Is It Time for a Wrestling Organization that Caters to a Mature Audience?

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
The question I pose in this thread comes from a theory that I have regarding fans of wrestling in its contemporary form. I will now go into this theory and show how I have come to the question that I now ask you.

As a national product, wrestling is still relatively new. Sure, professional wrestling in America has existed for quite some time. However, it wasn't until the 80s that it became "nationalized" through the efforts of Vince McMahon, Jr., and, to a lesser extent, the Crockett family. Concomitantly, the advent of basic cable allowed these aforementioned promoters the potential to create and maintain a base of fans unfounded upon their location in the United States and insusceptible to national mobility.

Now, let's assume three things (some safe, some not so safe): one, that American professional wrestling, as we know it, primarily targets and is watched by kids between the ages of 5 and 12; two, that, even as kids reach their teenage years, they will sporadically tune in to see what's going on in the world of professional wrestling; and, three, that professional wrestling can appeal to viewers through other ways than the wrestling itself (that is to say, it can appeal to viewers through storylines or the personae of wrestlers).

Now, combining the facts I have mentioned with the assumptions I have made leads to two important (although not necessarily profound) implications: one, the Attitude Era proved to be successful not because of its originality but precisely because it provided for those teenagers and young adults who composed the initial group of kids exposed to national wrestling material based on their age-specific interests; and, two, that ratings have subsequently fallen because the product has failed to consider the interests that are now specific to the aforementioned teenagers and young adults (who are now all in their twenties and early thirties). Consequently, I theorize that there is a currently untapped market of said twenty- and thirty-year-olds that would be willing and able to return to wrestling as avid fans if it proved to be interesting and, most importantly, empathetic.

So, based off of my spiel here, I think it goes without saying that I have the following to ask: Is the time nigh for a wrestling organization (or program) that appeals to adults? And, moreover, is it feasible?

Reactions: Tim
What an interesting thread!

To start off, I do think your target market logic is flawed. To say that professional wrestling targets kids aged 5 to 12 is instantly refutable. If the 5-12 year old age group were the target, the show would not start at 9:00 pm on both Monday and Tuesday nights. And the ads that run during commercials wouldn't be for the Army. If you recall, back in the 80's and early 90's when the WWF had shows on Saturdays at 11:00 am and Sundays at 12:00 pm, the commercials featured ads for the "wrestling buddies" and the "actions figures." Now, they hauk the DVD's.

That is not to say 5-12 year old's don't watch wrestling. My fiancee is a 1st grade teacher, and her kids watch it constantly. On her first day, a kid tried to test her by pulling his sweatshirt hood over his head and rolling his eyes into the back of his head. My fiancee looked at him and said "Brian...NO Undertaker!" Well, the kid lit up, and she's been his favorite teacher ever since.

But I digress. 5-12 year olds are not the WWE's target market.

I do hold a BA in Marketing, and from what I see, the target market of the WWE is Males ages 16-34, with a geowing emphasis on minorities, especially the increasingly purchase-powerful hispanic markets. What are the characteristics of the Hispanic Market? Well, a tremendous focus on the family unit (hence, something the parents can watch with their children), a focus on relationships rather than tasks (making the storyline exposition more important than the matches themselves), a disdain for authority figures (Hispanics and Latinos focus more on family interdependence rather than government / authority dependence), and a heavy focus on tradition (hence why Rey Mysterio keeps his mask on).

Where is IC25 going with this consumer exposition?

WWE does, and should focus on Smackdown as a show targeted towards Hispanic Families. It's on Network TV instead of Cable (a larger percentage of Anglos have cable than do Hispanics and Latinos), it's not on a school night (more feasible for "Family time"), and it's on earlier in the evening. Women's wrestling has a lessor influence on SD, in part due to the fact that the Hispanic Market puts more emphasis on the physical dominance of the male in the family unit.

RAW, on the other hand, SHOULD be marketed towards the more "mature," professional, largely Anglo audience. Perhaps a little more violent, perhaps a touch more raunchy, and certainly more "cutting edge" with creative matches and women's wrestling. To answer the thread starter's question, RAW can feasibly be the show for the "more mature audience" and target the 16-34 year old male demographic.

