Is anyone else concerned with Ebola?

JohnJohnson

aka JuanJuanson
I know a lot of you don't live in the U.S. There has been an infected person in Spain(I believe) recently and of course we have had a couple now in the U.S. It always seemed like it would never enter our borders. A couple months back I heard of a doctor who had been exposed to it and returned to the U.S.

That was the begining of my concern, but then another man was infected in Libera and returned home. Originally he went to the doctor complaining that he was sick. He allegedly knew he was exposed to the virus as he was helping a relative in Liberia with the disease. He supposedly left this information out and was sent home with antibiotics. When he got worse he returned to the hospital. He was quarantined and so were the ambulance and the paramedics that brought him in.

Now the man has passed away, but one of the nurses that had treated him has just tested positive for the disease. It is a highly infectuos disease that can have up to a 90% fatality rate. What really sucks is that there is no telling how many people he could have come into contact with either at the airport, before his first visit, or between the two visits. What's even scarier, for me is that this is about a half hour from where I now live. I was at that same airport only 3 days prior. Not only this, but in less than two weeks, Hell in a Cell will be featured in the same city(Dallas). That means 15-20,000 people sitting closely together, using restrooms, sharing nachos etc under one roof in a city where there potentially could be citizens still walking around with the disease.

Any thoughts?

Considering that I have it and am currently spreading it to others in an insidious plot to destroy America...

Nah

No, it's not a highly contagious disease. SARS was four times as contagious. Measles is twice as contagious. It spreads easily in areas that have poor health sanitation practices, but when identified early, is easily contained. The reason it's growing at an exponential rate in Liberia is because they've been going through a slow moving civil war for the past twenty years or so and they have a non-existent health care system, plus burial practices which involve close physical contact with the dead. Elsewhere in Africa, total cases are growing at a linear rate, meaning that while an infection could still get out of hand, the percentage of population afflicted at a given time is remaining steady.

Ebola is in the news because a) this is the worst outbreak we've had of a virus that has name recognition in a while, despite being largely under control outside of Liberia, and b) it's a slow news cycle, since no one really gives a shit about the midterm elections. If you want to be scared of something, be scared of anti-vacc'ers, who are largely responsible for the current measles outbreak we're experiencing here in America. Two cases in the US aren't something to be concerned about; two developing into two hundred is.

Tbh, I'm more concerned about this new strand of drug-resistant TB that's sweeping through the valley where I live. Also, AIDS, because TIA.

I've heard on our news a few weeks ago that ebola is much less of a threat if you have greater access to clean water (have not heard this since and it seems largely forgotten now). Guess what a lot of places in Africa lack :(

Also, has anyone seen the Ebola-chan joke?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ebola-chan

Unsure if actually funny, though my main issue is: part of me thinks it's offensive, but a much more horrifying part of me enjoys it for precisely that reason. Thoughts?

No, it's not a highly contagious disease. SARS was four times as contagious. Measles is twice as contagious. It spreads easily in areas that have poor health sanitation practices, but when identified early, is easily contained. The reason it's growing at an exponential rate in Liberia is because they've been going through a slow moving civil war for the past twenty years or so and they have a non-existent health care system, plus burial practices which involve close physical contact with the dead. Elsewhere in Africa, total cases are growing at a linear rate, meaning that while an infection could still get out of hand, the percentage of population afflicted at a given time is remaining steady.

Ebola is in the news because a) this is the worst outbreak we've had of a virus that has name recognition in a while, despite being largely under control outside of Liberia, and b) it's a slow news cycle, since no one really gives a shit about the midterm elections. If you want to be scared of something, be scared of anti-vacc'ers, who are largely responsible for the current measles outbreak we're experiencing here in America. Two cases in the US aren't something to be concerned about; two developing into two hundred is.

It is less contagious than Measles or SARS but it is far more infectious. It takes as little as one virus to infect a person. Also, while it is true that the US has better resources, we are also more active and this outbreak has reached a large city. On top of that is the arrogance that it won't get us. One of the nurses that treated Thomas Duncan flew to Cleveland and back. On her way back she was showing signs of Ebola. Anyone on that plane can have it. It was a reckless move and there is no telling how many people she came into contact with while traveling. On that plane back to Dallas was a member of the Navy from my base who we now have quarantined. There are over 125 people under observation right now and at least 3 cases have already occured in Dallas. Also Spain and Germany have had cases as well. It is very real threat.

People just have weak immune systems these days. I had Ebola when I was a boy, and my mother sent me to school so that the other kids would get it. The other mothers didn't mind because it's better to catch it young.

Has anyone asked Dustin Hoffman what we should do? He seemed to be on top of things when that Ebola monkey started shit in California back in the 90's.

