Is it right to hound a public figure or celebrity when they are with their family?

Arkham Noir

With black birds following me
I had a strange dream last night; I dreamt that I met eminem in a grocery store. However, when I saw him, he was with his daughter, who for some strange reason was still only five years old. I remember that my brother wanted to go meet him but I told him to leave Em alone because he was with his daughter, yet a group of people then proceeded to crowd him any ways and he was forced to leave and escape the mob of people.

I know there are alot of things that don't make sense about the scenario (why eminem is shopping for groceries in Ontario for one), but the actual mobbing from fans isn't anything new. Turn on TMZ at any given time and you see fans rushing for autographs while celebrity A is out getting a cup of coffee. Normally I understand and accept that because it is part of being a public figure, but what about when they are out with their kids or relatives? Is it right to crowd them and start bugging them with questions , autographs, etc.?

I say no. While they may be public figures, people have to remember that they are still human beings. When they make official appearances, then by all means, bug the shit out of them at will, but not when they are with their family having dinner. Number one, it's rude to interrupt a family dinner, and number two, its their personal time.

The way I see it, their job, whether it's acting, singing, wrestling, or whatever the case may be is just a job. Like all other jobs, there are certain times when you are on duty, and times when you are off duty. Off duty is the time to leave them alone. I'm not saying this just about the fans either, I think it's ridiculous that we live in a society where photographers hide in bushes just to capture a picture of someone getting their nails done, and then a million people will buy the magazine just to see the picture. How has any picture of any celebrity doing normal, everyday activities ever improved the life of anyone in any kind of way?

Absolutely not. I think celebrities do people a favor when they actually tolerate pictures and people asking for autographs out in the street as it is, let alone when they're out with their families. I think it's wrong for people to feel entitled to speak with anyone who's famous simply because they ran into them at a store somewhere.

They don't have to do any of those things, ever, but they do, and sometimes they even set up events where they present opportunities to do so. But when they're out trying to live a normal life, honestly, just leave them alone.

Well, it just seems to be the decent thing to do to leave a celebrity alone when they happen to be out and about with their children. Some celebrities, due to whatever job or project they might be involved with, might not get to spend nearly as much time with their families as they'd like. As a result, just being able to get out with them might be a real treat for all involved. I can understand maybe going up to the person and asking very nicely if they wouldn't mind. You know, tell them that you don't really mean to interrupt their private time with their family but you just saw them and figured you'd ask. If they were to say no, I'd say they'd say so with equal grace and I'd have no problem with that.

When it comes to the paparazzi, however, I have to say that all bets are off. Whenever celebs are out promoting a movie or tv show or cd release, they go out of their way to get as much press attention as they possibly can when it's convenient for them. However, to piss and moan about reporters and photographers following them around on their time just seems a little hypocritical to me. There's an old saying that says you can't have it all and I think that's true. If you want to live your life as a public figure then there are certain sacrifices that I think you have to be prepared to make. It might not seem to be fair but nobody ever said that life was supposed to be fair.

People should just leave celebrities alone for the most part. They are people just like you and me and they deserve a right to their own privacy. They way people craze over celebrities is insane. To kids, fans, the paparazzi to anyone, let them be once in awhile. I could understand the hype though. Its not often you might see your favorite celebrity in your neighborhood but you shouldn't lose yourself in a fit of emotional rage and storm the poor people. They should be approached and you should politely ask for his or her autograph or picture.

Privacy is probably the hardest part about being a public figure or celebrity. With there family or not you should have the decency to let them enjoy their time with their family . But some people can`t help themselves I mean..if you saw your favorite celebrity walking down your street tomorrow with their family and you knew this might be the only opportunity you had to meet them..what would you doÉ

This one's going to be pretty short. I'd say no it's not right about 98% of the time. However at times when a celebrity is accused of some sort of crime where they likely were guilty and they have their family with them just to sheild them from questionning I think obviously it is unfair on the family, but that the person should be man enough to come forward and make some sort of statement regarding their actions. This apllies particularly to high-power politicians ie after Tony Blair decided to ignore the national reffurendum and take Britain to war and he happened to be out with his family, it is unfortunate but he can't be found hiding in plain view, he should talk to the press as soon as he is found by them.

