• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Steve Austin ducking Hulk Hogan

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
Unless you're a complete idiot, you can't dispute that these two guys were/are the biggest draws in the history of the WWF/E, in fact, you can't dispute this, it's fact.

This match is a draw, no matter how many years out of their primes both are, people will buy it. Hell, they would probably buy a pay per view with just this name on it. There are only 3 of these matches left in my opinion, Sting/Undertaker, Rock/Michaels, and Hart/McMahon. Mega Matches that would draw no matter what.

The WWE wants it to happen, Hogan wants it to happen, McMahon wants it to happen, the Fans want it to happen. So, it's a simple question, is Austin ducking Hulk Hogan.

My Opinion, yes. Austin hasn't gotten over the way he was treated in WCW, which is fine, it's his life. I also think that Austin is afraid. The outcome of this match doesn't matter. Hell, the Rock went over on Hogan, but Hogan was the bigger name that night. Austin is afraid that the reaction the Rock received is the same reaction he would receive, and I don't think his ego could handle it. I think Austin Fears Hogan.

*this thread is not meant to be spammy, but I have a feeling it will turn into it. Mods, feel free to move it to the Live Discussion if you think it gets to out of hand.

I think that, after his "triumphant return" against The Rock, well, maybe even then, Hogan's popularity has been pretty insincere. The wrestling audience today is very different to that which existed during Hogan at the height of his magical powers, or whatever it is that makes him so appealing. This means that either a) older fans are mass-invading arenas and yelling for him for nostalgia's sake or b) newer fans just don't really have a clue and pop for Hogan because they've heard what a massive name he is. Being one of the newer fans, I don't mean any offense.

On the other hand, Austin's popularity seems more sincere to me. Sure, there's still nostalgia and some "oh, he's awesome, apparently"ness to it, but I think that fans today find it easier to connect with him somewhat, and see him as a bigger icon than Hogan.

Despite this, I would definitely say that Austin is "afraid" of facing Hogan so-to-speak. Being the more recent megadraw, he can always claim to be bigger, but if the two faced and Austin was outpopped, that would just throw that theory out of the window. Although in all honesty, I think Austin may outpop Hogan. If he stopped coming back every few weeks to argue with Santino Marella that is. I just think Austin is afraid of being labeled the less significant megastar.

I definitely agree with the crowd and the sincerity of the cheering for Hogan. I think most do cheer for him because he is simply Hulk Hogan.

But a matchup would be different. With Wrestlemania in a match like that, you're talking a good two month build up, and I think that's what Austin is afraid of. Hulkamaniacs come out of the wood work to root for the guy. If it happened in Orlando, Austin is doomed. He's 90 miles away from Hogan's hometown, and I couldn't see him out popping the Hulkster.

As much of a Steve Austin fan I am and I would prefer him over Hogan, I do feel he fears getting in a match with Hulk Hogan.

There's many things he would fear of. Look at The Rock's match against Hogan. Despite the Hulkster lost, the match mostly revolved on Hogan and his legacy as well as his return more than The Rock in general. The thing is I doubt Austin would want to be viewed as #2 in the match. I also doubt Austin would job to Hogan either. That would probably be the last thing Austin would ever do. After all what happened in WCW, I can almost guarantee that Austin would refuse to do the "favor" or "job" for Hogan. No doubt Austin is bitter about what happened in WCW and being held back that is why he won't go out of his way to make Hogan look good.

This match would be the biggest match in the history of pro wrestling. This wouldn't be just another WrestleMania main event for Austin or Hogan. This would be the match everyone will remember the final days of both Austin and Hogan.

Overall, I feel Austin is afraid of his reputation. He doesn't want to get embarrassed by being booed. He doesn't want to look like a jabroni by making Hogan look good. He doesn't want to be viewed as the one who lost the most important match in the history of pro wrestling. Of course there's a possibility Austin could end up being the winner, the fans could always turn their backs on Austin like they did to Rock.

I don't think that it has anything to do with Hogan returning and everyone jumping on the bandwagon. It has everything to do with the WWE hinting at this match for more then two years now. Why not just get it done before it's too late to do it?

The fans want it, the company wants. The match is going to sell tickets and buy rates. It's a match that who gives a shit how good it's going to be. Unless it's Lesnar/Goldberg bad, everyone should enjoy it, and that match was still enjoyable because of the crowd reaction. This match is a chance for the entire fanbase to mark out and be fans again. This has Warrior/Hogan written all over it. Technical masterpiece, who cares, this is the type of match I want to watch to be a fan of the business again.

And I think a lot of people agree with what I'm saying. I think it's a fair question to ask with Austin ducking Hogan. It appears that way to me. I think he's afraid he'll have to play second fiddle to Hogan, which who gives a shit, they'll both be number 1 or 2 in the history of the WWF no matter what happens. I think Austin simply has more to lose in this match then Hogan, and he doesn't want to face a possible reality of still looking up to Hogan.

i think both have been out of the ring too long to a) put on the match people would expect, and b) have the support they had in their prime. all you have to do is look at mick foley and you can see that he's not gettin the pops he did 5 yrs ago. if you were to ask your average 12 y/o fan what made hogan's WM3 match special, or what Austin 3:16 says, they couldnt tell you. things change and i dont think it would benefit them to get back in the ring.

and that's before you consider the fact that they are both notoriously bad jobbers. so while it probably is a bit of fear on the part of stone-cold cos every legend from his era has come out of matches with hogan as the lesser star, i think austin knows he's not the same guy as he was and a return wouldn't benefit him.

