Is Kane's character damaged beyond repair?

This is not meant to be a knock at the PG-era because that's a whole other debate but I do think that the the character of Kane has been one of the guys who's most been weakened by that shift. They can't get across how sadistic and brutal he's meant to be other than by implication. Kane crying and showing emotion the past few weeks has been completely against his MO of the past 10-15 years and it seems as if Kane's character has been ret-conned into oblivion. When he appeared at the end of the latest Smackdown I thought, this is it, chokeslam everyone in the ring and end standing tall but alas no. In the past guys wouldn't would be trying their best to stay as far away from an angry Kane as possible rather than trying to hold him back.

Is there a way to bring the 'monster' back or is that character too limited in a PG environment? Trade him to Raw and have him attack people in a similar vein to when Sheamus debuted on that show? Put him back in a mask that for storyline purposes is irremovable and have that the cause of him flipping out and re-transforming into the monster? I know that everyone's seen his face already but I'd like to see Kane retire while wearing the mask.

What would you do if you were booking Kane to look strong again?

I'd say that what they've just done should be enough to bring the monster back. He has to complete his program with Edge this Sunday, then they can launch him in a new direction; one that makes him the terror we always expected him to be.

The good thing is that whether he wins or loses at TLC, his new program is set and ready to go. In fact, it might be even better if he drops the title so he can concentrate on tearing his way through the roster instead of defending a championship. Either way, it's hard to believe that WWE executed the Kane-loses-father program just to end his push after this Sunday.

Face it, the injury to Undertaker at the hands (or feet) of Rey Mysterio was the best thing that ever happened to Kane. He was the recipient of a major push that probably never would have happened had Undertaker not gotten hurt. Before that, Kane was reduced to an aging wrestler stuck on the mid-card.

Well, if this isn't an overreaction then I don't know what is. Kane is the guy who went through the Katie Vick storyline and cried on television about Lita dumping him. In addition to silly writing, he's grown stale in midcard hell for years. After all of this, he finally managed to become strong and relevant again back in the summer. If that's not proof that almost anything in wrestling can be fixed, then what more do you need?

Get Kane out of this silly angle with Edge,give him another serious angle at the top of the card, and let nature take its course. No doubt it my mind that Kane will be back where he was in the summer in no time.

I don't really see Kane's character as being damaged at all really. Compared to some of the awful storylines & feuds Kane has had to endure over his time in the WWE, the Paul Bearer Kidnapping angle is like a walk in the park on a spring day.

Kane is someone that I'd just written off as having his best days behind him. For most of the past 6 months however, I've had to eat crow as Kane has never been better overall. When they started the story of him searching for The Undertaker's attacker, Kane showed that he can really deliver on the mic. In my opinion, Kane has given some of the best promos of the year because of the emotion he showed during those promos and the fact that they were extremely eloquent.

If Kane does retain the WHC at TLC, which I expect him to do, he'll recover from the sillyness that's dogged the feud he's had with Edge in a very short time. Even if he does continue to feud with Edge, all that's needed would be to give the angles a more serious tone than what we've seen and things will be just fine.

No, not in the slightest. As Edge said, he did what he did to get inside Kane's head. To show Kane what it's like to be on the other side of what he's done for 14 years. It has little to do with Kane's character being destroyed, and more to do with Edge kidnapping his father, and getting inside his head. You have to remember, this is the same character that just destroyed Undertaker on 3 straight PPV's. So Edge had to use tactics similar to Kane in order to get around what Kane had been doing to the rest of the brand. To show, that unlike the others, that he wasn't afraid of him, and could beat him at his own game. The execution of it was awful, so i understand where you're coming from there. Put this has been a character whose had his ups and downs for 14 years, always to rebound. His winning of the World Title in July, and still being in possession of it now is testament to that. Kane just needs removed from this rediculous angle from Edge, and he'll be fine. He just needs another strong angle and he'll be fine.

I don't think Kane's character has been damaged. He's just stuck in this horrendous storyline with Edge right now. As far as shit storylines go, Kane has been through worse, but he's managed to overcome all of that, and now he's the World Heavyweight Champion. A lot of us(myself included) thought Kane would NEVER win a world championship again. Kane really started to gain momentum when the "who attacked The Undertaker?" storyline began. Kane did manage to cut some dark and creepy promos.

If kane retains the World Heavyweight Championship at TLC, then I think he could be on the verge of a resurrection. Winning a Fatal 4 Way TLC match could do wonders for Kane. I expect him to hold on to the WHC, and if he does, then he should be able to get back on track.

kane was built up so much againsts taker. they made him look like a legit monster heel who could defeat anyone, including the deadman. now with the edge program he just comes off bad. i get that edge is a master manipulator but if kane is the true monster the wwe started to portray him as then he should he let edge have paul bearer. act like a true monster. paul just got caught inthe fight. just a casualty. kane needs to return to being the big red monster and not chasing edge around all dam show.

I can see Kane winning this you know. Someone's been drafted to Smackdown recently, someone whose really only been in squash matches. Someone who is huge and A FACE. Someone who in terms of physical appearance could believably take down Kane.

