Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame Quarterback?

BooCocky

On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan
One could say he is, and one could say he isn't. If he wins a SB this year, he would have 3 appearances, a SB win or two, 2 league MVPs, and remarkable numbers in just ten short years.

I believe he is a hall of fame QB regardless of what happens this year. He has 182 TDs, over 28,000 yards passing, he's lead several teams to the playoffs, and he has many NFL records. He has the resume of some NFL Hall of Fame Quarterbacks, and who is to say he is finished after this year? So, when it is all said and done, do you consider Warner a Hall of Fame QB?

Kurt Warner should and I think will be in the HOF someday. I’ve thought this for a long time; well before what he has accomplished this season.

His induction will inevitably be based far more so on what he accomplished with the Rams, than with the Cardinals of course. Statistics, consistency, ect.... I don’t think any of that is going to keep Warner out of Canton. The more I think about it, the more I feel that he is an absolute shoo-in. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that those factors don’t, won’t or shouldn’t matter. They’re bound to carry *some* weight in the mind of *some* voters. Not enough to ultimately matter, though. Franchise achievement, player popularity, legacy, revolutionism, ambassadorism, off-the-field behavior and common sense are allowed to factor into the induction process, and Kurt Warner, as much as anyone, has all those qualities. Even favoritism, since it’s an electoral exercise.

Anyway, chances are Warner won’t be in on his first ballot, but I would be shocked if he has to wait longer from retirement-to-enshrinement than Phil Simms, who is also an eventual inductee, in my opinion.

I've learned that if you need to ask the question, the answer is probably no.

He's a great quarterback, but he's not head and shoulders above other QBs playing in the same era. Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady are all better than him, and QBs such as Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, Mark Brunell, Drew Bledsoe, and Donovon McNabb have played, or are playing, in the same era, and are just as good, if not better.

Yes, Warner has a Super Bowl ring, but so does Jared Lorenzen. Yes, Kurt Warner has MVPs, but he wouldn't be the first QB to win MVP, and not be in the Hall Of Fame (see Ken Stabler). He has great numbers, but he's also had great receivers in Holt, Bruce, Fitzgerald, Breaston, Boldin, and Faulk. He'll go down as a great QB, but not the best of his time, and certainly not the best ever.

Didn't he have like Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Marshall Faulk to throw too? And an outstanding O-Line?

Aren't those your credentials for a great QB?

but Manning Favre and Brady are HOF QB's. Warner has as much success as any one of them in half the time. A QB's success isn't solely based on stats in the regular season, its based off playoff performances and so forth. Terry Bradshaw was a good QB, but he wouldn't be a hall of famer without 4 Sb rings in 4 tries, and the countless big performances in big games. Kurt Warner reminds me of Terry Bradshaw to be honest, they weren't always the biggest guys but they were guys with strong arms, and were winners in big games, and I believe that makes Warner a Hall of Fame QB. His time in Stl was all about the offense, and if they couldn't put up 35 points they'd lose. So if Warner wasn't on his game, they'd struggle. It's basically the same thing in Arizona.

*buzzer* Wrong-o

Manning - 1998
Brady - 2000
Warner - 1999

Try again...

Kurt Warners only started in 85 games in his career.

Peyton has started in 160

Tom Brady has started in 110.

editand he has more passing yards than Tom Brady and 15 less touchdowns..

If he gets the Cardinals to the Superbowl this year, then I would be inclined to say that he should go into the Hall of Fame (has there ever been a starting QB that has gone to the Superbowl with two different teams?).

However, I think it is important to remember that Warner has had more poor than good seasons. This season, along with his 1999-2000 and 2001-2002 seasons with the Rams, have been the only ones where I can confidently say that he was exceptional (and, I say that he has been exceptional this year with a little hesitation...if he gets the Cardinals to the Superbowl, however, I will be without reserve).

If he gets the Cardinals to the Superbowl this year, then I would be inclined to say that he should go into the Hall of Fame (has there ever been a starting QB that has gone to the Superbowl with two different teams?).

However, I think it is important to remember that Warner has had more poor than good seasons. This season, along with his 1999-2000 and 2001-2002 seasons with the Rams, have been the only ones where I can confidently say that he was exceptional (and, I say that he has been exceptional this year with a little hesitation...if he gets the Cardinals to the Superbowl, however, I will be without reserve).

Craig Morton - Got there with the Cowboys, and the Broncos, lost both times...

I'll add to my reasons Warner shouldn't be in.

He's been benched by 3 seperate teams. He was benched for Marc Bulger in St. Louis, he was benched for Eli in New York, and he was benched multiple times for Matt Leinart in Arizona. He wouldn't have even been the starter this year if Leinart wasn't such a screw-up in the off-season. He didn't do anything illegal, but he showed that he's not a professional, and that's needed in this league.

I'll never deny that Warner is a good quarterback, but I won't put him among the best of this generation. He's among a crowded second tier of quarterbacks...

I'd say Warner is about as perfect of a definition of boarderline as you can get. Now if he wins another title or even makes the Super Bowl this year, he gets in. To take a team like Arizona that was so awful for so long and get them a ring would be truly remarkable. I think what hurts him though is the time between the Rams and Arizona, where he was just awful. His time with the Giants was ok at its very best. However he's turned things around since then and is back in his old form. The numbers he put up in St. Louis were remarkable to say the least. He's on the fence, and this season will determine which way he falls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back