Steve Austin is Ducking Hogan and it is probably not for the reason of being shown up to be the lesser star. It is more likely that it is about his health and his ability to deal out a match now. Steve's knees are pretty much gone right now and add on top of that the neck injury. It is probably safer for Austin to duck out of a match with Hogan.

I think to a certain extent Austin is concerned the Hogan might outpop him. But I think it has more to do with Austins dislike for Hogan. That match would be huge, it would probably get mainstearm publicity, and make loads of money for everyone. Austin hates Hogan. Hogan wants the match. Austin could probably do the match, but with his neck the risk isn't worth it. Other than money Austin has nothing to gain from having the match. Hogan might potentially make him look bad (Hogan was the heel when he was stealing The Rocks heat at Mania, don't forget). Whereas on the otherside of the coin, Hogan is desperate for the match. He wants it so bad, and Austin is pissing him off by saying no.

I think Austin is more concerned about doing what he's always done, delivering a great show. Hogan never was a good wrestler, Austin was. He knows Hogan has no range as a performer, and Austin prefers a more last second look to his matches, where nothing is predictable. While his health is a huge concern, this is probably the reason he is not eager to compete aganist Hogan.

Austin isn't ducking Hogan. . . at least not out of fear. Austin doesn't want to work with Hogan because of Hulk's lack of ability in the ring. While Austin isn't exactly Kurt Angle himself, he could at least put on an entertaining match which is more than I can say for Hogan. Nostalgic? Yes. Entertaining? No. Hogan is in poor physical shape to the point where he even falls down slow. Don't try to send him off the ropes either, he can't run! The only way it would be seen as a decent match IMO is if Austin controlled the action most of the match and brawled around the arena and such. If they stayed in the ring it would be a major snooze-fest. Austin still has it in him to go balls to the wall for one night only. Hogan doesn't. Also, as it has been pointed out, Austin WILL NOT job to Hogan. It's not gonna happen.

I believe, given the history of legendary classhes that Hogan has been in, that Steve Austin simply does not want to go into a match with Hogan and put Hogan over. Going back to what I perceive from his time in ECW, Steven Austin clearly showed his disgust for Huklamania. Coincidently, it was the aquisition of Hulk Hogan that spelled the end of many WCW star's careers. One of which was Steve Austin. And he has a valid point. While Hogan has jobbed, from time to time, to elevate super strong up and coming stars like Lesnar, The Giant, and The Rock, he has rarely jobbed for a legend. He beat Piper, beat Michaels, beat Flair, and would want Austin to do the clean job to once and for all show that Hulkamania reigns supreme over Austin 3:16. And Austin respects wrestlers. Wrestlers who give their blood, sweat, and tears, and carry a match from beginning to end. He doesn't respect legacies.

The only thing that would occur if this match happened is the 2 biggest draws in wrestling history would look like crap.

I'm a big fan of both guys, Austin is my favorite wrestler ever and Hogan is a legend for obvious reasons. Both are entertaining in their own ways.

But neither can put on a match these days. And Austin knows it. I get the impression that Hulk thinks its the 80's still and never seems to realize he can't walk let alone put on a classic match.

Austin knows he has more limitations than in the past. I remember reading years back (and even more recently for that matter) Stone Cold saying if he isn't 100% and can't give a performance worth watching he won't get back in the ring. As far as I'm concerned he's keeping his word.

Is Steve Austin afraid of Hulk Hogan? Absolutely not. Is he afraid that he'll disappoint his fans by giving them a shitty match? Absolutely.

And besides whats to gain for either person. If Hogan is gonna wrestle at 'Mania have him fight someone who can use the exposure. Hogan will never job to someone like MVP or Kennedy, but both of them would still get more exposure and have to up their game to be in a feud with Hogan. And if by some chance Hogan did agree to lay down for one of them we would be well on our way to having perhaps the next big megastar of the industry.

Sorry if I kinda got off topic towards the end, it was just a point i felt like making.

In this match, it's going to be nothing but posing and slow moves anyway. I really don't think that Hogan can bring the intensity he once did, and I honestly don't think Austin's Neck or Knee would be at any risk of injury in what at most would end up being a ten minute matchup.

Look at everything that has happened the last 5 years with Hogan going against the top guys in the company after he left.

The Rock: Obviously we all know what happened. Hogan out popped the Rock in one of the most bizarre fan reactions to date in my opinion.

Triple H: Fresh off an Undisputed World title win at Wrestlemania after a huge return, Triple is playing second fiddle to Hogan as far as the crowd is concerned all throughout the match.

Shawn Michaels: Michaels is made to play heel, but Hogan was out popping him anyway.

Only two guys, Undertaker and Angle, were getting good crowd support in their matchups against Hogan. The Undertaker for obvious reasons, in my opinion, he is the face of the company, moreso then Hogan or Austin, and if you want to challenge that statement, go ahead. And Angle, he was the face of the direction the company went to the next two years after.

So Austin has seen 3 of the biggest names in the history of the company look weak next to the power of Hulkamania. This is what Austin is afraid of. Not that he'll be out worked, not that he'd put on a crap match, but the anger and animosity he has had since 1994 would all be for nothing when the crowd chants for Hogan instead of Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back