I think they do that now, and I think they do it very well.

Now, combining the facts I have mentioned with the assumptions I have made leads to two important (although not necessarily profound) implications: one, the Attitude Era proved to be successful not because of its originality but precisely because it provided for those teenagers and young adults who composed the initial group of kids exposed to national wrestling material based on their age-specific interests;
This assumption is false.

The Attitude Era was successful for the same reason that Jerry Springer was successful. Because of raunch and shock tv. Once the raunch and shock became standard and mundane, the popularity of wrestling waned.

and, two, that ratings have subsequently fallen because the product has failed to consider the interests that are now specific to the aforementioned teenagers and young adults (who are now all in their twenties and early thirties).
They've been falling every year since 2001, and the WWE was still putting on the same type of programming in 2002 that they were in 1998.

Consequently, I theorize that there is a currently untapped market of said twenty- and thirty-year-olds that would be willing and able to return to wrestling as avid fans if it proved to be interesting and, most importantly, empathetic.
You may submit that theory, but it probably doesn't ring true.

Historically, wrestling fans tend to lose interest between the ages of 25-30. Is that a fact? No, just merely an observation. Because, if you go back and look, you'll generally find it to hold true. It's why you see young faces in the crowd a lot more than you see old. So, trying to target a market that isn't really interested just isn't sound strategy.

Besides, we've HAD companies that target to the older fans. They all failed.
I do hold a BA in Marketing, and from what I see, the target market of the WWE is Males ages 16-34
I disagree. I think the target market of the WWE is PEOPLE from the age of 5-25. Historically, wrestling fans tend to lose interest between the ages of 25-30.

Wrestling has always catered to two types of fans. The gullible and the impressionable. No one is more gullible than 8 year old children and no one is more impressionable than 13-21 year olds. It's just a fact. The WWE targets their programming to these various age groups. I mean, is a 19 year old fan going to find The Boogeyman entertaining? Are they going to read the WWE Kids magazine? Are they going to buy the Teddy Bears? Of course not. But they will watch crotch chops, and hate financial successes, whereas that doesn't mean a whole lot to a 7 year old.

As far as the "male" part of your argument, again that's flawed. By its very nature, wrestling is going to appeal more to men than women. It's just the American culture. But, as great as he was, John Cena wasn't top guy just because of his ability to put on great matches. HBK wasn't in Playgirl because of a boyhood dream. The WWE constantly seeks to gather a well-rounded market. Obviously, they know where their bread is buttered, but at the same time, they expand their product to put in things that appeal to women, such as a women's wrestling division on both shows, and main-eventing the best looking guys.

with a geowing emphasis on minorities, especially the increasingly purchase-powerful hispanic markets.
Well, that's one way to put it.

But I think the better statement is "a growing emphasis on monopolizing the wrestling market by catering to the needs of ALL types wrestling fans". Yeah, they target Hispanics, because they like wrestling, and no one in America has appealed to them. So, the WWE does. There's a smark culture out in America, so you have Chris Jericho be your champion...right after CM Punk is your champion.

Who gives the female fans the type of wrestling they want? The WWE. Who gives children wrestling they want? The WWE. Who gives smarks the wrestling they want? The WWE. Their quest is for world domination, but first they have to secure the allegiance of all types of domestic fans.

The WWE is turning themselves into Wal-Mart. Where anything you want, you can get with the WWE.

It's all about catering to ALL fans.

One thing I have to rebuke you on, Sly. The term "Target Market" in no way means "Only Market."

Am I saying that with the target market of professional wrestling being males, that the WWE shouldn't go after females? Absolutely not! But they won't target them as heavily as they will males. Yes, EVERY company seeks a well-rounded market, from demographic to psychographic (lifestyle choices). Playboy magazine, by nature, attracts pubescent boys and pervs. But the articles are inciteful and seem to cater to an upscale audience. That's market diversification, but it doesn't change the TARGET market.

And just because I say that the WWE is targeting Hispanics and Latino's in growing numbers, does that mean they don't or shouldn't target a very lucrative Asian market? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean it's the TARGET market. Again, that's market diversification, and the sign of a strong marketing team at WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back