But I agree that almost all of the time yes, when someone is just out and about and currently out of the public eye they should be left alone. Then again I guess you can't always blame the press when someone is in the news at that time, your pretty likely to be sought after.

I am going to go with a yes and no. On the yes side, they knew when they became an actor, musician, pro athlete etc, that people would want photos, autographs, etc. If they take their child out in public, they are also choosing to expose their children to that life. So on some level, there is a reasonable expectation that as a celebrity, they need to suck it up and accept the demands their chosen lifestyle brings them. Also, most of the time, celebs enjoy the attention, enjoy the interaction.

At the same time, fans can be pushy assholes, and celebs can have bad days too. So, I would say that there have to be limits to their generosity towards fans. If you approach a celeb to get a photo taken or something, if they hesitate, indicate that they are busy, or otherwise unavailable, back the fuck off, don't get in their face. Say nice to meet you, and walk away quietly. Don't be a douchebag. Ask once, if they say no, be gracious and leave. If you are polite, they may seek you out when they are finished and try to accommodate you.

I'm going to stick with the majority of the crowd on this one and say that it's not right for the common person to just run up to the said celebrity while (s)he is out with their family. The main reason being is because the time that said celebrity is out with their family is perhaps the only real free time that they will get at all. Most, if not all celebrities are always busy - leaving their family out on a limb and not frequenting enough time with them. So the little free time they get should be used to the best extent possible, not be used to please the masses.

However, with that said, as Jack-Hammer clearly pointed out, there is a fine line between paparazzi appearances and casual family public appearances. If said celebrity is out promoting a film, music tour, general products, etc - it should be their job to gardner as much attention from the public as possible. It's their job to get as much publicity as possible. Therefore, any comnplaints/moanings should be put aside as that is the road they chose and that is the road they have to stick to.

Overall, the general public should not be rushing a celebrity while (s)he is out with their family. That is their time to be with those closest to them; and it should be left at that. Unfortunately, such ideology is rarely the case as even if you were to scold the masses about it, they would still keep rushing these celebrities regardless of who or what they are doing outside of the privacy of their own home. Sompe people never learn. They think that just because they see someone famous they can just run up to them and bombard them with the most trivial of things.

Alas, such is the life of a celebrity.

Interesting dream dude.

My argument has always been that famous or not, celebrities are human beings just like the rest of us. Because of this, they deserve no real special treatment. I see no problem with the casual approach of said celebrity in asking them for an autograph, with family or without. They knew what line of work they were getting into, and enjoy the perks and the fame that goes with it. It should be expected that autograph seekers are a part of this.

However, a part of being human is a tiny issue called respect. I differentiate completely between the idea of asking and hounding. To approach someone and ask for their autograph is one thing, to continue to hound them is another. I know that when Im out with my wife or family, I don't mind if people approach me, whatever the reason. The problem I would have would be the person who stops by my table to chat or ask me questions six and seven times during my meal. The same rule should be applied to celebrities in these cases. I dont see the necessary problem, per se, in asking for an autograph. But if they said no, respect and common sense says to leave it at that, and leave them alone.

When I was in graduate school, I waitered at a restaurant very close to where the Pittsburgh Steelers held training camp every summer. It was a fireable offense to even approach them, and we were told at the request of the team that we discourage all customers from approaching them whatsoever. While it seemed heavy-handed to me at first, the rationale behind it does not. Many times, they had just come off a long day of practice, as well as signing autographs. This was their down time with their family and teammates, and they wanted it to remain that way. In that regard, I completely understand where they were coming from. Training camps offer the opportunity for one to get an autograph from an athlete, and in these situations, thats the proper time and place to do so.

So to me, it really is a simplistic argument. I see no problem whatsoever in approaching a celebrity when they're out in public to get an autograph and the like. But just as you and I would like our free time to be respected, if a person says no, the proper thing to do is leave them alone. Anything more then that is disrespectful to them as human beings and crosses the line.

Short reply
No, it's not right to hound them at any point and especially not when they're with their family. My sister is particularly bad with this "Celebrity Culture" obsession which is why when I'm walking around London I stubbornly refuse to tell her if I see someone famous until they've moved on.
My rules on how I treat people never change. I treat people how I want to be treated and in their situation, I'd never leave the house if I was going to be harassed all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back