X Division Tag Titles?

TheWrestlo

Occasional Pre-Show
With the X division at its absolute worst right now, I thought ways to revamp the division, for months we've seen threads about how the X division needs new stars. But I think all the X division needs is a little bit of a bigger spotlight, hence the idea.

Can the X division be more successful with X division tag titles?

Now the teams still have to be under the weight limit. (if that even exists still.)
But with this idea i think the X division can be on the road to recovery. Start a tournament after Slammiversery, and the new champions will be crowned at Destination X.

Here are some teams just to start with

Joey Ryan and Robbie E (both egotistic about themselves with enforcers.)
Magnus and Doug Williams (just don't treat them like garbage like last time)
Bad Influence (Kaz and Daniels)
Sam Shaw and Alex Silva

Also to add more excitment to the idea bring in some new or old people to create new teams

Sonjay Dutt and Jay Lethal
Zema Ion and Dakota Darsow (If they put Darsow in his old Character from 2011)
Wes Brisco and Garrett Bischoff (w/Kurt Angle)
Kenny King and Mason Andrews

Thoughts?

The current tag division doesn't even really exist... why would they need to create new belts and re-label a seperate division when they struggle to support the divisions that are already there???

I get what you are saying, and I like the idea of tag teams made up of X-division talent that wrestle the "X" style, but there is no need to form a new division for them.

Kaz and Daniels could be labeled as an X-division tag team. The Motor City Machine Guns were also a X-division tag team, as was Lethal Consequences, Triple-x, and we could go on. The regular Tag division has always had teams that fit this mold, and I have no problem with TNA forming and building more in that vein, but a new division to house them simply is not needed.

I would prefer that IW/TNA focuses more on building the main X-division before they try and spread it out into a specialized tag division as well. As someone said above there has been X-division wrestlers who have been in teams such as MCMGs and that worked out just fine, infact they were one of the best tag teams TNA has ever had.

Why try and run before you can walk?

There were rumbelings about TNA creating X division tage titles back when the show first aired on Fox Sports Net. They had SO much X division talent at the time that it would have worked back then, but now they barley even have a normal tag team division. So, at the moment this idea doesn't get my vote. However if they get rid of the Knockouts Tag Titles, restock the X division, replenish the regular tag division and get a second show (6:05 on Saturday nights :worship:)I think it might be cool!... but that is a lot of ifs ands and buts!

Maybe in 04-08, now I just don't see it working now as both the x ang tag team divisions are dismal compared to what they were 5 years ago. The current X-Division consists of about 5 people, if that. And there's maybe 4 tag teams. Adding another tittle when they can barely sustain the divisions they already have isn't good business.

Why would they create an X Division Tag Team division when they already have the X Division and a Tag Team Division that both still need work at the moment? I won't even START on the Knockout Tag Team Championships. When the first and second sets of tag belts are not doing well then there is absolutely no reason to bring in a third set. I do like the ideas of the teams from the opening post, but those angles and teams should be used for the Tag Team Division that already exists. Until they would have the need to ever create an X Division Tag Team Division, they should avoid doing so or else the belts would fade into obscurity almost immediately.

They are rebuilding the X Division and the Tag Division (starting to get the pieces in place but still far from where these divisions once were), so how do you plan on supporting an X Division Tag Title division exactly?

Even if the X Division and Tag Division were thriving as they once were, there's simply no need at all for an X Division Tag Titles, having a tag division is more than enough. If you want an X Division style tag team match, then you throw a couple of teams that can work that style into a tag team match, in the tag team division, much like the MCMG and Young Bucks were doing. You don't need a whole division for just that alone. Kaz/Daniels/AJ/Angle worked some great cluster fucker X Division ish tag team matches in recent times.

Look at the teams you are suggesting, why do they warrant their own Tag Division? how are you going to fit them all in around the other tag teams? why can't they just work with the other tag teams instead?

It's like making the Knockouts tag titles. See where that went?

There are seperate divisions and separate championships. If they want Silva and Ryan to team, they'd go for the tag titles, not make an X Division Tag Title, just for them. I hope they learned from the mistake of KO Tag belts and will never do anything like that again. But with TNA you will never know.

There is absolutely no point of X-Division tag team titles, there are nowhere near enough tag-teams, especially X-Division style tag teams in TNA to make this worthwhile.

TNA needs to focus on the ACTUAL X-Division, rather than adding yet more title belts to their programming. The X-Division itself is weak right now, as is the Knockout division and they need to scrap the totally pointless KO Tag Titles, and most of all the Tag-Team division itself is as a load of crap, and needs some serious boosting and giving another set of tag straps would be totally pointless.

I know WCW had the Cruiserweight Tag Team titles but they had a much stronger roster of lightweight, high-flying wrestlers than TNA currently does, and even then it wasnt much of a success. TNA has much more important things to focus on that adding these belts. It is an interesting idea, but not required right now.

Sorry, but I hate this idea.
You already have the Knackouts Tag Team belts, and how are they on?
Don't need several belts for TNA.

