• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it time for the X-Division to be phased out?

Schizophrenic

iMPACT! Player From The Start
Now before people start to yell at me for being stupid hear me out. The X-Division was one of those things that made me start to watch TNA but I think alot of what the X-Division used to be about is gone now. It's almost become a glorified Cruiserweight division with the champions usually being the guys who can flip, flop anf fly all over the place. The last big champ we had was Samoa Joe and with the new champ of Doug Williams maybe it can go back to being about "no limits" like it used to be when you would see two great athletes going at it.

When TNA began I (among alot of others) saw the X-Division Title as the equivilent to ECW's Television Title in that it would be the workhorses of the company that were not getting the main event pushes but were going to most likely start. It then became a Cruiserweight mainly belt held by the likes of Kazarian, Michael Shane, Kid Kash, Red and Chris Sabin.

Does anyone think that with Doug Williams not being what many woudl see as the "traditional" X Champion we could begin to possibly see the X Division being phased out in order to make way for a legit secondary championship like the Intercontinental or United States title? I have always loved the X Division but with many of it's stars now int eh Heavyweight Championship race would it be better to replace the X Division title with a TV/US/IC style belt that would be able to be held by the likes of Williams, Kendrick and Lethal but alos main event level talent like Dinero, Wolfe and Anderson to give it more prestige and make the belt almost as important as the world title? I still think stuff like Utimate X would work if the title on the line wasn't necesarily an X Title. You could still have the guys flying around and being spectacular but I think it would make the performers look more legit when saying "Yeah they are the Television (just using it as palceholder) champion" insted of "They are the X Champion, which is their cruiserweight belt."

Discuss, and please for the love of god no quick answers like "no! X Divis ROX!" I would like to know people's oppinion. I'm not saying it should be phased out just looking at other possible options in TNA.

Reactions: TLC
Williams is going to work his normal style and should do very well at giving the X Division something different. There's is no doubt in my mind that he has been given the belt to give the division credibility and a style that Hogan and Bischoff are familiar with and is "safe", until they know what they want to do with the division.

It shouldn't be phased out but I wouldnt be surprised for it to happen. I hope they are building to do something with it.

I don't want it to, even if it's just Cruiserweights I find these types of matches really entertaining. It may be time to make the X-Division a TV title though seeing as they barely use the title on PPV anyway and most of the competitors are only seen on TV, making it only on TV may help it as it could be a focus for TV and not an afterthought for PPV.

The X-Division is what helped identify TNA if they get rid of it completely it would be like WWE getting rid of Survivor Series, oh wait

The X Division is something that allows people to follow in the footsteps of something that worked (Cruiserweight division) while keeping it fresh with allowing all sizes and focusing on fast paced action. A good X match can save an otherwise bad card/PPV.

The division is still solid and can be restored to past glory with the right amount of focus. Eric Bischoff, say what you will, knows how to handle lighter weight wrestlers. The division is one of the only things that TNA has that is all there own and the onyl version WWE has of it, sucks in comparison. So not only is it unique, it's actually better then the WWE in this particular regard.

You can't give away that one, it's ont of the only things they can one-up WWE with. SO.. in other words.. why don't you tell 'em what you think Mr. President......

99221468.png

If you were to stop calling it the X-Division title and call it, say, the "Television" title, it wouldn't change the fact that no one cares about the title right now. I agree that it turned into a Cruiserweight-type title, but changing the name or the supposed parameters of the division isn't going to make it anymore important.

Both of the mid-card singles championships (X-Division and Global) are in limbo right now. I forgot that Amazing Red was champion until Doug Williams took it from him. I have hope that Doug Williams will help elevate the status of the X-Division and perhaps bring some prestige back to the title, especially since he breaks away from the high-flying fast paced action I've become accustomed to seeing from champs like Red and Suicide.

The X-Division shouldn't be faced out just yet. Otherwise, the mid-carders would have nothing to aspire to. TNA has no idea what to do with the Global Championship; maybe they're too embarrassed to let people know Rob no-talent Terry is holding it.

I think that it should stay because they have great matches and I think they can make it better again. But right now it isn't that great.

I don't understand the complaining from people saying the X-division is just another cruiserweight title now and should be restored to what it was.

It always has been basically a cruiserweight title with an occasionally big man (samoa joe) being thrown into the mix. So how is that any different from now.

While I am still very leary about the Hogan-Bischoff regime, one thing Bischoff did very well was create and pushed a very good cruiserweight division in WCW, so hopefully he will be able to do the samething with the X-division

I don't understand the complaining from people saying the X-division is just another cruiserweight title now and should be restored to what it was.

It always has been basically a cruiserweight title with an occasionally big man (samoa joe) being thrown into the mix. So how is that any different from now.

While I am still very leary about the Hogan-Bischoff regime, one thing Bischoff did very well was create and pushed a very good cruiserweight division in WCW, so hopefully he will be able to do the samething with the X-division

Well, in terms of when I said restore it, I didn't mean 'make it less Cruierweight-ish.' I enjoy that aspect of it. I mean, put the right amount of importance and attention to it.

I like when the occasional big man gets put in, because a small guy has more to work with, with the 'bigger canvas.' Nonetheless, it just needs the right amount of shine. That's all I meant. I agree with the majority of your post.

