Is Hulk Hogan REALLY The Draw He Once Was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I know that Hogan was the biggest draw in the history of the business back in his day but, in all honesty, is he still as much of a signifigant draw as a lot of us think that he is? I think it could depend upon exactly what sort of role Hogan will have in TNA and what he plans to do with the level of control he's now said to have within the company. Hogan still has his name, but his name alone hasn't really been yielding as much success as he'd hoped with his more recent wrestling enedeavors.

During the PMG Clash of Legends event back in April 2007, in which Hogan co-promoted, only drew 2,200 fans in total which was well below what they were hoping and expecting. I believe that it's also been reported that ticket sales for the Hulkamania tour in Australia have been pretty low.

Now, since TNA is banking on Hogan's name and everything that's come along with it at times, could Hogan ultimately be a consistent big draw for TNA or could interest quickly dry up?

Obviously he's not the draw he once was, wrestling isn't even the draw it once was.

I assume the PMG Clash Of Legends show was the one headlined by Hogan & Big Show. I remember reading it was a flop as well. But that's still 2,200 fans who went to see Hogan. And considering TNA won't be leaving the iMPACT Zone any time soon it'll probably make for some very full venues if Hogan fans become additional TNA fans.

Hogan will be a draw for TNA. But won't be making TNA into a legimate challenger to WWE. And like most wrestlers, if he appears week in and out he'll become just another roster member. It's a coup for TNA, they'll need to take advantage quickly.

yes and no. i mean its hulk hogan so there has to be some exitement. of course they are going to promote the hell out of him and he will deffinatelly draw some more viewers but he is nothing compared to what he was. with all the examples you gave they just saw hogan wrestle, not actually get into a storyline or in a feud. wrestling is 100% different when you add that part to it. i wouldnt have bought tickets either just to see hulk wrestle. hes old and slow. theres no way those matches were or will be very exiting. but adding a storyline to it changes everything.

the next few impacts should have some big ratings but they really have to focus on keeping that audiance tuned in. the initial shock value will fade fast and unless they come up with a good storyline for him then views wont stay tuned just to see hogan

I think about it this way. Hulk Hogan is pro wrestling's version of a '63 Chevy. Growing up, you see this car and it's awesome. It's fast, powerful, intense, and whenever you see it, you just have to watch it. You read about it. You're a fan.

That car comes back 10-15 years later, and your so sentimental that you get all worked up about it again. What a machine. It's a throwback, and they just don't make them like that anymore.

Years later, you see that same car in a massive car wreck. It's bent and broken. You still stare at it, but also say to yourself "I can't believe this happened to that car!"

And then, ever further down the line, that same car is restored and rests in a museum. You happen to walk by it and you remember how cool you once thought it was. And you sit and stare for a few moments...and then you move on. Because, hell, they don't make them like this anymore, but today's cars can smoke this thing...AND get better gas mileage.

That's Hogan. He was the '63 Chevy in his first WWF run. Then again in WCW. You got sentimental when he returned to the WWE against the Rock and as Mr. America. When Hogan Knows Best came out and his divorce went public, you couldn't help but stare. TNA is his museum. You'll watch with a mix of curiosity and sentimentality, but you're no longer as excited anymore.

Hogan is a '63 Chevy - classic, interesting, but not what it used to be...

How could Hogan be the draw that he once was? No one sells out an arena of 93,000 people forever. That's not the point though. What does Hulk Hogan bring NOW to TNA? Yes, Hogan now, that broken down classic car that many of us still hold with some relevence. He brings marketing. Hogan still is one of the more marketable figures in professional wrestling, despite his old age. More people know his name than any other wrestler's name. He's a personality that people want to see.

For TNA, I think they are using Hogan to get that mainstream exposure. At 1.1 in the ratings, if they really want to make a big splash and turn things around, Hulk Hogan is a start. He isn't the solution, but he will get more heads to turn in the other direction from WWE and take notice. That's what Bischoff's goal was in WCW as well: make people hear the other company knocking, take a look, and say "I like that. I'll go over there." In that sense, Hogan can still be a draw. Obviously, this isn't the 1980s or 90s. But Hogan has shown the ability to capture lightning in the bottle on multiple occasions, even when old age should have barred him from doing it. I'm just hoping Hogan doesn't get in the ring all too often.

If Hogan has truly learned his lessons from the past, the younger stars like A.J., Daniels, MCMG, and others will be more prominently featured. That was, I believe, THE MAJOR death blow to WCW: the inability to push new, younger talent until it was too late. Hogan will draw when the time calls for it, but can Hogan write what needs to be written? That's the question.

