• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Rey Mysterio a legend to you

punk is gold

Occasional Pre-Show
Now in his career Rey Mysterio has been the cruiseweight champion,the intercontinental champion,the world champion,he's also won numerous tag titles and the Royal Rumble.There's no question he's one of the biggest attractions and cashcows the Wwe has ever seen,thanks to the mask.I also think it's easy to say he's possibly the greatest cruiseweight of all time,there's no doubt he's a legend in Mexico,but I wanna know do you consider Rey Mysterio a legend .

I would consider him to be somewhat of a legend, he will definitely be remembered, and inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, because he's contributed a lot to the high flying wrestling, he's put on great matches, put over talent, he's won multiple championships, and has done everything in his right to be considered a legend, a guy to look up to, and someone who could very well in the future be said to have influenced the career of X wrestler.

While I personally wouldn't say that I like him, it's impossible to deny the fact that a lot of people does, he's wrestled in numerous promotions and been putting on good matches for years, even considering the many injuries he had and the many year's he's been in the business, I think he's doing impressively well and will be remembered for all of the things he did in WWE mostly.

I remember on WWE.com I believe Chavo was interviewed about the greats of Mexican wrestling, and he mentioned Rey Mysterio, revolutionizing Lucha Libre in the original ECW.

Actually here it is, taken from WWE.com:

While the early days of lucha libre featured a more technical style, the lighting-fast, breathtaking feats we know today developed over a number of years thanks to stars like Fuerza Guerrera, El Canek and Dos Caras. But American audiences got their first real taste of this gravity-defying brand of action when legendary luchadores Rey Mysterio and Psicosis faced off in a series of groundbreaking matches in Extreme Championship Wrestling in 1995. The two fierce competitors put on a clinic of aerial moves that wowed the small Philadelphia audience and began the legend of Mysterio in America. "I’ve heard people compared [to Mysterio] a 100 times, but nobody can do it like Rey," Chavo admitted.

As you can read, Chavo already credits Rey Mysterio as a legendary luchadore, so I'm sure there's something behind it.

Well I really don't see him as legend just yet in wwe. I do see him one day become a legend down the line in wwe when he has been in the company for a couple of years when he retires imo. But I do see him as a legend in mexico he paved the way for some of the new crop of mexcans stars in aaa and cmll and also cause he is influencial.

I see Mysterio as a legend already. He's been in the business for a very long time and is always entertaining. He has had great feuds with the likes of Eddie, Batista, Kane, and many more. He isn't the most dominant wrestler... er... entertainer ever, but he has shown that with his in ring ability, size doesn't matter.

I see Mysterio as a legend already. He's been in the business for a very long time and is always entertaining. He has had great feuds with the likes of Eddie, Batista, Kane, and many more. He isn't the most dominant wrestler... er... entertainer ever, but he has shown that with his in ring ability, size doesn't matter.

Sorry, but, that feud with Kane was garbage, and stands out as one of his worst he participated in during his career.

To the topic: A legend? Meh, that's a bit of a stretch in my opinion. When I think "legend" I think, The Rock, Austin, 'Taker, Bret Hart, Hogan. He's a HoFer, no doubt... But, legend? Bit of a stretch.

In Mexico, definately a Legend...in USA...i would have to say yes aswell...he has done it all..if im correct i can say he is the only cruiserweight to win a world title?...well im pretty sure he is...

He is amazing in the ring, he has given hus amazing matches and put on some great performances...in wcw i think he was at his best.or maybe ecw, but i never watched ecw back in the 90's...if he retired this year...i could see him a HOF'er by next year...

Legend is a very nebulous term. So, in order to answer this one, I have to define it in terms of wrestling. I've found one that probably fits best for the term "legend" for wrestlers: "A person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits".

When you look at Rey Mysterio, that pretty much sums him up. Fame and notoriety? Both the man and the mask are pretty much top icons of the WWE. In terms of fame and notoriety, he's on par with Cena, Triple H, and The Undertaker. He's been in the business a helluva long time and whenever able, he's always taken, if not center stage, then at least within the outlying vicinity. He's also the top icon of cruserweight style wrestling in the U.S. and probably many parts of Mexico. Sorry, Eddie Guerrero, but Mysterio has surpassed you in this capacity. *Bracing self for cries of "blasphemy" by torch and pitchfork bearing Guerrero fanatics.*

Now, let's look at "exaggerated and romanticized tales or exploits", shall we? Mysterio has had one of the most exaggerated and romanticized careers in the WWE. He started out as the ultimate underdog and yet has had the most success in that capacity. Once billed as "The Giant Killer" he went up against people like Bam Bam Bigelow and King Kong Bundy and toppled them. He continuously gave a good showing against the top big men in the business, not necessarily winning, but definitely "letting them know they've been in a fight." Also, throughout his career, there has been parallel after parallel between Mysterio and the many heroic figures of legend who stood alone against seemingly impossible odds and overcame them through a combination of innovation and just never giving up.