I don't know what would be the point of changing the X divison title when you already have the global title. I would rather see TNA change the name of the global title-how is it different than the World title? Change it to TV or North American or Continential, something different. Then keep the X division as is. I don't know that Bischoff has any problem with the X division. If you remember, WCW had some great cruiserweights when he was in charge. The first hour of Nitro would always have a great cruiserweight match.

while doug williams isnt your cruiserweight he isnt the first "over 215" to hold the belt...... siaki held the belt, as did joe.... the purpose of the x-divsion is to have no limits aka anyone who can pull off crazy spots..... its not a cruiserweight belt,althought many who held the belt are def not hws....williams has the style to hold the belt...... the new taping havnt been shot yet so we have no idea whats gonna happen with the global title......i think in the long run we will see that become the midcard title...as now EY's rule is no longer in effect due to him dropping the belt to terry at a houseshow

It should definitely not be phased out. The division is going through a bit of a slump, but everyone knows the potential for great feuds are there, and the matches (as clusterfucked as they are) are still highly entertaining.

The division is heading in a new direction now, with Kendrick and Williams bringing the ground game into the mix, and with the upcoming Destination X pay-per-view, we may start seeing the rebirth sooner, rather than later.

The X Division, really the mid-card title scene in TNA altogether, is virtually meaningless right now. Over much of last year, emphasis was taken away from the X Division and the X Division title and placed more on the Legends title. The problem with that is that, for the past several months, the Legends title has become more meaningless than the X Division title.

In the X Division, there are no emphasis on any feuds and matches just seem to pop up almost random. There are practically no stories or build up to anything that happens in the X Division. Matches are thrown together, the TNA marks get to chant "this is wrestling" for a few minutes, the match ends and it then forgotten about 5 minutes later. That essentially sums up the X Division as it is right now in my view.

As for the X Division ppv, eh I dunno. Maybe it'll work out for the best. Problem is that there's not really anybody in the X Division that anyone gives a crap about and/or has been used so poorly that their presence will be all but a non-factor.

i think it should stay i mean guys like sabin,styles,joe and daniels made that title which helped put tna on the map i mean the ultimate x is one of the most unique matches there are but the GLOBAL title has to go

Well, considering the next PPV will be an all X division PPV, according to an InDemand PPV promotional blurb reading:

"The past, present, and future collide when the young guns of TNA take center stage in an all X-Division Pay-Per-View! TNA Wrestling presents Destination X LIVE! Sunday, March 21, 2010 on Pay-per-View."

I don;t think the X division will be going away soon, In fact, it looks like TNA is gonna give them more of a platform in the Hogan era than the Jarret Era ever gave them.

I don’t think that the X-division should be phased out by any means. As much as people complained that the X-division wrestling that TNA showcased was lacking in psychology and proper match structure there is no denying that the matches were enjoyable and fun to watch. TNA has at various stages been most notable for the matches carried out by their X-division wrestlers, it is a great starting platform, and one that established wrestlers can involve themselves in between main event storylines. When we consider that the current TNA champion AJ Styles gained much of his early fame from X-division matches it is clear that this division has been useful in establishing some of the main stars in TNA today.

I much also be remembered that the X-division is fast paced and exciting, which makes it eye catching and a good way to draw in casual fans. I know that when I have watched wrestling with non wrestling fans it has always been the X-division matches in TNA that have garnered the most interest. This shows that this division can be the gateway for many fans, where they watch for death defying cruiserweight action and eventually stay for the TNA product as a whole. The X-division is currently a staple of TNA’s product, and in my opinion is a necessary factor in separating it from WWE and drawing in non wrestling fans, as well as wrestling fans that are looking for something different.

I see your argument Schizophrenic, I really do. I just don't think it is necessary to phase out the very title that helped build TNA's legacy, and has always been a cornerstone of great and entertaining storylines and matches. Yes, the focus has been taken off of the X Division for the moment, and it is going through a noticeable slump. But all titles do that. If I could take away any belt in TNA, it would be the Global Championship. But that's another thread.

Hopefully putting the belt on Doug Williams can breathe some life back into the X scene. With a heel champion, an "outsider" to the division you could say, the mainstays in the X Division should be clamoring for a title shot. Plus, it would constantly be an interesting clash of styles in every bout...Williams' unique style vs. the various styles of his opponents. Who wouldn't mind seeing an Alex Shelley / Doug Williams match?

I would give the x-division title to Wolfe. Have a story that where he feels all the high flying action is BS and he is changing x-division wrestling to true technical wrestling. All the top rope moves make him sick, blah blah blah. You could have the high flyers come in and challenge. Even throw Hardy in the mix if he ever makes it back.

impactplayer2.bmp

Absolutely not should be faded out. They usually kick off a ppv and get the crowd into the show. I don't think Hogan and Bischoff are high on the X-Division, but I hope they realize the value they bring to the shows. To me, they often determine the course of the show, spotfest or not. Theres been no focus or storylines in the x-division for awhile, so I can see your point. But I think Williams as champ is a huge step forward. The guy can wrestle a technical style as well as a fast-pased match, so i think they're actually making gains in the x-division by having him as champ. I think real storylines can develop out of it for the first time in awhile.

The X-Division should never be phased out. Any part of the company has its ups and down and while it amy be in a slump now, I feel it's gonna bounce back better than ever. What I love his how the X-Division has pretty much every aspect of wrestling covered. You have the obvious high flyers in Amazing Red and Alex Shelley and the technical boys in Doug Williams and Brian Kendrick. It's got something for everyone. It's always cool to see two different styles go against each other and it's even cooler when two guys of the same style fight against each other.

What do you mean is it time? It's been phased out for years now. It's a glorified cruiserweight division and that exists to do nothing more than to get the crowd going. In all the time that TNA has existed, the X Title has been the focus of I believe one PPV: Unbreakable. It's not a big deal and it hasn't been for years. "It's about no limits." Bullshit. It's had Joe and then a bunch of small guys. Give me a break. The Division meaning anything is a freaking joke and it always has been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back