Without out a doubt, I still think that Hogan is a draw but the length of this agreement depends is the X-factor.

In the short term, I think that this will benefit TNA. I'm not a huge TNA fan, but I can't wait to hear the pop that he gets when confronts someone like Samoa Joe for the first time.

For this to be mutually successful, I feel that Hogan should take on a Commissioner/GM position - a position that will feature him on a weekly basis.

To answer the question: Yes, Hogan is still a draw. But to what extent will remain to be seen based on the length of his deal.

All respect to everyone Hogan is still Hogan. I mean growing up Hogan was the face of pro wrestling. Hogan is still A draw but his personal problems will more than likely out way him being a draw.

Geez, how many Hogan-Tna threads are we going to have.

But in seriousness, no I do not think Hogan is going to be a big draw. Many people who I talk to who use to be casual wrestling fans or at least know who Hogan is, all they did was laugh and said things like "Wow is he still alive" or "Isn't he like 110 years old". None of them at any intent to watch TNA wrestling because Hogan is going to be on it.

And the few wrestling fans I know, said yes they will watch it for a couple of weeks, just to see what kind of trainwreck it is going to turn into

i still think he is a pretty big draw. i mean we'll find out in the next couple weeks if all the world thinks he is still a big draw by the ratings the TNA gets in the next couple of weeks.

Hogan obviously isn't as big a draw as he once was but due to his name value he is still a big draw nonetheless. What people who are so heavily in favor of this move seem to be forgetting or overlooking is that having Hulk Hogan alone does not make a company exempt to failure. Hogan was still in WCW when WCW went down the toilet, so just because Hogan is in your company doesn't mean it can't fail miserably.

Ultimately, it comes down to what TNA does with this opportunity and how good the writing is not just for Hogan, but within the rest of the company so that the viewers who tune in to watch Hogan end up becoming fans of the entire product. Hogan is a draw, but not forever. And "not forever" can be much sooner than expected if the writing isn't good enough.

The WWE really isn't the draw it used to be and neither is Hogan or wrestling in general. Hogan was a transcendent star and got wrestling into the mainstream however that was in the 80's and 90's let's just say times have changed.

I really think it's a big get for TNA I'm interested in seeing what their creative members will do with him should be good.

Hogan will always be a draw. I think he will bring in the older wrestling fans who enjoy the wrestling aspect of "sports entertainment" over the entertainment aspect targeted toward the younger kids.

My hope is that Hogan will bring people who don't watch TNA in, and that the younger talent, real wrestling, and better storylines keep them tuning in.

Hogan isn't the big draw he used to be for sure. On the flip side, Hogan still has a lot to offer. Hogan could be a huge help in regards to TNA because honestly, Hogan and Bischoff know more about wrestling than TNA's entire back office. If Hogan can get past his ego this time and help make stars instead of burying them, TNA could take off. I think TNA has the pieces in place to possibly be real competition for the WWE, but the obviously don't know how to put the puzzle together. Hogan and Bischoff might know how to.

All in all, I think we'll all know in a few months if Hogan is going to be helpful or destructive. But like I said, if Hogan realizes that he can't go in the ring anymore, and uses his vast knowledge to help make new stars, than TNA will do well, if not, it will probably be the final nail in the coffin for them, because I don't know how much Hogan is making with TNA, but one thing is certain, he didn't come cheap.

The show he did in Memphis vs Big Show only drew 2200? Wow, I understand that was in a stadium too. I went to his book signing in NYC and it only drew 300 people, which is a lot less than I expected(at least 500). I guess he isn't the big draw he used to be.

I think it is entirely unreasonable to say that the Hulkster is the draw he used to be. After all, the man drew 93,000 people to the Silverdome!

But I ask you this: Who is a bigger draw in the WWE right now?

I would say that the Undertaker, Jericho and DX are all ahead of Hogan right now and that's about it.

Drawing power reduced, Hogan is still an enormous name for TNA and will get eyeballs on their product. That's the biggest thing from this signing anyways.

Hogan is nowhere near the draw he was in the 80s and 90s, but he will bring in more new fans to TNA. But it's up to TNA to keep those fans interested enough to keep watching. Hogan is a smart guy and Bishoff is smarter still (not to mention they've been in the business a long time), so they know what they are doing. I hope they start by removing Russo from TNA and booking some new good matches and storylines, ones worthy of TNA's talents. Well, ether way wrestling just got more interesting and TNA is gonna get more fans attention.