If anybody in the WWE deserves the title of "legend" by its classical definition, it's Rey Mysterio hands down.

Not a legend, no. The thing with Rey is that he's unique; his size is a built-in gimmick that he's made a career on.

Remember, though, as unhappy with WWE as he reportedly is (over money), he should appreciate the way they've pushed him despite the fact he's a small man in a big man's game. They have him cleanly defeating guys like Batista and Kane, which I consider absurd. It was visually ridiculous to see him pinning Batista.

Legends aren't made unless the promoter helps make them. Guys like Flair and Hogan are legends, but they didn't do it alone. Their employer has to put them in a position to succeed..... then, their performance kicks in.

With Rey, a lot of what he's done just doesn't seem believable and it's hard to consider him for legendary status if that's the case.

i wouldnt consider him a legend as of yet but definately hall of famer, if i was a mexican i would say for def he was a legend. maybe he needs another world title reign to solidify him as a legend

He will be eventually. The term ‘legend’ is thrown around far too much. At the moment there are only 3 or 4 men still wrestling that I would consider legends; Flair, Hogan, Taker and Sting. Yeah of course guys like Triple H and Angle will be Legend’s they aren’t even at that level yet and Mysterio certainly isn’t. Although, that being said I think if he were to retire right now I would consider him as a legend. To be a legend I think you need to be able to look at their whole career, look over them as a past thing, no longer in the limelight.

Mysterio has done wonders for the business and for fellow wrestlers. His high flying in WCW solidified the cruiserweight division along with guys like Jericho and Malenko. His wrestling is recognized in Japan, Mexico, Great Britain and Canada. His match’s are always good to great. He has the credentials to be a Legend but until you can really take in everything he’s done in his career (as you do when someone retires) he will be looked on as a Legend for what he’s accomplished.

The only reason I listed Flair, Hogan, Taker and Sting as Legend’s that are still wrestling is because Flair and Hogan should have stopped YEARS ago and Sting and Taker are pretty much finished. Mysterio has a good few years left in him and he’ll make the most of it. He’ll continue to help push younger stars and build his reputation and will most certainly be inducted into the HOF sometime. I’m hardly a Mysterio mark but you have to give credit where credit is due and Rey has earned it in bucket loads. Everyone backstage respects him, everyone in the crowds love him and he himself loves the business with a passion. He’s a superstar, a great guy and yes; a FUTURE Legend.

In Mexico, definately a Legend...in USA...i would have to say yes aswell...he has done it all..if im correct i can say he is the only cruiserweight to win a world title?...well im pretty sure he is...
QUOTE]

Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero were both cruiserweight champions and both have held world titles. But bringing up chris jericho again he is more of a legend to me than Rey Mysterio is currently is. Rey Mysterio is a sure hall of famer. But a legend is a little bit too much to call him. He is a legend in mexico like some have said but not so much in the United States.

If you say somebody like Rowdy Roddy Piper. I would say he is great but I wouldn't call him a legend. I know some people will disagree but that's how I see it.

definitely, at least to me, i've only been a real fan of wrestling since February and i'm already a huge fan of him. also, along with Serena Deeb, i idolize him for being such an incredible wrestler.

Without question he is a legend in this business. He is one of the most recognizable Superstars in the world, he brings a large demographic to his promotion solely based on his status in his home country, and he can be placed in a program with any Superstar in the WWE, whether it be a lowly mid carder making his debut or a World Champion. He helped bring the lucha libre style to the forefront back in his WCW days and he still influences several people in the business today.

Just watch the video Ferbian posted, Chavo knows his shit.

He is a wrestling legend in terms of being in the business for a long time and his dedication. But to me I am not sure if he is going to be remembered with the likes of Austin, Hogan, HHH, HBK, The Rock and others.

That is a good question. Is Rey Mysterio a legend? There is no doubt that Rey Mysterio will be added into the Hall of Fame one year. He is one of the top faces on Smackdown, up there with Big Show and Undertaker. He is very over with the fans, especially kids. He had a good reign as World Heavyweight Champion, the first masked World Heavyweight Champion and no doubt the smallest. He is also very popular in Mexico.

