Is going to church really that important?

Most organized religion is taught by a charismatic few who typically spew bullshit. The bible was a collection of books (who decided which books) written in a language that most people can't read nowadays. Translated into Greek, then latin (and those people were in power so yea, they had an agenda) to old english, to modern english. Most of the original text is gone. Most people who can read old hebrew say that what is left sounds like it was written in storytelling form from the time, not fact telling.

All of that adds to a lot of bullshit spoken by priests. The gospels contradict each other, one says jesus was baptised just him, another says there were tons of people, on says jesus acted like it was a big deal, another says he acted like it wasn't.

Here's what I think, I think there is a God and that he's not going to send you to hell if you don't believe everything in the bible is true, if you're gay, or even if you're an athiest. To me, someone who says "yea you were a good person but you weren't on my side" sounds like a POLITICIAN (the guys that translated it into Latin).

Those are all reasons I don't like organized religion. A lot of them preach hysteria like Glenn Beck that isn't based on any fact or even any legit theological reasoning.

When everyone starts believing the same bullshit then others who differ get singled out. I live in Springfield, MO and I HATE it. They make me ashamed that they call themselves christians. These people, will talk to someone, know that they are a perfectly good person, then say "too bad you're going to hell for being a jew". How do they know? Or they'll protest concerts by bands they don't agree with, or they'll "talk to you about jesus" as they put it.

Organized religion doesn't let people think (most of the time) for themselves. Even the first story of humans in the bible (which I think is a bullshit story made up by someone in power) is about "ignorance is bliss". think about it, Adam and Eve are not supposed to question god, to do what he says, to not question anything. It's really about being ignorant and a sheep (which is preached often). I don't know about you, but I don't think God would have given us these beautiful brains if he didn't want us to think and question things. I think, if the story of Adam and Eve is true, that god wanted them to question him. He wants us to struggle. Without struggle, there is no deeper learning.

Think of it like this, how many spoiled little brats (young and old, the "sorority betch" who drives her daddys convertible counts too) do you know who are actually good people? None. Without struggle we won't learn anything.

I kind of ranted, but the general narrow-mindedness and inability to use reason in general in the Christian community pisses me off. Most of them wouldn't be christians if they were raised jewish or muslim or athiest either. If someone is born on an island with no knowledge of christianity do they go to hell?

It's just a really silly clubhouse mentality that preachers preach. It pads their wallets. here in Springfield there are multi-million dollar churches. Yea, that's God's will. To me, church should be discussing God and how to improve as a person. Not sitting with hundreds listening to one guy who knows one religion's values speak. I wanna listen to the religion professor who knows everything about 5 religions and can actually read the ancient text.

Edit: As for homosexuality, what peter was referring to was love when you don't mean it, not loving someone of the same sex. That part of the text was taken from a letter he was writing to the public. It's legit. Most of the rest like "he who has no sin cast the first stone" are actually stories written in by scribes, or altered completely.

No its not, especially since th vast majority of churches are about vanity, and everything else besides God.

If God is truly God, he has better things to concern himself with than if you go to some place were people simply go make themselves feel like good people, instead of actually being good people. Ill continue to utilize my Sundays actually, y'know, being a good person.

Being good does not depend on church attendance. It depends on you being as charitable, loving, and caring as you can be to yourself and to others and being sincere at it.

To illustrate: you can be a resident of the local church and yet rape little boys, just as forgo attending and still be a deeply moral guy.

No, the way I was raised is that it does not matter whether you go or not as long as you believe. Suibon makes a good point, going to church does not make you a good person or a good believe, that must be judged by actions, morals and faith.

I agree with you mr. anus gaper, church is just a building, what matters is your relationship with God,no one can judge whats in your heart , thats between you and god. I to am a christian but i dont need to go to church but i chose to because i get alot out of the fellowship of fellow christians.Everybodys walk with the lord is different ,we all do what our hearts lead usto do, i understand why people dont like to go to curch, there are alot of churches that just dont feal right, thankfully i have found a good church and i really enjoy the time i spend there, ill pray that you can find one also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back