The fact is he was signed to get people talking about him in TNA. It is getting a lot of attention. What are we all doing? Giving it attention. That is all this move is all about.

Friends of mine who dont even like wrestling and have no clue what TNA is called me yesterday to see if I heard Hogan was coming back to wrestling. In my life I have always said that their are 6 mens names you can say and everyone will no who you are talking about no matter where you are in the world. They go in this order Jesus Christ, Muhammed Ali, Hitler, Elvis, John Wayne, and Hulk Hogan. Enough said.

I have always said that their are 6 mens names you can say and everyone will no who you are talking about no matter where you are in the world. They go in this order Jesus Christ, Muhammed Ali, Hitler, Elvis, John Wayne, and Hulk Hogan. Enough said.

You're kidding right? If you are then excuse me, but this is a wrestling message board thread so you can never be sure. Please tell me you realize Hulk Hogan isn't as popular as those guys?

And by the way, you left out Michael Jackson and Martin Luther King...pretty sure more people know them than John Wayne and maybe even Hitler. Ali also isn't more popular than Jackson and King.

Anyway, the point of this reply is to say that I hope you don't think Hogan is THAT popular and I just hope you were kidding. Hogan may be a household name in the U.S. but let's not push it.

I think of it like this, terry bollea is the shell of something that USED TO BE bigger than life, the key word is used to be, and i really like that comparasin of him to an old car, becuse that is what he was, back when we were young, Hulk Hogan, was the equalization of nuthing other than THE Man, the TRUE WRESTLING GOD, but now what is he, he is a 56 year old man, divorced, apparantly a bad father, and a shell of a man that is craving the Good fame that he used to have, so in other words

"Look its a bird, its a plane, no wait its a 60 year old man trying to relive himself at 20 years old"

In my job I travel to several countries and belive it or not Hogan is that famous. People forget that WWE was one of the first or actually probably the first ppv that started being available in most of the world. Your probably right though Micheal Jackson should be in there as well, but honestly while MLK was great he isnt that famous worldwide.

Is he a 1980's/nWo level draw? Well, probably not. But since he's announced, he's been on Larry King, Howard Stern, and Jimmy Fallon. That's not bad. More exposure then TNA is used to.

Look I don't care how much you travel or how many countries you've been to, how old and wordly you are, I really don't care. There is absolutely no way Hulk Hogan's popularity is in the same class as those people. I'm as much a wrestling fan as anybody, but I'm also a realist. Hogan is not in the same class as Muhammad Ali, Elivis, and Jesus H. freakin Christ. And there is no 'probably' about it. Michael Jackson is still probably the most recognizable person and name in the entire world. As for Martin Luther King, I'm thinkin he has to be on the same level as Hitler worldwide.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree but not for nothin, I am saddened and shocked to the core that you were actually serious. I was thinking you'd call me a ****** for thinking you were serious, but God help me you were serious. Hulk Hogan is not in the same class as Jesus Christ, etc.

Now look, Hogan is HUGE. Don't get me wrong. And YES he is a household name in the U.S. And this DOES give TNA some exposure. BUt to further illustrate my point (I can't believe I have to) but imagine Hulk Hogan appearing in TNA vs. any of those other names appearing in TNA on a long term schedule. If Muhammadi Ali's brain wasn't fried and he appeared iN TNA in a storyline for weeks, there'd be NO DOUBT it would bring in viewers. Whereas HOgan still leaves plenty of doubt. I don't know if that's a good point seeing as how Hogan is a wrestler and those guys aren't, but even if it's the worst point ever, I assure you that Hogan is not in the same class as those guys. If he was, then people would tune in to whatever he did. That's not the case as he has had some failed projects and even failed book signings as someone posted earlier.

Hogan's return will be a flash in the pan, so to speak....I stopped caring about Hulkamania when I was 9 or 10 and his role in the NWO watered down the faction. The NWO wasn't just supposed to be an attack on the WCW promotion, it was supposed to be an attack on so-called "tradition" and the good ol boys who were hanging around past their prime. Remember the phrase tradition bites, NWO 4 Life? IMO, Hogan spoiled the group....Anyway, I digress...Will he bring a few old fans back? Maybe, but only for a time. Can TNA compete against RAW? Oh hell no.

Hogan does not have the drawing power that he once had. He still has the fans who knew how good he was 15-20 years ago, but now Fan bases have changed and fans are younger and they wont know Hogan like we knew him and he wont draw from them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back