Is Rey Mysterio a Legend? I think he is a great performer and has had good feuds and is exciting to watch in the ring. He isn't a legend yet, but he will be after he retires. Rey Mysterio is the first of many smaller wrestlers that will be future World Champions. Evan Bourne's recent push is an example.

John Cena made a point when the creative staff was going to drop the ball with Evan. With improvement on the mic, Evan could potentially be a great main eventer in the next 3-5 years. And with Kaval soon joining the Roster, you can bet this guy will be on fire.

Rey Mysterio is great, but not a Legend yet. He has held only one World Title as of date, and should have at least one more before he retires.

No! No! No!

I really have no idea what it is about Rey Mysterio that I don't like but there is certainly something there that stops me from considering him one of the best in the business. It is probably because I am not a 10 year old kid that is desperate for high-flying heroes coming in to save the day. That may be a little blunt and a little ignorant but I just don't care for anything that he does. In fact, the only time that I actually cared about Rey's plight was when he was feuding with Eddie Guerrero and that was only because Guerrero was utterly incredible.

Truth be told, I don't really like any lucha libre wrestlers and I don't really have a penchant for smaller wrestlers. I like wrestlers with huge physiques like Batista or Cena and I just don't find it believable that Mysterio could beat people that are much bigger than him. I also hate that he is called the "Ultimate Underdog" every time he wrestles. To me, that just pisses me off. He is a former World Heavyweight Champion and he is still an uinderdog!? That makes no fucking sense. It's just his general persona that I don't care for. I know that he will likely go into the WWE Hall Of Fame and I have no problem with that after all the work he has done for the WWE and the younger fans. By all means, put him in there but I don't like him.

I personally am not a huge fan of his, but i can see how its a legendary career. To be honest i think that a lot of the guys like him/Y2J etc having been from ECW-WCW-WWE or whatever order they did it in, and be meaningful in all 3 have legendary careers now because its something that can never be repeated

Going back to Rey Mysterio, being the smallest world champ, being in fantastic feuds, the other titles he has held, even introducing the significance of a mask to the new generations of fans. He has had a great career, more than expected in WWE and i think in many ways its a credit to him and his work and his uniqueness. But i dont really like him as a fan though, its like were told to like him so i dont.

When Rey retires he will be thought of as a legend IMO, a definate Hall of Famer. He helped to introduce luchador style high flying wrestling to the US, and defied all the odds to eventually win the heavyweight belt in the biggest wrestling company in the world, as well as being loved all around the world.

The success he has had for a guy so small, especially in the heavyweight ranks shows just how talented he is. Yeah, he is past his best now, but he has achieved so much in the wrestling business I would definately put him down as someone who will be remembered as a legend in the future. He isnt there yet, but I think he will get there, he still has a little bit left in the tank for sure.

Anyone got a list of all the belts Rey has won? It must be a hell of a lot

Do I consider Rey Mysterio a legend? - No
Do I think he is good at what he does? - Yes

Personally, I used to love Rey Mysterio back when he first started, his leap off the steel cage, his feuds with Jamie Noble and Matt Hardy.
When I turned on him was when he (in my eyes) was the only one to benefit from Eddie Guerrero's star studded career.
Ever since then I have disliked him, it keeps playing on my mind whenever I see him in the ring.

Would Rey Mysterio have won more titles if he didn't have those recurring knee injuries?
Would Rey Mysterio of won the Royal Rumble leading into WM22?
Would Rey Mysterio of became the World HeavyWeight Champion if Eddie Guerrero died?
Would he have became the "Biggest little man in the WWE" we all come to love and enjoy?

I can weigh up the pros and cons of the career of Rey Mysterio but simply he would be recognised as a Legend in Mexico and has set the benchmark for other Lucha Libres in Mexico.
In the U.S I would not consider him a legend, more of a stand out athlete in his own area as (other than the cruiserweights in the division, which is were he really belonged) he didn't really show anything spectacular against bigger opponents, it just seemed to be beat him down for 10 minutes and then miraculously drop toe hold them and 619 them, but realistically he would more than likely be inducted into the Hall of Fame sooner or later.

All depends on ones definition of a legend.

I feel Rey is getting checked on almost every writers first ballot HOF nomination.

The guy really has done it all...

Not to mention, he sells mass amounts of merchandise... and besides Cena.. was the face of the PG movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back