Has anyone asked Dustin Hoffman what we should do? He seemed to be on top of things when that Ebola monkey started shit in California back in the 90's.

I asked him. He gave me a bag of this:

1612270_ebo3_jpege741cdbe4272e4c18351e21c265d833b

He said he didn't need 3 so he gave me the free one.

The salt is nice and all, but in hindsight I probably should've asked a doctor.

It is less contagious than Measles or SARS but it is far more infectious. It takes as little as one virus to infect a person. Also, while it is true that the US has better resources, we are also more active and this outbreak has reached a large city. On top of that is the arrogance that it won't get us. One of the nurses that treated Thomas Duncan flew to Cleveland and back. On her way back she was showing signs of Ebola. Anyone on that plane can have it. It was a reckless move and there is no telling how many people she came into contact with while traveling. On that plane back to Dallas was a member of the Navy from my base who we now have quarantined. There are over 125 people under observation right now and at least 3 cases have already occured in Dallas. Also Spain and Germany have had cases as well. It is very real threat.
Three cases! Holy shit!

What we SHOULD do, JUST to be safe, is execute anyone who came within 50 feet- no, safety, 50 meters- of anyone who came near an Ebola patient. This is a very real threat, amiright? We can't afford to be reckless! ANYONE who came near them could have it. Think of the children!

Despite occasional flashes of incompetence, I'm prepared to let the health services community handle this one for now, because the public at large seems to want to bleat its gums about how dangerous this is without actually trying to solve anything. Let me know when we have a few hundred US-soil transmissions and we can start talking about measures like mass quarantine and purging, but until then, turn off the news and go outside.

Three cases! Holy shit!

What we SHOULD do, JUST to be safe, is execute anyone who came within 50 feet- no, safety, 50 meters- of anyone who came near an Ebola patient. This is a very real threat, amiright? We can't afford to be reckless! ANYONE who came near them could have it. Think of the children!

Despite occasional flashes of incompetence, I'm prepared to let the health services community handle this one for now, because the public at large seems to want to bleat its gums about how dangerous this is without actually trying to solve anything. Let me know when we have a few hundred US-soil transmissions and we can start talking about measures like mass quarantine and purging, but until then, turn off the news and go outside.

Two nurses taking protective measure were still able to contract it. One of those traveled and flew during the time she exhibited symptoms. Anyone on that plane, to include the 4 flights that followed could have it. The spouses and children of these people could contract it and spread it further. Ebola has been around for decades but now is wiping out far more people. It has also never traveled beyond Africa, but is now in 3 other countries outside of Africa.

Your response about executing people is idiotic, because this is a serious issue. The problem is that people become so arrogant that they think it can't effect them. This is two health care workers within one week out of a group of roughly 78 that could all potentially have it. The virus can take between 2-42 days to start showing signs. Just the spit from the second nurse speaking, her sweat, any coughing or sneezing is enough to contract. There are a lot of people who could have been infected on any of those 5 flights. These people could contaminate their families. This is a matter that requires a swift response as soon as it begins. You don't wait for a few 100 cases before quarantine.

This doesn't stem from me watching the news. I'm not one that typically buys into the hype of the news. I was never concerned for H1N1 or any of the typical fear mongering that is on the news. I'm not walling myself into my house. This is a military installation, each day we get together and have meetings on the subject, including information that has not been released by the media. As I type this I am within a mile of a man quarantined due to contact with an Ebola patient. Travel needs to be locked down point blank. Some schools here have already closed. There are a number of factors outside of the actually lethality of the disease that put us at danger as well.

I had my 'Ebola training' this week, as a Nurse in ICU, there's a slight possibility I could be caring for someone with the disease. It doesn't spread anywhere near as quickly or easily as the media are making out. People will panic for a while, I'm sure there'll be a few more cases in Western society, but I can't imagine it's going to be anywhere near an epidemic here.

Obviously not serious enough to preempt the problem, then.

Correct, it's not serious enough to begin executions, but it is serious enough for larger scale quarantine and massive restrictions on travel. It can get to a point, if not dealt with quickly enough, to where martial law is instated. I really hope things get better and the outbreak ends.

Correct, it's not serious enough to begin executions, but it is serious enough for larger scale quarantine and massive restrictions on travel. It can get to a point, if not dealt with quickly enough, to where martial law is instated. I really hope things get better and the outbreak ends.
You aren't taking this problem seriously enough. Clearly you don't understand what a threat Ebola is to our society. What if someone breaks out of quarantine, huh? What if an Ebolan gets in his car, drives into a city and starts spitting in people's mouths? What then????

Put down The Stand, it's a good read but you're working yourself up over a situation that's being handled by people better equipped than you are to handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back