Before this was a fatal fourway, Yes it looked like Kane was weak as hell. This clearly ruined any momentum he had by defeating Taker three times. However it then took the entire smackdown roster to pull Kane off of Edge. He's now being portrayed as a psychotic monster who as snapped , who is savage with rage. A massive big red monster hell bent on destroying Edge. This to me shows a new-found and even angrier side to Kane that we've ever seen.

Add this to the fact that Edge has constantly got the better of Kane every week, winning the match, picking the stipulation, the Paul Bearer mindgames. Wheeling him through the barrier after the last PPV. Kane has barely got a shot in. This reaks of true WWE storywriting - Oh look he's losing, he's losing, he's losing, it's the PPV, he's won.

Add to this the fact that the new guys put into the match are an injured Rey Mysterio (FOR CHRISTS SAKE YOUR INJURED GET AWAY FROM THE TITLE MATCH OR ANY TITLE, JUST STOP NOW) who from my rant just then, I feel shouldn't be involved in a title match, he's won it what three times now, that's enough, you're pushing it way too far with him. Then we have Alberto Del Rio, who realistically I suppose could win it, he's a great heel he seems to be getting a reaction, but isn't it far too soon. Putting the title on Sheamus so early worked because he's huge and could legitamately match Orton, Cena and HHH for size, Del Rio cannot.

So all of this leads me to believe Kane will retain. He'll then go on to fued with, that's right. Ezekial Jackson the only man on the smackdown roster that not only is face but that can match Kane pound for pound.

No, Kane's character has not been damaged. His best days are far behind him, and he is just currently stuck in yet another terrible storyline. He's gotten through them before, so I can't see why he can't get through this one. Kane is still a monster in everyone's minds; for god's sake he has defeated the Undertaker. In my book that classifies someone as a very powerful talent. He also cut some dark and creepy promos with the Undertaker, maintaining his role as the big red monster.

So no, Kane is still a monster in everyone's eyes that will destroy anyone who gets in his way of accomplishing what he wants.

No, I don't think so.

This is professional wrestling. They can give or take away credibility from anyone.

He'll be fine if that's what the WWE wants.

na Kane's fine. He has wiped out that 1 day title reign by holding onto it for 5 month's, while raw has seen the title flip flopped from wrestler to wrestler with no direction. Smackdown has had a champion that has dominated the recent main event scene, and has built stability with a credible champion.

You got to realise kane will never be the attitude era kane those days are gone. He will never be the kane that physically overpowered undertaker at his fave event wrestlemania. He terrified the entire roster destroyed them and overpowered anyone who went toe to toe with him in the ring and he felt no pain - he kept coming at you like micheal myers or predator, hit him with chairs low blows anything 3 on 1 attacks or matches he was unstoppable, he also set a look that could be built for a horror movie he was that terrifying to look at.

Christ this kane is a hell of allot darker and better than the mask kane of 2002/03 who did acts like the kaneroonie, does everyone forget that but because he had the mask and the hair he was better back then. The only thing that made that kane better he was better in the ring has kane's wrestling quality's has declined with age, and obviously he was still wearing the mask.

But kane is doing alright

I believe Kane's recent storyline has been an absolute joke, but it's not like bizarre storylines are inconsistent with Kane's past in the business. The dude went from family drama ,to Katie Vick, to wrestler impersonations, to crying about daddy on national television, but he's always looked like a threat, despite how emotionally weak he's being made out to be.

I don't think his character is damaged, but that doesn't mean I particularly enjoy the storylines he gets written into.

He has had a great 2010; been his 2nd best year in the WWE in my opinion, and he has had the opportunity to showcase his skills on the mic and in the ring to the fullest.

His feud with Taker was magnificently done for all the vignettes, talk, return of Paul Bearer and the temporary demise of the Deadman. But this current storyline is, well, flawed to the extreme, but he is (AS ALWAYS) giving it his all, and making it relevant. His WHC run was good, but I look forward to where he is going now.

Now obviously, his character is coming full circle as he looks to retire from the game and I expect that he will be involved in some capacity with his brother at WM and get a quiet but very respectful send-off.

I don't really think it's been damaged. Wrestlers have their ups and downs and good angles and bad angles, and if you're an established talent such as Kane, as long as you don't bury him with bad angle after bad angle and jobbing more and more, I think they stay relevant. I mean, Kane's been a mainstay in the WWE for a very long time so I think that they can always find a way to freshen him up a bit. Speaking of, I think it's time to bring back the masked Kane for about a year. Have him go against Taker at WM, pull out all the stops, have Taker keep the streak, and after the match they could have Taker do the "lightning" thing so that it "hits" Kane, smoke billows up, and he runs to the back holding his face. Then on the next Smackdown he comes out w/the old mask saying Taker burned his face again, blah blah blah. Great angle, brings back the nostalgia of masked Kane, then if he decided to retire, say, after 'Mania, they could have him wrestle at 'Mania, unmask, and have an unmasked send-off on the following Raw or Smackdown. Perfect, I say, perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back