While i'm on this subject, they need to rethink the TV title too.
Change it. I liked it when it was the Global Title. ANd that should be defended each week. Need to get rid of the AWFUL Jeff Hardy Title too. Gives the original title on prestige to it.

I've never really seen the point of a company having secondary tag team titles. When Jim Crockett Promotions had the NWA United States Tag Team Championship, it just felt like a reason to give a tag team championship belts to carry around. It'd be no different in the X Division in TNA. TNA already has a set of tag team titles to just put on somebody for the sake of carrying it around. It's called the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Championship.

As others have mentioned, TNA's primary tag team division hasn't been setting the world on fire for a while, which is a shame as it used to be top notch. Right now, Chavo & Hernandez seem like two guys just carrying the straps around for a while just as Daniels & Kazarian before them and probably like Joey Ryan & Matt Morgan later on if they're given a run with the titles.

Sadly, I disagree to the original post in the thread. As exciting as it could be, the X-Division Tag Team belts would simply be another set of props with not too much meaning to them. The tag division as it is right now is sorely lacking.

If TNA were a bigger company with a lot more resources and about 10x the fanbase than I'd say this would be a great idea. That's not a knock against TNA or Impact Wrestling; they're in a decent place for their age and network. Not great, but decent.

I would actually love a company like WWE to return to a more precise divisional approach to wrestling. Right now both WWE and TNA are kind of "anything goes" with their titles, and it devalues them, in my opinion. I'm a big fan of the way New Japan does business. They have the World Heavyweight title, and the Light Heavyweight title. THey have the tag team division, and the Light Heavyweight tag team division. And they pull this off, because they're a pretty large company that can afford an expansive roster, and knows how to book well for all of them.

TNA in its current form isn't capable of managing another division. The current X-Division title holder is Rob Van Dam, who while a great athlete with impressive agility and speed, is not the typical X-Division style wrestler. Kenny King is more along the lines of what you're looking for. It's bad enough that they have a Knockouts tag division that hasn't been touched for the better part of a year.

So your idea is cool, in theory. If they could grow their audience and expand revenue enough to bring in a dozen more X-Division guys, then I'd say go for it. But that kind of thing would probably require another show too. One of the reasons WWE has been able to pull off things like that in the past is the division between Raw and Smackdown. Now that it no longer exists, the US title and the IC title just seems redundant. If TNA could get up in the 2.0 ratings range and compete with Smackdown every week, then you've got potential for what you're talking about. More ratings = more money = bigger roster = bigger venues.

Just to play fantasy booker for the hell of it, let's say TNA had two shows.

TNA Impact Wrestling (2-hour format)
-World Heavyweight Championship
-Tag Team Championship
-Knockouts Championship
-Knockouts Tag Team Championship

TNA Ambiguous Show Title #2 (1-hour format)
-TV Championship
-X-Division Championship
-X-Division Tag Team Championship

I don't want to see 4 hours of TNA TV every week. However, if they grew to a point where they needed expansion, I wouldn't mind seeing another show similar to a Superstars/Main Event/NXT type of thing. Put the whole X-Division on the show, give them a tag team division, and then throw the TV title as well for some variation back to "normal" wrestling. Defend the TV title every single week; could be the secondary gimmick of the show, after the XD.

Then Impact Wrestling becomes the more standard wrestling show. No more X-Division, except for maybe the occasional cross promotion. Focus ont he main event picture, and the tag team picture. No more TV title to confuse people and cloud the booking. Use that free time to push the Knockouts more, who for whatever reason bring in the big ratings. Tag team wrestling and Superstar-caliber main events. That's what Impact should be about.

That was fun. Thanks for the topic, and indulging my creative need to play fantasy booker every once in awhile.

We've been over this before with just about every other discussion surrounding adding titles to a roster that doesn't have the benefit of multiple time slot airings. These things never take off, or achieve success post take-off (hello, TNA Knockouts Tag Team Championships) because you simply lack the foundation to sustain them in the first place.

The barely-there X Division right now is made up of about three and a half wrestlers, once you combine them in their entirety:

1. Rob Van Dam, the walking dead champion who's done about as much with the title since winning it as he did for the division before ever having competed in it in the first place.

2. Kenny King, the somewhat young up-and-comer who is the divisons seemingly only saving grace, and a throwback to the style of wrestler in terms of in-ring performance and look (you know, that thing Amazing Red could only dream of having?) that gave eventual berth to stars like Styles and Daniels.

3. Joey Ryan, the fledgling "X Division" wrestler who is now in a tag team.

4. Zema Ion, who a lot of people see a future in – myself not being among them. But fuck it — for arguments sake, he can be counted to raise a list of what would have been just two and a half long had it not been for him as well.

5. And of course your rabble of oft-injured's and never seen's like Chris Sabin, Kid Kash and Jesse Sorensen — none of whom mean a thing to the weekly up's or down's of the division. If they left tomorrow, no one would notice. That's the thing about weekly television... you have to be seen and/or heard from to matter.​

So no, TNA can't support, nor should they give credence to the idea of putting forth a set of TNA X Division Tag Team Championships — especially when you consider how weak the Heavyweight division is in and of itself. No reason to dilute the talent pool any further. It's nearly reached an impasse as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back