make Cole be a manager rather than an announcer. We all know how bad he is at what he currently does.

Striker
Another good choice. He used to manager Big Daddy V before he became an announcer and he was decent at that. I'd rather see Striker announce but managing is certainly a better route for him than being the backstage interviewer. How about being a face manager? That could work.

Regal
I like this idea. When he managed the tag team of Zeke and Kozlov he was able to help make them more interesting. Regal would work well as either a face or a heel manager.

Santino
No way unless you want the wrestler he manages to never be taken seriously again. Associating with Santino was what finally killed Kozlov's career, a guy who once challenged for the WWE Championship became nothing more than a joke of a sidekick.

JR
This could work. JR managing faces to potentially feud with heels that Cole manages is an angle I would really like to see. Then it would benefit the two wrestlers involved and fans do not have to sit through trash like "The Michael Cole Challenge".

Colt Cabana
Never. If they bring him back it needs to be to wrestle, not manage.

Punk
Absolutely not. Punk is on a roll right now and needs to focus on singles success not managing others. They would be an afterthought just like The New Nexus.

Booker
Maybe. If it meant Booker could help someone get over and Striker gets his announcing spot back, then I would be all for it. Booker could be good for a manager in either a face or a heel role. He should stick to announcing for now though.

Regal and Cole make the most sense to me, but I would also add Bret Hart to that list. I'm sure it's not lucrative enough for him and I think his desire to stay with the business has died a lot, but I think he'd make one of the very best managers in the vein of Mr. Fugi. I'd give him Tyson Kidd & Natalya Neidhart, and maybe even Daniel Bryan. The problem would be resolving their collective face/heel status' to get it going.

Another guy I'd like to see return as a manager is Rick Steiner. Both of the Steiners in their prime were among the greatest wrestlers I've ever seen. Rick, having been outshined once the two past their prime and went into singles competition by his brother Scott, doesn't have a reputation of being a primadona like Scott, and he's always seemed the more mature of the two. I'd give him both Ezekiel Jackson & Mason Ryan and have him teach the two to wrestle like he and Scott used to.

The thing is, there's a fine line between being a good manager and taking the focus off the talent himself. That's been a problem with Vickie Guerrero in particular over the last few months. Not to say she isn't fantastic at her role, but has anyone ever noticed how the audience has sometimes been so into booing her, and then Dolph talks and they go quiet? Because Vickie is a bigger character. Dolph's definitely getting better, but eventually I think he needs to rid himself of Vickie if he wants a legitimate main event run, and not a recycled Edge storyline from 2008.

If they were going to make Cole a manager, they might have a similar problem. However, having him manage a heel for a while, and then using him to turn that heel face would be genius. I thought they were doing this with Swagger earlier in the year, but they dropped the ball on that. Just imagine, though, that Cole starts berating his client and being a real controlling asshole. Kind of like Miz did to Riley, except the other way around. Then that face finally has enough and kicks his ass, and the crowd goes wild. You'd almost have just created an instant main eventer.

I feel as though managers should otherwise mostly be used for superstars who have poor mic skills themselves. Dolph Ziggler is no longer in this category, hence why I think he should get rid of Vickie fairly soon. But her being with Swagger is probably a good thing, as Swagger's mic skills have actually declined over the last couple of years. You could also put a manager with a monster heel, as a sort of mouthpiece. This worked extremely well with Armando Estrada and Umaga, until Estrada got "too over" and they stripped him of his gimmick. I don't think that people who are good heels by themselves need managers; for example, Christian shouldn't be employing Vickie's services like they were hinting at a while back.

So basically, the use of managers is more complicated than I think a lot of people make it seem. The reason they're not used as much is because WWE has more people who are good on the mic, but in situations like the ones I've described, they can absolutely still be very useful. Remember how much Lita helped Edge out while he was climbing towards the main event? Yes, that was based on a real life situation, but she remained a total heat magnet for her entire year and a half heel run, which is pretty damn impressive any way you slice it. If they could do something like that, where a heel picks up a valet or something and it fits within a storyline, that could be another way to help someone move up. The possibilities are wide and varying. It just has to be done right.

I like the idea of JBL as a manager. I don't think he has any desire to strap up the boots again, but can definitely guide a guy like Alberto's career to new heights. As far as Cole..I was reminiscing about the commentary from years gone by with VKM and Gorilla Monsoon and remembering how a match between Marty Janetti and (enter another jobber's name here) could be transformed into an exciting affair. With that said, I think Cole sucks as an announcer and could definitely see him taking someone out of left field like a Drew McIntyre or Justin Gabriel to another level. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back